PDA

View Full Version : Just finished and....(spoilers)

Omni-Odin
01-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Totally disappointed. There has never been a Final Fantasy game with that bad of closure. I didn't even know what was going on half the time and the ending just proves that Square Enix cannot make a real good game to save its life.

Like, did anyone even end up together at the end or what? And Penelo even says that Ashe started drifting away from them, too. Which also confirms my belief that she's a total b*tch.

I don't know. I guess after putting in 200 hours of gameplay, I expected to get more out of it.

Please, retort.

ValiantKnight
01-16-2007, 04:06 PM
/shrugs

Vaan and Penelo are together, whether its love or friendship, you can only speculate. Balthier and Fran are together.. see Penelo and Vaan.... Ashe.. well she has a kingdom to run, and you can't be friends with sky pirates as a queen, wouldn't be good for expectations and assumptions in our day and age. Basch, the true knight, put honor over all else and is head judge it seems.

So... .what more did you want? I don't understand what everyone is so upset with about the ending. It left a little bit to speculation and everyone just jumps up and down and gets upset? :)

Guess I just don't fit in with the rest of society when it comes to the ending. I thought it was fine, just didn't give you a 100% guarenteed outcome for everyone. Most notably because it was written with a direct sequel in the works, so they planned the ending to be a little more open.

joshua2412
01-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Totally disappointed. There has never been a Final Fantasy game with that bad of closure. I didn't even know what was going on half the time and the ending just proves that Square Enix cannot make a real good game to save its life.

I agree. I loved the game, the ending was a bit unsatisfying. But, to me it's down to the fact that for years, each final fantasy was its own game, you played it, and it had to have a definitive ending b/c there were no sequels. That's what made the series so unique and cool.

But now, we get as many sequels as they can pump out, so they leave the story open, so that they aren't constricted with the story of a sequel. Therefore, this ending was left open-ended so that they can develop a new story in Revenant Wings.

at least, thats what it would seem like to me. It does make me want to play Revenant Wings to get more closure...so i guess they did their job well.

Dreddz
01-16-2007, 04:28 PM
I liked the ending.

ValiantKnight
01-16-2007, 04:42 PM
A more defininative ending would add closure, yes. It needs some more, definately. But it has enough to not be disappointing in my opinion /shrug.

Ouch!
01-16-2007, 04:53 PM
I enjoyed the ending as well. In fact, even if they weren't making a sequel, I wouldn't be disappointed with how it ended.

Honestly, why does everything need to be tied together neatly. Do you really need everything to come to some perfect closure? Life must sorely disappoint you on a regular basis.

Omni-Odin
01-16-2007, 09:38 PM
It's not my life that I'm worried about. You don't know me.

I just have never played a FF where I was dissatisfied with the ending. It was just abrupt and completely expected at the end of a game with a weak storyline. I'm just glad the gameplay and sidequests were fun because I don't think I could handle this game with only storyline.

Ouch!
01-16-2007, 10:11 PM
It's not my life that I'm worried about. You don't know me.
You obviously took me way too seriously.

Cumulus Cloud
01-17-2007, 03:01 AM
hey i'm new here....yeah...ok then...nehoo...
I'm going to guess that there's going to be an international version of ffxii w/ new cutscenes to make a better story for the game since the storyline suffered and all...possibly new stuff for gameplay....this is just a guess, i might be wrong :)

Wolf Kanno
01-17-2007, 04:07 AM
I actually like the ending, it redeemed the rather lackluster final boss fight, though... anyone else noticed that Vayne's final form looks like Bahamut?

As for definitive FF ending's, I have to disagree with you on this game not tying up neatly, FFVII probably has the worse closure in the series. Though I am rarely satisfied with most endings, especially in the FF series. I think FFXII has my favorite ending in the series, it's more realistic. Everyone just goes their seperate ways.

Lexy
01-17-2007, 11:26 PM
I agree that unsatisfying is the best word to describe the ending. I felt the same way, that I put all this time into this game and then:
1) The final dungeon and battle were ridiculously short and easy
2) The final after-battle ending was very short relative to the other FF's

I think the story came together really well by the end, but after putting 150+ hr into a game, I want what most of the other FF's gave...a long ending that shows all the main characters. I like that it left things very open, but at least give us more footage. And another complaint...the pop songs have got to stop. The dumb song felt so unrelated to anything else in the game.
So, I agree that the ending was not very good. Given that everything else in the game is insanely good, I expected a sweet, epic ending. It was just wierd.

