PDA

View Full Version : Videogames are dangerous?!?(urgent)

CStrife
01-17-2007, 01:25 PM
I have a challenge for you all: do you think that videogames may influence people`s behavior in society?? What´s your opinion on the subject?
Do you feel angry when your parents make you stop playing because you have to do your homework or something like that??
If you´re angry:mad2: (or even if you´re not) please answer this thread!!!

Giga Guess
01-17-2007, 01:29 PM
That's kind of an unfair question...would a kid get cranky because he was told to get off his PS2 to do his homework? Of course. Would he be cranky if he got told to get right back home from playing at his friends house? Stop playing street hockey? Any number of a myriad of fun things a kid would enjoy doing? Of course. Kids like to have fun. The average kid would prefer to have fun than to, say, in your example, do homework.

Just my 2 cents.

Raebus
01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
You might be onto something, I was wondering why I was going around looking for a camoflauge suit to enter a building and save the president from a group of sick twisted individuals with power to read minds and be beyond obese.

You've reminded me of more and more moments in my life when games affected me! The time I kepting stepping right and left and doing an X and O movement with my body to gain higher tier weapons or body armor to perform a drive by with my pixellated homies. I can't forget the time I pressed my shoulders to switch weapons as someone in a hoody walked past and offered drugs and I had to press left or right to say something positive or negative.

Edit: Don't take this post seriously. I don't think it affects people and you're being unfair in using that example, everyone would get angry if their parents took them away from something like that, televison perhaps.

ljkkjlcm9
01-17-2007, 01:46 PM
kids get angry if their parents tell them to do anything, so your point is definitely invalid. I find video games tend to be more of an outlet for violence, allowing you to blow people up, light zombies on fire, etc. without causing any actual harm.

THE JACKEL

Christmas
01-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Ya, dun do your homework and play more video games, they make you 1337 and wins teh internetz. :bigsmile:

Riana
01-17-2007, 02:11 PM
My parents are fine with me playing videogames. They know I spent a fortune over the years of collecting them.

They're just strict on my little sister who's starting secondary school this September. But I'll always allow her time on it during the weekends and holidays. ^_^

Another reason they can't say anything to me is because the degree I hope to study is about making videogames! XD I'm not sure about the criteria yet, but they're pretty cool with me buying new games and consoles. :D

I totally agree with the whole 'influential' issues. Look at games like Grand Theft Auto, Def Jam Vendetta, I forget the name of this other one. Emergency or something like that. But that involved loads of violence.
More street crime occurred since those games were released. That was the case in my town. It's like people who play them think it's ok to do them. Which surprises me, cuz games like that are rated for at least 18 year olds. You'd think they're mature enough to know what's right and wrong.

But some parents buy these games for their underage kids which is how they have access to them. I have a 13 year old cousin who's always playing such games and gets into so much trouble at school and when he goes out. His Dad is oblivious to the fact that he's being influenced by those games.

I'm not saying that's always the case. Some are easily influenced, some aren't.

I believe such a subject of violent games occurred on the news some time ago.

Rosenti
01-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Are you refering to all ages? Cause your topic name is " Are Videogames Dangerous?" not that you dislike getting told to do your homework.

I hate German! AAAH! lol :D

theundeadhero
01-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Video games do not affect your ability to decide whether an action is right or wrong.

Mikztsu
01-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Although sure the people who get influenced by such things do exist...they are just a very small minority, thank god.

Some people are extremely impressionable, no matter how stupid it sounds. However, I imagine in those cases there are lots of other deeper problems so video games shouldn't be blamed alone.

Old Manus
01-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Just how urgent is this thread, exactly? Do our lives hang in the balance?

Little Blue
01-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Yes, our lives really are in the balance. Our fate will be decided within minutes. You see, there are some kids across the street from all of us who've just been forced to stop playing some Pokemon game and now are now using this thread to judge if they should go on a massacre while ignoring their parents orders to do homework.

WE NEED TO TELL THEM TO PUT THOSE BALLS DOWN!!!

