PDA

View Full Version : RPGs on the Wii

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-09-2007, 04:26 AM
Do you think Nintendo will have more RPGs on their system in this console generation? Because right now there's only one RPG on the Wii and that's Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn is in development and scheduled for release in Q2 according to Wikipedia but that's the only upcoming RPG I know of.

Dr Aum
01-09-2007, 04:54 AM
Briefly discussed here (http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2006/091406a.html).

ljkkjlcm9
01-09-2007, 05:03 AM
Nintendo is going to get plenty of RPGs on their system... from Dragon Quest, to FF:CC, Fire Emblem... Probably many many more, considering their amazing success so far

THE JACKEL

Vermachtnis
01-09-2007, 05:08 AM
I can't wait to play a Tales of game on the WII!

JKTrix
01-09-2007, 12:25 PM
I can't click that link that Dr. Aum posted, but I do know that Camelot--the folks behind Golden Sun--are working on an RPG for the Wii. Square-Enix is bound to have more on the way other than spinoffs of their 2 main series, look out for some new properties to come from them eventually.

RiseToFall
01-09-2007, 02:37 PM
None of those games are really 'must buy' titles, at least for me(I'll see how Sword of Legendia turns out.) I'm sure more of them will be announced soon though.

Edit: I don't consider Zelda an RPG. Just wanted to say that before everyone attacks me for not saying it's a must buy game.

Jowy
01-09-2007, 02:46 PM
I hope Suikoden VI comes out on the Wii.

Crossblades
01-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Wii RPGs in development

Fire Emblem
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles:Crystal Bearers
Sword of Legendia
Dragon Quest Swords:The Masked Queen
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Super Paper Mario(Though this game looks more like a platformer than an RPG)
Harvest Moon

And other companies have announced RPGs, but they haven't given details or the name of their games

Dreddz
01-09-2007, 04:20 PM
RPG's on the Wii will suck because the developers would feel the need to incorporate Wii functions in absolutely everything. Hell, most of the RPG's announced are just spin-off's which developers are only making because of the controller, once these mediocre titles are out, maybe then they can concentrate on "proper" RPG's.

Erdrick Holmes
01-09-2007, 10:58 PM
DQ Swords and Pokemon Battle Revolution will rock. There's also supposed to be some 'breed a creature' type game for the Wii that's not Pokemon where you capture and raise monsters.

KentaRawr!
01-09-2007, 11:44 PM
I must admit, I doubt there will be many good RPGs for the Wii for a while, unless they come up with some nice substitute for the regular control scheme in RPGs that has absolutely NOTHING to do with aiming at specific commands.

Roto13
01-09-2007, 11:49 PM
I'd love to aim at specific commands. :P

ljkkjlcm9
01-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Saying RPGs on the Wii will suck, is like saying RPGs on the DS suck. I'm sorry but there are great RPGs on the DS, and there will be great ones on the Wii. I'm sure there will be some RPGs where you point and click at commands, but it won't be required, like with the DS FFIII, you can use the touch screen for the entire game, but don't have to... I know I don't. Plus I think an action RPG, like a Tales game would be great. Nunchuck style, left hand moves, right hand swing to attack. Up for upward attack, straight forward for stab, horizontal, and vertical swings. Then mix and match for combos, maybe hold down A then a direction swing for the special moves. It'd work great.

THE JACKEL

Dreddz
01-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Saying RPGs on the Wii will suck, is like saying RPGs on the DS suck. I'm sorry but there are great RPGs on the DS, and there will be great ones on the Wii. I'm sure there will be some RPGs where you point and click at commands, but it won't be required, like with the DS FFIII, you can use the touch screen for the entire game, but don't have to... I know I don't. Plus I think an action RPG, like a Tales game would be great. Nunchuck style, left hand moves, right hand swing to attack. Up for upward attack, straight forward for stab, horizontal, and vertical swings. Then mix and match for combos, maybe hold down A then a direction swing for the special moves. It'd work great.

THE JACKAL
Its not the actual gameplay, but everything else thats the problem. Developers dont give a toss about anything but the stupid controller. And all you could really use it for is an action RPG. And that would still only consist of swinging the nunchuck one way to another. Any other take on the RPG genre wouldnt work, as you said, in FFIII you dont even bother to use the stylus. This is going to apply with alot of Wii games, and whats the point of putting any game on the Wii, if the controller isnt going to be used properly, especially when it could of been done better on the other two consoles.

I await a game to prove me wrong, but at the moment, that RPG list is trash, its all spin-off's off a popular series. No new original series's on there.