Renmiri
01-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Who wants reality on a Final Fantasy game ? Not me! ;)

Bah! I haven't even gone for the ending yet, first because I usually like to do all the side quests and this game has a million of them. Second because Pharos Tower is huge and boring and I cba to finish it. And third cause everyone says it's lame so what's the rush anyway ?

ValiantKnight
01-18-2007, 01:09 AM
It was quite short, I give you that point...

Moon Rabbits
01-18-2007, 01:52 AM
And another complaint...the pop songs have got to stop.

NO.

edit: oh yeah. I liked the ending, especially the fact that no one ended up staying together or anything. It was believable. But, I was disappointed with the last boss and dungeon on a gameplay level.

Cumulus Cloud
01-18-2007, 01:52 AM

true, it only took a few days for a friend of mine to finish the game..however that's because he completely ignored the sidequests of the game...

Ichimonji
01-18-2007, 03:01 AM
It was just abrupt and completely expected at the end of a game with a weak storyline.

That line makes no sense whatsoever as "abrupt" means 'unexpected'.

Also, not every story can be a love story where everyone happily gets together. With that being said, I will admit that the storyline for FFXII wasn't the greatest and at times it was poorly executed, but there was nothing really wrong with the ending. Although I was a bit disspointed by the lack of an extra scene after the credits.

ValiantKnight
01-18-2007, 03:54 AM

true, it only took a few days for a friend of mine to finish the game..however that's because he completely ignored the sidequests of the game...

I was referring to the ending, unless it changes it based on sidequests :)
The game itself is second only to Tactics for me so far on time invested so far(withdrawing fully 100% completition times in FF games).

The game is plenty long.
The ending is shorter than expected.
Now maybe i'm being more clear :)

Cumulus Cloud
01-18-2007, 04:19 AM
oic...ok then....sorry about that ^_^
I suppose i could say the ending was....satisfactory.

Wolf Kanno
01-18-2007, 05:34 AM
Who wants reality on a Final Fantasy game ? Not me! ;)

Me;)

Especially in an ending. After all the fiction and RPG's I've put up with. Nothing kills a story for me like having every little thing neatly tie up in the ending (I'm looking at you KH2:mad: ) and everyone is happy and wants to go out for a smurfing picnic. That's not how the world works, and I don't believe fiction should always end that way. The lack of closure is good but this whole "they lived happily ever after" bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: needs to stop.

Considering the trauma most of these charcaters had to go through to get to the end, most of them should be popping tranquilizars and seeking psychiatric help. I prefer tragic endings (one of FFX's strengths) and I abhor uber unrealistic Disney endings where everything works out.

joshua2412
01-18-2007, 02:49 PM
It was just abrupt and completely expected at the end of a game with a weak storyline.

That line makes no sense whatsoever as "abrupt" means 'unexpected'.

Abrupt actually has many meanings, including coming to a sudden end, and changing subjects very quickly. Both of which the end of the game did.

I think most people would have like to see a scene where order was restored...or perhaps Ashe's coronation...but maybe that'll be in RW.

Anyways, the ending had its good points and bad points...but definitely the final dungeon/boss fights were weak. Which was dissapointing.

Renmiri
01-18-2007, 04:04 PM
No scene after the credits, no extra scenes for those of us who bother to complete sidequests and / or go for >95% completion...

lame!

edczxcvbnm
01-18-2007, 05:03 PM
I thought the ending was great. What did you people want? Characters to talk endlessly about how it is finally over?

I thought they did a great job and gave closure to everything.

Vann and Penelo are sky pirates. Are they together? I don't know. It wasn't every a point or suggestion in the story. Balthier and Fran survived apparently. Ashe is queen and has obviously drifted away from everyone. Basch kept his promise to guard Larsa and Larsa is King.

What more closure do you want? Do you want them to create new plot points so you can have more closure?

LunarWeaver
01-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Once again, I loved the ending. I didn't find everything about the storyline to be perfect, but I have no problem with the end at all. I had heard it was short, but to me it was pretty damn long.

Hmm, endings where everything isn't perfect are never going to be as widely accepted, though. I've watched movies with endings where all the character split or die or something and all my friends throw a hissy fit over it. I don't mind it because I like variety and every ending shouldn't be full of sugar. Just as I like endings where it wraps up in happily ever after, I also like endings that do not.

