PDA

View Full Version : Metallica fans, here's a great link...

Peter_20
01-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Look what I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dnfWQEWCY0&mode=related&search=

That's a demo version of The Call of Ktulu, and it's from 1983. :thumb:
It KICKS ASS, I always bang my head off during that ending thingy.

You can find the other songs from Ride the Lightning there too.

jrgen
01-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Nice find, it's pretty different from the album version. Thanks.

Peter_20
01-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I actually think the drums sound great on this version. :thumb:
The mid-solo needed some improvement, though.

NorthernChaosGod
01-15-2007, 09:45 AM
It was alright, I liked the album version a lot better. Some parts on this one are too sped up, other parts are too choppy.

A good find though. :cool:

Peter_20
01-15-2007, 09:47 AM
It was alright, I liked the album version a lot better. Some parts on this one are too sped up, other parts are too choppy.

A good find though. :cool:Yeah, but listen to that chromatic ending part (05:03 - 05:48), it totally rocks.
It's a friggin' musical storm.

NorthernChaosGod
01-15-2007, 09:59 AM
I was paying attention, I just feel that the studio version is a much better song overall.

Also, the Fight Fire with Fire demo is a bit too slow for my liking.

Peter_20
01-15-2007, 10:02 AM
I was paying attention, I just feel that the studio version is a much better song overall.

Also, the Fight Fire with Fire demo is a bit too slow for my liking.Yeah, none of the demos can really compare with the final versions, but I actually think the demos are "heavier" during some parts.

feioncastor
01-15-2007, 10:02 AM
I take it that's Dave on lead guitar there... That's weird because it doesn't really sound like a Dave Mustaine solo. It actually sounds kinda like Kirk... I wonder.

While I respect Dave Mustaine, I am glad Kirk plays with Metallica. He has a style of guitar solos that is all his own and it always fits perfectly to the song, everytime. Dave Mustaine's style is different than Kirk's and I don't think Dave's guitar solos would've sounded good over rythyms like Sanitarium or Fade to Black. Plus, if Dave would've stuck around then James wouldn't have been lead singer, and chances are we wouldn't have songs like One or Enter Sandman, and if we did, they wouldn't be as awesome without James singing them.

Lars sounds roughly the same as he ever did. And you can tell it's Cliff and not Jason. Even if you didn't know what year Jason joined or anything, you can tell because when Cliff plays bass, you can actually hear it. Jason always played a simple bass line to James' rythyms, leaving the bass rather inaudible.

NOTE - James does sing on Ride the Lightning, Fight Fire with Fire and Creeping Death, which means this demo may have been recorded after Mustaine left, meaning that you're hearing Kirk on lead guitar. Meh, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know for sure.

Peter_20
01-15-2007, 10:37 AM
I take it that's Dave on lead guitar there... That's weird because it doesn't really sound like a Dave Mustaine solo. It actually sounds kinda like Kirk... I wonder.

While I respect Dave Mustaine, I am glad Kirk plays with Metallica. He has a style of guitar solos that is all his own and it always fits perfectly to the song, everytime. Dave Mustaine's style is different than Kirk's and I don't think Dave's guitar solos would've sounded good over rythyms like Sanitarium or Fade to Black. Plus, if Dave would've stuck around then James wouldn't have been lead singer, and chances are we wouldn't have songs like One or Enter Sandman, and if we did, they wouldn't be as awesome without James singing them.

Lars sounds roughly the same as he ever did. And you can tell it's Cliff and not Jason. Even if you didn't know what year Jason joined or anything, you can tell because when Cliff plays bass, you can actually hear it. Jason always played a simple bass line to James' rythyms, leaving the bass rather inaudible.

NOTE - James does sing on Ride the Lightning, Fight Fire with Fire and Creeping Death, which means this demo may have been recorded after Mustaine left, meaning that you're hearing Kirk on lead guitar. Meh, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know for sure.As far as I know, Dave left the band somewhere at 1983, so chances are he's playing on some of the demos.

FYI:
James: 1981~
Lars: 1981~
Glen: 1981
Lloyd: 1981
Brad: 1981
Jeff: 1981
Dave: 1981-1983
Ron: 1981-1982
Cliff: 1982-1986
Kirk: 1983~
Jason: 1986-2001
Bob: 2001-2003
Robert: 2003~

NorthernChaosGod
01-15-2007, 11:50 PM
I really don't like Kirk's solos too much, they're too repetitive for my tastes.

But I am glad that Dave got kicked out. If it were not for that, he never would have formed Megadeth. And Megadeth, I feel, is a vastly superior band than Metallica. Not only are the songs better technically, they have more album releases, with a larger percentage of them being hits.