Erdrick Holmes
01-10-2007, 02:23 AM
So what if it's a spin-off? As long as the game is fun who cares?

Roto13
01-10-2007, 02:50 AM
So what if it's a spin-off? As long as the game is fun who cares?

There's a reason people play Final Fantasy Tactics.

LunarWeaver
01-10-2007, 02:59 AM
I definitely hope it has more than the Gamecube does. I think the Wii controller is perfectly suited for the genre and developers should focus on using it to enhance the experience. Considering that RPG's are almost entirely NPC-clicking, menu-picking, equipment changing, and clicking on skills to learn in some sort of system, the controller would be able to do all that with ease. Why not use it?

But like any new system, they're probably going to get a lot of crap before anything substantial. None of the announced games are getting much excitement from me yet, but so little is known about them and it's too early to judge anything yet.

I also think the Ps3 will get some heavy RPGs too eventually, so I'm waiting to see if Sony grabs the good ones this round yet again. If they do, then I won't bother getting a Wii at all.

And for everybody who buys a Wii that did not own a Gamecube, buy Tales of Symphonia and both Baten Kaitos games so the surge in sales gets me even more sequels.

ljkkjlcm9
01-10-2007, 03:16 AM
Its not the actual gameplay, but everything else thats the problem. Developers dont give a toss about anything but the stupid controller. And all you could really use it for is an action RPG. And that would still only consist of swinging the nunchuck one way to another. Any other take on the RPG genre wouldnt work, as you said, in FFIII you dont even bother to use the stylus. This is going to apply with alot of Wii games, and whats the point of putting any game on the Wii, if the controller isnt going to be used properly, especially when it could of been done better on the other two consoles.

I await a game to prove me wrong, but at the moment, that RPG list is trash, its all spin-off's off a popular series. No new original series's on there.

I bolded you contradicting yourself. You get mad and say developers will only care about the controller, but then complain if they don't use the controller. I may not use the stylus for FFIII DS, but it's still an amazing game/remake. And I'm still glad it's on the DS. Even if an RPG doesn't use the Wii-mote capabilities, if it's a good game I won't care. And who says it could be done better on the other two consoles. That is just your opinion. I didn't know there were ANY new series on consoles really now adays. 75% of games, are spinoffs and series. Obviously you'll announce series on a system before brand new titles, because people will know what to expect. Let's say, a RPG called "Destiny Prodigy" was announced. That's all you hear. You think that's going to get any hype next to that list of series? No, none at all. So while there may be new RPGs in the making already, you won't hear about them til they have screens, gameplay information, and maybe even movies of it.

THE JACKEL

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-10-2007, 07:29 AM
I sincerely hope that a developer creates a brand new RPG series that's exclusive to the Wii and is unique...Because as much as I like RPGs you've got to admit they're all pretty much the same and they kind of blend in with each other after a while.

Dreddz
01-10-2007, 01:44 PM

I bolded you contradicting yourself. You get mad and say developers will only care about the controller, but then complain if they don't use the controller. I may not use the stylus for FFIII DS, but it's still an amazing game/remake. And I'm still glad it's on the DS. Even if an RPG doesn't use the Wii-mote capabilities, if it's a good game I won't care. And who says it could be done better on the other two consoles. That is just your opinion. I didn't know there were ANY new series on consoles really now adays. 75% of games, are spinoffs and series. Obviously you'll announce series on a system before brand new titles, because people will know what to expect. Let's say, a RPG called "Destiny Prodigy" was announced. That's all you hear. You think that's going to get any hype next to that list of series? No, none at all. So while there may be new RPGs in the making already, you won't hear about them til they have screens, gameplay information, and maybe even movies of it.

THE JACKAL

I never said I hated them using the controller, I said they should put less focus on it, and put more effort into everything else. And I didnt say there wont be any new RPG series's on the Wii, Im saying at the moment, there no where to be seen. Admittedly, the other two consoles arent showing much new stuff, but theres alot more of it on them than on the Wii.

JKTrix
01-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Developers don't have to use the Wii functions, but it is definitely true that most/all of them will be trying to implement the features in their games. Once the 'oh, that's cool!' gimmick dies down, hopefully we'll be able to see some more in-depth stuff.

DQ Swords was looking like one of those lame plug-in TV games, but the more I see of it (http://www.gamebrink.com/news/776-Dragon_Quest_Swords_Jump_Festa_Trailer.html) the more interesting it becomes. For me it's gone from a 'write-off' to me keeping my eye on it.

ljkkjlcm9
01-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Developers don't have to use the Wii functions, but it is definitely true that most/all of them will be trying to implement the features in their games. Once the 'oh, that's cool!' gimmick dies down, hopefully we'll be able to see some more in-depth stuff.

