PDA

View Full Version : Money vs. Quality MY Dilemma (which version of FFVII to get)

Zora
01-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Considering this is revolved around FFVII, I was thinking which version of FFVII to get. One is of better quality (PS1 vesrsion), but costs a huge amount of money (but using my report card money and leftover Xmas money and my allowance I have accumulated after I beat FFVI and V) I may be able to get it. Or I can get the very cheap PC version (I have Windows XP upstairs, thinking the version would help in the decision) and save a LOT of money, but then there will be a lot of problems I need to fix via patches. I do not want to download patches, but I will do what I must.

I am wondering which version to get, Final Fantasy VII PS1 or Final Fantasy VII PC? I would like to here your suggestions and reasoning behind your thoughts. Money shouldn't be an issue after all the money I ultimately have.

Mods: If you feel this should be in a different forum, thread, or should be absent all together, do not hesitate to merge, close, complain, move, or delete this thread depending on the circumstances.

Levian
01-13-2007, 05:30 PM
I've never tried the PC version so I don't know exactly how difficult it is to get it to work, but I can tell you there's been a ton of threads over the years with people that are having trouble with that version. So you'd probably save yourself some trouble getting the PS version and buying it off of eBay or Amazon shouldn't be too expensive.

The black mage
01-13-2007, 05:51 PM
I've played both, but it depends what system u've got. if its low that u should have no problem, but if it's a high quality one it'll crash. but the patches are the the Edios web site if you need them. On thing is it take ages to load the movies.
but the Ps version has no problems (unless you scrach the disk).
Post which one you get

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
01-13-2007, 06:20 PM
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?sofocus=unknown&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=final+fantasy+7+ps1&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&sadis=200&fpos=Postcode&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp= <-- problem solved :D

Zora
01-13-2007, 07:34 PM
I have a question. Would an Europeon FFVII (PS1) work with an American Play Station (since IIRC, Sony isn't regional free)

TheSpoonyBard
01-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Nope, not without modification or a swap disc.

The PS version will work as long as the disc is useable, but you'll only get the basic game. With the PC version, it may take some work to make it functional, but there are patches you can download to change almost anything you like, allowing you to customise the game to your liking.

Xurts
01-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Go for the PS version. It shouldn't cost that much on eBay.

LunarWeaver
01-14-2007, 12:14 AM
When I downloaded bought the PC version, I didn't have any troubles at all. Some of the sound effects were off because it uses crappy midi sounds and my sound card was too good to run it all properly or some silly thing, but it was no biggie. I didn't have to download any patches or anything. Mine was the Ultima Version or whatever, and that could have made some difference in how well it functioned I guess.

Probably safer just to buy a playstation version if you're going to get one. It's not gonna break the bank, but it is still kinda expensive =/ Could be worth the higher price for less fuss, though, for sure.

cloud21zidane16
01-14-2007, 01:02 AM
i say go for the ps version, its very cheap and much better quality

Mirage
01-14-2007, 01:26 AM
I have a question. Would an Europeon FFVII (PS1) work with an American Play Station (since IIRC, Sony isn't regional free)
You basically answered your own question.

FFVII works fine on an XP system as long as you patch it up a bit, and it looks the same as on the PS1. However, you sit further away from the screen when playing on a TV, and a TV isn't as crisp as a PC monitor. Therefore, you don't notice how :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty the graphics are when playing on a TV, but the graphics are in reality poorer than on the PC.

Rostum
01-14-2007, 01:53 AM
Isn't it only like... $15USD for PS1? How is that expensive?

LunarWeaver
01-14-2007, 02:06 AM

Not (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000JRSB/ref=dp_olp_2/102-3640293-7400949) quite. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-FINAL-FANTASY-7-VII-PLAYSTATION-FF7-PS1-PS3_W0QQitemZ270076795516QQihZ017QQcategoryZ62053QQcmdZViewItem)

Rostum
01-14-2007, 03:33 AM
You're kidding me? I can easily get it in Australia for $20, and we're on the craphole end of the gaming grace.

Zora
01-14-2007, 04:33 AM
You're kidding me? I can easily get it in Australia for $20, and we're on the craphole end of the gaming grace.

