PDA

View Full Version : ELS' Guide to How to Not Suck at Gears of War Online

Elite Lord Sigma
01-14-2007, 09:25 AM
As Gears of War is a hugely popular game, and is probably the most-played game on Xbox Live right now, I've decided to make a guide on how to play the game, and how to be good at it.

Intro

Now, you have your shiny new copy of Gears of War. You pop in the disc, and you watch the loading screen play. Now, you're at the title screen. Wanting to get right into multiplayer action, you go to Multiplayer. Now what?

Now, you've joined a match. First, here are some general tips that'll make sure you won't immediately get torn to bits.

General Tips

1. Don't Be a Hero

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people lose matches because one of their teammates rushes off without thinking. The only thing you'll accomplish by rushing blindly into a firefight is to get yourself killed (and humiliated). Think before you act.

2. Don't Go Solo

It doesn't matter if you're the best player on your team, and everybody else on the other team can't shoot worth crap. If you get trapped in a corner by the other team, no amount of firepower and luck will save you. Save yourself the trouble, and make sure at least one person is with you.

3. Don't Steal Kills

If you're running into a fight, and one of your teammates needs help, and they get the downing shot, let them get the kill. Don't you think it's unfair to have a loser of a friend hop in and curb stomp the guy you've wasted half your ammo on?

4. Know the Lay of the Land

If you're playing a map for the first time, take the time to learn the terrain, where good cover spots are, and where all the weapons are. Knowing this ahead of a match can boost your chance of winning considerably.

5. Communicate

If you have a headphone, make sure you talk to your teammates before and during a match so you can plan out strategies. This is especially crucial for Assassination mode.

6. Don't Be a Jerk

If you lose a round, don't vent it on your teammates. Act like a man, and take some of the blame for losing. In addition, compliment your teammates every now and then. Even if it's only a "Nice shot!" ever so often. Not only will this make your teammates more likely to listen to you, it may also make you a few friends.

7. Use Cover or Die

This goes without saying. If two people get into a battle, the one who makes better use of cover will come out on top. Don't stay in one place for too long. Change your movement speed too, so you can ruin an opponent's aiming.

8. Know Your Team's Strengths

This is almost a no-brainer. If you know somebody's the best sniper on the level, give them the Longshot. If they are good with the Torque Bow, let them have that. You're probably going to win more if you let those best suited wield the weapons.
Now, with those out of the way, here's how to use the weapons in the game effectively.

Weapon Tips

Lancer

This is your default weapon on the right. It's a very capable and deadly weapon when used in the right hands. The Lancer is great for use as a mid-range weapon as a gun. However, its popularity lies in the chainsaw built into the gun. Anybody who gets hit by a chainsaw blow instantly dies. However, as chainsawing leaves you vulnerable for a few seconds, I don't recommend doing it if you're facing more than one person by yourself.

Snub Pistol

This is your default weapon assigned to Down. It is a rather poor weapon when it comes to shooting, but its quick melee attacks make it ideal for close range if you have no other options. As two melee attacks from any weapon (aside from the Hammer of Dawn) will down somebody, it ultimately lies in who can get out the meleeing faster. An ideal combo is a double melee attack, followed by a headshot.

Gnasher

This is the infamous shotgun assigned as default on Left. It's an excellent counter to chainsawers, and is powerful at close range, capable of tearing apart enemies in just one shot. However, it is a terrible weapon for mid to long range use.

Longshot

This is a sniper rifle that can be assigned either to Left or Right. It is a deadly long-range weapon, capable of instantly downing an enemy with a single shot to the torso if powered by a perfect active reload. The Longshot is not good at close range, as it's difficult to get a clear shot off, and the fact you have to reload after each shot leaves you vulnerable.

Boomshot

A giant grenade launcher assigned either to Left or Right. Being an explosive weapon, it is best for use at medium range so you don't end up committing suicide accidentally. This is good for flushing out enemies or for those trapped in corners.

Torque Bow

A weapon feared by all. It is a giant bow loaded with explosive arrows. You must reload after each shot, but it can instantly kill someone if the arrow makes contact with them. It is best for medium to long range, and to catch enemies by surprise. Keep in mind that the arrow will automatically fire after you nock it for a while, so take care of where you're aiming.

Smoke Grenade

Your default Up weapon. When thrown, these produce a smokescreen that obscures the area around it. These are good for use as a distraction while your teammates are off doing something else.

Frag Grenade

These are standard grenades that can be assigned to Up. These are great for flushing enemies out. Also, you can tag somebody with one of these by doing a melee attack while you have these equipped. Make sure you run away as quickly as possible, as once your enemy notices that they've been stuck, they'll run after you to try to take you with them.

Hammer of Dawn

This is the most infamous weapon in the game. It is only useable on two maps, but the team that makes the best use of this will be the one that will win. It can only be used outside, and when fired, it fires down a giant laser from space that instantly kills anybody near it. A person with the Hammer should hide away from the main fighting, as it takes more hits with the Hammer to down an opponent with a melee attack than other weapons.

Now, for the final section, this is for Assassination mode, as that mode is different from Warzone and Execution. Most of the above tips can be applied to all three modes, but the following can only work well when applied to Assassination.

Assassination Tips

1. Protect Your Leader

Your leader is the most valuable person on your team. Even if you kill everybody but the other team's leader, that doesn't mean anything if your leader dies.

2. Don't Be a Wimp

That being said, if you're the leader, don't force your team to do all of the dirty work. Chip in a helping hand for your team. Nothing will infuriate you more than when you lose a match because your leader doesn't fight at all until the rest of their team is dead.

3. Be Smart

Likewise, if you're the leader, don't rush off into battle. You should help your team in fights, but all of their efforts will be for naught if you die.

This is the end of the guide. I hope it works well.

Madame Adequate
01-14-2007, 02:23 PM
:up: Thanks for the advice!

NeoCracker
01-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Without you I dont' think I ever would have made it to the opening screen. But figuring out what to click to start is such a pain, i can't wait for more advice.

The makers of this game are tricky fellows they are.

Elite Lord Sigma
01-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Hey, it was four in the morning when I began writing this. Did you really expect me to write it then without it seeming half-assed and horrible?