PDA

View Full Version : So is to be 20 below zero

Savern Volaco
01-17-2007, 05:51 PM
I hate the cold snap where I am living is getting worse, Every day it keeps on getting colder and colder so i go stack wood with out a shirt to prove I am insane...or stupid but that is another story. but I do it to train my lungs and get them stronger along with my bodies morphing to the cold to where it dosn't bother me as much.

ljkkjlcm9
01-17-2007, 05:58 PM
must be global warming

THE JACKEL

Iceglow
01-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Everyone goes on about global warming but really the iceage wasn't all that long ago on the astronomical sense of time who said it isn't just part of the world recovering from the last ice age (on the main part not all of it obviously I know CFCs and Greenhouse gases do harm the environment) It just seems odd that the northern hemisphere (which btw was the most frozen out of the two in the last ice age) is heating up so much faster and so much more than the southern hemisphere.

I don't mind if England gets a little hotter in the summer it's the whole we get Tornadoes and Hurricane like storms now that worries me this country is totally unprepared for that crap.

Flying Mullet
01-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Yes, we're recovering/heating up from an ice age. But in the last 30 years we've significantly sped up the "thawing" of the globe with global warming issues. We've added a lot of catalysts which are causing the globe to warm at a much faster rate than if nature took its course.

hplvr
01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
well here in canada, it didnt snow for christmas, i think that was the first time.... now its f***ing freezing, and i dont wanna shovel :(

Iceglow
01-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Hmm maybe I seem to be a little stupid here but I heard that the worlds biggest offending Green house gas is infact Water Vapour which is over 50% naturally produced but I don't know as the validity of this point.

Still we're screwing up the environment which is bad personally I just think it is despicable that the automobile industry won't start mass producing Fuel Cell Cars (which if you've heard of them you'll know convert Hydrogen in to water and electric so totally clean energy since the hydrogen is generally produced through hydro-electric powerstations) Just because it will cost a lot to change the factories to make them.

Mirage
01-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Your post seems to be contradicting itself :p.

You say the world biggest offending greenhouse gas is water vapour. Then you say fuel cell cars which mainly exhaust water (vaporized) will help the environment. Wouldn't that instead cause an increased greenhouse effect?

Me? I'm all for electric cars, and getting the electricity needed from nuclear (fission) power plants, and later on (when commercially available), nuclear fusion power plants :].

Iceglow
01-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Well the Fuel Cell Cars I have seen do not emit water vapour but rather a trail of water. I saw them on a TV show (5th gear or Top Gear one of the two) and the guy driving around didn't have a steam stream behind him but the car did leave a puddle when he sat with the engine idling. Though yeah fusion/fission would be better but the risk of radiation leaking in a crash is something to look at.

Rye
01-17-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm so used to the 50-60 F weather in New York, that I'm seriously dying now that it's 18 F/ -7 C here.

ljkkjlcm9
01-17-2007, 07:49 PM
you know I was completely joking about the global warming thing.... sheesh people

THE JACKEL

Mirage
01-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Well the Fuel Cell Cars I have seen do not emit water vapour but rather a trail of water. I saw them on a TV show (5th gear or Top Gear one of the two) and the guy driving around didn't have a steam stream behind him but the car did leave a puddle when he sat with the engine idling. Though yeah fusion/fission would be better but the risk of radiation leaking in a crash is something to look at.
Uh, the reactors wouldn't be in the cars themselves, and even if, that's much further off into the future.

Electricity from nuclear power plants would just be used to recharge them, just like today. Just with far better batteries.

Yew-Yevon
01-17-2007, 08:36 PM
DUDE! my ideal temp is -15c or -25c. I live in alberta in the rockies and -6c to me is sweltering!

Flying Mullet
01-17-2007, 08:38 PM
I just think it is despicable that the automobile industry won't start mass producing Fuel Cell Cars ... Just because it will cost a lot to change the factories to make them.
They won't put any effort into any alternative fuel vehicle as long as they're bedfellows with the oil industry.

ljkkjlcm9
01-17-2007, 08:56 PM
no people, the correct answer is they won't make changes as long as they make money. It has nothing to do with being "bed-fellows" with the oil industry. They're making good money, and in business, there is no reason to change what you're doing if you're making tons of money.

