PDA

View Full Version : What do you eat?!

Mirage
01-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi guys and gals.
Today I shall present two questions.

Are you a vegetarian, or are you an omnivore?
(I guess I could add carnivore too, but I doubt any of us never eats anything but meat.)

Also, do you think it's silly to only eat vegetables? What about those of you that are vegetarians, why are you vegetarians?

I'm quite fond of meat and dairy products myself. I think think it's good to eat meat and dairy products along with vegetablestuff. Consuming only veggies would be a bit too boring to me, and I'd lose out on some of the stuff that meat has, but vegetables don't have. Also, meat tastes really good.

Polaris
01-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi guys and gals.

Hi!

Are you a vegetarian, or are you an omnivore?
Omnivore! :D

Also, do you think it's silly to only eat vegetables?

No but vegetables don't like me and I don't like them ;) I just like to eat vegetables in soup and without noticing they're there! I h ate to be eating and chewing those horrible hard vegetables!

Bubblekin
01-15-2007, 03:17 PM
I was a vegetarian for about 7 years until last year. I stopped eating meat thinking it would help me lose weight (I was in high school then), but then last year I was convinced by a personal trainer friend to change my diet to be high-protein and low-carb, and I can say first hand it's basically impossible to go low-carb on a vegetarian diet unless you subsist on nothing but cottage cheese...

Curiously, a lot of my stomach/digestion problems went away when I cut out a lot of the breads and pastas.

I don't eat beef, though, that's one thing I haven't started eating since I introduced meat back into my diet. I never liked hamburgers :p

I considered veganism until I realized that it's pretty much impossible to get the proper balanced diet, especially when in North America we purchase the majority of our food from grocery stores, where everything is manufactured by third parties. There's so many 'random' animal products in things...

Also, I drink a lot of coffee and tea and water...pop and juice are expensive but coffee makes the world go 'round~~

Christmas
01-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Where is that dude that only live on water?

Meat Puppet
01-15-2007, 03:25 PM
I’m an omnivore. I eat everything that I can, and then some stuff that I shouldn’t.

Mirage
01-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Oh yeah, I suppose I should specify that under vegetables, I count all sorts of plants, not just the green and icky-
tasting stuff.

Rye
01-15-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm a vegetarian. To be honest, though I do care greatly about animals and I wish animals were treated more humanely before they're killed for meat, and were killed in a quick and painless manner, the major two reasons I became a vegetarian are foremost, to see if I could it, and secondly, to lose some weight.

I've only gained weight, really, and I do rather miss some meat, so I don't know how long I will stay a vegetarian. I've done it for over half a year now. I am proud that I was able to pull it off though, it was very hard for me. I miss not having to eat the same foods every day, because since I'm a picky eater, pretty much all I eat is rice, pasta, bagels and salad. Being a vegetarian means always being hungry. :/

So yeah, I'm a vegetarian, but my dedication to it is starting to wane. :p

Mirage
01-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Animals are usually killed as quickly and effectively as possible though. I don't think it takes more than a second or two.
My parents are farmers, and I know that as long as the weather allows for it, live stock are usually free to walk around outside (well, as free as one can be inside a fence, but it's still a pretty large area), and at my parents farm, they can walk around indoors too (but I know not all farms are like that).

Twilight Edge
01-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I am as picky as anyone could possibly imagine mon, but I eat a bit of everything mon.

Jowy
01-15-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm an omnivore. In terms of meats, I prefer poultry and seafood to red meat. Vegetables, I like brocolli and carrots.

Cz
01-15-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm an omnivore, and while I can't say I've taken the time to consider whether I can morally justify that or not, I've never thought of cutting meat out of my diet. I've got no problem with vegetarians, and I rather admire them for taking a stand in an issue they care about, but it's not for me, thanks.

Tavrobel
01-15-2007, 04:09 PM
I don't understand how people can eat green stuff. Your body can't even use Cellulose, mister Appendix.

For serious, an omnivore. Eating fruits probably counts. As for vegetarians, I silently mock them while sitting in a dark corner hiding behind my shame. Then I go and laugh in their face. But only because I'm jealous of their balanced diet.

Mirage
01-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Oh, but there's more than cellulose in vegetables :p.

