PDA

View Full Version : The Origin of the Name "Final Fantasy"

Jessweeee♪
01-13-2007, 06:16 AM
I was googling around for stuff to post in another thread, and I found this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3482769

Why 'Final' Fantasy?

Wondering, or complaining, why they're called Final Fantasy when there's a series (like Final Destination)?

Very simple: before the original Final Fantasy was released, Square was the dream child of a Japanese programmer, Hironobu Sakuguchi. However, he, and Square, were seriously short of money. So, in the aim of doing what he really wanted to do before the company went bankrupt, he put together the idea behind the original Final Fantasy game. He got the permission to make it from his publisher, but everyone felt that this game would be the final nail in the coffin of Square.

Hence, the game was his 'Final Fantasy'.

The game was obviously actually very successful, and with the name well known, rather than changing it for the later games, it remained the slightly contradictory Final Fantasy...

I thought it was interesting. Don't try to make me feel inferior by saying crap like how pointless this information is or how everyone but me knew it.

NeoCracker
01-13-2007, 06:31 AM
Don't try to make me feel inferior by saying crap like how pointless this information is or how everyone but me knew it.
Then whats the point of posting in this thread?

DarkLadyNyara
01-13-2007, 06:31 AM
I still say it's a reference to necrophillia.

Aemilius Blight
01-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Do not fret, I am quite sure that there are more people than you that didn't already know this. I am also quite sure that you could almost count them on your fingers but the point stands.

ljkkjlcm9
01-13-2007, 06:37 AM
there are millions of people who do not know this... but at this site, yeah, you can probably count it on one hand

THE JACKEL

Aemilius Blight
01-13-2007, 06:41 AM
I thought it went without saying that I was referring to people who visit this site, since only the people who visit this site will be reading this.

Bahamut2000X
01-13-2007, 06:49 AM
Only true non-believers of the ways of Final Fantasy as religion wouldn't know of the creation of our paradise by the gaming god Sakaguchi.

ljkkjlcm9
01-13-2007, 06:58 AM
I thought it went without saying that I was referring to people who visit this site, since only the people who visit this site will be reading this.
nothing goes without saying, just so you know, for future reference.

THE JACKEL

Jessweeee♪
01-13-2007, 07:06 AM
I'm going to go hang myself now.

Aemilius Blight
01-13-2007, 07:11 AM
That's entirely unnecessary. I mean, you may very well have bettered the lives of between three and five people!

blackmage_nuke
01-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Why Final Fantasy, why is the name not in Japanese?

And what is Final Fantasy in Japanese anyway?

-

Aemilius Blight
01-13-2007, 07:13 AM
ファイナルファンタジー

boys from the dwarf
01-13-2007, 12:49 PM
well. i knew this but most people who haven't been on ana good FF forum wouldn't know this unless they really did their homework on FF.

NeoCracker
01-13-2007, 01:21 PM
well. i knew this but most people who haven't been on ana good FF forum wouldn't know this unless they really did their homework on FF.

Or watched G4 when they did Video Game Idles: Nobue Umetsu. Or however its spelled.

No.78
01-13-2007, 01:58 PM
OLD NOOS LOL

ljkkjlcm9
01-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Most game titles are in English, actually, because most of the world learns english, except America, where it isn't required too...

Nobuo Uematsu, is how you spell it btw.

If you want to know what Final Fantasy is in Japanese, not only can you use a translator, but I always thought there were Japanese Symbols under the newer games title, which said it in japanese, or at least on the japanese websites it does...

I always found it stranger when game companies had english names, like Square-soft.

THE JACKEL

lufia
01-23-2007, 03:41 PM
thanks i didn't know this :eek: