PDA

View Full Version : Could you live a year with only bear neccesities, but at the end you get 1 million

Sakura
01-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Title says it all, just bare nessesities, no luxury, at the end of the year you got 1 million bucks, could you do it :p

Me? Hell no

Jojee
01-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Define bare necessities o_O;

Does that include - a clean shower, toilet paper, and computer? xD (Come on, computer is a bare necessity! ;-; )

Martyr
01-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Show me the contract, lend me a pen to sign it, and throw me under a bridge. Here, take my shirt.

Sakura
01-08-2007, 11:05 PM
No internet, like 5 minute showers, no cute clothes, no snacking whenever you want, just what you need to survive =p Like a poor person, I can say this because if you're on the internet you can't be that poor :|

Jojee
01-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Pfft it'd have to be more than a million. *hugs my clothes and intranets* ^^

Martyr
01-08-2007, 11:08 PM
No internet, like 5 minute showers, no cute clothes, no snacking whenever you want, just what you need to survive =p Like a poor person, I can say this because if you're on the internet you can't be that poor :|

Living like that would be terrifically easy. I've done it for nearly a year of my own accord. It's no sweat. I'd do it for 4000 bucks, well, a few years ago I would. Not really now...

I seriously thought you meant that we get bread if we can steal it from the ducks at the park, and that there's water under the bridge.

The hard part would be not getting arrested for indecent exposure or scaring small children.

Scaring Small Children is a felony in most states.

DarkLadyNyara
01-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Show me the contract, lend me a pen to sign it, and throw me under a bridge. Here, take my shirt.

Exactly. Especially since I can access the internets from school. :D

LoveArya
01-08-2007, 11:10 PM
hell yes i could! no wait.......... not for a million bucks, itd have to be more:D

Sakura
01-08-2007, 11:17 PM
You don't get internet either :<
You're too poor to pay the taxes for the school to allow you to use intranets ^_^?
That means like one set of clothing, the internet's not the ONLY thing that your life consists of ya know?

DarkLadyNyara
01-08-2007, 11:19 PM
You're too poor to pay the taxes for the school to allow you to use intranets ^_^?

I don't pay taxes as it is. And there is still the public library.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
01-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Heh..I'd say no. If I were to even think about it, It'd have to be way more than a million. :razz:

Madame Adequate
01-08-2007, 11:24 PM
I don't think I could. Boredom would easily overwhelm me.

Kanshisha
01-08-2007, 11:25 PM
lol i would! i have relatives that would give me clothes food and shelter also a computer with the internet!...

Tavrobel
01-08-2007, 11:25 PM

Sakura
01-08-2007, 11:26 PM
I mean LIVE with no neccesities =[!
Not find ways to loophole and get luxuries, I bet if I said "Live a year with no internet and luxuries" it'd be a diffrent reply

Martyr
01-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Heh..I'd say no. If I were to even think about it, It'd have to be way more than a million. :razz:

Dudette, why? I mean, do you have any idea how much a million dollars is?
Sure it isn't as much as it was in the 70s, but you can still maintain a very nice living on a million bucks. Buy a house, go to college, eat good food, let the property value mature so it become millions later on.

And for what? A year of being kinda hungry, and getting wet when it rains?

I'll admit that it might be harder for a girl, because even I'd be afraid of getting mugged every time I fell asleep, I can't imagine your fear, but it's worth it if it's only a year. And you don't have to live in the city, you know. You could walk over to a low population agricultural area and steal watermelons and sleep in tall grass or something.

It really isn't too bad. I wandered around Colorado for a couple weeks before finding a ranch (Which also wasn't much for me) to live on for a while. I could do it for 50 more if a million dollars was on the line.

Plus, you'd get experienced. You'd be hard-core by the time it's over. I mean, you could sleep on the floor like nothing, and then you could bore your rich little kids with stories of how rough you had it for a year in order to get a headstart on life.

Dr Aum
01-08-2007, 11:28 PM

DarkLadyNyara
01-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Oh, now you say no loopholes. :grumble:

Still, a million is a nice bit of cash, so yeah, I'd manage. I'd have to kill hookers to fight the boredom, but I'd manage.

