PDA

View Full Version : No read can do!

Xaven
01-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Now I'm a sad panda! Okay, so I bought a CD imported from Japan a few days ago. I ripped it onto my computer with iTunes like I usually do and I'm listening the hell out of it.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to upload any of the ripped files to my hosting website (my objective in all of this). When I found this out, I tried re-ripping the CD with Windows Media Player which didn't work (though I CAN play the files with WMP from my comptuer). I can't open them with Goldwave (an audio program) either. All of these are due to vague unknown errors.

Help, yes?

Dr Unne
01-14-2007, 04:00 PM
The "vague unknown errors" are the only part of your post that would help anyone help you, and the only part that you didn't specify.

Renmiri
01-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Sound only ?

Use Wavepad to rip the sound from your PC's stereo output. Save it as mp3 or other easy to upload format.

Video too ?
Try AutoscreenRecorder.

Mirage
01-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Do the filenames contain Japanese characters? If so, the program you're uploading them with, or the site you're uploading them to might not like that.
I know my image viewer crashes when it tries to open files with kanji and such in their filenames.

rubah
01-14-2007, 10:16 PM
what format were they ripped to?

Xaven
01-15-2007, 01:07 AM
The "vague unknown errors" are the only part of your post that would help anyone help you, and the only part that you didn't specify.
Goldwave reads "Could not open file. File does not exist or format is not supported."
Windows Media Player reads when trying to rip the music "Windows Media Player encountered an unknown error. This can occur when another program or operating system component encounters a problem but does not communicate the nature of the problem to the Player."

Do the filenames contain Japanese characters? If so, the program you're uploading them with, or the site you're uploading them to might not like that.
I know my image viewer crashes when it tries to open files with kanji and such in their filenames.
They did originally. When I uploaded the file, all the hiragana were replaced with Spaces (the tildes stayed intact). Just to be sure, I copied one of the files, changed the filename and all of its properties (Artist, album title, etc.) into English characters. Everything gives the same results as before.

Edit: Oh. Yeah, when I try to upload it, the webpage says it's finished (instantly) and there sits an object 0 KB big.

Sound only ?

Use Wavepad to rip the sound from your PC's stereo output. Save it as mp3 or other easy to upload format.
I've never been a fan of such indirect recording. The quality is always a tiny bit different or smudged compared to the original. D: (I may resort to this later, if I'm desperate)

what format were they ripped to?
mp3.

Samuraid
01-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Hmm...things are still a little unclear at the moment.

You are correct in assuming that recording through analog degrades the quality. It most certainly does. :) Ripping directly (assuming no jitter read errors) maintains the original digital data bit for bit.

I would strongly recommend trying out CDex to rip music. It's a longstanding and well known CD ripping program (on SourceForge) and provides a good basis for debugging whether audio extraction is working or not.
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

Rostum
01-15-2007, 07:32 AM
I'd like to back up Samuraid's claims about CDex, it's a nice and simply program, yet does the job perfectly. I usualy just use this program when it comes to ripping and have never had any sorts of troubles with it.

Xaven
01-15-2007, 08:18 AM
W00t!

Thanks; that CDex program worked perfectly, and now I can do whatever I want with the audio files. :D Muchos gracias senors? Whatever, I don't speak Spanish. :D

Mirage
01-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Yes, CD-Ex is one of the better opensource programs out there :].