PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Bootdisc

Moon Rabbits
01-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Well, I plan on getting my PS2 modded eventually so that I can play my "backups", but in the mean time:

Is there a way for me to play backed up games without a modchip? Couldn't I just use a regular PS2/PSX game as a bootdisc and switch which disc is being read really quickly?

Rostum
01-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Swap Magic is probably a really good bootdisk option, and it's cheap.

o_O
01-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Swap Magic is what you're after. I think it's probably best to wait for your modchip though, because you'll only use Swap Magic for a little while.

However, there do exist memloaders:

You first need to download the memloader source files.
Then you need to use an original PSX game to build the memloader.
Then you need to burn the memloader to disc.
Then you need to load the disc into your PS2 using Swap Magic (or another boot disc), with a memory card that has some free space is in slot one, and the CD will save the memloader onto the memory card.
Then you can use the game that you built the memloader with as a boot disc if the memory card is in slot one.

I resorted to using a memloader to play Xenosaga (which wasn't released here, so I imported it. :p), after I got sick of my hacked out, unstable version which I stretched across 3 DVD5s, and it worked well.

atlanteay
01-15-2007, 02:42 AM
where do you buy swap magic except online? I'm not that much of a online shopper.

rih29
01-15-2007, 02:58 AM
I heard of a "card trick" on an emulator forum. It involves shoving a card inside some part of your PS2 and making it think the thing is spinning or something... I don't know.

Get SwapMagic.

o_O
01-15-2007, 05:42 AM
I heard of a "card trick" on an emulator forum. It involves shoving a card inside some part of your PS2 and making it think the thing is spinning or something... I don't know.

Get SwapMagic.

The card trick is a way of getting the disc tray open without the PS2 realizing; without pressing the eject button. It is used in conjunction with a swap disc, so it won't work on its own.