N8V_Tidus25
01-15-2007, 04:14 PM
where I come from we didn't have vegetables, so I guess I use to be a carnivore though, we have vegetables today but I still rarely eat at all and when I'm hungry I go for meat.

Giga Guess
01-15-2007, 04:17 PM
I am the human garbage can. I'll eat pretty much anything. Well, okay, I can be finicky at times, but nevertheless, I do not exclude any food groups.

Old Manus
01-15-2007, 04:17 PM
I like meat because I don't like vegetables

Sergeant Hartman
01-15-2007, 04:20 PM
I like meat because I don't like vegetables
Get it down ew son.

Vermachtnis
01-15-2007, 04:30 PM
I eat more meat than vegatable/fruits. I'll have french fries and mashed potatoes now and again, but it's mostly steak/porkchops/bacon/lamb chops/shrimp/crab/chicken/tuna/clams/ect, ect! Oh yea ham/turkey/roast beef...

Mo-Nercy
01-15-2007, 04:51 PM
I can't imagine life without steak.

41-Inches-Wide
01-15-2007, 05:11 PM
I eat potato chips. I also eat ham. And tiny chops of veggies in my soup (only if i don't know they're there!).
Yeah, I don't like vegetables. I eat fish a whole lot though. And chicken. Steaks ham and such when there's a celebration. So I'm a what you call someone who eats mostly alot of chips and candies and chocobars. junknivore?

Kossage
01-15-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm definitely an omnivore, but I don't think it's silly to eat only vegetables. :)

Chloe.
01-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Omnivorism for me. :bigsmile:

Heero Yuy NWZC
01-15-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm an omnivore, but I eat more meat and other foods then vegetables. I like some vegetables but not all, they just don't taste that well to me or feel right when I eat them. If they're soften in like soup or something they're fine, and there are others that I can eat all by themself, but for the majority of veegtables I just can't stand without gagging.

black orb
01-15-2007, 05:43 PM
>>> I like free food..

Ki Ki
01-15-2007, 05:59 PM
I love meat and vegetables equally! I don't think I would be very happy without either one.
But for meat I'm very picky. I don't really like any other meat but chicken! :rabite: :choc2:

I don't think it's silly at all to only eat vegetables! I admire the people who can do it. :chef:

Owen Macwere
01-15-2007, 06:03 PM
I am neither, I eat everything that I find except those things I hate. :rolleyes2
And I don't know the names of these things in english, sorry. xD

Levian
01-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Omniwhore http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/levia/MODhappyslk.gif

Yep, not bailing out on my precious meat just yet.

Cipher
01-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Awesome thread, first off.

Definitely an omnivore. Every year for Lent I cut meat out of my diet, and for 40 days I go crazy without it. And it's not a situation where as the days went by I became more and more used to being without meat - right up to the end, I had to restrain myself from running into my local Greek Restaurant and demanding of them a Gyro and fries. I suspect this year won't be any different.

So yeah. If God didn't want us to eat meat, he wouldn't have made them so damn tasty. :D

NINJA_Ryu
01-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Omnivore, though one day maybe a vegetarian. Dunno why, it might be a nice challenge :P

Jojee
01-15-2007, 06:40 PM
What <i>don't</i> I eat? ^_^

Bart's Friend Milhouse
01-15-2007, 06:44 PM
I eat all types of meat apart from pork

XxSephirothxX
01-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Omnivore, definitely. I don't eat nearly as many vegetables as I should, though I eat plenty of fruit.

I read once that different types of people, based on where they're from, genetics, etc., need to have a diet consisting of particular types of food. In other words, it's possible some vegetarians actually should eat meat. I don't know exactly how accurate this is, but I think being a vegetarian is kind of silly because you're not going to get the same balanced diet without any form of meat. If you're just totally against killing animals, though, I guess there's not much to do about it.

mooglebunni608
01-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Cannibal. <3
Actually, just omnivore, kthxbai

Anaisa
01-15-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm a vegetarian, because I know killing animals for food is evil.
Omnivore, definitely. I don't eat nearly as many vegetables as I should, though I eat plenty of fruit.

