PDA

View Full Version : Falling Asleep During Long Trips

Evastio
01-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Whenever you're going on a long drive somewhere do you ever fall asleep? If you don't go on long drives anymore did you fall asleep back then?

I don't even though mostly everyone I know does.

Tavrobel
01-15-2007, 09:43 PM
I didn't usually fall asleep, because I had to memorize the way from here (MD) to Philadelphia. When I was young, that's really the only time we traveled. Nowadays, I fall asleep all the time, but not stay asleep longer than thirty minutes. You know, with the whole contacts in eyes and red-ness and the blood. Gotta have the blood.

Dreddz
01-15-2007, 09:44 PM
No, I have a PSP.

Vikeve
01-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Not anymore, but half way through my brain generaly shuts off as it does when I sleep.:)

Chloe.
01-15-2007, 09:52 PM
No, I have a PSP DS and Ipod.

:bigsmile:

Rye
01-15-2007, 09:57 PM
I can't fall asleep in the car. :(

theundeadhero
01-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I use to sleep three or four hours, then drive about fourteen hours from Georgia to Missouri. Leaving about midnight local to 1pm the other local. Easy enough to stay awake.

Shlup
01-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Usually not, no. On the train through Alaska I tried to sleep once but everytime I was almost asleep someone would yell "MOOSE!"

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I used to never fall asleep but now I do. I think it is an ability I have acquired being in university: falling asleep in any situation. I guess it can be good since the train ride when I want to visit home is twelve hours long over night.

Reles
01-15-2007, 10:24 PM
I always fell asleep on long trips. It made the getting there so much faster. Most trips I take now are of me driving now, so I can't really do that anymore.

Xaven
01-15-2007, 11:07 PM
I usually don't sleep on trips. Planes are too exciting to sleep on, cars have scenery to look at, and bus trips are a no-no to sleep on.

NorthernChaosGod
01-15-2007, 11:10 PM
As long as I'm not the one driving, I fall asleep. I bring along an iPod or a portable DVD player, but I like to sleep to pass the time better.

kikimm
01-16-2007, 12:34 AM
I have big problems falling asleep on trips. I can't do it unless I take medication. I wish I could do it without the stuff. It'd be really nice.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
01-16-2007, 12:42 AM
I don't have any electronical stuff to keep me busy, it's a pain charging batteries up plus I don't think listening to music is going to make the fact that you're parked on your ass in the same seat for so many hours any easier. I'd probably just stare out the window and daydream. I can spent hours in mulling over my own thoughts

Leen-Leen
01-16-2007, 12:48 AM
I always do. Even if I'm listening to my iPod or something, I fall asleep eventually. It's the only way to pass time for me . xD I can't really play video games in the car or the airplane or something, because I feel reallly dizzy.

Vermachtnis
01-16-2007, 01:08 AM
I fall asleep all time. Especially when I'm listoning to my Headphones. The only I don't fall asleep is on the way back from the Bookstore/Gamestore and I read the instruction manual or newest Manga. Of course now I have to drive.

Miriel
01-16-2007, 02:31 AM
I can fall asleep on a 5 minute car ride. No joke.

Bunny
01-16-2007, 02:35 AM
Usually. But that mostly has to do with me not getting any sleep the night before a long trip. Not because of anticipation, but because of paranoia that I will miss or forget something.

-N-
01-16-2007, 03:03 AM
Well, I'm usually driving, so no, I don't fall asleep. :p If I'm with a friend and s/he takes over, and I'm sufficiently tired, I will take a short nap.

Martyr
01-16-2007, 04:26 AM
I take every oppertunity I can to pass out.

Yuffie514
01-16-2007, 04:52 AM
on a plane...about 95% of the time, especially when that "once a month" thing gets in the middle. there isn't better timing to take a nice long nap.

roadtrip...i drive now, but i still leave the long driving to my dad. i wouldn't say that i sleep too much, but just enough. otherwise, i could stay up and listen to car music.

Christmas
01-16-2007, 05:21 AM
I always fall asleep when I start driving and when I woke up, I am at the destination! :bigsmile:

Slade
01-16-2007, 06:33 AM
I don't fall asleep on road trips despite getting pretty tired. I just don't like not seeing where I'm being taken.

Meat Puppet
01-16-2007, 10:43 AM
I feel asleep on a bus ride to the capitol city once. The dreams were mediocre, and my whole body felt horrible when I woke up. Worse still, while I was sleeping, I thought some sneaky fingures took away my backpack. I kept looking around and watching people when they leaving, but it didn’t seem like anyone had it. Then, as I was getting off, some guy gave it to me; the backpack had been beside my feet the whole time. I’m such a numskull.

Other than that, I occasionally sleep on long trips. I try to avoid it though, because it always gives me this gruesome feeling when I wake up.