DQ Swords was looking like one of those lame plug-in TV games, but the more I see of it (http://www.gamebrink.com/news/776-Dragon_Quest_Swords_Jump_Festa_Trailer.html) the more interesting it becomes. For me it's gone from a 'write-off' to me keeping my eye on it.

unsurprisingly, you use the wiimote to do attacks/sword swipes.

THE JACKEL

Skyblade
01-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Actually, the biggest problem with the Wiimote is its lack of additional buttons. There are two main buttons on the remote itself, the A and B buttons. The +, -, 1, and 2 buttons are located too far down the remote for convenient access. Since there are so few buttons, there is no choice but to use Wiimote movements to control the game, since most games now require four or more buttons. I don't mind the Wiimote, but alot of people do, and I'm sure they'd prefer some options. Hopefully some game developers will consider the Wii Classic Controller.

JKTrix
01-10-2007, 05:41 PM
The wiimote is designed to have an unintimidating control scheme, the button count is fine. But yeah, the classic controller plugs into the wiimote, so there may be some applications that will use the traditional button layout in addition to the WiiWand.

Besides, if it is a turn-based affair, you really only need 2 buttons: one to select an option, one to cancel the selection. Even the 'cancel' button is optional if the menus are laid out well enough. It would be a problem if the Wiimote were the only possible way to control games on the Wii--something Nintendo wouldn't be so silly to do. The fact that the controller can be expanded upon removes any potential problems with the button layout--in theory. While true that you can just plug in the appropriate controller, the hindrance will be obtaining that plug-in peripheral if you don't already have it.

tidus_rox
01-20-2007, 05:25 AM
My Wii broke :(:(... I want to trade it for a ps3... They are better

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-20-2007, 11:24 PM
I'd really like to see a western developed RPG on the Wii but...it's more likely that a western developer would create a RPG for the 360.

Shoeberto
01-20-2007, 11:34 PM
I'd really like to see a western developed RPG on the Wii but...it's more likely that a western developer would create a RPG for the 360.
I think it'd work. Western RPGs are most common on the PC due to using mouse input heavily to wade through menus easily - the Wii controller is perfect for that. It could work.

That said, I don't see Fallout 3 headed for Wii, but hopefully it'll get some titles like that.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-24-2007, 04:54 AM
I'd also like to see RPG Maker 4 on the Wii but it seems unlikely because the console versions of RPG Maker 1-3 have been released on the PSOne and PS2 respectively.

JKTrix
01-24-2007, 01:30 PM
My Wii broke :(:(... I want to trade it for a ps3... They are better

...what?

I think it'll be a little while before we see some bigger/higher quality RPGs coming for the Wii, if ever. PS1 got most of the RPG support because of the cheaper Disc format (among other things) while N64 was still using cartridges, despite the 64 being a more powerful system. That carried on with the brand when it came to PS2, plus the massive install base that the Playstation name had by then.

Based on that history, there is a chance that it could swing back to Nintendo (cheaper to make games for, growing install base), but there are several things that are slowing it down and could prevent it from happening.

Primarily, the PS2 isn't dead yet. Developers have had 7 years to get used to the PS2, so they know it inside and out. Wii is still new, and people are trying to figure it out. Sure, it's the same as the Gamecube, programming-wise, but a lot of these Playstation loyals may not have had much experience with the GC. There's also the valid point that Dreddz is concerned about, that they will focus too much on trying to make a non-gimmicky way to incorporate the controller--and it'll probably end up gimmicky anyway.

The PS2 still has over 100 million units out there. Wii probably won't match that anytime soon. The PS3 can play most PS2 games, so even after the 'death' of the PS2, they can still make games on PS2 discs to play on the PS3.

As far as getting more RPGs go, the PS2 is the Wii's biggest competition. Quality Western style RPGs are more likely to come out for the Xbox 360, since a good chunk of them start life with the PC in mind (Microsoft is trying to streamline the process of porting PC games to the 360).

The Wii still has a small chance, though. The controller, obviously, has people intrigued. In fact, Yuji Horii (Creator of Dragon Quest), among other high profile developers, has openly stated that he is very excited to work on the Wii. No matter what your opinion or personal preference is, Horii is the biggest name in Japanese RPGs. The Wii does have a bit of influence behind it.

The Wii seems to be reaching a wider audience now as well, which opens up the possibilities of new franchises to appear exclusively on the Wii. It's going to take time though, we probably won't start seeing some of the quality non-Squenix games till next year. Hopefully the Wii can maintain its popularity until then. For now though, PS2 is still the first stop for new RPGs, with the PS3 reserved for the big shots who can afford to make a worthwhile game and 360 ports (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchant_Arm).