Like with Ashe growing apart from the others. I could see it. Why shouldn't she? They weren't together that long. And she was only with them because they happened to fall into her lap while she was about her business. Not to say she doesn't feel some sort of friendship for them, but it's not like they grew up together and were all BFF until she became Queen and she ditched them. They simply have separate lives. It's just like when normal people happen to be caught up in some out of the ordinary event, a big car crash or a robbery or something, they all forge some temporary comradarie but don't usually hang out by the pool together when it's all over. They go back to the lives they were already living.

And all that said, FFXII's ending isn't even traumatic or anything. It ended on a high note. :O_O:

The stuff with Balthier and Fran going back to save them all...The Skyfortress crashing... Rabanastre regaining freedom...and then Penelo's little speech. Seems all nice and epic and wrapped up to me.

skillzboy4
01-18-2007, 05:45 PM
The gameplay of this game was fun, but the storyline was horrible and to me considered the worse of all final fantasies for sure. Totally dissappointed with the ending.

Renmiri
01-18-2007, 05:51 PM
TBH all game endings dissapoint me. I just hate saying goodbye to "friends" I have battled and conquered so many challenges with :D

In that aspect, FFXII short ending might actually be a relief, not having to see Ashe pout or make puppy eyes to Rassler yet again, not having to hear how Baltier thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread and everybody telling Vaan how clueless he is and how Ashe is "royal blood". Ugh!

Ichimonji
01-18-2007, 07:40 PM
not having to hear how Baltier thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread

Balthier is the best thing since sliced bread.

Wolf Kanno
01-18-2007, 10:49 PM
No scene after the credits, no extra scenes for those of us who bother to complete sidequests and / or go for >95% completion...

lame!

Most games don't even do this. And the only RPG that rewards you for major completeness and doing all side quests is FFX-2 which is disqualified cause it's bad. Especially the ending it gives you for completing everything (see my comments above). Though FFXII does reward you within the game (storywise) for completeing the side quests.

And Balthier is the best thing to come out of FF since Vivi;)

Renmiri
01-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Most games aren't named Final Fantasy ;)

FFXII had a name to keep. It did, but barely...

Wolf Kanno
01-20-2007, 07:03 AM
Most games aren't named Final Fantasy ;)

FFXII had a name to keep. It did, but barely...

I think FFXII's world and design alone allowed it to redefine the future of RPGs. It definetly kept up the reputation of the Final Fantasy name. I can't even finish a few of my current RPGs cause the worlds feel bland and two dimensional compared to FFXII. XII built a world worth caring about. ;)

Renmiri
01-20-2007, 05:29 PM
I think FFXII's world and design alone allowed it to redefine the future of RPGs. It definetly kept up the reputation of the Final Fantasy name. I can't even finish a few of my current RPGs cause the worlds feel bland and two dimensional compared to FFXII. XII built a world worth caring about. ;)
On that we can both agree 100% :)

Too bad that world is inhabited by cheesy clichee characters! ;)

N8V_Tidus25
01-20-2007, 06:32 PM
I thought the ending was great

Wolf Kanno
01-20-2007, 09:46 PM
On that we can both agree 100% :)

Too bad that world is inhabited by cheesy clichee characters! ;)

Dear, I haven't played an RPG outside of the MegaTen series in the last eight years that wasn't completely filled with cliches and character stereotypes. Squenix hasn't made an original character since the casts of Xenogears and Vagrant Story in 1998.;)

Renmiri
01-21-2007, 03:00 AM
Dear, I haven't played an RPG outside of the MegaTen series in the last eight years that wasn't completely filled with cliches and character stereotypes. Squenix hasn't made an original character since the casts of Xenogears and Vagrant Story in 1998.;)

Well true. No originals. But not as cheesy!

I just finished XII and....

:eek: I liked the ending :eek:

So the game went up a few notches IMHO

Lynx
01-21-2007, 07:10 PM
i loved the ending. it was rather exciteing. and levaeing any love story up to speculation was perfect. if they would ahve made whateevr 2 characters end up together i would have been upset because throughout the game you dont see anything between anyone. you notice a good friendship between vaan and pannelo. balthier and frans partnership, balthier and ashe's understanding for one another. and bashe and ashe's big brother little sister friendship. the torch being passed from ablthier and fran to ashe and pannelo was perfect. and vaan liveing out his dream.

it was a great ending to me not cliche like so many other games.

Omni-Odin
01-22-2007, 04:27 AM
OK, you know, after the first play through I wasn't happy with the story, but I think thats just because I played like 100 hours of sidequest to get all the best :skull::skull::skull::skull:. I just replayed and I guess its alright, but the story definitely got better on the second playthrough. Still not one of my tops though.