PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good RPG

Hambone
01-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Yeah. I'm looking for a good RPG that's not a Final Fantasy game, but with the same battle system. (ATB.) I'd like it to be long and have an interesting plot. Any platform will do except xbox and xbox 360 will do. Now, recommendations?

LunarWeaver
01-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Xenosaga Episode I, II (...sort of), and III :bigsmile:

Except they don't use the ATB. I can't think of anything but Final Fantasy that does at the moment besides Chrono Trigger or Xenogears. Baten Kaitos Origins' Delay Bar was sort of like an ATB bar in reverse, and the plot was way better than most RPGs, including the first BK.

Erdrick Holmes
01-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Your best bet is to go with anything with Phantasy Star in the title (except for PSO Cards or whatever it was).

Dreddz
01-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Im just going to list current gen system titles as I dont want to go on forever, next gen dont have F-all at the moment.

Dark Cloud 2
Grandia 3
Dragon Quest VIII
Suikoden V

All worth your money.

Your best bet is to go with anything with Phantasy Star in the title (except for PSO Cards or whatever it was).

Its best to leave PSIII and Universe out as well, they werent particulary good. Everything else is great though, PSII still remains one of my favourite RPG titles ever.

StarlightAngel
01-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Golden Sun is pretty good, but it's played out through Golden Sun 1 and Golden Sun 2.

Aemilius Blight
01-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Chrono Trigger and Xenogears are the only decent ones that I can think of off hand that use ATB.

Dr Aum
01-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Let me suggest that you try branching off from ATB. It's a nice system, but there are plenty of other great alternatives out there. EarthBound is a must-play, if you haven't already, by the way.

Zeromus_X
01-15-2007, 12:12 AM
What about real-time RPGs? Like the Tales series and Star Ocean? You should definitely try out those. I'd start with Tales of Symphonia (GC) and Tales of the Abyss (PS2), as well as Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (PS2). All of these are rather inexpensive as well.

However, it's true, that ATB isn't really the standard RPG battle system. All of the great games I can think of that have ATB have already been said, definitely give Chrono Trigger a shot. Grandia III also has a pretty neat battle system, which is somewhat remniscent of ATB. It's also really fun.

Slicksword45
01-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Valkery Profile 2 has one of the best battle systems ever :)

Erdrick Holmes
01-15-2007, 01:10 AM
Its best to leave PSIII and Universe out as well, they werent particulary good.

Are you high or something? :mad:

Dreddz
01-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Its best to leave PSIII and Universe out as well, they werent particulary good.

Are you high or something? :mad:

Maybe PSIII wasnt thaaaaat bad, but Universe was. At least I beat PSIII, Universe im not even half way into the story and havent even gone online yet. Out of the bombardment of 360 games I got last christmas, Universe was probably the worst one.

PeTeRL90
01-15-2007, 05:44 AM
Three words:

Shadow Hearts Series.

black orb
01-15-2007, 05:53 AM
Valkery Profile 2 has one of the best battle systems ever :)
>>> Quoted for truth..

and ATB sucks..

Dragoon Kain
01-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Three words:

Shadow Hearts Series.

this man knows what hes talking about.

ljkkjlcm9
01-15-2007, 07:47 AM
You have a DS, which can play GBA games, get Golden Sun if you don't have it, and it's sequel/continuation, Golden Sun: The Lost Age. I loved them, you'll love them.

And whoever said Phantasy Star Universe isn't a good/fun game, didn't really give it a chance, cause it's tons of fun.

THE JACKEL

Rostum
01-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Well, what RPG's do you currently own?

Square-Enix seem to have a lot of good RPG's around here and there if you're willing to filter through and read some reviews for them.

The Xenosaga games are pretty good too, imo. As well as Chrono Cross, Suikoden V and Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. Valkyrie Profile is an awesome game, and although I haven't been able to play the second one, it does look very nice.

If you're looking around on DS, there are pleanty around that will keep you busy. Which is why I must get a DS. There's FF1+2, FF3, FF4, FF5 and soon FF6, as well as Golden Sun 1+2, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, Children of Mana. There's also FF12:RW and Heros of Mana coming to the DS.

Yar
01-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Try Super Mario RPG for SNES. Get a ROM if necessary. You'll enjoy it if you can take it's humor and not complain that it's "too childish". Compared to other Mario RPGs it's rather mature.

Hambone
01-18-2007, 05:28 AM
Well, what RPG's do you currently own?