Faris
01-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Sure, why not? :D Just so long as I got food, water, clothes, shower and books, I'm good.

Sakura
01-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Tsk tsk books are a luxury!

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-08-2007, 11:34 PM
For a million? Yes

Martyr
01-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Are we allowed to talk to other people?

Faris
01-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Tsk tsk books are a luxury!

Oh really? Oh well, just so long as I have everything else, I'm good.

Sakura
01-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Yes I don't think it costs anything to talk to people xD

Okay think about the people that live without any luxury now, and they don't get a million dollars :<

Araciel
01-08-2007, 11:42 PM
i'll do you one better: throw me into the woods with a knife for a year and i'll come out and take 2 million

Martyr
01-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Okay think about the people that live without any luxury now, and they don't get a million dollars :<

Alright. I saw that coming from about 4.3 miles away. Give or take. I don't know the exact numbers.

Kanshisha
01-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah but if you lived by yourself...with no food you would like spend $200
worth of food because you are starving after that 1 year for a million yes 200 on first day for food....

Bunny
01-08-2007, 11:46 PM
"Bare necessisites" is defined by person-to-person, as I can live easily without a lost of the stuff others would define as necessary. Really, you give me my girlfriend, a set of clothes, and a steady supply of food and water, and I can go for longer than a year.

And yes, those are necessary for my survival.

Reles
01-08-2007, 11:47 PM
My life would be miserable without those things, so I'd turn the offer down. Maybe if I had a stronger desire for money, but I'm fine right now.

Martyr
01-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Yeah but if you lived by yourself...with no food you would like spend $200
worth of food because you are starving after that 1 year for a million yes 200 on first day for food....

What? If I won a million bucks, I'd celebrate with a party, probably something that costs around $30,000 to throw.

If I was so selfish that I was going to spend $200.00 on myself for 1 meal, then I'd make it $500.00 and pick up a chick while I'm at it.

Jowy
01-08-2007, 11:49 PM
I could hack it. When I'm old and retired I plan on living in the woods and killing bears to survive.

Martyr
01-08-2007, 11:56 PM
I could hack it. When I'm old and retired I plan on living in the woods and killing bears to survive.

You already get BEAR neccesities.

Sakura
01-08-2007, 11:56 PM
My parents say i'm going to live out in the woods with the bears if I don't maintain my strait A- average ;.;
Last time I was 7 and I got a c on this coloring patterns project and they made me stay outside for a night to teach me how poor people who failed at life and school lived ;_;

No relation to topic ._.

Martyr
01-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Yeah, and one day you'll realize that all you have to do is move to another, less expensive city, and living requires nothing more than work.

I've come up from the bottom. It's a matter of determination, not grades.

The reason most people who are poor and homeless are poor and homeless is that they got some kind of mental illness that prevents them from maintaining a normal lifestyle.

Poverty is one thing, but living on the streets is completely different. (At least, in America)

Cipher
01-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Yeah, sure, I could do it. Bare necessities for me would be just food, water, the ability to shower at least once a week, female necessities, clothing and a place to sleep. Possibly books, but then again I don't need that to survive...just would make the year go by much quicker.

Without books though, I'd probably just be sleeping ALL the time. Like serious hibernation-mode. I actually did that one summer. Didn't go anywhere really. That was fun... it sucked trying to readjust my schedule in the week before college started, though. I wonder if that's what bears have to deal with in the spring...

/tangent

Yeah. I'd do it.

Kanshisha
01-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Lol i guess but you would also have to pay for the house payments which is overdue 1 year! so there goes half of the money!

