PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a filter for online games?

Peter_20
01-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Yeah, should there be a filter for certain words in online games?
This very forum has a bunch of filters and the like, and I think it'd be a good idea to apply this feature on online games too.
Doing so would perhaps make the online world a tad more civilized.

EXAMPLES:
lol --> I cried aloud with mirth and merriment
n00b --> novice
s*** --> damn

Perhaps we should even go as far as to simply REMOVE all kinds of insulting words; you won't be able to write messages including "idiot", "loser" etc.

Craig
01-16-2007, 02:26 PM
It should be optional.

NeoCracker
01-16-2007, 02:28 PM
It should be optional.

definately. You should also be able to filter out words of your choosing.
Such as whenever Chuck (Has no middle name) Norris you could replace it with that Stupid Cowboy smurfer that to many poeple like.

Bunny
01-16-2007, 02:30 PM
No. Words are not offensive, they are words. Using certain words does not make you an uncivilized person.

Peter_20
01-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Words are not offensive, they are words.With all respect, it's a fact that some words are really improper to use at certain occasions.

For example, yelling interjections like "**** yourself!" is not very nice at all.

NeoCracker
01-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Words are not offensive, they are words.With all respect, it's a fact that some words are really improper to use at certain occasions.

For example, yelling interjections like "**** yourself!" is not very nice at all.

You could instead say "You should leave my presence and insert a foreign object up your own anus." Much more civilized speak that is.

Peter_20
01-16-2007, 02:38 PM

You could instead say "You should leave my presence and insert a foreign object up your own anus." Much more civilized speak that is.That's a tougher one, sure, but removing certain words is not very hard.

Perhaps you could have a group of moderators that ban all the rude players.
Technically, it'd work very much like any Internet forum.

Bunny
01-16-2007, 02:38 PM
If a person yells something along those lines, there is usually one of two reasons:

1. You deserved it. Having done something that they did not like and so they decide to say something like that because it has become typical of our society.
2. If it is sudden and for seemingly no reason, assume that the reason behind it is because they are trying to get a rise out of you. Which pretty much works with the majority of the population.

Again, words aren't offensive. People are just uptight.

Peter_20
01-16-2007, 02:43 PM
If a person yells something along those lines, there is usually one of two reasons:

1. You deserved it. Having done something that they did not like and so they decide to say something like that because it has become typical of our society.
2. If it is sudden and for seemingly no reason, assume that the reason behind it is because they are trying to get a rise out of you. Which pretty much works with the majority of the population.

Again, words aren't offensive. People are just uptight.Perhaps you could have reliable moderators with the ability to ban players?
I mean, you give away the name of the game and the user, and then a moderator can ban that player.

That could work too.

Zante
01-16-2007, 03:15 PM
I find filters are pointless. As if people couldn't guess what **** you was supposed to mean anyways. I fail to see how it is any less offensive that way.

Actually I dislike censorship in general. People should be able to say anything they want. I don't let swearing and strong language bother me in the least.

Frozen Phantom
01-16-2007, 03:17 PM
its a game....I really think that taking out words like idiot and loser is pretty stupid. Many MMORPGs I've played either automatically come with a profanity blocker or you can activate one, and profanity is more important to block than basic insults.

Bunny
01-16-2007, 03:39 PM

Again, words aren't offensive. People are just uptight.Perhaps you could have reliable moderators with the ability to ban players?
I mean, you give away the name of the game and the user, and then a moderator can ban that player.

That could work too.

In theory, yes. In reality? No, it doesn't have a chance.

JKTrix
01-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Filters should exist in most games that would be accessible to young people. While it's true that they probably know what the 'bad words' are, the last thing a kid needs is to have a parent see all kinds of expletives on the screen.

I remember when I first started using IRC years ago, there was one particular server that had 'prison' in its name. My parents saw 'Connecting to irc.prison.whatev' and freaked out. Some parents are hypersensitive to what their kids can access.

Language Filters are in games particularly because of parents and kids.

As far as making things more civilized, I don't know. It wouldn't bother me if every 'lol' I typed transformed into something less l33t. I don't think it's nearly as vital as a foul language filter.

Also, Xbox Live allows you to leave feedback for 'abusive language'. If the offender continues to cause a hassle for other gamers, they can be banned.

Rostum
01-16-2007, 11:03 PM
In FFXI, the default setting is to censore swear words (which can sometimes muck up other words, but not much at all). Though you can turn it off.

I say, if you can't put up with swearing, don't play an MMO.

XxSephirothxX
01-16-2007, 11:08 PM
I always thought the ESRB warning that the game may change with online play was enough. I would agree with developers implementing a filter system that allows the user to filter out words of their choosing, but a system-wide censor is just stupid. Personally, I don't find words offensive--:skull::skull::skull::skull: is not worse than crap or daisy or car. It's a stupid part of society that I disagree with. Words should only be offensive due to the way they're delivered, not simply because they're a certain combination of letters that has, over the years, somehow come to be considered improper.

LunarWeaver
01-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Yeah, they should just let you choose. I think Diablo II turned on a word filter after a while in chat rooms, and the game is rated M. Anyone playing it, legally-ish, is not gonna have a problem dropping a :skull::skull::skull::skull: here or there. But I guess it's nice to have the option. Forcing it on you, though, nah.

Although, on the other hand, I don't need to swear or anything either, so whatever I guess.

Tavrobel
01-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Yeah, they should just let you choose. I think Diablo II turned on a word filter after a while in chat rooms, and the game is rated M.

Although, on the other hand, I don't need to swear or anything either, so whatever I guess.

All non MMO Blizzard games have censorship in chat rooms, and certain public options, such as profiles. You can curse as much as you want in a private chat or games. Either way, on the internet, curse words mean nothing. In fact, all it means is that they are too ignorant or uncivilized to express themselves in an alternative manner. In meaning, at best, they are used as interjections, which are aimed at no one in particular, most of the time.

If they do direct it towards you, there are other, more derrogatory words that are not, yet should be censored. The only reason they [current word censors] are there, is because of a gross lack of knowledge as to the reality of the online gaming world, which is potentially more hurtful and mean-spirited than one would like to believe. Unlike real life, the internet is apparently a free pass to act as big as a jerk you want.

But, come on, it's not like you're going to see these people ever. What's the point of a censor? Most censored words mean absolutely nothing, and if you can't handle the internet, you should be smart enough to stay away. It doesn't change, in any situation; it only gets worse.

If I could count for each time I've heard someone called a Jew or a N*****, or (insert objectification or derision of female body parts here), I'd be paralyzed from the sheer math.

NorthernChaosGod
01-17-2007, 12:33 AM
No, there isn't a filter in real life, there shouldn't be in games.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-17-2007, 12:48 AM
should be optional like the others said