PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good sci-fi or fantasy book to read, but I have certain requirements.

Darth Anarcus
01-08-2007, 07:00 PM
I was in Boarders yesterday bent on finding a good science fiction or fantasy book, however, here are the things I'm looking for, but was not able to find:

1. Either a stand-alone book, a duology or a trilogy. I don't want to jump into some big saga and have tons of catch-up reading to do.
2. I enjoy either futuristic space stories or swords and magic. However, I do not like girly things like unicorns and the like.

I was eyeing The Blood Knight, but they didn't have books 1 and 2.

Any suggestions?

Bunny
01-08-2007, 07:16 PM
The Sellswords Trilogy is a good series of books. R.A. Salvatore is the writer and it takes place in the same era as Drizzt Do'Urden's travels, and makes a couple mentions of previous adventures had by the two wouldbe heroes of the trilogy. However, reading all of Drizzt's Saga is not a requirement to enjoy the series.

Time Master Trilogy is also a good series but you won't find it at Borders or Barnes and Noble, unfortunately. Used book stores may carry it. I make mention of it because it is serious a good series of books. Honestly. I bet my life on it.

The Highwayman by R.A. Salvatore is a standalone series that is disconnected from Forgotten Realms and all of the rest of the books associated with it. It is a very good and quick ready, highly enjoyable. It's also pretty humorous too.

CimminyCricket
01-08-2007, 07:37 PM
The Dark elf trilogy, by R.A. Salvatore...and then the starwars books by R.A. Salvatore....EVERYTHING written by R.A. Salvatore

Ben
01-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Dragonlance FTW!!

ljkkjlcm9
01-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Ender's Game series.

There are currently four books in that series, all good, one more than a trilogy, but the first book can stand alone
Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind.

If you like that, there is another series based off those books, centering around other characters from Ender's Game. Not part of the original series, and also not required. The first book, Ender's Shadow, parallels Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant

THE JACKEL

Martyr
01-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Starman Jones, by Robert A. Heinlein

Darth Anarcus
01-09-2007, 05:11 AM
The Dark elf trilogy, by R.A. Salvatore...and then the starwars books by R.A. Salvatore....EVERYTHING written by R.A. Salvatore
Oh yes, I know. I read the Star Wars books all the time. I've got every single one of them.;)

Zeromus_X
01-09-2007, 05:21 AM
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'engel.

Now, it does have a heroine for a main character, and they do ride a creature that has physical similarities to a unicorn, but it's far from girly. Please give it a read.

There are also three other books if I recall, but they are only connected by the main characters and aren't really continuations of the same story. They're all good too, but the first one is the best.

blim
01-09-2007, 05:32 AM
Dont know what you have already read but Heinlein is good, i take it you've read Foundation by Isaac Asimov

look_out_below
01-09-2007, 06:36 AM
I would suggest just about anything by E.E. Knight. He currently has 2 series, the Vampire Earth, which is so far 4 books long, and the Age of Fire series that has 2 books (but in the age of fire series it doesnt matter which book you read first). His books are great because you really do not know how the story is going to end, the main and secondary major characters can and do lose.

Another series for consideration would be the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, which is three books long. This series is a bit different from your normal fantasy in that it takes place during the Napolenic wars and it is about how these wars would have been fought if dragons had existed and were being used in aerial combat. Sounds weird but it is good.

CimminyCricket
01-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Oh yes, I know. I read the Star Wars books all the time. I've got every single one of them.;)

I love you

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'engel.

Now, it does have a heroine for a main character, and they do ride a creature that has physical similarities to a unicorn, but it's far from girly. Please give it a read.

There are also three other books if I recall, but they are only connected by the main characters and aren't really continuations of the same story. They're all good too, but the first one is the best.

Every fourth grade at my old school(s) had to read that. So yes, its a GREAT Book.

Ichimonji
01-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Try reading The Obsidian Chronicles which is a three part series consisting of Dragon Weather, Dragon Society, and Dragon Vemon. I read a lot of book, and I can honestly say that those three books are the best fantasy books I've ever read. Prepare to be captivated.

Edit - The series is by Lawrence Watt-Evans

Renmiri
01-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Dragonlance FTW!!

Dragonlance is huge!!!! It is great but not a story solves itself in less then 4-5 paperbacks.

For some pretty good Sci-fi get Larry Niven:

The Mote in God's Eyes / Mote II
or
Integral Trees / The Smoke Ring
or
Bewoulf / Bewoulf's Children
or
Ringworld / RW II / RW II

I also like David Brin's Startide Rising and it's 2 sequels

Or for Fantasy: Stephen Brust
Jhereg/ Athyra and his other 4 books on the series

Stay away from Piers Anthony on the Fantasy shelves. Unicorns, kiddie stuff and girly stuff gallore. My kids love it!

Dr Aum
01-09-2007, 10:46 PM
For starters, everything by Philip K. Dick is wonderful. My personal favorite is _Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep_, on which Blade Runner is based. He has several other great sci-fi novels, though.

Also, if you don't mind reading what is essentially a huge book of short stories, I can't possibly recommend Cordwainer Smith's _The Rediscovery of Man_ more. It's an absolutely amazing experience.

Raistlin
01-09-2007, 10:50 PM
The Chronciles Trilogy, which starts DragonLance, is a good read that can be stand-alone (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Autumn Twilight). You get dragons, swords, and magic. And then there are other trilogies (Legends, War of the Souls) which fit into that story.

NeoCracker
01-09-2007, 10:52 PM
What could be better than the Hitchhikers trilogy?

Best sci=fi books ever.

Vincent, Thunder God
01-09-2007, 11:10 PM
I think you'll probably like the Otherland series. It's four books long (one longer than you wanted), but it's completed, so you won't have to read a long series.

krissy
01-10-2007, 04:01 AM
his dark materials trilogy by phillip pullman

Araciel
01-10-2007, 04:18 AM
any of the good FR or any D&D trilogy for that matter, though the RA salvatore stuff reminds me a bit much of comix...i would suggest the netheril trilogy, the avatar trilogy, shandril's saga maybe...though greenwood's writing always seems a bit dry to me.

Siegfried
01-10-2007, 04:21 AM
More sci-fi-y than the others but very good books, easy to pick up and read...

Ray Bradbury Short Story Books, "Driving Blind" and such...
Good reading but not overly fantasical

Isaac Asimov- Short Story books or the Foundation Series
He is most definately the greatest Sci-fi writer of all time...Will Smith didnt do him justice:tongue:

Scruator
01-11-2007, 06:14 PM
The best I would recommend are the first three books in the Dune saga; Dune, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune by Frank Herbert although the first one is fine by itself and the second and third are an extension of the first and the wrap up books respectively. There are more books based after them but these three work fine by themselves and the later books become a bit silly.

Other good reads are The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Ender's Game.

For fantasy then David Gemmell is worth a shout, Legend is a good starting point and most of his books are separate in their own rights but make up something larger.

These weren't released in the US but if you can get them then Ian Irvine is highly recommended, either saga in his Three World series A View from the Mirror (four books) or The Well of Echoes (four books) are excellent.

Renmiri
01-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Dune ? Zzzzzzz.........

What a snoozefest! It cures insomnia on fish!

CimminyCricket
01-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Dune ? Zzzzzzz.........

What a snoozefest! It cures insomnia on fish!

I agree with the, the books were HORRIBLY boring...

But the game...OMG I lost nearly as many ours of my life on FF8