Square-Enix seem to have a lot of good RPG's around here and there if you're willing to filter through and read some reviews for them.

The Xenosaga games are pretty good too, imo. As well as Chrono Cross, Suikoden V and Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. Valkyrie Profile is an awesome game, and although I haven't been able to play the second one, it does look very nice.

If you're looking around on DS, there are pleanty around that will keep you busy. Which is why I must get a DS. There's FF1+2, FF3, FF4, FF5 and soon FF6, as well as Golden Sun 1+2, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, Children of Mana. There's also FF12:RW and Heros of Mana coming to the DS.

As of now, I have FFIII-XII (except XI) Kingdom Hearts I & II, Pokemon Leaf Green (which I guess is technically an RPG), I've beaten Super Mario RPG, but don't currently own it. I think that's it.

Aemilius Blight
01-18-2007, 05:40 AM
Then you need more Suikoden and Xenogears.

Crossblades
01-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Phantasia
Golden Sun 1 and 2
Breath of Fire II and IV
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Paper Mario 2
Dragon Quest I, II, III

Mikztsu
01-18-2007, 02:45 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Dragon Quest 8: Journey Of The Cursed King ( Dragon Warrior 8 or something in America). I simply loved this game. Plot is brilliant and even new plot opens after you've completed the game. I also liked the battle system a lot and the humor was good too.

Here's one review: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/dragonwarrior8/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary

Shadow Hearts: Covenant (PS2) is a good game as well. I especially liked it's two-minded sense of humor.

Riana
01-18-2007, 02:54 PM
I didn't think battle systems mattered. What really counts is the game itself. Here's a few from the top of my head that I recommend.

Kingdom Hearts I & II
Grandia 2
Shadow Hearts
Legaia 2: Duel Saga
Wild Arms 3
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PSP)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I & II
Diablo II

Be warned though Valkyrie Profile is extremely addictive.

Bunny
01-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Three words:

Shadow Hearts Series.

Three more words:

Rare As :skull::skull::skull::skull: .

Why would you want to play games that are not Final Fantasy? Are you mentally ill or something? Nobody should ever do that. Final Fantasy forever!

Go with Suikoden V. It's pretty good.

Mikztsu
01-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I & II

Speaking of Baldur's Gates in general: if you're also into more real RPG's with true almost full freedom that are not like Final Fantasies, you should play the whole Baldur's Gates series on PC ( I'm not talking about Dark Alliances; they're whole different games which I don't even count as RPG's).

Baldur's Gate trilogy on PC ( Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn and the Baldur's Gate: Throne of the Bhaal) is still the best RPG ever made in my eyes.

Ichimonji
01-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I think your best bet is Suikoden V or Dragon Quest VIII. Excellent games.

Xenosaga Episode III is awesome as hell, however, Xenosaga Episode I was average, and Xenosaga Episode II sucked. It's a good plot if you feel up to plowing through the first two games.

LunarWeaver
01-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Three words:

Shadow Hearts Series.

Yes! :jess: If you can't find the first two, you can skip to the third one, Shadow Hearts: From the New World, as it mostly starts from scratch. However, the second, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, is the best in my opinion. Although the first and second are tied together, I would imagine you could buy the second only and be quite fine with it all as the game does fill you in and has a lot of independent storyline as well.

Vermachtnis
01-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Why is everyone picking on Xenosaga II? It's better then the first one, with the exeption of the different VAs. The battle system was fun and different, but once you got used to it, it was great.

Anywho On Topic:
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of the Abyss
Shadow Hearts Series (If you can find them)
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn (This is kinda hard to find too)
SMT: Digital Devil Saga (Again if you can find them)

thegirth
01-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Shining Force Series, particularly Shining force 2 for the Genesis, my second favorite game of all time, next to ff7

Mikztsu
01-18-2007, 09:56 PM
What's the deal with everyone claiming Shadow Hearts being so rare and hard to find? I see Covenant at least even on supermarkets all the time ( in Finland).

Remedy
02-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Three words:

Shadow Hearts Series.

reminder ;)

aquatius
02-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Golden Sun 1&2. They totally rox.

remnant1
02-13-2007, 04:06 PM
although it dosen run on ATB,star ocean:till the end of time is a must for rpg fans.the battles are in real time,and its really fun.they could've improved on the motion of the charecters but its still a very(i stress the very)good game.if you do play it though,take in mind that the story kinda goes whack for a little while.