I read once that different types of people, based on where they're from, genetics, etc., need to have a diet consisting of particular types of food. In other words, it's possible some vegetarians actually should eat meat. I don't know exactly how accurate this is, but I think being a vegetarian is kind of silly because you're not going to get the same balanced diet without any form of meat. If you're just totally against killing animals, though, I guess there's not much to do about it. There is no nutrient in meat that can't be obtained from a vegetarian diet. Vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters, an that's not an opinion, it's a fact. An physiologically we're not even suited to eating meat, so the genetics theory is absurd.
Animals are usually killed as quickly and effectively as possible though. I don't think it takes more than a second or two.
My parents are farmers, and I know that as long as the weather allows for it, live stock are usually free to walk around outside (well, as free as one can be inside a fence, but it's still a pretty large area), and at my parents farm, they can walk around indoors too (but I know not all farms are like that). Most farms an slaughter houses are in no way similar to that. An if you're under the impression that most animals are killed quickly an painlessly, you're very much mistaken.

Mirage
01-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Maybe in your country.

And if there is no nutrient that cannot be obtained though a veggie-only diet, then why do I keep hearing that vegetarians tend to take pills for extra nutrients?

Kirobaito
01-15-2007, 08:54 PM
I am an omnivore. I don't eat fruit, though. It never fits in with whatever I'm eating. Plus the only fruit I even like the taste of it is apples. I eat plenty of meat, and plenty of vegetables, though.

theundeadhero
01-15-2007, 09:01 PM
I ask my self, "What do I eat", every single day. Sometimes I realize that I forgot to eat. I don't eat much, or often.

Only eating vegetables is silly.

Rinion
01-15-2007, 09:11 PM
There is no nutrient in meat that can't be obtained from a vegetarian diet. Vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters, an that's not an opinion, it's a fact. An physiologically we're not even suited to eating meat, so the genetics theory is absurd.

Humans have Canines, which mean they are meant to eat meat.

Most farms an slaughter houses are in no way similar to that. An if you're under the impression that most animals are killed quickly an painlessly, you're very much mistaken.

I don't know about northerners (yankees...), but the farmhouses we have down here generally just chop the animals head off with a chainsaw or axe. Painless, usually.

Breine
01-15-2007, 09:12 PM
I love my meat too much to become a vegetarian, although I have actually thought about it several times - therefore I have absolutely nothing against people being vegetarians, and I don't think it's weird, silly or anything like that. The girl I'm seeing right now is actually also a vegetarian.. so, yeah...

Anaisa
01-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Maybe in your country.No slaughter house in any country will be killing every animal that passes through it's doors quickly an painlessly. Even when slaughter houses are inspected, they fail to kill the great majority quickly an painlessly, so imagine what sort of job they do when they're not being watched.
And if there is no nutrient that cannot be obtained though a veggie-only diet, then why do I keep hearing that vegetarians tend to take pills for extra nutrients?Are you sure you keep hearing that vegetarians take pills for extra nutrients, or do you keep hearing ignorant meat chompers saying they need to take supplements for extra nutrients? An if it's the former, where have you heard that?

Omnivore. Humans have both canines and molars, meaning they were made to eat both plants and meat. Wrong.

Teeth (Canines)
Carnivore: Long, sharp and curved.
Herbivore: Dull and short or long (for defense), or none.
Omnivore: Long, sharp and curved.
Human: Short and blunted.

Teeth (Molars)
Carnivore: Sharp, jagged and blade shaped.
Herbivore: Flattened with cusps vs complex surface.
Omnivore: Sharp blades and/or flattened.
Human: Flattened with nodular cusps.

Jess
01-15-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm an Omnivore. I like my meat!

I don't eat beef, though, because I don't like it. :jess:

Mirage
01-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Maybe in your country.No slaughter house in any country will be killing every animal that passes through it's doors quickly an painlessly. Even when slaughter houses are inspected, they fail to kill the great majority quickly an painlessly, so imagine what sort of job they do when they're not being watched.
And if there is no nutrient that cannot be obtained though a veggie-only diet, then why do I keep hearing that vegetarians tend to take pills for extra nutrients?Are you sure you keep hearing that vegetarians take pills for extra nutrients, or do you keep hearing ignorant meat chompers saying they need to take supplements for extra nutrients? An if it's the former, where have you heard that?

Good thing you know that for a fact. Then I won't even have to ask for a source for it!

And I was hoping maybe you could tell me, seeing as I was asking the question :p. I don't find it obvious that we can get all necessary nutrients from plants, so I'm hoping you can show me that we do. And not from a biased source.

