PDA

View Full Version : Nerds.... UNITE!

Avarice-ness
01-08-2007, 09:49 PM
There hasn't been a severely flamed anime convention thread in a while, so I figured that I'd make one. n n

I plan on going to a convention either in June or October. I might move if my dad gets this job thing, and luckly for me if I do move to like Houston or something that place has like 3 or 4 active cons, Dallas only has one. But I mainly want to go for two things.

1. I want to sell prints of my art (only the good one's, and I might do sktches for people as well)
2. I wanna cosplay as something pretty.
3. I want Yo-shi-taka Amano to sign my hip..waist Skirt like this girl did. (Even though he won't be at the convention I'd be going to, I think last year was like a one time only thing. :( )

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/945835.jpg

What are your thoughts about cons, have you ever been to one, do you cosplay? If so as what? Or do you not cosplay and just point out all the people that had really bad yet funny costumes? :razz:

CimminyCricket
01-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I've never been to a con, but I would love too. And you said you're going? ...I'll fight you for it...the right to go that is...come on lets do this...

Avarice-ness
01-08-2007, 09:53 PM
I've never been to a con, but I would love too. And you said you're going? ...I'll fight you for it...the right to go that is...come on lets do this...

xD Yeah the last con I went to was in 2004 so I'm over due in my conage, I want to sell art at A-kon 'cause it has the largest artist alley in the US. You should just save up money, there's a con in almost everystate. Texas just has... way way to many cons, atleast 6 off the top of my head. :)

CimminyCricket
01-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Why save, when, like I said, I'll fight you for the rights :c)

Goldenboko
01-08-2007, 09:54 PM

*Cough*Kefka*Cough*

Avarice-ness
01-08-2007, 09:56 PM

*Cough*Kefka*Cough*

Dude, Kefka's my top choice right now. It's a fight between Rydia, a Sprite version of Celes (not amano's) and Kefka, right now Kefka's leading. :heart:

Old Manus
01-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Oh God these are so funny and corny.

Goldenboko
01-08-2007, 09:58 PM

*Cough*Kefka*Cough*

Dude, Kefka's my top choice right now. It's a fight between Rydia, a Sprite version of Celes (not amano's) and Kefka, right now Kefka's leading. :heart:

Go as Kefka, take a picture of yourself, and post it. I think all of EoFF would love to see that :p

Avarice-ness
01-08-2007, 10:01 PM

*Cough*Kefka*Cough*

Go as Kefka, take a picture of yourself, and post it. I think all of EoFF would love to see that :p

Yeah but wouldn't it be more appropriate to go as Relm since I'll be selling art and such, I'm only skeptical on her 'cause the damn tube top. And of course there would be pictures taken. xD If I did Kefka it'd be for the fact I could still look totally pretty being him~
Or Celes, god only knows I love Corsets. :love:

Martyr
01-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Con sounds like a great place to pick up easy girls who haven't known anything except nerds all their romantic life, but that isn't really anything remotely like a reason for me to consider going to one.

On a less jackass note-

It's probably a lot of fun, but it's nothing that I could get into.
I've been to Disney World as an unsuspecting participant of Star Wars weekend, and though the Star Wars stuff was cool, it didn't really float my boat to dress up and pretend to be a storm trooper or Luke or anything. I can only imagine what a Con, which isn't a weekend at disneyworld but a Con, would be like...

Goldenboko
01-08-2007, 10:02 PM

*Cough*Kefka*Cough*

Yeah but wouldn't it be more appropriate to go as Relm since I'll be selling art and such, I'm only skeptical on her 'cause the damn tube top. And of course there would be pictures taken. xD If I did Kefka it'd be for the fact I could still look totally pretty being him~

You could threaten people to buy your art or you'd kill them with... LIGHT OF JUDGEMENT!

Jowy
01-08-2007, 10:06 PM
I want to go to Otakon this year for my 21st birthday. I plan on getting really drunk and jumping on the first person I see in a Chocobo outfit.

Avarice-ness
01-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Con sounds like a great place to pick up easy girls who haven't known anything except nerds all their romantic life, but that isn't really anything remotely like a reason for me to consider going to one.

On a less jackass note-

It's probably a lot of fun, but it's nothing that I could get into.
I've been to Disney World as an unsuspecting participant of Star Wars weekend, and though the Star Wars stuff was cool, it didn't really float my boat to dress up and pretend to be a storm trooper or Luke or anything. I can only imagine what a Con, which isn't a weekend at disneyworld but a Con, would be like...

Surprisingly enough there are non-nerdy people there, at the con I went to in 2004 I saw a girl totally cosplayed out (she looked lovely by the way) and at High School she was easily classed as a prep for all the years in high school not to mention she was a cheerleader junior year. I was very surprised at that.
The con in Dallas appeals to gaming, Anime, and Fantasy/Sci-fi so it goes for everything, I go for the gaming part now and I prolly wouldn't be able to do much anyway 'cause I'd have to sit at my table and make people buy my stuff! >=[
But yeah, there are -alot- of those crazy one's that think they're actually the person they're cosplaying as. I say cosplayings only good if -you- personally make the costume yourself, if someone else made it it kind of looses it's flair.

