PDA

View Full Version : The End...? ~spoilers

Moon Rabbits
01-12-2007, 10:44 PM
I just beat Final Fantasy XII about an hour ago, and the ending video blew me away. It was a great way to end a great game. However, I noticed that as the credits by into the "The End" screen, there was no after-credit cinematic that is the norm in Final Fantasy.

Is there really none, or did I do something wrong? I would've liked to see Fran and Balthier in the 1-year later part.

Tavrobel
01-12-2007, 10:59 PM
So you were expecting something besides a starfield that goes by? Or a crystal that rises into the air to signify balance being restored? Or a card game that you can't ever win?

Geez, someone has been spoiled by FFVII+. Post-game cinematics are not the norm, nor should it be tradition, lest SquareEnix go completely sequel crazy. Again.

vorpal blade
01-12-2007, 11:06 PM
Post-game cinematics are the new norm, and I like them. It tells you what happened afterwards, a little epilogue to show you how they are now. And if you want one for FFXII, try looking at the Revanent Wings (http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff12rw/)thing. Might not be the same, but it's someting.

LunarWeaver
01-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Depending on whom you talk to, FFXII is either too good or too bad to have such a thing included.

Well, as Vorpal said, there's always that Revenant Wings.

Disco Potato
01-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Is there really none, or did I do something wrong? I would've liked to see Fran and Balthier in the 1-year later part.

There is none, but I thought the artwork in the credits was a nice (and unique) substitute.

(Were the spoiler tags necessary? Ah well)

Zeromus_X
01-13-2007, 12:22 AM
I thought the artwork was awesome. Reminded me of Final Fantasy Tactics.

Also, I thought the ending FMV with Kiss Me Goodbye was pretty nice...shows what happens to everyone after the ending ala FFIV and V.

BustaMo
01-13-2007, 05:30 AM
Yeah the ending was a pretty great part of the game and I have to say that after waiting all these years, this game has satisfied me. I'm close to 100% in it soo, but the beauty of the game just blows me away. The ending after which shows 1 year later is really awesome. I love how it's narrated by Penelo. Her maturity level is quite amazing.

Moon Rabbits
01-13-2007, 05:37 AM
So you were expecting something besides a starfield that goes by? Or a crystal that rises into the air to signify balance being restored? Or a card game that you can't ever win?

Geez, someone has been spoiled by FFVII+. Post-game cinematics are not the norm, nor should it be tradition, lest SquareEnix go completely sequel crazy. Again.

Whoa, take it easy. First:

a) Yes, I have played the later final fantasies more (being born in the '90s and all), but I'm sorry if you think me less of a fan for that or something.

b) After credit cinematics are the new norm.

c) Yes, I would have liked something in the end, even just a crystal raising up :bigsmile:

Lexy
01-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Sorry in advance for the slight rant!
XII's ending was a pathetic joke. It's like they realized the game was already incredibly amazing and decided to phone in the ending! I was literally left jaw agape with a look of utter confusion upon my face during and after the ending...
It was SO short, SO sappy and utterly not in keeping with the feel of the rest of the game...just so bad!
But now I'm back to playing the game again, and I guess I can overlook the horrible ending and still appreciate this game as the best video game ever made because the other 99.9% of it is perfect.
(If I force myself to try to see possible positive aspects of the ending, I guess I can say that the brevity and ambiguity of it is nice because it does sort of leave it up to the player to come to certain conclusions- which is good I guess...?!)

N8V_Tidus25
01-13-2007, 02:21 PM
I thought the ending was great

TasteyPies
01-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Spoilers, but thats in the title of the thread anyway >.>

I just finished it for the first time about two hours ago. Everyone in my party of three was level 51, Vaan and Basche my paladins and Fran my white mage. Oh...mah...gawd. I was surprised that the game was over.. I didn't even realize it was my last few moments of playtime untill vayne transformed into his final form. It was, absolutely, the easiest boss battle ever. I was completely unprepared, my healer had zero mana, my gear sucked, I had only half the spells, I was only level 51, and I went afk for half of it to do some work around the house. Vayne is a wuss. There, I said it.

I got a good 70hours worth of playtime in that game. It was getting to the point I didn't think it was going to end. I guess that's why it seemed abrupt to me. I was already wondering what kind of mission I would have to go on after I defeated vayne....

That reminds me.....what happened to Venat?

Moon Rabbits
01-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Sorry in advance for the slight rant!
XII's ending was a pathetic joke. It's like they realized the game was already incredibly amazing and decided to phone in the ending! I was literally left jaw agape with a look of utter confusion upon my face during and after the ending...
It was SO short, SO sappy and utterly not in keeping with the feel of the rest of the game...just so bad!
But now I'm back to playing the game again, and I guess I can overlook the horrible ending and still appreciate this game as the best video game ever made because the other 99.9% of it is perfect.
(If I force myself to try to see possible positive aspects of the ending, I guess I can say that the brevity and ambiguity of it is nice because it does sort of leave it up to the player to come to certain conclusions- which is good I guess...?!)

I didn't think the ending was bad, but I was looking forward to seeing Fran and Balthier in the 1-year later segment, which is why I was waiting for an after-credit cinematic.

As for what TasteyPies said, I agree. The ending did seem rather abrupt after the extreme length of the game, especially the last dungeon. The last dungeon sucked, and so did the difficulty for the last boss.

Spamming physical attacks+Shock+Curaja was all I had to do and the battle was over in about twenty minutes.

EDIT: Also, concerning Venat: He merged with Vayne or something to create the Undying, and then I assume they both were killed when the Undying was defeated.

Zeromus_X
01-13-2007, 07:23 PM
I found the last boss to be pretty difficult, myself. Then again, I hardly did any sidequests and never tried leveling past the 46 range.

Also, I pretend that the Pharos was the final dungeon...because it's so much cooler than Bahamut.

TasteyPies
01-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Spamming physical attacks+Shock+Curaja was all I had to do and the battle was over in about twenty minutes.

What is shock? some sort of spell? Like I said I barely had half the spells in the game. The only commands I used in the final battle were Attack, Protect, Haste, Curaja, and charge. (no quickenings or summons) ...for a final boss that is a pretty pathetic strategy, but I completely owned his azz...the monsters in the bahamut were level 48-51, so I doubt I was overleveled at level 51...

Vayne is just a complete wuss. He didn't confuse or posion or ANYTHING....and his attacks were laughable in their potency, or lack there of.

LunarWeaver
01-13-2007, 07:35 PM
I thought the end boss was ridiculously easy as well, but I thought the ending movie was awesome :(. It seemed very long and rather satisfying to me *shrug*. Plus, it gave Balthier his arguably coolest moment when Fran gets knocked out and all he says is "Do I have to do everything around here?" while he scoops her up and keeps on going.

Lynx
01-13-2007, 07:51 PM
i was on lvl 60 in the last battle and i found it more challangeing then most other final battles in other final fantasys. also my 3 main characters had well over 1200 lp still which kinda kept me from haveing any augments. i coudl easily get them but for some reason never got them. plus my gambits were ally any = phoenix down and foe any= any. also i didnt use any mist on the any of the final battles. and my weak armor and weapons didnt help any.

as for the ending i thought it was great. i was a little dissapointed i never got to fight zargabath the judge. but the ending made up for it. it showed the torch being passed sort to speak from balthier to vaan. a very nice touch i must say.

N8V_Tidus25
01-14-2007, 03:24 AM
i was level 48 at the highest and i beat it like nother, atleast sin, seymour and jecht killed me a couple times before i beat the game, i jus turned the gambits on and left it alone