Rinion
01-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Well, all I can say is if I shoved a nice piece of celary in front of my Chocolate Lab, he'd probably run from it. And my canines are about as long and sharp as his, albeit i'm much, much bigger.

The purpose of the canine, in any event, is what I was attempting to address. They are meant to cut meat. If we didn't need them, we wouldn't have them.

Dreddz
01-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Im an omnivore. I know killing animals for our pleasure is wrong, but fortunate for me, I dont care.

Gullick
01-15-2007, 10:33 PM
ill eat pretty much anythin, aslong as its not like really spicy or really really hot :hot:

-Gull-

Anaisa
01-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Good thing you know that for a fact. Then I won't even have to ask for a source for it!I can't find the studies in full on the net, but you should look to the British medical journal vegetarian study, an the Oxford vegetarian study.

And I was hoping maybe you could tell me, seeing as I was asking the question :p. I answered your question as best I could with the knowledge you gave me. I asked you where you'd got your information, you haven't told me, so I assume you got it from where I suggested.
I don't find it obvious that we can get all necessary nutrients from plants, so I'm hoping you can show me that we do. And not from a biased source.You are kidding me?! You don't know what's in the food that you eat, an you want me to find an unbiased source to tell you...... :O_O: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_groups If you look at meat an meat alternatives, you'll see that any nutrient in meat, can be obtained from a meat alternative.
Well, all I can say is if I shoved a nice piece of celary in front of my Chocolate Lab, he'd probably run from it. And my canines are about as long and sharp as his, albeit i'm much, much bigger.If your canines are the same size as a dogs, you're deformed! If you gave your dog a bone to chew on, an then you tried chewing on it, guess what would happen to your teeth.

I don't know about northerners (yankees...), but the farmhouses we have down here generally just chop the animals head off with a chainsaw or axe. Painless, usually.Is it really? How many times have you been cut with an axe an chainsaw to know that?

The purpose of the canine, in any event, is what I was attempting to address. They are meant to cut meat. If we didn't need them, we wouldn't have them. As I've already shown you, you're wrong. Here it is again: Teeth (Canines)
Carnivore: Long, sharp and curved.
Herbivore: Dull and short or long (for defense), or none.
Omnivore: Long, sharp and curved.
Human: Short and blunted.

Humans canines are more like a herbivores, than an omnivores, or a carnivores. Herbivores can have canine teeth. Herbivores don't eat meat. If canine teeth were made for meat eating, herbivores wouldn't have them.

Reles
01-15-2007, 10:50 PM
I like vegetables a lot more than meat, but that's only because I'm very particular with how much fat my meat has on it. I don't like the taste of some things too, but htat isn't a good enough excuse to go completely vegetarian.

Yuffie514
01-16-2007, 04:56 AM
i eat both meat and veggies. but i don't mind cutting meat out of my diet.

Carl the Llama
01-16-2007, 05:09 AM
erm... you forgot to add Vegan >.>

that aside im an Omnivore

UltimaMasamune
01-28-2007, 08:53 PM
I eat anything except for vegetables

screw health and weight
"Laugh and grow fat"(a cookie to who gets the reference)

strangely I am very underweight (I weigh 45 KG and I am 16)

Grendal
01-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Vegan. Have been for about a year now.

fire_of_avalon
01-28-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm an omnivore. And I'm not evil.

ama124
01-28-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm an omnivore :]

I Am Stoner
01-28-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm an omnivore. But then again, i'm a eat-everything-in-sight-vore too.

Shiny
01-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Veggis and babies mmm.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-28-2007, 09:31 PM
i was surprised from the poll

Little Blue
01-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Insectivore. Centipedes are yummy. :bigmsile:

In reality though, omnivore.

sephirothishere
01-28-2007, 09:37 PM
opportunistic omnivore...laka racoon :D!?!?!!!

Yeargdribble
01-28-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm an omnivore...

And btw, so do you think an axe or chainsaw death that takes a few seconds is more or less humane than say... if a wolf caught an animal and tore it limb from limb and started eating it?

Carnivorism and omnivorism are natural. We aren't doing anything less humane to animals than animals do to themselves.

EDIT: Also, on your argument about teeth: Most apes roughly share our tooth structure and are omnivorous.

kikimm
01-28-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm an omnirvore. I was a vegetarian for like, maybe a year and a half awhile ago, but not anymore. I don't eat a whole ton of meat anyways, though. Except fish. I eat a lot of fish.