Meat Puppet
01-09-2007, 12:11 AM
In the name of a non-existent millionaire that I created, I would first buy a castle for—out of a stroke of luck—$10,000. I would then spend the next few days getting taxied around in a limo, buying all sorts of toys and junk I would never really need, and buying expensive dinner and jewelery for a significantly older woman that I happen to be chasing. It will climax at a massive birthday party I will throw for my imaginary friend and I, where I would find I am down to around $300. Broke and deserted, I create myself a miserable rut to wallow in for a few hours.
Soon enough, the real owners of the money come to collect their cash. I am sure you can guess how mad they would be when they find out their money is all gone. They begin devising a plan, but I am able to escape, with a brief Home Alone-esque scene ensuing (I will even get the opportunity to utter the infinitely-hilarious “That’s gotta hurt!” when someone gets the groin shot). The criminals (the owners of the money are criminals, it seems) eventually do catch me, and it seems now that I am really going to get punished. But what’s this? That girl that I was chasing was in the FBI the whole time, investigating the mystery millionaire I created. Just when it seems that I have to come clean about my lying and deceit, another stroke of luck hits: it turns out that one of criminals actually planned to take the name of my imaginary millionaire, thinking that the new name would mean he wouldn’t have to return to prison. Two men are arrested, and then the FBI arrests the third one just for good measure. Now depressed that the girl was only interested in me for my information, I resume moping (despite the fact that I should be extremely grateful that I have just gotten away with what I have). However, when I talk it over with her, it seems that she has developed an interest in me. She promised 8-10 years, and I am able to bargain 6.
I go home, and finish celebrating my birthday. When asked for what I wish for, I hit them with the honorable “I’ve got everything I want right here” (after stealing $1 Million, lying, spending it and not coming clean, I’m not exactly the most noble and honorable guy, am I?), though after that—in a 90s twist of extreme radness—I see a picture of my girl and hit them with the “On second thought!”

So I pretty much get off without getting punished or learning any valuable lessons at all. On the plus side, I will probably obsess with the girl for those 6 years, and kill one of us when I find out she is married.

So no. I couldn’t. About a week.

But could you do it for a blank check?

No. And yes, I read the thread wrong. But I have been planning this for a long time. Give me a break.

Sakura
01-09-2007, 12:15 AM
That's how life works :p

You can pay for your house
I think living things need a shelter :\
And air food and water ^_^

Martyr
01-09-2007, 12:15 AM
But could you do it for a blank check?

kikimm
01-09-2007, 12:21 AM
For a million dollars, yeah, I would do it. :|

Sakura
01-09-2007, 12:31 AM
By a blank check do you mean any amount you want :p?
A blank check by bill gates maybe? :p

blackmage_nuke
01-09-2007, 12:42 AM
I'd probably start of fine then crack a quater of the way through, break the rules and they wouldnt give me the million and I would have wasted 3 months of my life, so no.

Is that American dollars or another country?

-

Mirage
01-09-2007, 01:31 AM
No. It would be like asking me to remove a year from my life, as I wouldn't have a life during that period. A year of my life is worth more than a million dollars.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-09-2007, 01:40 AM
id do it in a heartbeat

Goldenboko
01-09-2007, 01:42 AM
Yes, I'd just rock back and forth for a year saying, "Remember the million. Remember the million. Remember the million. Remember the million. Remember the million." OVER and OVER and OVER.

Giga Guess
01-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Oh, now you say no loopholes. :grumble:

Still, a million is a nice bit of cash, so yeah, I'd manage. I'd have to kill hookers to fight the boredom, but I'd manage.

GTA...the LARP edition. :p

Me? I doubt it. I'm sorry, but I guess I'm just way too attached to the luxuries of life. That, and it gets mighty cold here at night. That said, my showers are already about 5 mins (Unless I do it for relaxation, as opposed to getting clean), so I guess I'm partway there.

Nominus Experse
01-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Fuck, I'd do that if it were 5 years.

1 Million dollars is much more than I ever am, most likely, going to be making in the next ten or twenty years, and if invested properly, I could very well live off of such a stash for another twenty or so years. Hell, it could conceivably be a free ticket to doing what I want to do for the rest of my life if invested properly.

theundeadhero
01-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Just send me back to Iraq for another year.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
01-09-2007, 04:26 PM
No. And I don't really need 1 million bucks that bad

blim
01-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Quite easily, although no guitar would be hard

Christmas
01-09-2007, 05:20 PM
There was one guy that said he can live on just water for years.

Chloe.
01-09-2007, 05:22 PM
No way.

I need my cute clothes and stuff. :bigsmile:

Peegee
01-09-2007, 05:47 PM
You kidding? I ate Ramen for months at a time. Sign me up.

