PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to go to class. I wont.

Shlup
01-17-2007, 12:54 AM
I can't stand the thought of going to my night class today. I already had to get up at 5:15am to go teach kindergarten, then had one class this afternoon that bored me to tears.

I refuse to go to my night class. Nope, not going.

Of course, this isn't new for me. I skip my classes often. Always have. In high school I didn't care for my grades either, but I keep a strong B average in college.

How do you feel about skipping class? Are you an auditory learner? Do you go because you feel it's the responsible thing to do, or actually to learn? Do you prefer to skip class and learn on your own?

When I do go I typically play PSP or DS.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-17-2007, 12:58 AM
I skip classes but my roommate kinda gives me that "look" when I tell her I do. In high school, I rarely missed school, but now I do. I hate walking in late to small classes.

As for learning, I am auditory and visual, but more the former. It is kinda scary at times how much I remember what someone tells me. Not word for word of course, but still.

I missed basically the last half of my biology class last semester and managed a B. I missed the last third of chemistry, studied out of the book (only time I used it) and managed a B+. For other classes though I prefer to go, especially when they are interesting.

EDIT: Monday, I had twenty minutes left of class when I arrived, so I skipped it (second time in a row for that class) and donated blood instead. It was my way of balancing it out.

Mikztsu
01-17-2007, 12:58 AM
Sometimes I got a bad conscious, but most of the time I justified skipping classes for self well enough to not feel bad. And I was right every time. ;)

rubah
01-17-2007, 01:17 AM
I always go to class :(

XxSephirothxX
01-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Senior year of high school I skipped as many days as I was allowed to miss, simply because my classes were so easy I really wasn't missing anything.

First semester of college (last semester) I only mainly skipped one class, because it was at 9 am and the teacher posted his lecture notes online, making it pretty unnecessary to really go. I often feel guilty about skipping class, but sometimes there's just no point in going.

Unfortunately, some classes take attendance, and I don't want to lose points off my final grade simply for being too lazy to show up. So a lot of times I take my computer to the more boring classes and download stuff or browse the net while taking notes.

escobert
01-17-2007, 01:26 AM
I use to skip to go get drunk and fish. I'm strange for learning, I just absorb things. but it has to be something I use everyday or something I want to know or it it just goes.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-17-2007, 01:27 AM

rih29
01-17-2007, 01:28 AM
I wish you could get away with skipping classes in Junior High.

Yamaneko
01-17-2007, 01:30 AM
It's scary how similar Shlup and I are in this regard. I have a 6-10 class right now after work that I don't feel like going, but I already skipped last week and since this is only a once a week class I figure I should at least show my face at least once every two weeks. I think since I have to go to class you should too.

I've been skipping classes since middle school. Nothing new, except now it's all on me. Last quarter for one of my Latin American history classes I ended up missing more than half of all the classes (10+ class sessions) and still got an "A". :cool:

Shlup
01-17-2007, 01:31 AM
I went to this class last week! The teacher doesn't seem like the type that'd let me get away with playing DS either.

I need a laptop.

kikimm
01-17-2007, 01:37 AM
I've never skipped class in my life! It's not worth the trouble at this point. I don't really want to upset my parents like that. Plus, I have always cared about learning the stuff. For the most part. There have been many, many times where I've wanted to skip math class.

But I don't have anywhere else to go anyways. Don't have a car. And my Mormor is home all day so she'd know if I didn't go. My friends don't skip either.

Woohoo.

Yamaneko
01-17-2007, 01:38 AM
I went to this class last week! The teacher doesn't seem like the type that'd let me get away with playing DS either.
I only play my DS if it's in a lecture hall.

Shlup
01-17-2007, 01:39 AM
None of my classes are in lecture halls anymore. :(

Yamaneko
01-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Sit behind the fat guy.

Shlup
01-17-2007, 01:41 AM
I try to sit behind this one chick that's as big as at least four people, but she usually sit's in the back since she requires two desks.

ARGH! I'm getting a laptop like now.

Xaven
01-17-2007, 01:42 AM
I don't believe I've ever skipped class.

However, I do have a free 7th period so I often accompany people who are ditching their 7th to go out to lunch or something.

If I actually started writing my essays for English, I'd have a 4.0 GPA. :|

Shlup
01-17-2007, 01:44 AM
I think I had like a 1.7 GPA when I failed high school. Had to fix that in summer school, of course.

So that explains that.