Cz
01-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I hate sitting in the same spot for more than three hours, so I try to fall asleep on long journeys. It doesn't feel too great when I wake up, but at least I'm not bored and uncomfortable for hours and hours.

Jess
01-16-2007, 11:39 AM
I only fall asleep on a car journey if it's really early in the morning/late at night or I'm not having a conversation with anybody. :jess:

yumi
01-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Yep its called temazepam

:kaoyatta:

ljkkjlcm9
01-16-2007, 04:21 PM
yes, because I hope to wake up and be at the destination... though I do play my DS some, but I can get a headache if you combine motion with darkness.

THE JACKEL

Riana
01-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I have to fall asleep or else I feel nausea. :(

I'm not good on trains, boats/ships either.

JKTrix
01-16-2007, 05:30 PM
I live in Bermuda, which is only 21 miles long. A 'long trip' for me is 40 minutes, and that's going from one end of the country to the other.

However, on my 12 hour flight to and from Japan I could *not* go to sleep. I don't understand why. I tried to fall asleep, listened to some music, closed my eyes, but it just wouldn't happen. It wasn't a big deal, I adjusted, but I kinda wanted to sleep.

Jowy
01-16-2007, 05:51 PM
When I used to take cross country bus trips I would take up the three seater in the back and sleep for six hours at a time. It was nice.

Ki Ki
01-16-2007, 09:18 PM
It really depends on who's in the car with me.
If it's no one interesting then I always sleep because time passes quicker that way. :mad:
But if the scenery is pretty I can stay awake for most of the trip! Or even if I need the toilet! :kaolaugh:

Polaris
01-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Most of the times I get sick :rolleyes2 I never sleep, I always look at the landscape!

boys from the dwarf
01-16-2007, 09:30 PM
i often rest my head or occasionally close my eyes but i like to enjoy the trip.

LoveArya
01-16-2007, 11:31 PM
I fell asleep on my way to Austraia..............there was water everywhere..

rubah
01-16-2007, 11:47 PM
I can't fall asleep. We drove from Lafayette, LA to home in Arkansas over night, leaving about 10PM and I didn't sleep at all. I was sharing the backseat with a little ten year old girl though, so it was hard to get comfortable where I could. I did drive the last 70 miles at 6AM though, with that rush of energy you get about that time of night.

I think I might have slept a couple of hours on our flight to London. Mostly because I don't remember the end of the second in-flight movie.

Martyr
01-17-2007, 04:22 AM
When I used to take cross country bus trips I would take up the three seater in the back and sleep for six hours at a time. It was nice.

Do you mean on, like, a Greyhound Bus?
I've been on those things for 3-5 days at a time. I can't sleep there, with all those strangers? Hell, that's the only time I can't sleep in a vehicle. Yopu're telling me you never got your wallet stolen or punched in the gut or sat on by a fat old chick with a playboy tatoo on her upper thigh or nothing?

Pike
01-17-2007, 03:47 PM
I used to all the time, but these days I have something proventing that...

You know, with the whole contacts in eyes and red-ness and the blood. Gotta have the blood.

Yeah, that. Sometimes though, when I know we're going to be in the car for a long time, I purposefully won't put in my contacts so I can sleep. XD

Jowy
01-17-2007, 04:45 PM

Do you mean on, like, a Greyhound Bus?
I've been on those things for 3-5 days at a time. I can't sleep there, with all those strangers? Hell, that's the only time I can't sleep in a vehicle. Yopu're telling me you never got your wallet stolen or punched in the gut or sat on by a fat old chick with a playboy tatoo on her upper thigh or nothing?

My wallet is on a chain affixed to me. I've had my fair share of whacko passengers in the adjacent seat though, at which point I just kind of sat there and fell asleep with my head on the window. I've went from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin about six times with no trouble at all.

NorthernChaosGod
01-17-2007, 09:21 PM
My wallet is on a chain affixed to me. I've had my fair share of whacko passengers in the adjacent seat though, at which point I just kind of sat there and fell asleep with my head on the window. I've went from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin about six times with no trouble at all.

Yeah, I have my wallet on a very long and fat chain. And I guess I look somewhat intimidating as well, no one even comes near me when I ride the train. :(

Iceglow
01-17-2007, 11:21 PM
I generally don't fall asleep infact I have done so maybe 2 times ever in my life since turning 12 normally I'm listening to music and or looking out the window I know for a fact that one morning when a friend decided to drive me and her to scotland for the day (we'd just left a club) I fell asleep somewhere in yorkshire and waking up next to a loch somewhere in Scotland with her sleeping on my shoulder. It was almost unsettling and took me about 5 minutes to remember anything at all and another 5 to wonder if we had enough petrol money to get home.

rubah
01-17-2007, 11:50 PM
I could do it, if only because I do have a wallet, instead of keeping money in a purse. No one expects a girl to have a wallet, especially if she's got a purse around!