I want to go to Otakon this year for my 21st birthday. I plan on getting really drunk and jumping on the first person I see in a Chocobo outfit.

Yeah at the con you can either drink in the bar only or bring alcohol in an ice chest but I don't think I need to be getting drunk at my table in the largest part of the con in a potential Kefka suit.
That just spells all kinds of fun disaster. :love:

Goldenboko
01-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Good thing I'm not going then... I'd have to start handing out rides xD

CimminyCricket
01-08-2007, 10:08 PM

lmto

StarlightAngel
01-08-2007, 11:54 PM
I've been attending Sakura-con since... er... a while? Not too long though XD

But it's always fun. Sadly, I've just been using the same costume (Starlight lacks teh sewing skillz) of Flonne, but this year I'm adding a Marona costume to the mix :3

Dr Aum
01-09-2007, 12:01 AM
I've always wanted to attend an anime con. Maybe I'll get around to it sometime soon.

One of my friends has been attending them for a long time, and he's now starting to cosplay. He's dressing as Saber from Fate/Stay Night for the next one. I have to admit, I've always wanted to see him in a wig and bra.

Avarice-ness
01-09-2007, 12:13 AM
I've always wanted to attend an anime con. Maybe I'll get around to it sometime soon.

One of my friends has been attending them for a long time, and he's now starting to cosplay. He's dressing as Saber from Fate/Stay Night for the next one. I have to admit, I've always wanted to see him in a wig and bra.

He better do saber justice. :p

Moon Rabbits
01-09-2007, 12:20 AM
I've never been to a real one per-se, but I went to that Anime North Halloween thing. I'm going to actual anime north this year, and cosplaying American McGee's Mad Hatter :D!

Jess
01-09-2007, 12:24 AM
I've never been to a convention before. I've never felt the need to cosplay. Heck, I don't even watch anime. Pfffft, some geek I am. :jess:

starseeker
01-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm planning to go to the next anime con that's in London.

Chloe.
01-09-2007, 05:59 PM
I've never been to a convention before. I've never felt the need to cosplay. Heck, I don't even watch anime. Pfffft, some geek I am. :jess:

Yeah, same. :bigsmile:

Although I do think some cosplayers look really cool. :bigsmile:

CimminyCricket
01-09-2007, 06:50 PM

Yes, but there are some that make you think, "Wth were you thinking.."
Others are like, "OMG you are AMAZING"

Avarice-ness
01-09-2007, 06:59 PM

Yes, but there are some that make you think, "Wth were you thinking.."
Others are like, "OMG you are AMAZING"

You know what's really funny about that.

Normally the people who have the costume that everyone is all "Dude... :eep: " they're the one's that actually get someone to make their costume. xD They either don't have the ability to sew or don't want to fork out the cash for fabrics and such, so they'll basically go to a custom clothing designer hand them a picture of what they want, they sew it with some cheapo fabric and since they don't have much insight into what the character actually looks like it ends up being really plain and just bad to look at.

The one's that have the "Oh Wow! That's awesome!" costumes normally make it themselves, alot of times people will cosplay as people from the same series so they can help each other sew on things so it's a really fun team effort. Alot of con-goers take sewing classes just to be able to make costumes, and some of them even make some to look great but they sell them to people who know to NOT go to a custom clothing maker. :razz:

escobert
01-09-2007, 07:04 PM
can I dress up like simba?

Avarice-ness
01-09-2007, 07:36 PM
can I dress up like simba?

BertBert you're so silly.

But actually I've seen a number of disney Princess' being cosplayed at Anime cons, along with Lord of the Rings people and basically anything from a fantasy genre. Most people dress as someone from a Video Game 'cause the one's that do anime cosplay end up cosplaying the most popular anime at the time, hence the million naruto cosplayers, the million FMA cosplayers, the Bleach cosplayers. Cosplaying as someone from a game is easier, plus half the time most people won't know who you are, so when they ask they can actually learn something! :razz:

Bunny
01-09-2007, 07:52 PM

I would like to take the time out of my busy schedule (BIG RUBBER BAND BALLLLLL!!!) to inform everyone that there is absolutely nothing wrong with tube tops, given that the person wearing them can pull it off. Corsets are very lovely too. The more you know!

I almost went to a convention one time. I was going to dress up as some dude from Suikoden with a large group of friends. (Un?)forunately, shortly after planning the outing, I had a falling out with the majority of them (which ended up leading to all of them) and it never happened. I haven't really thought about it since then, which was a good three or four years ago. Hm.

I'm not all that interested in conventions.

Levian
01-09-2007, 07:52 PM
You should totally dress up like Chadarnook, all you need is a fog machine.

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Bosses/26%20-%20Chadarnook%20(FF6).gif

or I guess you could always steal someones clothes and say you're Gogo.

escobert
01-09-2007, 07:57 PM

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Bosses/26%20-%20Chadarnook%20(FF6).gif

that is sexy, but I don't think my boobs are good enough for that :(

Tasura
01-09-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm contemplating going to AniMaritime, it's like the only Con this side of half the country. I doubt that I'll cosplay, if I do it just be in Kendo gear so I can face beat people with a shanai.