Miriel
01-17-2007, 01:45 AM
I skipped class tons when I was in high school. And a lot of my classes my first two years of college were those huge lecture hall classes with 200 people, so I was very easily tempted to skip out on those classes.

But most of my classes now are classes of 20-40 people and attendence is a good chunk of the grade.

Plus, the tuition went up this year, and each class is about $4,000. So skipping out on even one class would be like throwing away roughly $130. And that's not really cool.

So yeah, I want to skip classes all the time. Hell, I wanted to skip class TODAY. But I fight that urge a lot harder these days than I used to.

Psychotic
01-17-2007, 01:46 AM
I skipped a hell of a lot last year, but this year I haven't done that as much, although I still skipped a fair bit. I only went to one lecture and no classes for one of my modules, and I still passed it. Some of the lecturers practically copy it word-for-word from the textbook, and I really can't be bothered to wake up at 7 AM to catch a train in arctic conditions for that. But if the lecturer is good, I'll do my best to attend.

Shlup
01-17-2007, 02:02 AM
I just remembered this is the class that you only get two absences in before the teacher fails you. And I wasted one. Damn me.

fire_of_avalon
01-17-2007, 02:48 AM
Beat BJ up and send him to the hospital and voila excused absence.

I never skipped in high school, but I skip now. A lot. Too much. Megan, go to class!

Dr Unne
01-17-2007, 02:55 AM
In high school I often tried to get my parents to let me stay home. Sometimes worked. At school I'd often try to get the teachers to let me go to the library instead of stay in class. Sometimes worked. But high school was a waste of time in general.

I skipped many classes in college. There were classes I where skipped every single one except the test and the classes required to figure out when the test was. There was no class I didn't skip at least once. Even classes with so-called mandatory attendance. Closest I came to not skipping a class was my Bible history classes. Even then I skipped one or two.

I don't recommend doing this. I ended up not getting grades as high as I could've gotten in college, for no good reason.

rih29
01-17-2007, 02:57 AM
Beat BJ up and send him to the hospital and voila excused absence.
At first I thought you were saying "Get BJ to beat the teacher up and voila excused absence."

But then I re-read it.

Evastio
01-17-2007, 02:59 AM
It's strange how most of the "authority figures" of EoFF skip school a lot. :confused:

Shlup
01-17-2007, 03:01 AM
We're excellent role models.

theundeadhero
01-17-2007, 04:26 AM
In high school I used to skip a lot. Probably the most my sophomore year, but the second semester my senior year I didn't even need any credits. Skip away!

My first semester of college I would usually make my first class, which was History, but I often went home instead of going to art. The teacher made it miserable. Sometimes I wouldn't make it up in the morning for History, so I wouldn't even consider going in for art.

This last semester we always had a break halfway through Philosophy, and many times I decided not to go back.

Yuffie514
01-17-2007, 04:30 AM
i skip every once in a while, but not enough to want to fail the course.

Levian
01-17-2007, 04:57 AM
Some of the lecturers practically copy it word-for-word from the textbook, and I really can't be bothered to wake up at 7 AM to catch a train in arctic conditions for that.

Yeah, I had a lecturer like that last semester, and ended up skipping a lot of his classes. He read pretty much directly up from a powerpoint presentation which he also put up on the internet, so 'yknow. :p Still got a B in that subject.

There's this lecturer who has really long hair, and he's male. He often gets very worked up when he's lecturing, so the hair is like all over the place and it distracts me! Cut your hair, you hippie. He also pronounces both S and R funny. So I guess sometimes I skip 'em. :shifty:

I'm gonna try not to cut a single class this semester, and I must really mean that 'cause it's 6 AM and I don't lie at 6 AM. :mog:

Christmas
01-17-2007, 04:59 AM
Some of the lecturers practically copy it word-for-word from the textbook, and I really can't be bothered to wake up at 7 AM to catch a train in arctic conditions for that.

Yeah, I had a lecturer like that last semester, and ended up skipping a lot of his classes. He read pretty much directly up from a powerpoint presentation which he also put up on the internet, so 'yknow. :p Still got a B in that subject.

There's this lecturer who has really long hair, and he's male. He often gets very worked up when he's lecturing, so the hair is like all over the place and it distracts me! Cut your hair, you hippie. He also pronounces both S and R funny.