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, PUT THEM DOWN!!!

THEY HONESTLY DON'T HAVE ANY PIKACHU'S IN THEM!!!

Masamunemaster
01-17-2007, 05:04 PM
I hate when they say that video games cause violence; I think that they help us subside our anger.

LunarWeaver
01-17-2007, 05:09 PM
When I was 17, video games sent me into a rampage and I mugged and murdered like it was my GTA-style job. But it's fine now, because I've become an adult and games only affect your mind when you're under 18. The second you become of legal age, they no longer have any bad influence over you and the politicians no longer care about you. There goes my big excuse for everything, I tell ya.

Giga Guess
01-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Although sure the people who get influenced by such things do exist...they are just a very small minority, thank god.

Some people are extremely impressionable, no matter how stupid it sounds. However, I imagine in those cases there are lots of other deeper problems so video games shouldn't be blamed alone.

Well, you don't see the headlines "Child plays Video Games; Grows Up to be a Well Adjusted Adult."

You hear about the screwballs, not the normal people.

Psychotic
01-17-2007, 10:13 PM
At a rough guess, I've probably terminated anywhere between 200,000 and 500,000 or so digitised lifeforms throughout my gameplaying career with little, if any, remorse. I've played games from the GTA series since I was 11. I am now 19.

Here are my IRL stats:
People killed: 0.
Cars stolen: 0.
Muggings committed: 0.
Rapes committed: 0.
Amount of people who I have assaulted to the point of them needing medical treatment: 0.
Amount of prostitutes hired: 0. (Yeah yeah, I know you all find that hard to believe. Now I've commented on it, please spare me your terribly witty remarks about it.)
Amount of hit-and-runs: 0.
Amount of times arrested: 0.
Amount of times I've gone on a gun crazy rampage, and the army had to be called to put me down, so I blew up their trucks but not their tanks because those damn things need flamethrowers or molotovs to destroy, and I've always been a rocket launcher and remotely denotated explosives fan myself: 0.
Amount of library fines due to late returns: 0.

Video games made me do it.

Finally, I would like to end on the following note: In GTA you can do heinous and disgusting things like being a paramedic or a firefighter. Our children should not be subjected to such depraved acts! For great justice, ban this space invader filth.

Tavrobel
01-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Good Lord, Psychotic, you're a terrible, horrible person! It's filth like you that we can't have a fully moral, functional, Christian society, in which everyone does the right thing and fears God! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

Miriel
01-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Everything we do, every book we read, every movie we watch, every game we play has SOME sort of influence on us. That can't be helped.

But studies have shown that violent video games do NOT produce violent people. There may be a tendency for violent people to be attracted to violent games, but playing violent video games does not result in aggressive behaivor in the player.

blim
01-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Its just tabloid bull, one minute its music (ozzy, judas priest etc) then its films (childs play) then its games. If i remember right the sociologists call it "moral panic" its a standard tool to sell papers.

Martyr
01-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Ya, dun do your homework and play more video games, they make you 1337 and wins teh internetz. :bigsmile:

QFT?

Xaven
01-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Obviously, we need to ban punching bags. As you can plainly see by watching the people using them, they do nothing but promote and instill violence into us. Or something like that.

No, I don't get mad when my parents tell me to stop playing video games and do my homework. Well, you know because that never happens.

Kanshisha
01-17-2007, 11:01 PM
At a rough guess, I've probably terminated anywhere between 200,000 and 500,000 or so digitised lifeforms throughout my gameplaying career with little, if any, remorse. I've played games from the GTA series since I was 11. I am now 19.

Here are my IRL stats:
People killed: 0.
Cars stolen: 0.
Muggings committed: 0.
Rapes committed: 0.
Amount of people who I have assaulted to the point of them needing medical treatment: 0.
Amount of prostitutes hired: 0. (Yeah yeah, I know you all find that hard to believe. Now I've commented on it, please spare me your terribly witty remarks about it.)
Amount of hit-and-runs: 0.
Amount of times arrested: 0.
Amount of times I've gone on a gun crazy rampage, and the army had to be called to put me down, so I blew up their trucks but not their tanks because those damn things need flamethrowers or molotovs to destroy, and I've always been a rocket launcher and remotely denotated explosives fan myself: 0.
Amount of library fines due to late returns: 0.

