PDA

View Full Version : Would you choose immortality?

Peter_20
01-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Let's pretend we were all able to choose eternal life.
Who would actually choose that?

It'd be cool to see the world get more and more advanced, but probably all mortal life would wane extremely quickly before our eyes.

ljkkjlcm9
01-16-2007, 03:19 PM
I would want it so I could die from getting old, but not from anything physical. As in, I couldn't die in a car crash, but I could die when I get older, just because my body gets older.

THE JACKEL

Jowy
01-16-2007, 03:20 PM
God no. I'd hate to see everyone I've ever loved and cared about, and ever will pass away.

NeoCracker
01-16-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm with JAckal. Imagine the suffering you could induce on those who have wronged you.

Christmas
01-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Thinking of facing NANNY MANUS forever make me cry. :(

Peter_20
01-16-2007, 03:27 PM
God no. I'd hate to see everyone I've ever loved and cared about, and ever will pass away.Yeah, it would indeed suck, although it's an interesting fact that none of us know anytihng about an immortal life.

Perhaps we'll forget everyone we've loved and start loving others in the future, and so on?

Bomber
01-16-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm already guaranteed eternal life, although probably not in the way that most people think...

Bunny
01-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Yes.

Meat Puppet
01-16-2007, 03:54 PM
I would choose an extended life, perhaps, but not an eternal one. I think it would be pretty awesome seeing the people I love and/or care about die. Then I would have more rights to be miserable, and more people would have to put up with my complaining. I really enjoy complaining, because it makes other people miserable. Plus, since I will be living an extra long time, I’d be able to implant my rancor deeper into society than most old folk ever can dream of. Kind of like some demi-god curmudgeon.
 I would then have to find the right time—at the peak of their hated for me, and before they slowly start to tolerate me—to die. Then the people affected would start to see how great the world is, and they will all be propelled into a thick, orgasmic state of euphoria. It would be like this massive self-sacrifice on my part, so a few people can be extremely happy for a couple of days. It would kind of like being a Saint in a tow truck, or something (not too sure of the definition of Saint so I shouldn’t be using that word). This sounds pretty good. I can’t wait. Where do I sign up, Peter_20?

Peter_20
01-16-2007, 04:03 PM
I would choose an extended life, perhaps, but not an eternal one. I think it would be pretty awesome seeing the people I love and/or care about die. Then I would have more rights to be miserable, and more people would have to put up with my complaining. I really enjoy complaining, because it makes other people miserable. Plus, since I will be living an extra long time, I’d be able to implant my rancor deeper into society than most old folk ever can dream of. Kind of like some demi-god curmudgeon.
 I would then have to find the right time—at the peak of their hated for me, and before they slowly start to tolerate me—to die. Then the people affected would start to see how great the world is, and they will all be propelled into a thick, orgasmic state of euphoria. It would be like this massive self-sacrifice on my part, so a few people can be extremely happy for a couple of days. It would kind of like being a Saint in a tow truck, or something (not too sure of the definition of Saint so I shouldn’t be using that word). This sounds pretty good. I can’t wait. Where do I sign up, Peter_20?Please don't use sarcasm, because it's so damn hard to tell whether or not it actually is sarcasm.

ljkkjlcm9
01-16-2007, 04:06 PM
 I would then have to find the right time—at the peak of their hated for me, and before they slowly start to tolerate me—to die. Then the people affected would start to see how great the world is, and they will all be propelled into a thick, orgasmic state of euphoria. It would be like this massive self-sacrifice on my part, so a few people can be extremely happy for a couple of days. It would kind of like being a Saint in a tow truck, or something (not too sure of the definition of Saint so I shouldn’t be using that word). This sounds pretty good. I can’t wait. Where do I sign up, Peter_20?Please don't use sarcasm, because it's so damn hard to tell whether or not it actually is sarcasm.
no no, that's pretty much Meat Puppet being himself

THE JACKEL

Drift
01-16-2007, 04:14 PM
if my body aged then no

Peter_20
01-16-2007, 04:28 PM
if my body aged then noYou wouldn't age physically, but mentally. :)

How would a human actually look at 200 years? *shudders*

ljkkjlcm9
01-16-2007, 04:29 PM
if my body aged then noYou wouldn't age physically, but mentally. :)

How would a human actually look at 200 years? *shudders*

well that means I could get alzheimer's and not even remember anything, and not even know I was immortal, which would really suck

and they lived to be over 200 in the bible, so if you believe it, eh.

THE JACKEL

Owen Macwere
01-16-2007, 04:33 PM
One happy life is enough. It'll feel longer than forever. :)

Riana
01-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Oh dear Lord no.

I haven't found something to live for. Or my purpose. So no.

I suppose people with both would consider having an eternal life.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Nah, I prefer how it is. Life is meant to meet an end.

Heero Yuy NWZC
01-16-2007, 05:03 PM
I would want it so I could die from getting old, but not from anything physical. As in, I couldn't die in a car crash, but I could die when I get older, just because my body gets older.

THE JACKAL

I'd have to go with this. Immortal life as in able to live forever would be nothing but sadness and misery. Seeing every friend you make die while you continue to live on, eveyr love you stay with grows old while you stay as you are, it's actually kind of scary once you think about it. But invincibility to injury, like what Jackal mentioned, sounds like a good idea, I'd take that.

