PDA

View Full Version : wondering...

jammi567
01-09-2007, 06:43 PM
what would have happened if Zanarkand had won the war instead of Bevelle.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
01-09-2007, 07:16 PM
i thought the war was never won, sin interrupted it?

Tavrobel
01-09-2007, 07:53 PM
i thought the war was never won, sin interrupted it?

Bevelle already won at that point. Sin is more of a "I spite you" kind of interruption. It's like finding Auschwitz after WWII. You can say that you won all you want, but when something like that happens, all involved parties automatically fail.

Little Blue
01-10-2007, 12:21 AM
kinda like a "here, you may have won the war, but have a nuclear winter, call it a goodbye present"

to address the topic, if Zanarkand had won instead of Bevelle, I dunno what would happen. I have a somewhat romanticised view that Zanarkand would be something akin to the alied forces in WWII after that war ended (excluding the Russians though).

Chances are to hold that view, I don't know anything near enough about WWII :p

Tabris
01-10-2007, 12:59 AM
My thoughts:

If Zanarkand had won, Sin would never have been created, thus the larger cities at places like Djose, Mi'ihen and Besaid would still exist, and other areas would expand too.

The Yevon religion would not exist, meaning that the Al Bhed would probably not have been outcasts, therefore they would probably have contributed to the machina growth in Spira for the thousands years up to FF-X. The Guados would probably still have their own religion, so would the Ronsos (they more or less still have it in X and X-2 as well).

However, there is a fair chance that Bevelle would carry an enormous grudge and there might be another war. It's if of course impossible to say who would've won it, as the technology of Spira would be quite different at the time. But it is not impossible that history "would repeat itself" anyway. (A nice idea for a fanfic, though).

Sain Cai
01-10-2007, 02:24 AM
There probably wouldnt have been a FFX :p, it would have been skipped right to FFX-2, thus ruining all of Squares credibility :D

Renmiri
01-10-2007, 04:10 PM
there is a fair chance that Bevelle would carry an enormous grudge and there might be another war. It's if of course impossible to say who would've won it, as the technology of Spira would be quite different at the time. But it is not impossible that history "would repeat itself" anyway. (A nice idea for a fanfic, though).

Vegnagun was almost done at the end of the war. Chances are that the vengeful Bevelle powerful would let Vegnagun lose in Spira. :(

Maybe not though. As far as we know Zanarkand didn't create Sin's death spiral on purpose. So maybe, just maybe, even with all the grudge of losing a war the powerful in Bevelle would have been decent enough to refuse letting lose a scourge like Vegnagun in their world.

Little Blue
01-10-2007, 11:05 PM
You make a good point about Vegnagun ren. Since Sin was part of a response to Zanarkand's imminent defeat, perhaps Bevelle would panic and release Vegnagun, forgetting that it kills indiscriminantly until it then levels Bevelle.

If Vegnagun wasn't so easy to defeat, I could see it sterilising Spira. :bigsmile:

Renmiri
01-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Oh but it was easy to defeat by Yuna and her team, two of them which had battled Sin and won. The ancient Spirans would be no match for Veg'ie.

IMHO the spiral of death would happen regardless of who won the war. :(

Little Blue
01-10-2007, 11:42 PM
IMHO the spiral of death would happen regardless of who won the war. :(

I wouldn't say vegnagun would cause a spiral of death, more of a line.

Vegnagun release -> Spira annhiliated -> Vegnagun rusts

The end.

cally777
01-11-2007, 08:44 AM
I have a somewhat romanticised view that Zanarkand would be something akin to the alied forces in WWII after that war ended (excluding the Russians though).

Chances are to hold that view, I don't know anything near enough about WWII

I think what some people are missing here is that the war would have been won by the kind of insane maniac who would let loose Sin on Spira, namely Yu Yevon. It would have been a bit like Hitler winning instead of losing.

So its quite likely that Yu Yevon would have started a reign of terror that lasted a thousand years anyway. If you react like he did to losing a war, then something else is going to set you off. Like the prospect of your own death or whatever.

Little Blue
01-11-2007, 12:00 PM
I disagree, Sin was created purely for Yu Yevon's protection while he strived to continue his peoples way of life. I don't think it is known the exact purpose of Sin, other than to protect YY, so the genocidal nature of Sin have been an unfortunate after-effect. Akin to the Hiroshima bomb perhaps?

Sufficed to say, unless Zanakand was threatened with total annihilation within what remained of YY's life, it is very unlikely that Sin would ever have been created.

Renmiri
01-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Agreed. And don't forget, YY killed Yunalesca, his own daughter and heir. But it was not a conscious YY. The kid fayth said this new "spider YY" is somehow a being that lives only to summon.

To me it is a tragic story: He got cocky, used way too much magic/ power and got overwhelmed by it, leaving mindless beings (Sin, his spider self) bent on destruction loose on his world.

cally777
01-20-2007, 06:58 PM
You're free to disagree as its all speculation anyway. It may be a tragedy but I don't think its a blameless one. As you say, it was a classic case of pride leading to destruction (for Spira). YY thought that he had escaped death by preserving himself and DZ, when in fact he had started a terrible spiral of death for everyone.

So maybe he would have ended up doing it for some other reason. Eg he is old and about to die, or he tries to use Sin as a weapon to dominate Spira, even maybe to "save" it. Similar to Seymour, it could have started with a meglomaniac idea to play god with people's lives.

:choc:

Hambone
01-21-2007, 03:45 AM
I have a question. If Zanarkand and Bevelle were at war during the time that Tidus was in Zanarkand before time warping, then why didn't Tidus know about Spira if Bevelle and Zanarkand are both in Spira? And where is the rest of Spira (i.e Djose and Besaid) during the war?

Renmiri
01-21-2007, 05:10 AM
Ham, Tidus Zanarkand is not the same as Yu Yevon's Zanarkand. Tidus does get this impression on the beginning after talking with Rikku but later he learns the truth from the kid fayth:
Tidus and his city are just Aeons created 1,000 years ago by Yu Yevon to keep the memory of Zanarkand alive, untouched by war and time

Hambone
01-22-2007, 02:43 AM
Yeah, but still...

yojimbosoul
01-23-2007, 03:25 AM
if Zanarkand won the war, Sin would still be loose. Yunascal would try to create false war to finish off what they started. Sin's destruction was to limit the technology of the still living people after the war so they would not, and could not, rebel against yu Yevon or Yunascal. the summoners were nothing but a show to keep the people calm and to keep order and hope.