I live in America. On Ebay (and Amazon and whatever else you can think of), they are typically $50-70.

I should have gotten that $20 FFVII PS 3 years ago...

Xurts
01-14-2007, 05:58 AM

Not (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000JRSB/ref=dp_olp_2/102-3640293-7400949) quite. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-FINAL-FANTASY-7-VII-PLAYSTATION-FF7-PS1-PS3_W0QQitemZ270076795516QQihZ017QQcategoryZ62053QQcmdZViewItem)
wow wtf? That really got expensive over the last couple years. You're better off just looking around in stores for a cheap used copy. I got my original MGS game for $8 by doing that.

LunarWeaver
01-14-2007, 06:17 AM

Yeah, the whole situation is kind of uncalled for :(. I don't know why it is like that in the US.

wow wtf? That really got expensive over the last couple years. You're better off just looking around in stores for a cheap used copy. I got my original MGS game for $8 by doing that.

I was blindsided by it one day, too. My brother lost my copy, and I thought it was no big deal, I'd just hop online and buy some used one for 10 bucks or so. Only to find the really crappy ones are 50-70, one of which I bought and it fucked up in 10 seconds and got a refund, and new ones are over 100. Not to mention some without the Greatest Hits on the cover go for over $250+ (check out Yahoo! Shopping for that doozy, although why people go so far out of their way for non-greatest hits stuff is beyond me anyway). I did try looking in actual stores, but no luck there. I live into small of a place for such a thing I think.

The whole thing is kinda odd, so I can see people looking at the PC version these days. Silly Square, don't they know fans need refills every so often?

Zeromus_X
01-14-2007, 06:27 AM
Yes, please try looking for a copy in used game stores before even considering purchasing it online. I have no idea why the game is so godawfully expensive now.

Zora
01-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Yes, please try looking for a copy in used game stores before even considering purchasing it online. I have no idea why the game is so godawfully expensive now.

No local gaming stores carry anything with PS1 on the cover sadly...

Carl the Llama
01-14-2007, 08:51 AM
I have a better idea, buy the PS1 version off of ebay.co.uk and then play it on your PC with ePSXe, Thats what I do with all my NTSC games (such as Suikoden I + II) and yes, it works both ways and is not illigal as you own a PS1.

Xurts
01-14-2007, 09:48 PM

GameStop should.

Zora
01-15-2007, 12:10 AM

GameStop should.

My gamestops don't, they don't any PS1 equipment/games... Nor does my local EB games. They are just too small.

KasaiDraco
01-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Download an ISO. I won't give you a link because I'll get in trouble. Use Google, and you'll find it after a while.

Zora
01-15-2007, 06:38 PM
GREAT NEWS!

It turns out my friend has FFVII PS version, and he is willing to lend me it (I forgot he had it) because I lent him Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. So actually, I get to play and beat this game for free... So actually, I don't need to worry about money.

But now I have $75 saved up in hopes of buying it....

I have a dilemma now...

Darth Anarcus
01-15-2007, 06:57 PM
While I've never played the PC version, I heard it's generally not as well-liked as the PSX version because the soundtrack is inferior. However, unlike the PSX version, you can download mods for the PC version. Popular mods include one that replaces the PC soundtrack with the PSX soundtrack, one that gives the character models hands, and one that replaces the feild models with their battle mode counterparts.

ReloadPsi
01-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Even the right patches might not help you get the PC version to work. I have XP on both my PC and laptop, and while it ran without question on the laptop, no insane amount of patches have convinced it to run on my PC.

I say you try and find someplace to illegally download it to find out if it works first. Don't ask where though, I ain't got a clue.

Then there's the whole "Buy the PS1 version" trick. That works well. Since you've saved up $75, you should do it. It's worth it. Every person who happens to like this game should just have their own copy.

Mr. Graves
01-19-2007, 12:59 AM
The PC version works great if you have a previous-than XP Windows OS. Even then, you may run into some problems. I ran my old PC FFVII on Windows 98 and the game would randomly close itself after some time.

Go with the PS1.

I'm really shocked that it's priced so high now myself. >_>