PDA

View Full Version : I like interesting facts ^_^

Sakura
01-14-2007, 10:40 PM
Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

As of 2006, more than one in eight people in the United States show signs of addiction to the internet.

The average bed is home to over 6 billion dust mites.

The average chocolate bar has 8 insect legs in it.

Just about 3 people are born every second, and about 1.3333 people die every second. The result is about a 2 and 2/3 net increase of people every second. Almost 10 people more live on this Earth now, than before you finished reading this.

On an average work day, a typist's fingers travel 12.6 miles.

Men can read smaller print than women; women can hear better.

Your body is creating and killing 15 million red blood cells per second!

Men are 6 times more likley to get hit by lightning than a woman (la la)
I know there are sooo many more ^_^
But please post any you know, I love reading things like this

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Men are 6 times more likley to get hit by lightning than a woman, mainly due to stupidity...

I take offense to that since it implies that in general men are more stupid.

Sakura
01-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Happy now :{

Some guys at school like climbing into trees during a storm and whoever chickens out first loses -_-

Shlup
01-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Men are 6 times more likley to get hit by lightning than a woman, mainly due to stupidity...

sux 2 b u

Psychotic
01-14-2007, 11:19 PM
The average chocolate bar has 8 insect legs in it. I have one in my mouth right now. I do believe I can detect a hint of stag beetle.

Renmiri
01-14-2007, 11:36 PM

And this is news to you ? :p

j/k!

Let the sex wars begin :D

Rye
01-14-2007, 11:38 PM
* Proportionally, the barnacle has the largest penis in the animal kingdom.

* Iceland has the highest concentration of broadband users in the world.

* In Swedish, the longest word is NORDÖSTERSJÖKUSTARTILLERIFLYGSPANINGSSIMULATORANLÄGG-
NINGSMATERIELUNDERHÅLLSUPPFÖLJNINGSSYSTEMDISKUSSIONS-
INLÄGGSFÖRBEREDELSEARBETEN (130 letters), "preparatory work on the contribution to the discussion on the maintaining system of support of the material of the aviation survey simulator device within the north-east part of the coast artillery of the Baltic," according to 1996 Guinness. Go Scandinavia!

* In the 40's, the Bich pen was changed to Bic for fear that Americans would pronounce it 'Bitch.'

* Walt Disney was afraid of mice.

* Every person has a unique tongue print.

Bunny
01-14-2007, 11:38 PM

See, this is because men spend most of their time outside doing work, while women spend their time inside cooking, cleaning, and painting their nails.

I can be offensive too!

A pig has a 30 minute orgasm.

Vermachtnis
01-14-2007, 11:48 PM
In an average life time you will consume about eight spiders.
Spain literally means 'the land of rabbits.'

Sakura
01-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Frogs can throw their entire stomuch up in space, shove it back down their throats and still function

blim
01-15-2007, 12:01 AM
All courtesy of QI (and possibly misremembered)

The Earth has at least two moons

Blackberries are not berries

Cinderellas glass slipper was originally squirrel fur

the lenses of your eyes are made of chalk

Walruses suffer from dandruff.

Shoeberto
01-15-2007, 12:23 AM
I would like everyone to please check your interesting "facts" against Snopes (http://snopes.com/) just because otherwise you're going to have smarmy upstarts proving you wrong many times over.

Personally, most of my interesting facts come from my lengths of time spent at IMDB reading the trivia pages for movies. Why did I just admit that?

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-15-2007, 12:24 AM

Two moons? Where's the second?

LunarWeaver
01-15-2007, 12:26 AM
A pig has a 30 minute orgasm.

From now on, when anybody calls me a pig, I will officially take it as a compliment.

blim
01-15-2007, 12:37 AM

Two moons? Where's the second?

er, orbiting the earth cant remember the name right now but i'll get back to you

EDIT: its called cruithne

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/second_moon_991029.html

EDIT 2: If you like pointless trivia search for QI on youtube or go to http://www.qi.com/

Levian
01-15-2007, 12:38 AM
An interesting fact is that a lot of "interesting facts" are a load of bull droppings. It's funny how stuff spread around so fast really. The ones that are tricky to disprove are definitely the worst, like the one with an average person swallows 8 spiders a day.

Xaven
01-15-2007, 12:58 AM
I loathe "interesting facts" mainly because as previously stated, the majority of them are bull-honky. Half of the true stuff that's left isn't interesting at all. :D

Alaska is bigger than Mexico. That's all I have.

FFfan7
01-15-2007, 01:17 AM
Happy now :{

Some guys at school like climbing into trees during a storm and whoever chickens out first loses -_-
you think thats bad im in florida and my friends tryed flying with garbage bags in the middle of a hurricane(sorry if i spelled that wrong)

01-15-2007, 01:26 AM
An interesting fact is that a lot of "interesting facts" are a load of bull droppings. It's funny how stuff spread around so fast really. The ones that are tricky to disprove are definitely the worst, like the one with an average person swallows 8 spiders a day.