THE JACKEL

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
01-17-2007, 09:03 PM
It's like 15 degrees here. But I still want my snow. :(

Dreddz
01-17-2007, 09:08 PM
I don't mind if England gets a little hotter in the summer it's the whole we get Tornadoes and Hurricane like storms now that worries me this country is totally unprepared for that crap.

I didnt think England was in threat of any Tornado or Hurricane anytime soon, at least any really dangerous ones. Other than the one offs, such as the Tornadoe in north-west london at the end of last year. Your right though, England is in no way prepared for any Tornado and hurricane, anyone remember the 1987 hurricane.....

Anyway, its just cold in England now, nothing unusual.

Renmiri
01-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Fuel Cells need don't produce energy, they just store it, like a more efficient battery. Something needs to give the energy to them to start with. Oil, coal, nuclear, animal, hydro, solar or wind power needs to be used to fuel the infamous "fuel cells"...

I think going to alternatives (from Oil) for cars is getting pretty inevitable now, so even the greedy are looking into it. Hopefuly there is still time to avoid a major crisis, like the one predicted below:

It's worth taking a moment to think about how events might unfold if the process occurs without intelligent management, driven simply by oil and gas depletion.

Facing high fuel prices, family farms would declare bankruptcy in record numbers.
Older farmers (the majority, in other words) would probably choose simply to
retire, whether they could afford to or not. However, giant corporate farms
would also confront rising costs - which they would pass along to consumers by
way of dramatically higher food prices.

Yields would begin to decline - in fits and starts - as weather anomalies and
water shortages affected one crop after another.

Meanwhile, people in the cities would also feel the effects of skyrocketing
energy prices. Entire industries would falter, precipitating a general economic
collapse. Massive unemployment...

Many people would leave cities looking for places to live where they could grow
some food. Yet they might find all of the available land already owned by banks
or the government. Without experience of farming, even those who succeeded in
gaining access to acreage would fail to produce much food and would ruin large
tracts of land in the process.

Eventually these problems would sort themselves out; people and social systems
would adapt - but probably not before an immense human and environmental tragedy
had ensued.
http://auto_sol.tao.ca/node/view/2416

Xaven
01-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Hmm maybe I seem to be a little stupid here but I heard that the worlds biggest offending Green house gas is infact Water Vapour which is over 50% naturally produced but I don't know as the validity of this point.
No, from what I learned in science class, carbon dioxide is the most effective of the common greenhouse gasses and water vapor does relatively little.

Well the Fuel Cell Cars I have seen do not emit water vapour but rather a trail of water.
Hey, guess what happens to water when it eVAPORates. Big deal if you have to wait 5 minutes for a puddle to dry up. xD

The cold-spell in California is pretty refreshing. It was 32F degrees (0C) this morning on my way to school. I don't believe I'ver ever witnessed it that low aside from night-time a week ago. Pretty crazy. I almost miss the 110F (43.3C) degree summer. :|

Christmas
01-18-2007, 12:38 AM
You need to coo coo cooz~~~~ to WARM yourself up! :bigsmile:

escobert
01-18-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm so used to the 50-60 F weather in New York, that I'm seriously dying now that it's 18 F/ -7 C here.

seriously. It sucks. I mean it's supposed to be this cold here this time of the year but going from last week where is was 50's to this week where it's in the low double digets to high single is hard.

Bunny
01-18-2007, 01:17 AM
I like the cold. It's so nice.

Mo-Nercy
01-18-2007, 02:22 AM
Down in Melbourne it's about 40C (100+F). It's not so bad up here right now but it does tend to be worse in Sydney. We're due in for the annual heatwave any day now.

Our winters are nice and warm though at 15C-20C (60-70F)

Giga Guess
01-18-2007, 01:22 PM
DUDE! my ideal temp is -15c or -25c. I live in alberta in the rockies and -6c to me is sweltering!

Ditto...but I still like to complain. :p