Old Manus
01-16-2007, 05:08 PM
lol god mode

NINJA_Ryu
01-16-2007, 06:41 PM
I would embrace it.

Sure, everyone would die that i lved and cared about, and it would be teh suxxor for a few hundred years. But then, monotony can seep in, and I could somewhat view the perspective of what an eternal deity must felt.

Captain Maxx Power
01-16-2007, 07:13 PM
There can be only one!

LunarWeaver
01-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Yessir :monocle:

Ender
01-16-2007, 07:36 PM
I would never choose infinite-immortality, but I would love to extend my life if I could be invincible and stay in my twenties over that period. I am optimisitc and proud about the capacity of humans to "evolve" philosophically, scientifically, and technologically, and I also have a concern for the welfare of humanity and our place in the universe.

So in addition to a temporary immortality giving me the opportunity to do every activity I want to do or see everywhere I want to see before I die, I'd also like to see our species colonize other planet(s) and eventually other star systems, solve the problems of living in harmony with our environment, and work together to address the violence and other problems that have plagued humanity. IOW, I'd like to die, but not until knowing that in the great equation of existence humanity was a positive value.

Necronopticous
01-16-2007, 07:41 PM
I can think of nothing greater.

Vikeve
01-16-2007, 07:58 PM
One happy life is enough. It'll feel longer than forever. :)

aww.... I agree!:kaohappy2

blim
01-16-2007, 07:58 PM
i would, i'd be awesome on bass in 2,000 years and i might see Brentford get into the premiership eventually :)

escobert
01-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes, I would.

Essęncia
01-16-2007, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't like to live forever, no one should be eternal.
If you live your life once, correctly and happy thats enaugh, you dont need a second one.

Only good and special things happen once

Ki Ki
01-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Only if all my friends and family don't all perish before my very eyes!!! :kaocry:
Do you understand??

Rinion
01-16-2007, 10:45 PM
I have chosen imortality.

But if I was eternally bound to the earth, I would not care so much. People die. People come, and go. It's the way of life. I might weep for a while, but if I did, it would be with joy.

hplvr
01-16-2007, 10:48 PM
i wouldnt do it.... i woudlt want to be alone in the world when all my family/ friends die

Little Blue
01-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Yup, but only if I could willingly turn back to a mortal at some point to continue aging normally. Dunno why I want that clause though :confused:

Evastio
01-16-2007, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't want to live forever.

If I did everything that would be worth living for (family and friends) would eventually die. I know I could make more friends but eventually they'll die as well. I wouldn't want to experience the death of so many loved ones.

CimminyCricket
01-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Hells yeah I'd choose immortality...Video games are only going to get better!...I hope...

NorthernChaosGod
01-16-2007, 11:19 PM
If I could be immortal, I would set forth my plan to be the most evil dictator the world has ever, or will ever, see.

I would rule the world with an iron fist and not give a damn about anyone but myself and my own satisfaction.

LoveArya
01-16-2007, 11:23 PM
umm.....NO! not ever ever ever ever ever.......ever

Yuffie514
01-17-2007, 08:26 AM
i would rather have longevity than have immortality.

Jojee
01-17-2007, 09:23 AM
I would choose immortality if at any time I wanted to quit, I could just shoot myself and die or something. x3

And not if I grow increasingly old and wrinkly all through the years. XD

Kanshisha
01-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Hmm no for me... i will be too old by the time i see my great great great great great great great great great great great grand son or daughter...
And it will be misery and agony to see my relatives, family and friends die...

Bunny
01-17-2007, 12:15 PM
i wouldnt do it.... i woudlt want to be alone in the world when all my family/ friends die

It stands to reason that you will continue to make friends throughout your immortal life. Family, on the other hand, would be difficult. Unless they can keep a secret.

Madame Adequate
01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
if my body aged then no

So... you wouldn't want to be immortal, if the ONE THING which immortality promises wasn't part of the deal?

... *Facepalm*

Yes. Absolutely and without hesitation.

But as I've so often said in these kinds of thread, it's a silly question. When immortality arrives, it's going to be through technology, not some magic lantern. You won't have to watch friends and family die because... they can live for as long as they like as well.

Iceglow
01-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Now the good point is we're talking Immortality like in the Highlander movies which would mean we could be shot or something but not die? we'd recover fully in instants see this could be interesting as put simply I do not believe Humanity will ever achieve a peaceful future and someone who was to live forever would undoubtedly at some point be drafted/forced to fight (especially if they appeared to be a young adult) or would find something to choose to fight for. In doing so they would be the perfect soldier in a sense able to storm through a million bullets to go cap an enemy general and yet not die in the process could they be physically destroyed? Immortality would dictate no. Still an interesting idea.

In a micro-byte yeah I'd choose to be immortal there is so much to see and learn it would take an eternity to know everything.

No.78
01-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Yes, living forever would mean an eternity of every changing stuff. You'd learn so much and experience so much, and you'd neverdie.
Iguesswhentheworldends(fuckmy space bar stopped working) umm, then itwould sucka bit. But eternity is eternity! I wouldn't turn it down.