Bunny
01-28-2007, 11:11 PM
I like meat because I don't like vegetables.

Psychotic
01-28-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm an omnivore.

Meat tastes good. Alternatives to meat taste terribly.

Besides, it's not like it matters if I stop meating eat. The exact same amount of animals would be killed anyway, but this time, some of the meat would go to waste and the animals would have died for nothing.

Fonzie
01-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Got Steak?

Ignisaurarigo
01-28-2007, 11:49 PM
I'm a veggie, and have been for a couple of months now. When I started uni I just stopped eating meat but it took me a while to actually notice :D
Killing animals just to eat, never really sat well with me, I used to just try not to think about it, it's very hard to control your diet when you can't control the food that's being bought.

Nominus Experse
01-29-2007, 12:09 AM
I was once a vegetarian for around a year, and then later added fish and dairy products for another ten or so months before once again returning to a diet including meat. This was approximately three years ago.

For those of you who wonder, yes, I did lose weight; however, in terms of my body, this was a terrible thing. Although not underweight, I sit in the lowest BMI of my range. Dropping ten or so pounds was a grand thing, and it also effected my running. I went from a 5:13 mile to 5:34. My skin colour also changed colour, to a more paler version of what it had once been. However, what needs to be said is that I was not the ideal vegetarian, and I am now aware that I was missing quite a few nutrients in my diet - hence, my skin colour and the like.

A true vegetarian diet ought to have a person looking just as healthy, if not more so, than any omnivore. But in both cases of diet, it depends on how balanced a person makes it.

My reasoning behind becoming vegetarian was that I no longer wished to consume the dirt that an animal is. Animals, in my personal view, are disgusting. As such, I didn't intend to place the gross thing that are livestock in my body.

I honestly do not care if animals die a painless death, or a long, drawn out one. In the natural habitat, most animals die brutally, with their throats or bellies ripped open by teeth. In the slaughterhouse, chainsaws have been used, along with a sort of bolt mechanism, and I am certain there a myriad of other methods of killing the animals. At any rate, I don't care whether it's painless or not - it's going to die.

And animals are not humans. Livestock have been bred to be even less than animals.

However, I hate meat, because I still loathe the thought of consuming the dirty animals. So my diet is still largely vegetarian, supplemented by mass quantities of dairy, citrus fruits and various berries, and I eat fish and eggs more often than I eat meat.

Pork is an abomination and I refuse to eat it - period.

NorthernChaosGod
01-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Omnivorism for me.

I eat pretty much anything edible.

TasteyPies
01-29-2007, 12:50 AM
Right now I'm on a diet of Yogurt, Soup, and Vitamins.

Leeza
01-29-2007, 04:44 AM
<i>Are you a vegetarian, or are you an omnivore?</i>

Definitely a vegetarian. I have been for about 14 years and before that I ate very little meat anyways. I do eat eggs, cheese and milk.

<i>Also, do you think it's silly to only eat vegetables?</i>

No, I don't think it's silly. It's a choice that someone makes for whatever reason.

<i>What about those of you that are vegetarians, why are you vegetarians?</i>

If all I ate was meat that was raised and killed humanely on a farm I might still be eating some meat; however, I was not and most meat meant for the regular population is killed in a very cruel inhumane way and I will not be a part of it.

Chrisrj
01-31-2007, 10:12 PM
I switched to vegetarianism in summer of 05. Part of the reason was the animal thing, but also I was just convinced that it's just healthier. I do eat tuna, eggs and dairy on occasion.

oddler
01-31-2007, 10:15 PM
And thus, the omnivores rose in strength.

No.78
01-31-2007, 10:16 PM
At one period in my life, I thought "Why are humans given an emotion of horror, disgust and fear when faced with the prospect of killing animals and eating? Why do we feel animals are cute and stuff? And yet we;re supposed to eat them?"
I thought that if someone could live without meat, they should... So I decided to try and become a vegetarian. But it lasted a week, I totally lacked the willpower.

But I still believe that we've passed the age of meat eating.

Hambone
02-01-2007, 12:10 AM
MEAT. :mad2:

Miriel
02-01-2007, 12:28 AM
I eat meat. I eat veggies.

Yummy yummy in my tummy!