PDA

View Full Version : Why was the word "die" censored in this game?

Peter_20
01-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Why did the developers censor the word "die" in FF6?
I mean, there are much worse words, and this particular word isn't that horrible at all.
It's MUCH cooler to hear AtmaWeapon say "feeble creatures, DIE!" instead of "feeble creatures, GO!". -.-

Mirage
01-17-2007, 01:50 PM
I think it was more a "come on you can't beat me anyway" thing.

Jowy
01-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Nintendo of America was pretty nuts about their censorship back in the 90's.

ReloadPsi
01-17-2007, 02:29 PM
[!]Because Nintendo used to be a bunch of faggots.[/!]*snip*

Watch your language. Derogatory terms are not acceptable. ~ Leeza

Crossblades
01-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Back in the day, Nintendo was strict about their censorship

Strider
01-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Idunno, I always kinda like "GO!" It made it seem like he was challenging you or something.

MJN SEIFER
01-17-2007, 06:49 PM
The worst "No Death" edit award must definatly go to:

Celes jumping off the cliff for "something to do".

(It was suposed to be suicidal)

Peter_20
01-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Idunno, I always kinda like "GO!" It made it seem like he was challenging you or something.I think "DIE!" sounds cooler; "GO!" is alright, but it's too weak for me. :cool:

blackmage_nuke
01-17-2007, 10:00 PM
It's there to protect all the innocent young children who still thought their pet fish "ran away"
I prefer "GO" but that suicide thing just confused me because I though "perked them right up" was a metaphor for killing themselves.

-

vorpal blade
01-18-2007, 09:26 AM
It should be noted that some censorship is a good thing; without it we wouldn't have "Son of a submariner!"

Still, I'm pro "die."

ReloadPsi
01-18-2007, 09:12 PM

My apologies.
Okay, lemme rephrase. Look at Super Mario Sunshine, form an opinion on Nintendo based upon it, and work it out for yourself.

Zeromus_X
01-18-2007, 11:20 PM
When I was little, I always thought he was trying to scare us away. And I guess he does look pretty scary, but unfortunately he couldn't back up his claims.

Roto13
01-19-2007, 12:17 AM

My apologies.
Okay, lemme rephrase. Look at Super Mario Sunshine, form an opinion on Nintendo based upon it, and work it out for yourself.

They used to censor way too much, yeah. But by the time Mario Sunshine appeared, they had already dropped their censorship rules to match those of the rest of the gaming world. It's silly to base an opinion of such a big company off one game anyway.

Brandon Stroud
01-19-2007, 04:52 AM
Why was "die" censored? This was back before games like Killer Instinct, Eternal Darkness: Santiy's Requiem and the almighty CONKER... Back when Nintendo was lauded as "family- friendly."

Heh... Shows what THEY know. ;)

vorpal blade
01-19-2007, 05:08 AM
It's actually amazing the difference in censorship between FFVI and FFVII.

robfinalfantasy
01-20-2007, 02:38 AM
It's actually amazing the difference in censorship between FFVI and FFVII.I remember the first time I read the word "poop" while playing FVII. Classic :cool:

cloud21zidane16
01-20-2007, 11:01 PM
It's actually amazing the difference in censorship between FFVI and FFVII.I remember the first time I read the word "poop" while playing FVII. Classic :cool:

:p

Clord
01-21-2007, 10:21 AM
The worst "No Death" edit award must definatly go to:

Celes jumping off the cliff for "something to do".

(It was suposed to be suicidal)

First time when I nearly finished Final Fantasy VI I already used better translation with game. It was really scene where she tried to suicide because she thinks that situation is hopeless.

Peter_20
01-21-2007, 06:25 PM
It's actually amazing the difference in censorship between FFVI and FFVII.I remember the first time I read the word "poop" while playing FVII. Classic :cool:"Poo, uh, I mean, hurry, sir..."? :p

Laughing Out Loud.

feioncastor
01-21-2007, 09:55 PM
I wasn't aware that Atma Weapon said "Die" rather than "Go", and knowing it now doesn't change much about the game for me. I still think it's awesome, and the music during the Atma Weapon fight is super cool.

Does this mean that Sigfried actually said "Die! Guys!"?

Ryushikaze
01-23-2007, 05:47 AM
To be frank, most of the censors don't bother me. What bothered me was crap like name changes for no good reason.

Roto13
01-23-2007, 04:51 PM
There were reasons. Most of them were because of space limitations. Tina was changed to Terra because the name Tina wouldn't have the same effect with an English speaking audience. It was supposed to sound kind of strange and mythical. Tina sounds like a stripper.

And Mash is just a stupid name. :P

Christmas
01-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Why wasn't the naked purple lady censored instead? :(

Bunny
01-23-2007, 06:15 PM

I just want to point out the hilarity of this post, especially inside a thread about censorship. Leeza, you do great work. Keep it up!

I can't even remember the whole "Go!" thing. I guess I should play the game again.

Zeromus_X
01-23-2007, 11:37 PM
To be frank, most of the censors don't bother me. What bothered me was crap like name changes for no good reason.

Pretty much. Though, I can understand some of them. Tina (cultural differences), Stragus and Cayenne (space restrictions), etc.

Dr. Casey
01-31-2007, 02:07 AM
It's actually amazing the difference in censorship between FFVI and FFVII.

"Foolish creatures, GO!" vs. "Damn it! God damn it! God damn it all to Hell!"

Amazing, indeed.

Acid Raine
01-31-2007, 06:05 AM
The "Go!" always seemed like some stupid Pokemon thing.

Little Blue
01-31-2007, 08:06 AM
If I hadn't read all of this thread, I would've just coughed it up to mistranslation :p