I'm gonna try not to cut a single class this semester, and I must really mean that 'cause it's 6 AM and I don't lie at 6 AM. :mog:

I WILL NEVER SKIP CLASS IF MY LECTURER IS LEVIAN OR PAUL! :bigsmile:

Martyr
01-17-2007, 05:50 AM
I played hookie in elementary school once with a kid who thought he was tough because he got kicked in the nuts and still swung, winning the fight. We snuck away from the teacher during recess nd hid in the playground. It was a thrill to dodge the hall monitors and sneak around behind the principal, who we saw ambling obliviously down the walkway, his big bald head...

But, finally, some chick caught us in the trees and snitched us out. Her name was Melanie.

~*~Celes~*~
01-17-2007, 06:07 AM

Me too :(

As far as learning goes, I learn best with visuals for most of my classes, but for French II, I learn best audio. If my teacher speaks the entire class period in French, it works my brain more and I learn better. However, I have to see the work in Algebra II to know how to get from step A to step B because I'm bad at algebra :(

Yamaneko
01-17-2007, 06:17 AM
It's strange how most of the "authority figures" of EoFF skip school a lot. :confused:
Do as I say not as I do.

Kirobaito
01-17-2007, 07:04 AM
I rarely skipped in high school. A lot more in Senior Year than I did in any other.

Now, uh... we're required to go to at least 75% of classes to pass, so I kinda have to go. And most of my classes give attendance bonuses. I actually lost out on an A last semester for sleeping in class and thus losing an attendance bonus.

I do skip occasionally, though. Once I get done with my chapel requirements I don't go anymore. This semester, though, all of my classes but one are two days a week, so I think I might be missing too much to skip. The one that's three days a week is a Great Texts course with pop quizzes and participation grades, so I can't exactly skip.

Jojee
01-17-2007, 09:29 AM
I honestly skip ~2/3 of my classes every semester. On average that is, I'll go to most of my classes for a certain class, and skip every class except the first week for other classes... ^^ Just depends on how it's structured and stuff, you pretty much know if you could skip and just read the book the day before the test from the syllabus and a lesson.

Little Blue
01-17-2007, 09:58 AM
I've never skipped meaningful classes, especially not now at uni. I really don't want to pay £3,000 for lectures I'm not going to attend... The only classes I ever skipped were PE classes in school, but no one cared.

Rye
01-17-2007, 11:32 AM
I've never skipped class in my life! It's not worth the trouble at this point. I don't really want to upset my parents like that. Plus, I have always cared about learning the stuff. For the most part. There have been many, many times where I've wanted to skip math class.

But I don't have anywhere else to go anyways. Don't have a car. And my Mormor is home all day so she'd know if I didn't go. My friends don't skip either.

Woohoo.

Pretty much exactly the same for me. xD My school is very strict with attendance. However, I get to go home about an hour and a half/two and a half hours next year because seniors get open end if they completed all their other credits. Plus, all my classes next year are advanced or AP, pretty much. ;_;

Cz
01-17-2007, 12:08 PM
I've probably skipped only about a dozen or so classes in my life, usually because that I was having a horrible day and just couldn't face another lesson. I always caught up on the work, and got the best grades I was capable of getting, so I don't feel bad about it in the slightest. In fact, I'll probably skip more classes in the future, if anything. :D

Kanshisha
01-17-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm used to going to my day by day classes... i can't change my routine...My body is just used to it..

Breine
01-17-2007, 02:26 PM
The amount of skipping I do from school varies quite a bit.

In High School (Gymnasium) in Denmark you're allowed to skip up to 10% of your total classes. If you go over that you'll get warnings, and after I think 3 of those you're facing expulsion. As of now my "skip-level" is at 7.50% or something like that... so, right now I'm working on getting it down so that I can skip again some time in the future :)

Bunny
01-17-2007, 02:28 PM
I think I skipped one class back in fourth grade. For the most part, I just slept in classes. The majority of my teachers and the adults around me labeled me as a "lost cause" any way.

Roto13
01-17-2007, 02:37 PM
I live pretty far from my campus so if I'm there, I'm there for the day. If I only have, like, one class I'll stay home. Last Thursday was the first time in my life I ever stayed home because I just couldn't face it, though.

Just because I'm there, that doesn't mean I'm actually paying attention. I read most of the Sandman comic books on my laptop during Human Resource Management or Marketing class.