Video games made me do it.

Finally, I would like to end on the following note: In GTA you can do heinous and disgusting things like being a paramedic or a firefighter. Our children should not be subjected to such depraved acts! For great justice, ban this space invader filth.Lol so you keep count?
hmm...its like me saying that i've broken my personal high score of 1 rape a day...pretty odd and yes i would be pissed if my parents told me to get of the ps2...

Gullick
01-17-2007, 11:06 PM
I always thought that video games were a release, we dont go around blowing up cars and beating people up because we can do it virtually. However, there was a man who didn't cause harm to others but to himself due to a Video Game. i forget his name but he played Guild Wars i think, for such a long period of time that he died of exhaustion. So only in EXTREME cases, are video games violently influential, otherwise i think they help prevent those kinda things.

Also, condiering like, gang and street violence, doesn't it make sense that its the people who are out one street and not playing video games that are causing the trouble?

-Gull-

Dr Aum
01-17-2007, 11:11 PM
I hate when they say that video games cause violence; I think that they help us subside our anger.

From what I've heard, this is very true. I recently saw an article linking violent video game playing to less violent tendencies, but I'll have to do a bit of scrounging around on Our Beloved Series of Tubes to find it again.

Chemical
01-18-2007, 12:41 AM
@_@ They're dangerous to my academic standings.

Madame Adequate
01-18-2007, 12:50 AM
I cannot recall being hurt by a videogame.

Consoles on the other hand... man, X-boxes are heavy.

Giga Guess
01-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Everything we do, every book we read, every movie we watch, every game we play has SOME sort of influence on us. That can't be helped.

But studies have shown that violent video games do NOT produce violent people. There may be a tendency for violent people to be attracted to violent games, but playing violent video games does not result in aggressive behaivor in the player.

Yes, I still love the Jack Thompson funded report that showed a definite link between violent images, and violent people. Not that he mentions the fact that violent people seek out violent images, he just kinda left it as a vague comment to let his boogy man grow.

Bunny
01-18-2007, 01:40 PM

QFT?

QFT.

Quindiana Jones
01-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Videogames are dangerous. It's a fact. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. Once, I was playing this game and I kept losing, so I busted my hand beating the crap out of the CD.

That didn't happen.

Laddy
01-18-2007, 09:40 PM
I don't see how playing The Sims will make me want to speak Simlish and aspire for Knowledge, it will just get me entertained.

Loony BoB
01-19-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm still waiting for the day where I piss someone off so they go home and get their cat (or other pet) and say "[pet name], I choose you! [type of attack]!" and then stand there with a really weird pose as if the wind was blowing really fast in their direction, and then later wonder why their pet didn't ravage me with it's awesome [type of attack].

No.78
01-19-2007, 10:30 AM
They only influence idiots lol

Quindiana Jones
01-19-2007, 04:01 PM
They only influence idiots lol

Bingo.

Pokemon made me violent. Whenever people annoy me, I pick up things like pens or pieces of paper, and say "PEN ATTACK!" and throw it at them.

XxSephirothxX
01-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Videogames certainly don't create violent tendencies, but they certainly may give some violent people ideas on how to carry out their murderous rampage, which means it's probably a good idea to keep games like Manhunt away from easily-influenced people. :p

Quindiana Jones
01-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Videogames certainly don't create violent tendencies, but they certainly may give some violent people ideas on how to carry out their murderous rampage, which means it's probably a good idea to keep games like Manhunt away from easily-influenced people. :p

Or murderers.

CStrife
01-25-2007, 11:33 AM
I said it was urgent because i am doing a study on the subject and i wanted to see what FF fans thought about it.