PDA

View Full Version : i hate bass

Fisher
01-16-2007, 05:02 AM
i hate the bass guitar i think its completely stupid you can get the same sound from a computer generated sound who here agrees <!--http://forums.ytmnsfw.com/images/smilies/nacho.gif-->

Unnecessary image removed.

~Void

rih29
01-16-2007, 05:05 AM
What the :skull::skull::skull::skull: is up with the giant creepy head?

krissy
01-16-2007, 05:06 AM
1) how do you think those computer generated sounds get recorded

2) your hard rock band might suck

NorthernChaosGod
01-16-2007, 05:13 AM
GTFO my forums.

blim
01-16-2007, 05:18 AM
As a bass player i must disagree, synth bass never sounds as good as a real bass, especially a double bass, also with any synthesised instrument you lose the little nuances that make all the difference. A synth bass will never sound as good as Jaco Pastorius in full flow

Fisher
01-16-2007, 05:18 AM
<!--http://forums.ytmnsfw.com/images/smilies/notfunny.gif--> no god person this is open discussion

Unnecessary image removed.

~Void

rih29
01-16-2007, 05:27 AM
What the hell are you talking about?

nik0tine
01-16-2007, 05:27 AM
How else ya gunna get funkeh?

Fisher
01-16-2007, 05:34 AM
How else ya gunna get funkeh?
dude wtf there are plenty of ways of hearing good music without this :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty instrument get funky with polka music duh l2play an instrument

blim
01-16-2007, 05:38 AM
Do you know anything about music Fisher? I suspect not judging by your original post. Do you think an acoustic guitar can be replicated accurately on a computer? I admit as technology improves it gets closer but as of now nothing matches a live instrument.

Like to see this done on a synth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw8ytGHTbNc

Jowy
01-16-2007, 05:49 AM
lol ytmnd is so funny.

Samuraid
01-16-2007, 06:01 AM
I have yet to hear a synthesized bass that compares to a real one played by a skilled musician. The same goes for basically every other instrument out there.

blackmage_nuke
01-16-2007, 06:17 AM
A band without bass is like a song without low notes plucked on a stringed instrument. It would suck

-

Bunny
01-16-2007, 06:32 AM
Why hello Mr. Giant Jack Black Head. How are you doing this day? Good I hope.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-16-2007, 06:35 AM
Synthetic music is never as good as a skilled musician playing the instrument.

Slade
01-16-2007, 06:40 AM
NO electronic music is as good as real instruments.

My opinion, of course.
Oh and bass guitar is awesome and I love watching bass players play.

Meat Puppet
01-16-2007, 06:44 AM
If you don’t like bass, you could try smashing one of your speakers (can’t remember which). That way—in one or two songs, at least—you won’t be able to hear the bass guitar track. Though that would mean you may have to jetsam a few other parts of the song (as well as having a mono? track), but I’m sure they’re all expendable if it means getting rid of that horrid bass. Or you could just change the panning. Whatever works for you.

Me, I quite like bass guitar. :) My sister plays it, and she can make some pretty funky sounds come out of it. I jam with her sometimes, and though I have never jammed with a machine, I guess it wouldn’t be as fun as it would with a human. My aunty’s father also plays it, but I don’t really like playing guitar with him because sometimes he has this jazz stuff which he makes me do. I don’t really like it because I’m not too good at either instrument (guitar or bass guitar).

nik0tine
01-16-2007, 07:41 AM
Do you know anything about music Fisher? I suspect not judging by your original post. Do you think an acoustic guitar can be replicated accurately on a computer? I admit as technology improves it gets closer but as of now nothing matches a live instrument.
o rly? (http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php?productid=EW-165)

Cz
01-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I can't understand how you can get to a place in your head where you loathe an instrument so much. I'd love to know how you reached this conclusion. Besides the whole "synth bass > bass" argument, which is pretty crazy; like saying a programmed drum machine is preferable to a live drum kit.

Peter_20
01-16-2007, 11:37 AM
You can simulate any instrument in the world with a computer, you know. -.-

Also, bass guitar is the coolest instrument ever.

crazybayman
01-16-2007, 03:53 PM
How on earth could you get the exact same sound from a computer, as you could from Flea, or Les Claypool. It can be mimicked, but the original sound would have to be laid down by an instrument.

Basses rule. They're a necessity. Every rock band has one, every symphony orchestra has one or more.

If your into that boom-dee-dee-boom techno crap people try to call music, they I could see how you would think a computer could replace a bass. However for music composed and played by humans weilding actual instruments (which I personally refer to as "real music"), a bass is as necessary as any other instrument.