Avarice-ness
01-09-2007, 08:16 PM

that is sexy, but I don't think my boobs are good enough for that :(

Hey you get your sprites from the same place I do!

BertBert when did you get boobs? :(

And sure Lev! I could just NOT DO THAT. Gogo would be kind of fun though, 'cause then I could post a picture of me in the FFVI "IS GOGO A MAN?!" threads and tell them I have proof he's a woman. :razz:

StarChild
01-09-2007, 08:16 PM
I believe I am going to Sakura-con this year, I need to make sure that's the plan with a friend.

Little Blue
01-10-2007, 12:25 AM
I'd love to go to a Star Trek convention one day, dressed in one of the grey uniforms from late DS9 and the latest films. Unfortunately, I dunno when the next one in the UK is... or where to get one of those uniforms :cry:

Wolf Kanno
01-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I've attended Nan Desu Kon for a number of years and I enjoy cosplaying though I'm terrible at sewing. I plan to one day build a Captain Herlock costume completely on my own.

I usually get my kicks doing Cosplay Skits (basically going on stage in costume and acting like a drunken idio... I mean performing a short play...) This year I hope to do a MGS skit, complete with cardboard boxes and musical numbers...

Cons are pretty fun on their own, it helps if you have a plan. It's really fun if you can drag a small army of friends and start raising hell. Costume themes are great too, I have only done two (Ranma 1/2 and Cardcaptor Sakura themes) but you tend to get stopped everywhere for picutures and hugs. I want to do an FFVI theme. I'm debating about going as Kefka, Edgar, Locke, or Shadow. I can probably only pull these four off...

Behold the Void
01-10-2007, 04:26 PM
I've been going to Sakura con. My University's anime club is doing a Bleach group, and my character is going to be a spoiler. It will be amusing.

Although the anime will probably have reached that point by then since the fillers have FINALLY ENDED.

I can't sew, but a friend of mine can so I comissioned a costume from her. I buy all the fabric and am paying her, of course, but it should be really cool. I'm going to probably get some help on the props but will do more work on those myself.

I like cons, they're fun. And generally expensive x_x. But they have a lot of cool stuff you can't get elsewhere.

XxSephirothxX
01-10-2007, 04:29 PM
I went to Dragoncon in Atlanta last year. It was okay, but I think a lot of the people who cosplay are kind of...sad and creepy.

Behold the Void
01-10-2007, 04:43 PM
I went to Dragoncon in Atlanta last year. It was okay, but I think a lot of the people who cosplay are kind of...sad and creepy.

Obviously you've not seen all of the hot girls that cosplay ^_^

Flying Mullet
01-10-2007, 04:45 PM
I think a lot of the people who cosplay are kind of...sad and creepy.

XxSephirothxX
01-10-2007, 04:50 PM

No, I have. And while I still find the entire process of cosplaying a bit unnerving, it's more the people who have absolutely no resemblance to the character they're trying to be that gets to me. For every hot, skimpily-clad girl at those cons there's at least one (probably more like 2 or 3) who is either obese or simply completely wrong for the character they're dressed up as. That's when it's sad and creepy.

Avarice-ness
01-10-2007, 05:56 PM

No, I have. And while I still find the entire process of cosplaying a bit unnerving, it's more the people who have absolutely no resemblance to the character they're trying to be that gets to me. For every hot, skimpily-clad girl at those cons there's at least one (probably more like 2 or 3) who is either obese or simply completely wrong for the character they're dressed up as. That's when it's sad and creepy.

I almost lost all faith (and want to cosplay Rydia) because of two...rather large... girls cosplaying as rydia in a PLAIN GREEN SWIMSUIT, after I made sure I wasn't blind I realized I've kind of been turned off from wanting to be Rydia a bit (Hence Kefka's being number one~) 'cause they're kind of putting shame to her name, I could so pull it off but I don't want to have to make a costume to bring Rydia's name back up the FF cosplay scale. :( But there are people who are average that can pull a costume off well. To my memory, the best Yuna at A-kon the year I went was prolly alittle larger than most people, but she pulled the cosplay off very nicely.

Now when a larger girl wants to go as Felicia from Night/Darkstalkers we have a problem. :(

A good number of people don't cosplay as people they don't think they could pull off, so every cosplayer you see, deep in their mind they believe they're pulling the costume off well even if it doesn't seem like it.

And it seems that alot of already really pretty girls purposely dress scantally clad to 'show people that female gamers, anime fans, fantasy fans and so on aren't all geeky looking, fat and slobby' but there's always the line that could be crossed.

Like dressing up as Chadarnook. > >

Flying Mullet
01-10-2007, 06:10 PM
So I have to ask; how good are your costumes?

StarlightAngel
01-11-2007, 12:55 AM
I make mine from clothes I find in stores, so they obviously aren't the greatest. But it works.
Next time I'll probably commision the girl that 'Void's having make his.