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-24-2007, 03:24 PM
The PS3 can play most PS2 games, so even after the 'death' of the PS2, they can still make games on PS2 discs to play on the PS3.

Really? I thought the PS3 had backwards compatibility issues because I read an article on IGN.Com that said "The Wii is the only next-gen console out there that has true backwards compatibility the PS3 doesn't have it and the 360 doesn't have it."

Bunny
01-24-2007, 03:32 PM
I hope Suikoden VI comes out on the Wii.

It won't. :(

Aemilius Blight
01-24-2007, 04:29 PM
I am not cool with action RPGs, so no Wii for me.

JKTrix
01-24-2007, 04:33 PM
The PS3 can play most PS2 games, so even after the 'death' of the PS2, they can still make games on PS2 discs to play on the PS3.

Really? I thought the PS3 had backwards compatibility issues because I read an article on IGN.Com that said "The Wii is the only next-gen console out there that has true backwards compatibility the PS3 doesn't have it and the 360 doesn't have it."

I did say 'most' PS2 games :P Most of the 'important' ones work perfectly, but a few of them don't. It's nothing that can't be fixed in time with an online update--just like the 360. However, one of the things I'm waiting for before I permanently get a PS3 is for them to sort it out and switch to software emulation (still thinking about getting a PS3 for Virtua Fighter then selling it when it's on 360).

Right now, PS3 has the PS2's physical brains in it to make the backwards compatibility in it work, eventually they are going to move to software emulation. If this happens, there is a small chance of the price dropping a bit, since you're not paying for a PS2 + PS3. They were going to launch the PS3 with the software emulator, but they encountered a mess of problems that forced them to temporarily put the old hardware in there.

I definitely want to have a PS3 eventually, but I'm gonna wait for the emulation before I make my permanent purchase. The VF system will be temporary...if I get it.

I am not cool with action RPGs, so no Wii for me.
That's a pretty weak statement.

Aemilius Blight
01-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Saying that I don't like action RPGs, there for I will not by a system that has so far almost exclusively propagated action RPGs over other types from its genre is a weak statement?

JKTrix
01-24-2007, 06:47 PM
I forgot for a split second that this is a Final Fantasy forum, and that there are some people who only play RPGs. My bad.

It's a little silly to think that it will only be used for action RPGs, despite its 'propogations'--which is what I thought from your previous post. Since you expressed a little more reason/maturity with words like 'so far' and 'almost' (and 'propogated' :P), it fares better. And you're correct, right now it does transmit that sort of belief.

I just hate when people write off good things for silly reasons.

People forget that Wii can play 'normal games' too, and Fire Emblem is probably the most high-profile RPG coming out in the near future. Like I mentioned, it will take some time for 3rd parties to get over the urge to do something silly with the controller and just make normal games.

Mirage
01-24-2007, 07:27 PM
The only game that appeals to me at the moment is Red Steel. I don't think I will like using the remote for RPGs. The RPG list is also weak.

Bunny
01-24-2007, 07:37 PM
The only game that appeals to me at the moment is Red Steel. I don't think I will like using the remote for RPGs. The RPG list is also weak.

So, uh, when exactly hasn't it been weak? SNES was the last system from Nintendo to have a large library of RPGs. Nintendo 64 had like.. two? Maybe three. Gamecube had maybe a dozen or so. But other than that it's like.. nope.

Nintendo has mainly become a party company. Makin' games meant to play with a group of people.

Mirage
01-24-2007, 08:04 PM
I never had an N64 anyway :p, and I didn't get my GC because of its RPG library.

Bunny
01-24-2007, 08:11 PM
My family decided to get a Nintendo 64 instead of a Playstation when it was first released because everyone thought it would be better. But then I'm all "no, no you are wrong. don't be stupid." They didn't listen to me and we got a Nintendo 64. And Quest 64.

That lasted about a week.

But yeah, Nintendo has had a very limited number of RPGs for their systems for some time now. I used to have a Gamecube and the only game I owned was Tales of Symphonia, then I said "Man this is taking up room" and so I gave it to my ex-girlfriend. We were dating at the time.

P.S. Tales of Symphonia is worth Gamecube-age.

Mirage
01-24-2007, 08:14 PM
I know it is, but I initially bought mine for MGS:TTS <,<.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-25-2007, 02:04 AM
I've seen two screen shots of Dragon Quest Swords in my February issue of GAMEINFORMER and it looks pretty awesome...I just hope that the gameplay is good too because looks can be deceiving.