Peter_20
01-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Fisher, why do you hate bass in the first place? :confused:
Try listening to rock with no bass at all, it's so incredibly... dry.

Roto13
01-16-2007, 04:02 PM
By your logic, nobody should ever play any instrument ever.

NeoCracker
01-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Gorrilaz are an amazing band, but its completely electronic, even the voice of 2-D isn't sung by a real person, however I love that group.

However real instruments do sound better, I think they way you implement it is just as good as the skill put into the playing.

Peter_20
01-16-2007, 04:18 PM
There was some band in Sweden that obviously performed live by using cell-phones once.
That sounds really cool.

forgotten_fantasy
01-16-2007, 04:23 PM
OK.... what would you do if you turned up to a live performance and in the place of where the bass guitarist would be standing there is a small computer playing annoyingly dull base sounds.
So don't be stupid and say playing bass is pointless.

starseeker
01-16-2007, 05:52 PM
How would you perform a sythetic bass live then? Real instruments will always been stuff that's sythesised or mangled by a computer.

boys from the dwarf
01-16-2007, 07:15 PM
rock without bass is a huge no when you come to think about it. bass is more important than it seems and true music appreciators listen to the bass and realize how much it matters.

would black sabbath have became the biggest rock band in the world without Geezer Butler?

take away any vital instrument and the music is suddenly not as good.

blim
01-16-2007, 07:54 PM
proof the bass is cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5fYwiXZeFU

Xander
01-16-2007, 11:03 PM
I love a song with a great bass line :D

NorthernChaosGod
01-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Blah, I will have my own edited messages, thank you very much.

Vincent, Thunder God
01-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Once you get used to hearing a good bass line, songs without any bass, or even synth bass, just don't sound as good. Granted, it takes some good hearing and concentration to gain the full benefits of a bass line, but in the end, once you've heard the masterful bass playing by musicians such as Chris Squire and Roger Waters, a bass' presence will never be fully replaced by synths, and no bass at all, as Peter20 said, makes for a really dry, empty sound.

Maybe it depends on which genre you're listening to. Punk and hard rock, for example, often drown out the bass, and it's presence adds little if you can't hear it. And in some other genres, the bass is actually brought up far too loud, such as in some rap or techno songs. But in a regular classic rock track like I listen to, it can make all the rhythmic difference between a good and bad song.

blim
01-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Maybe it depends on which genre you're listening to. Punk and hard rock, for example, often drown out the bass, and it's presence adds little if you can't hear it.

just to be pedantic a lot of punk is actually bass driven for example new model army, crass, cramps are all bass heavy (esp new model army) the fact that a lot of punk bass players use picks and trebly bass settings may be the cause of your confusion

nik0tine
01-17-2007, 03:12 AM
Punk and hard rock, for example, often drown out the bass, and it's presence adds little if you can't hear it.What? Listen to Bachs 3rd Brandenburgh concerto. You can't really hear the bass most of the time, but it's hands down the most important part of the music.

Although, playing a musical instrument is an overrated skill anyway. It doesn't require any shred of talent to be able to play an instrument well.

blim
01-17-2007, 04:19 AM
Although, playing a musical instrument is an overrated skill anyway. It doesn't require any shred of talent to be able to play an instrument well.

Of course nik0tine, thats why every bass player can if they wish play like Les Claypool, every drummer like Neil Peart, every guitarist like Steve Vai. it takes years of practise, an understanding (and love) of music and a good ear, talent is the product of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI-1sq5dFD4

NorthernChaosGod
01-17-2007, 04:22 AM
It doesn't require any shred of talent to be able to play an instrument well.

O RLY? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg)

While mostly a wank fest, you can honestly tell me that doesn't take talent?

nik0tine
01-17-2007, 04:30 AM
Of course nik0tine, thats why every bass player can if they wish play like Les Claypool, every drummer like Neil Peart, every guitarist like Steve Vai. it takes years of practise, an understanding (and love) of music and a good ear, talent is the product of that.Hard work is the product of that. Anyone with fingers can play bass like Les Claypool. All it takes is time and practice. It's writing music that takes talent.

Yes. I am that egotistical.

blim
01-17-2007, 04:37 AM
No, Nik0tine you are saying hard work is the product of hard work. Performing music well is as much of a skill as writing music, and any decent musician writes as well. Either in composition or improvisation. True given time and practise anyone could potentially copy Les although it would still not be quite the same. Also talent isn't neccessarily natural, it can be learned. Your argument is a bit like saying anyone with legs could play football like Ronaldinho, frankly absurd. And i suspect you know that.

nik0tine
01-17-2007, 04:44 AM
Do you play an instrument? Can you write music? There is a clear distinction between those two skills. Putting virtuoso piano playing on the same level as composing is like taking a :skull::skull::skull::skull: on Mozarts face. Anybody can play Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven, etc. on piano with enough practice. Nobody (and by nobody I mean very, very few) can compose like Mozart no matter how much time and effort they put into music.

