PDA

View Full Version : lspci for Windows?

Citizen Bleys
01-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Short version: I need to know what kind of video card I have and I can't open the case and look. Don't buy a Toshiba laptop.

Details:
Does anyone know if there's a Windows equivalent to the lspci command? I just got my notebook back from RMA and they replaced the video card on it -- clearly with a different model altogether, since now the manufacturer's rescue disc causes the OS to bluescreen during install. The manufacturer, naturally, has refused to help me with this. Since I want to play FFXI on my laptop, on goes a pirate copy of XPee...but I'm still left not knowing what the hell I have for video hardware. Letting Windows "search the internet" for the appropriate driver is a waste of time. I still have all of the files from the manufacturer's rescue disk on my hard drive, but it won't recognize the new video card because it's a different model than the original shipping. Oddly, it will also not recognize my batterly, and prompts me for a driver every 5 minutes unless I disable it in deviceman.

Dr Unne
01-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Boot from a Linux liveCD and run lspci.

Citizen Bleys
01-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Which got me "ATi Corporation - UNKNOWN DEVICE" and a bunch of numbers ><

I called Toshiba's service depot and asked them to look up the Remedy ticket for my original service call--apparently, the tech didn't replace the videocard, he replaced the whole blinking motherboard and didn't record any information about what he replaced it with in the trouble ticket.

Judging by the performance and display quality, I believe he replaced it with excrement.

So, change of topic: Anyone know of a utility that will identify the make and model of a video card without opening up the case?

Yamaneko
01-14-2007, 09:15 PM
run > dxdiag.exe > display tab

Citizen Bleys
01-15-2007, 12:40 AM
That tells me I'm running a generic VGA driver, since that's all I've been able to install without causing a STOP error referencing atidvag.

Endless
01-15-2007, 07:33 AM
You could try <a href="http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_3264&langx=en&a=">Sandra</a> (the lite version might be enough), which, even if it doesn't find your particular video card model, might be able to pick up the mb model, so you can ask Toshiba the rest of the specs or find them online.

unnamed one
09-29-2008, 05:36 PM
You could try SIV - System Information Viewer (http://rh-software.com/) which uses the same list of device, vendor and product ID information as Sandra: pcidevs.txt, whose author claims that it is larger and more accurate than Linux's list.

rubah
09-29-2008, 05:44 PM
The question is, however, did bleys get this resolved in the first place? Or did your suggestion exist back in january 2007? :)

(it's okay, I don't always read post dates either)