My old math teacher said "bull droppings" a lot.

He also compared our class to geese and other farm animals.

FFfan7
01-15-2007, 01:27 AM
i think i heard this on mind of mencia but dont some peopole drink their own urine for health purposes....i dont know if this is my definition of a fun fact but DAA DUM! ok:)

blim
01-15-2007, 01:28 AM
There are NOT nine planets in the solar system (its either 8 or 12 depending on definitions).

Mount Fuji means Mountain mountain

When you get married you dont walk down the aisle

Yeah i heard drinking urine is meant to be good for you as well

FFfan7
01-15-2007, 01:30 AM
hmm another interesting fact...wherever i go on this site it just seems that people shy away from me...

Xaven
01-15-2007, 01:42 AM
There are NOT nine planets in the solar system (its either 8 or 12 depending on definitions).
It's officially 8 planets according to the IAU (International Astonomers Union).

blim
01-15-2007, 01:46 AM
It's officially 8 planets according to the IAU (International Astonomers Union).

So i gather, the 12 was because if you want to include pluto you should include 3 others (i think)

Xaven
01-15-2007, 02:04 AM

So i gather, the 12 was because if you want to include pluto you should include 3 others (i think)
Yes. Charon, Ceres, and Eris were almost made official planets, but it never happened. Instead, Pluto was demoted to dwarf-planet.

Madame Adequate
01-15-2007, 02:16 AM
Actually, depending on your definitions, there are eight, ten, twenty-one, eighty thousand, or several million planets in the solar system. Ceres was considered a planet (The tenth one) until the 1850s. 2003 UB313 is actually larger than Pluto is, too.

America was named after a Welsh (ew) businessman named Richard Ameryk, not after Amerigo Vespucci (Were it the latter, it would be called something like Vespuccia, because places get named after the discoverer's surname).

Cockroaches aren't actually that great at living through a nuclear war. Whilst doing better than Humans, they're one of the least rad-resistent insects around. A fruit fly dies at around 64,000 rads, whilst a cockroach at only 20,000 (Humans are about 1,000).

Oh, and lemmings don't commit mass suicide. They merely panic.

blim
01-15-2007, 02:20 AM
Actually, depending on your definitions, there are eight, twelve, eighty thousand, or several million planets in the solar system.

America was named after a Welsh (ew) businessman named Richard Ameryk, not after Amerigo Vespucci (Were it the latter, it would be called something like Vespuccia, because places get named after the discoverer's surname).

Cockroaches aren't actually that great at living through a nuclear war. Whilst doing better than Humans, they're one of the least rad-resistent insects around. A fruit fly dies at around 64,000 rads, whilst a cockroach at only 20,000 (Humans are about 1,000).

Oh, and lemmings don't commit mass suicide. They merely panic.

Another QI fan?

Mirage
01-15-2007, 03:06 AM
Except you got that one wrong. It's supposed to be 8 spiders per lifetime.

Laddy
01-15-2007, 03:10 AM
Every person can name 5 random people in the world, and chances are, at least one would be linked to that person in some way.

Bunny
01-15-2007, 03:21 AM
Every person can name 5 random people in the world, and chances are, at least one would be linked to that person in some way.

Through the person that named them?

Laddy
01-15-2007, 03:23 AM
No, just random people in the world, if you knew the name of everyone, but didn't actually know anyone, name 5, and one could be connected to you.

Mirage
01-15-2007, 04:06 AM
What do you mean by random? Do you mean I should just make up 5 different persons that I have no idea if even exists?

Furthermore, you say there's a chance that you know at least one of them. How big is this chance?

Laddy
01-15-2007, 04:13 AM
Not know, but be linked to. And I'm talking if you knew the name of everyone in the world. Oh, and a 78.9% if I remember correctly.

Shoeberto
01-15-2007, 04:19 AM
I'm assuming you're referencing to the theory of six degrees of separation.

Laddy
01-15-2007, 04:20 AM
Yes, I believe you are correct.

NorthernChaosGod
01-15-2007, 04:21 AM
More than 90% of plane crashes have survivors.

The Mona Lisa used to hang on the wall of Napoleon’s bedroom.

Modern teenagers are better behaved than their counterparts of 20 years ago, showing "less problematic behavior" involving sex, drugs and drink.

Every drop of seawater contains approximately 1 billion gold atoms.

The US national anthem actually has three verses, but everyone just knows the first one.

The total combined weight of the worlds ant population is heavier than the weight of the human population.

rubah
01-15-2007, 04:30 AM
the 6 degrees of separation thing had a degree taken out when the internet became popular

blim
01-15-2007, 04:51 AM
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle played in goal for Portsmouth

Christmas
01-15-2007, 04:58 AM
NANNY MANUS release hazardous gas from his mold anus when being threaten. :(

NorthernChaosGod
01-15-2007, 09:31 AM
A German World War II submarine was sunk due to malfunction of the toilet.