Composing requires talent. Playing requires practice. One deserves a whole hell of a lot more respect than the other.

Edit: It's kind of like saying it takes as much skill to read a novel as it does to write one. It's absurd.

blim
01-17-2007, 04:53 AM
Yes and yes. Although it is possible to separarte the two skills they are normally connected, most composers play and most musicians write. You appear to be concentrating on natural talent which is slightly different.

And composition is something that can be learned to a degree by learning about music theory, for example i know that using the key of D minor will help to convey a certain feel and that an imperfect cadence will produce a particular effect etc

Both skills deserve a lot of respect, both can be learned to a certain degree but the best practitioners of both arts have some natural talent that sets them apart from the majority.

btw i guess you write judging from the opinions you hold. i hope the musicians you write for dont know you think they are talentless and worthy of little respect

nik0tine
01-17-2007, 05:19 AM
And composition is something that can be learned to a degree by learning about music theory, for example i know that using the key of D minor will help to convey a certain feel and that an imperfect cadence will produce a particular effect etcAnd with that knowledge creativity is born. When you play an instrument the only thing you can do is reproduce what has already been written. Instruments are a tool for a composer, but instrumentalists who don't or can't compose are far inferior to composers, even if that composers has never touched a musical isntrument in his life.

the best practitioners of both arts have some natural talent that sets them apart from the majority.When you are the 'best' at anything you are always seperated from the majority.

btw i guess you write judging from the opinions you hold. i hope the musicians you write for dont know you think they are talentless and worthy of little respectYes, I do write, but don't worry. No instrumentalists are interested in playing my garbage music. :p

blim
01-17-2007, 05:41 AM
I really cant think offhand (although it is 5:30 am here so thinking isn't a strong point right now, if ever) of any musicians who dont compose (outside of classical music), it is part of being a musician. True, slavishly copying something takes practise rather than talent but it is still a skill worthy of respect.

nik0tine
01-17-2007, 05:50 AM
I really cant think offhand (although it is 5:30 am here so thinking isn't a strong point right now, if ever) of any musicians who dont compose (outside of classical music), it is part of being a musician.I can. They're called cover bands. Or highschoolers. Thats besides the point though, I think. Many musicians do compose and I respect them for that. But I definetly think playing music and writing music needs to be seperated. Today, many people who know nothing about music would argue that someone who composes music on a computer is not a 'talented' musician. Among these people, playing music actually gets more respect than composing, which is asanine.

And although playing virtuoso peices commands respect, it's the hard work that deserves respect and it says nothing about musical talent. I wouldn't call a virtuoso pianist or guitarist a talented musician. I'd say they were a skilled guitar/piano player. I think there is a big difference between the two.

blim
01-17-2007, 06:24 AM
Today, many people who know nothing about music would argue that someone who composes music on a computer is not a 'talented' musician.

And they would be wrong, writing music is a talent whatever tools you use. But i still feel you are being somewhat disparaging about musicians, i'll leave that there though as otherwise we would just be going round in circles.

Hambone
01-18-2007, 05:18 AM
My brother, being a bassist in a band and school orchestra, says the following: Fisher, You're a waste of oxygen.

I must agree. You see, I play cello, which very often plays the melody that the basses have in orchestral music. Without the bass line, a song can sound dry, as mentioned earlier. Would you please think before you write a thread? Thank you, come again.

rih29
01-18-2007, 05:26 AM
I also agree that bass isn't completely useless. However Sid Vicious sucked at bass, and I still love the Sex Pistols.

NorthernChaosGod
01-18-2007, 10:06 AM
I also agree that bass isn't completely useless. However Sid Vicious sucked at bass, and I still love the Sex Pistols.

It's punk, the majority of it is just talentless, full of raw energy playing.

Jack
01-20-2007, 10:10 AM
A band without bass is like a song without low notes plucked on a stringed instrument. It would suck

Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

:)

But nooooo, I do love the bass, and I think Fisher has started this just for reaction. Electronic music isn't the same, but it still deserves its place in the scheme of things.

I Am Stoner
01-20-2007, 12:32 PM
This is my opinion. Rock/funk/metal songs without a bass guitar sound hollow. They do sound good but without the bass there, there is no depth or body to the song, it sounds empty and light. Thats my opinion anyway.