PDA

View Full Version : Blarggag

Roto13
01-11-2007, 01:11 AM
I have a friend who talks about a certain book a lot. He loves it. He rereads it, like, once a year. Well, I told him I didn't know what I wanted to read next, and he, of course, recommended this book. I said I'd look into it, and eventually I found a copy. I told him I found it and he said all kinds of things like "Oh, it's really great," and "It's one of my favourites," and "You might not like it because you're probably too young to really get it."

Waittaminute, what? If I don't like it, it's because I'm too young to get it? (I'm 21, and he's 52.)

That doesn't sound very appealing. I probably won't like it because I'm too young and stupid to understand it, and if I don't like it I'll be criticized and talked down to. Yeah, sounds like a real hoot. I can't wait to read it now.

I told him I wasn't going to read it until he promised not to talk down to me if I didn't like it. He's a stubborn old fool and he refuses to just say it. All I want is for my opinion to be respected. That's not too much to ask. Oh, well. There are other books. Plus, he wants me to read it more than I want to read it. Sucker.

Anyway, have you ever had problems getting someone to commit to something really simple and easy? Maybe something that they should do anyway, without promising it?

Vikeve
01-11-2007, 01:18 AM
I tried to get my Mom to agree or at least accept the fact that she is stubborn and she wouldn't do it. Whats funny is when my brother and began to laugh at her she didn't get why we were laughing.:)

Dr Aum
01-11-2007, 01:19 AM
I have trouble getting myself to floss.

By the way, you have me in a tizzy wondering what book you're talking about.

Bunny
01-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Everyone submits to my will eventually.

P.S. What book was it?

Roto13
01-11-2007, 01:25 AM
The book is "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. Calm yourselves. :P

Dr. Acula
01-11-2007, 02:01 AM
I have a hard time admitting my faults. Damn you, why can't you just admit your faults?!!!

LunarWeaver
01-11-2007, 02:37 AM
I have a problem getting you to commit to Xenosaga.

Roto13
01-11-2007, 02:44 AM
I have a problem getting you to commit to Xenosaga.

I'd play it if I could get it for free on the internet or if you'd buy it for me.

rih29
01-11-2007, 02:46 AM
Getting myself to complete homework. :-(

farplaner
01-11-2007, 07:02 AM
About your post roto, the guy probably added that disclaimer, "You probably won't get it because you're too young" because he has some suspicion you won't like a book (it's one I haven't heard of, personally) that means a lot to him, and that would bruise his ego. Or perhaps the book deals with something involving a different era. For example, from what I have heard from many people, no one of "my generation" could possibly understand Viet Nam... and maybe it's true. Anyway, maybe you should just take it as his way of telling you that he values your opinion...

I would answer your topic question, but that was really just a way to validate your thread, right?

EDIT: EoFF should really create a spam thread where everyone can start threads involving what the hell ever they choose... and blah, blah, blah, and so forth...

escobert
01-11-2007, 07:11 AM
On the internet I have problems convincing people I'm not a 12 year old fan girl :(

blackmage_nuke
01-11-2007, 07:47 AM
It's easy for me to get people to do things. It's just have to be my normal threatening charismatic self :)

-

edit: If you wanted to you could recomend a book to him and say, but you might not be up to pace enough with the young people today to enjoy or understand it *cough*old geezer*cough*

Bunny
01-11-2007, 01:26 PM
About your post roto, the guy probably added that disclaimer, "You probably won't get it because you're too young" because he has some suspicion you won't like a book (it's one I haven't heard of, personally) that means a lot to him, and that would bruise his ego. Or perhaps the book deals with something involving a different era. For example, from what I have heard from many people, no one of "my generation" could possibly understand Viet Nam... and maybe it's true. Anyway, maybe you should just take it as his way of telling you that he values your opinion...

You can't really compare a real life event, something that happened in the past, with a book that is available to every generation after it was written. It just doesn't make all that much sense. A war cannot be completely understood by people that were not there (ie our generation) because we were not there. But books are words. Anyone can understand words, regardless of what they add up to describe.

Roto, are you religious or anti-religious in any way? If the latter is the case, then it makes sense that you wouldn't really understand it, because the book seems to deal heavily with faith and religion. Otherwise, I'm not sure what's up with the old man.

For some reason I thought this thread was going to deal with Balrogs. Or maybe gagging. :(

41-Inches-Wide
01-11-2007, 02:30 PM
OMG I LOVE THAT BOOK! I'm 20 and I love that book to pieces. It's not like I'm the most religious person ever, but it's really really well told.

Anyways it's hard to make the significant other want me to meet his mom. :( which makes me feel incredibly ugly and bloated and I feel dejected. Boo.

fire_of_avalon
01-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Haha, no, you'll get it. I think he's afraid that if you don't like it, you'll hurt him in telling him that you don't. So he's trying to justify himself by saying you're too young to get it.

If you want to know, the book does concern itself greatly with the conflict of things or people in which we hold a great deal of faith and things and people in which we do not hold a great deal of faith. For example, John has ultimate faith in Owen who has ultimate faith in God, who John has little to no faith in for much of the novel. It also has a lot to do with growing up in the pre-Vietnam era and co-existing with the post-Vietnam era, but less to do with Vietnam itself aside from certain characters opinions. It's also very, very, very, very anti-Reagan.

I thought it was pretty okay. I think Stephen King's "Hearts in Atlantis" is a better Vietnam book (and I know there are people who want to crucify me for putting him and John Irving in the same category, but I did it!) and that A Prayer for Owen Meany is a better "God and stuff" book.

Roto13
01-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I would answer your topic question, but that was really just a way to validate your thread, right?

Kinda. Sorta. Not really. If I was desperate for help or something, I would have made it in EoEO, I guess. :P

Roto, are you religious or anti-religious in any way? If the latter is the case, then it makes sense that you wouldn't really understand it, because the book seems to deal heavily with faith and religion. Otherwise, I'm not sure what's up with the old man.

I'm agnostic, but he's an all-out atheist. XD

Haha, no, you'll get it. I think he's afraid that if you don't like it, you'll hurt him in telling him that you don't. So he's trying to justify himself by saying you're too young to get it.

That's what I thought. The thing is, I don't want to read it if he's just going to talk down to me afterwards. Or I could read it and just never tell him, but I'm not all that interested. :P

Renmiri
01-11-2007, 07:08 PM
He is afraid you won't love it to pieces like he did, that's for sure.

And yeah, some people are incapable of seeing certain flaws in their character. Maybe all of us, I sure don't see mine. ;)

I guess we all have our blind spots