PS there are plenty of people who live under the line of poverty for YEARS at a time. Is your challenge supposed to be difficult? I'm not being argumentative, but it does seem a little unrealistic.

Trent
01-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Giving up a whole year for a million..

Ah man, normally I'd say yes, but when thinking about it,

I've got so many habits I'm way too used to, and as said earlier:

Boredom would be unbearable. :X

Giga Guess
01-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Giving up a whole year for a million..

Ah man, normally I'd say yes, but when thinking about it,

I've got so many habits I'm way too used to, and as said earlier:

Boredom would be unbearable. :X

Well, that's just it. I'd love to say "Oh yeah, easy!" But it'd be torture. Especially if it'd be self-denial, as opposed to forced to live that way.

blim
01-09-2007, 06:21 PM
You kidding? I ate Ramen for months at a time. Sign me up.

PS there are plenty of people who live under the line of poverty for YEARS at a time. Is your challenge supposed to be difficult? I'm not being argumentative, but it does seem a little unrealistic.

Same here (well uk equivalent of ramen)

I guess the thinking is that we have got so used to our material comforts that giving them up would be difficult

Peegee
01-09-2007, 06:38 PM
You'd be mighty spoiled if you answered no for this thread, no offence intended.

Martyr
01-09-2007, 06:48 PM
In an effort to not be bored, would I be allowed to start, like, a non-profit business?

Trent
01-09-2007, 07:11 PM
You'd be mighty spoiled if you answered no for this thread, no offence intended.

None taken.

But

I can surely imagine myself going mental without music, for example. ^_°

blim
01-09-2007, 07:18 PM
In an effort to not be bored, would I be allowed to start, like, a non-profit business?

To avoid boredom i'd walk the AT (it would take up a fair bit of the year and i wouldn't have to carry anything if i had nothing)

Then i'd do John o'groats to lands end.

Oh, forgot to check, tobacco counts as a neccessity doesn't it?

escobert
01-09-2007, 07:22 PM
hell yes I could.

LunarWeaver
01-09-2007, 07:24 PM
There's really nothing I wouldn't do for money.

CimminyCricket
01-09-2007, 07:38 PM
There's really nothing I wouldn't do for money.

Really...?

yes, I could do it. It'd suck for a while, but meh, what're you gonna do? Its $1 Million. That's relatively easy...wait! Is it tax exempt?!

edczxcvbnm
01-09-2007, 07:48 PM
1) Is this tax exempt?
2) What are the clear cut rules and definition of bear neccesities?
3) I still get to go to my job and earn the $$$ right? That is my livelyhood you be fuckin' with!
4) From what I have read this would not be that hard.

fire_of_avalon
01-09-2007, 07:59 PM
I've seriously been close enough to doing that with no recompense. No problemo.

boys from the dwarf
01-09-2007, 09:35 PM
beat neccesities.

that pretty much means whatever i need to survive.

i'd do it in winter so that way i get heat food and water.

but in summer i probably wouldn't need clothes.

i wouldn't do it because i'd probably be completely destroyed after an entire year with nothing. it wouldn't be worth it. i dont exactly need 1 million £ right now so giving up a year of my life would be pointless. i want the money but i wouldn't do that for it. maybe a week for about 20,000 but a week is a very long time with nothing to do and only the bare essentials to surive, so that would be my limit.

not that im lazy or anything but i wouldn't do that to myself.

-N-
01-09-2007, 11:37 PM
No internet, like 5 minute showers, no cute clothes, no snacking whenever you want, just what you need to survive =p Like a poor person, I can say this because if you're on the internet you can't be that poor :|Yeah for sure. I got love on my side!

Sakura
01-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Wow nice replies everyone ^_^ I asked some people at school and I was suprised that 100% of them say no they couldn't :p

Mirage
01-10-2007, 12:29 AM
That's not surprising at all.

Sakura
01-10-2007, 12:32 AM
And that's supposed to mean -.-?

Mirage
01-10-2007, 12:36 AM
It means that I am not surprised by many people saying they would not want to live like a hobo for a year.