Ernest Vincent Wright wrote a novel with over 50,000 words, none of which containing the letter "e."

There was once a town in West Virginia called "6."

Napoleon made his battle plans in a sandbox.

Nondairy creamer is flammable.

The average American consumes enough caffeine in one year to kill a horse.

Mirage
01-15-2007, 09:50 AM
The average Eskimo consumes enough salt in one year to kill a gorilla.

The average anyone consumes anything in one year to kill almost anything, because we consume it over the period of one year, not one second. A horse would have no problem consuming as much caffeine as a human over the course of an entire year.

Probably the stupidest fun "fact" I've seen in my entire life :p.

NorthernChaosGod
01-15-2007, 10:00 AM
The average Eskimo consumes enough salt in one year to kill a gorilla.

The average anyone consumes anything in one year to kill almost anything, because we consume it over the period of one year, not one second. A horse would have no problem consuming as much caffeine as a human over the course of an entire year.

Boo!

I'm just copying and pasting man.

Mirage
01-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Yeah, that's why we need to think before passing on things as fact :p.

KentaRawr!
01-15-2007, 11:03 AM
The word "nerd" first appeared in the Dr. Seus Book, "If I ran a Zoo".

Levian
01-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Except you got that one wrong. It's supposed to be 8 spiders per lifetime.

Yeah, I don't know why I wrote day. I meant lifetime.

Mirage
01-15-2007, 05:40 PM
8 per day, and you wouldn't need to have regular meals :D.

NorthernChaosGod
01-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah, that's why we need to think before passing on things as fact :p.

Bah Humbug!

DarkLadyNyara
01-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Nondairy creamer is flammable.
Hm... I'll have to test that... :radred:

Anaisa
01-15-2007, 11:33 PM

See, this is because men spend most of their time outside doing work, while women spend their time inside cooking, cleaning, and painting their nails.

I can be offensive too!

Suggesting all men work outside labouring is complimentary?

01-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Taking too much fat-soluable vitamins can be dangerous.

Excess amounts of beta carotene in ferrets has been related to increase chance of lung cancer. (Beta carotene is what the body makes uses to make Vitamin A. Also, ferrets supposedly have similar lungs to humans).

There is little caffeine in chocolate (<5mg)

Vitamin C does not help cure a cold. Excess Vitamin C is urinated out anyways.

"Homosexual" was only coined in the mid-1800's in German then few years later in English.

Vibrators were once sold in Eaton's catalog under women's health products.

Hysteria, until the 70's, was considered a mental disordered and was one of the most diagnosed disease in women at the time. The cure for hysteria was the vibrator (this explains the previous point).

Going outside with little on in the middle of winter does not cause one to have a cold. It is our change in behaviour during the winter that does (i.e. we are inside and much more crowded in the winter than in the summer).

Sakura
01-16-2007, 12:12 AM
A planet must be a certain blank number in diameter and be strong enough to pull things into orbit around it and orbit around in a certian blah blah order well anyways :p there's many spots in our universe where millions of planets are being created and destroyed, just not in our solar system :p

(little late response to previous comments)

Dr. Acula
01-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Toothpaste has volcanic rocks in it. (I forgot where I heard that...)

Mirage
01-16-2007, 02:50 AM
Every single kind of toothpaste in the world?

Giga Guess
01-16-2007, 01:31 PM

I think he's alluding to the 6 degrees of separation theory...that any two people on the planet have no more than 6 degrees of separation, ie//

Me -Who knows-> Person 1 -Who Knows-> Person 2 -Who Knows-> Person 3 -Who Knows-> Person 4 -Who Knows-> Sean Bean.

Now it's figuring out the intermediary people that tends to be tricky.

Bunny
01-16-2007, 01:36 PM

I can be offensive too!

Suggesting all men work outside labouring is complimentary?

I wasn't really suggesing anything other than "look, this is a stupid and generalizing, baseless fact." Proving that I can make stuff up just as great as anyone and call it fact. Also there was a mild underlying attempt at humor. I guess I failed.

I think he's alluding to the 6 degrees of separation theory...that any two people on the planet have no more than 6 degrees of separation, ie//

Me -Who knows-> Person 1 -Who Knows-> Person 2 -Who Knows-> Person 3 -Who Knows-> Person 4 -Who Knows-> Sean Bean.

Now it's figuring out the intermediary people that tends to be tricky.

I know what he meant, but the way he expressed it was just all wrong and senseless.

Giga Guess
01-16-2007, 01:40 PM
I figured as much, but for clarification for everyone else, I figured I'd throw my two bits in.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
01-16-2007, 03:42 PM
How random is random though. And I'm more likely to name someone who I've heard of, right?

Sakura
01-17-2007, 12:04 AM
We're all related here!
From inscest from Adam and Eves family ^_^
Or single cell inscest :}
So let's be nice to eachother cousin ^__^!