PDA

View Full Version : Do speedrun videos (in games you have beaten) make you feel useless?

Markus. D
01-14-2007, 12:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ZpNtVWXbg

u_u

its amazing how they figure out this stuff.

Roto13
01-14-2007, 12:55 AM
No, speed runs in games make me feel like the speedrunner is wasting his time.

Jowy
01-14-2007, 01:22 AM
I wish I could beat Super Metroid with 100% in an hour.

Zeromus_X
01-14-2007, 01:32 AM
I wish I could beat SO3 in four hours (http://speeddemosarchive.com/StarOcean3.html). ;_; My best time is twelve.

Speed runs are so impressive to me. It really shows you know alot about that game, or are at the least very skilled in it.

Shoeberto
01-14-2007, 04:43 AM
The Quake I speed runs are some of the most impressive things I've ever seen.

Vermachtnis
01-14-2007, 05:45 AM
I like the Metroid speedrun videos. There was this one Metroid Prime video that managed to get me 4 hour clock.

LunarWeaver
01-14-2007, 05:49 AM
I think speed runs are fascinating as an achievement, but I don't have any real motivation to try myself. I like to sit back and enjoy the game, not rush through as fast as humanly possible just for YouTube's sake. In other words, I can't do it and this is the excuse I tell myself.

Slothy
01-14-2007, 01:24 PM
They don't make me feel useless, but that video of yours makes me really want to play Mischief Makers again. I have to actually track down a copy and buy it first though.

Madame Adequate
01-14-2007, 02:28 PM
No, speed runs in games make me feel like the speedrunner is wasting his time.

Not much of it though. :p

Seriously, why's it a waste of time, any more than any other achievement?

Edit: And no, it usually doesn't bother me, 'cause I tend not to be playing the games that get speed ran.

ljkkjlcm9
01-14-2007, 02:44 PM
It's a waste of time, because you only see the final product, but it takes years to be able to do. Like there is a video of some guy that hooked up one controller for both Megaman X and Megaman X2, played them simultaneously, and beat them both. That's someone who has too much time on his hands and played the games way too many times. Even I have played Megaman X too much because I can beat it in roughly an hour.

THE JACKEL

KentaRawr!
01-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Well, it depends on the game. If I'm watching something like, Super Mario Bros. 3, my childhood crumbles before me. If it's something I recently got into, like the older Castlevanias, then I feel powerless.

Dr Aum
01-14-2007, 04:14 PM
I enjoy watching speedruns, but I have no desire whatsoever to do one.

Tavrobel
01-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Fun to watch, and in many ways, is impressive someone would invest the amount of time they needed to know what comes next, and have the skill to not screw up. But there's little incentive for a person to actually do it, since it somewhat a colossal waste of a time. Speed runs for RPGs are even worse, even if you are trying to prove a point.

This is my take on challenges, too.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-14-2007, 04:24 PM
i watch it then when i try to attempt it i do very badly :cry:

Pike
01-14-2007, 05:26 PM
No, they don't make me feel useless. Instead I just find myself having a huge amount of respect for the people who do those speedruns (hey, I'm a nerd. Let me respect my fellow nerds for doing nerdy things. =P)

And I am a speedrun ADDICT. I absolutely love watching speedruns. They're more entertaining to me than most movies or TV shows. I'm not kidding when I say I've watched like half of this list (http://speeddemosarchive.com/gamelist/FullList.html).

Would I personally ever attempt a speedrun? Perhaps, but I doubt it. I'm content to sit back and watch the work of the masters. XD

Lawr
01-14-2007, 05:43 PM
I hate Mischief Makers with every fiber of my being.
I feel even more worthless because I was listening to the
Classical Karmia Burana while watching. :sad:

Lynx
01-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I wish I could beat Super Metroid with 100% in an hour.

i wish i could beat supermetroid 100%. i can get like 97% ive never watched the 100% speed run of it though maybe i can find out where the remainging things are.

Peter_20
01-15-2007, 02:51 PM
I used to watch the video of Cradle (00 Agent) from Goldeneye 007 - holy crap. :eek:

However, I do rock at Surface #1 (00 Agent). :D

JKTrix
01-15-2007, 03:34 PM
I once saw a video that was a competition between 2 guys to do a speedrun of the original Super Mario Bros.

I think this is it, but I can't be sure since I can't YouTube at work. (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/02/28/mario-racing-minus-the-karts/)

It was fun to watch.

Some of the more impressive ones I've seen are for the MegaMan Zero games on GBA. Wowzers.

Eiko Guy
01-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Many games now try to make it so you can't speedrun through it. In metroid prime they rereleased it because someone finished it in an hour. I read that somewhere they rereleased it and modified it so it was not possible to do that

ReloadPsi
01-21-2007, 05:22 AM
I enjoy watching speedruns, but I have no desire whatsoever to do one.
This.

Also, some speedruns are boring as hell, namely those where they've literally performed one trick: Taken the shortest route with no mistakes and made every single random algorithm work in their favour; little to no gameplay skill involved there. I wanna see amazing saiko pawaa and ridiculous tricks and sequence breaking.