Anaisa
01-17-2007, 02:45 PM
At high school I'd be asked to leave the class anyway for: "Being disruptive". I was happy to leave, an go an amuse myself elsewhere. They weren't teaching anything I didn't already know, didn't want or need to know, or would have no trouble educating myself in anyway. An I always did well in tests so it didn't matter. An I thoroughly enjoyed how much that spited people. I left school to be home educated at either 13 or 14, so I skipped a lot of school! An I've missed about nine weeks of college so far. But it doesn't matter, because they spend that much time messing around, I can catch up. An I've saved a lot of money not going.

Craig
01-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Well when you're in secondary school in Britain you skip a lesson and you'll just get caught. I used to skip lessons the first couple of years there when I was a little "rebel" but then I stopped. But then I just started sleeping through them anyway so it didn't make much difference.

During the 2 years I spent in college, I missed 1 day. And it was a day I didn't really need to miss, I was on my way home on the bus from an all night party and it was like, 8:55 am when the bus went past my college and I had to be in at 9, but I just stayed on it.

But other than that I went in every day because I enjoyed it so much, even then I'd just sit there, relax and talk to friends though.

I'm suprised I managed to get through School and College with all the time I wasted.

Pike
01-17-2007, 03:35 PM
I'll skip class (when not sick or anything) on occasion. Usually I have a fairly valid reason: I failed to get any sleep the night before, or it's -30 degrees and a snowstorm outside, or I have a huge test I have to study for that's more important than another class... XD That sort of thing. I have been known, though, to simply skip class because I didn't feel like going, too. But that's not as often.

A will admit that a year back I had this 8am class that I rarely went to. It just didn't seem to be worth the effort. But other than that I'm pretty good about attendance (in general).

Old Manus
01-17-2007, 04:04 PM
I want to grow up to be just like Shlup

Apart from the whole woman thing, obviously.

EDIT: Then again

YTDN
01-17-2007, 04:04 PM
I go to this music school on saturdays mornings, and regurlarly skip the choir because we have to sing really dumb songs.

I've pretended to be ill a few times to get off normal school, but I haven't actually skived off any lessons.

Zeldy
01-17-2007, 04:15 PM
My school is very strict on attendance. I don't even think of skipping lesson, as if your attendance dips lower than 90% you get contacted at home and Id be screwed. Also, If your caught you get put on report. (basically, a report is that your being watched and monitored. Every teacher you have has to write something about you to be signed by head of year staff & parents)

Jess
01-17-2007, 05:21 PM
I've been to 2 of my classes in the past week. I have 12 a week. I was ill for 2 days, though. :jess:

Iceglow
01-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Up untill the end of High school I never missed a class unless I was ill but in College I cut classes left right and centre and for 2 years I managed to do ok (but then I was studying ICT and Japanese, the ICT was not hard at all but the Japanese I could pick up easily from a girl who I spoke to in clubs and pubs who was japanese) The third year I was cutting classes due to being very messed up in the head and it was crazy I couldn't keep up and in the end had to drop out of the college before the threw me out. (I had 5 minutes to decide on it literally) I was studying Law, English lang and lit combined and Sociology. A pity because I loved the english and sociology lessons my sociology tutor was great.

Given the choice to go back I wouldn't have cut any classes at all ever I'd have taken every class even if cutting that class would have meant meeting a girl or something.

escobert
01-17-2007, 07:50 PM

There's this lecturer who has really long hair, and he's male. He often gets very worked up when he's lecturing, so the hair is like all over the place and it distracts me! Cut your hair, you hippie. He also pronounces both S and R funny. So I guess sometimes I skip 'em. :shifty:

Lucky you! I had a 3 missed days rule or whatever, you could only miss 3 days or you would failed. Bert auto failed a lot.

nik0tine
01-21-2007, 02:01 AM
I skip at least once per week. Last week was the first week of school after break. It was a 4 day week. I showed up to school once.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
01-21-2007, 02:14 AM
I never skip classes. Ever. I missed one tutorial last year because I had the flu and about a total of 5 minutes of lecturing last year due to poor timekeeping

Moon Rabbits
01-21-2007, 04:24 AM
I skip pretty often. It depends on my workload, if I absolutely must go to class to work on something, I will. However, if I have nothing to do in the class, or have nothing that isn't due anytime soon, I usually can be found in the library, caf, or forest smoking up near my school.

EDIT: To give you a clearer picture, here are the abscences on my last report card~

History - Ten abscences
Latin - Nine abscences
Lunch~
Math - Twenty abscences
English - Twenty-nine abscences.

My English teacher didn't know who I was for awhile.