PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy I and II is coming to the PSP to celebrate the series' 20th Anniversary

Crossblades
01-17-2007, 07:46 PM
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q1-2007/011707a.html

Final Fantasy is celebrating its 20th birthday this year, so Square Enix is releasing a special anniversary edition of the first two games for the PSP. They will feature the updates found in GBA release, known as Final Fantasy 1 & 2: Dawn of Souls in North America. The new PSP versions will also feature a 16:9 aspect ratio, sharper graphics, improved music, and new CG movies.

So far, both games only have the vague 2007 release window and no price has been set. No official announcements have been made regarding a North American release, but considering the series' popularity, it is almost certain to hop the pond.

Propaganda
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff1-2dos/propaganda/ff1-2dospropaganda011707-1.html

ljkkjlcm9
01-17-2007, 07:51 PM
I guess already having the games available on the NES, playstation, GBA, and wonderswan wasn't enough coverage...
next they'll be virtual console games on the Wii

THE JACKEL

Elpizo
01-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Damn, you beat me to it! Not sure about this. This actually feels cheap, Square Enix. I mean common, we've having this almost-exactly-the-same version 4 times already. The PSP has horsepower. Do something with it! Follow the example of FF III and give us these classics in 3D or something. Not just a DoS rerelease with again just some minor touch-ups...

Honestly, who wouldn't like a Pandaemonium in 3D? Or a Chaos battle with some 3D visuals?

boys from the dwarf
01-17-2007, 08:01 PM
graphics dont make a good game of course, but they really improve things. i'd love to see how some games would work in 3D.

this seems awesome but im not sure if i'll get it. i'm not buying a PSP just to play a game i've already played.

Dreddz
01-18-2007, 12:02 AM
This is a waste.

Necronopticous
01-18-2007, 12:06 AM
I'd really rather play on my GBA micro, but we'll see.

Aemilius Blight
01-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Jesus Christ, another port of FFI and II? I'm so sick of Square's bull-crap it's not funny.

Flying Mullet
01-18-2007, 12:23 AM
This is a waste.

Frozen Phantom
01-18-2007, 12:29 AM
a 3d remake of like 4-6 would kick ass....(more leaning towards 4 since I haven't played 5 and 6) but I agree this is a waste of time, money, and patence....

Martyr
01-18-2007, 12:31 AM
I don't get it.

All the peop[le who want to play FF1 and 2 (well, not 2, but the issue is kinda the same. They probably could have done with 2 what they did with 3) are people who played it on the nes, not people who played 4 and beyond.

What we want is a way to play the old 8-bit game without having to buy a new Nintendo on ebay every few months because the machine is a piece of junk that breaks all the time.

But instead of giving these few old fashioned fans what they want, Square is remodeling the game with SNES-like graphics and releasing versions that are vaguely similar but more completely different than identical to what the demand wants.

More bizarre still is that they make them with graphics like snes. If you're going to go all the way back to 16 bit, geez, just do 8-bit and make the nostalgia fans happy. When you revamp it, give it graphics and power like FF7 or 12.

What happened is ridiculous. I thought that the move was a simple one, to upgrade the graphics and give the new fans a chance to play it without hating it, but the repetition of the same thing makes me believe that they just want to shove their crap down our throats for cheap and ignore what anybody says about it, going about their business making 13 and 14 and 15 etc... It's getting pretty boring, I'd say. I just want to play FF1 (nes) with a controller and not a keyboard.

I have a feeling that, at the rate they're going, they may be coming close to their FINAL FANTASY.

ljkkjlcm9
01-18-2007, 12:58 AM
I don't think they are, considering they still make enough money off of them. Seriously, they wouldn't do it if they didn't make money off of it.

I don't know what martyr is saying because I've only owned one NES, the one I've always had since I was about 2... it wasn't mine then but still, and it works fine. I mean I have to wiggle the game to align it and stuff, but it still works. And I can still play my FFI no problem on it.

Actually when I told my parents that the Wii was capable of playing NES and SNES games, they got excited, thinking the old cartridges plugged into it. I found it funny because most people out there nowadays don't have the carts. I said this, and they just thought they should make them again. Sigh... it's a business like everything else. If they truly believed something will make them money, they'll do it, if not, they don't.

THE JACKEL

NINJA_Ryu
01-18-2007, 01:23 AM
I guess already having the games available on the NES, playstation, GBA, and wonderswan wasn't enough coverage...
next they'll be virtual console games on the Wii

THE JACKAL

Dont forget, Xbox still needs an FF game ^^

Bunny
01-18-2007, 01:39 AM
Jesus Christ, another port of FFI and II? I'm so sick of Square's bull-crap it's not funny.

Then don't buy them. And learn that money means loads in this world. Square is making a good move.

Aemilius Blight
01-18-2007, 02:20 AM
I have no problem with companies making money of quality products. I have a problem with companies that load off inferior products to make a few quick bucks, when they could have easily out their time into more worthwhile projects.

ljkkjlcm9
01-18-2007, 03:03 AM
I have no problem with companies making money of quality products. I have a problem with companies that load off inferior products to make a few quick bucks, when they could have easily out their time into more worthwhile projects.

except it's really not a few quick bucks, it's a lot of quick bucks. This however I don't have as much faith in as many people already have emulators on their PSP. Actually plenty of people have emulators on their DS now, but not nearly as many as PSP.

THE JACKEL

Martyr
01-18-2007, 03:11 AM
Actually when I told my parents that the Wii was capable of playing NES and SNES games, they got excited, thinking the old cartridges plugged into it. I found it funny because most people out there nowadays don't have the carts. I said this, and they just thought they should make them again. Sigh... it's a business like everything else. If they truly believed something will make them money, they'll do it, if not, they don't.

THE JACKAL

Wait, what?

Are you saying that I can get 8-bit Final Fantasy on Wii?

Because my 3 NESs have all pretty much busted completely, for whatever reason. Yours must be a super version.

Or are you saying that I can get Origins on PS?

Aemilius Blight
01-18-2007, 03:29 AM
You can download NES games for the Wii.

Whether Square will make FF games available is debatable though, since they can make far more money off them by porting them forever.

Bunny
01-18-2007, 04:28 AM

Strangely enough, a massive company like Square-Enix has enough people to work on multiple projects at the same time. It is an amazing thing, actually. I don't really know how it works, but it does!

ljkkjlcm9
01-18-2007, 04:32 AM

THE JACKAL

Wait, what?

Are you saying that I can get 8-bit Final Fantasy on Wii?

Because my 3 NESs have all pretty much busted completely, for whatever reason. Yours must be a super version.

Or are you saying that I can get Origins on PS?
no, you took that completely out of context.... but I wouldn't be surprised if eventually FFI was released for the virtual console

THE JACKEL

Aemilius Blight
01-18-2007, 04:57 AM
Strangely enough, a massive company like Square-Enix has enough people to work on multiple projects at the same time. It is an amazing thing, actually. I don't really know how it works, but it does!
And every person that's working on some half-assed port could still be working on something worth-while instead?

ljkkjlcm9
01-18-2007, 05:06 AM
And every person that's working on some half-assed port could still be working on something worth-while instead?
not worthwhile to you, but maybe it is to someone who owns a PSP

THE JACKEL

Aemilius Blight
01-18-2007, 05:13 AM
You mean, owns a PSP and somehow missed the last 4 releases of these games, 3 of which look almost identical if those screenshots are anything to go off.

ljkkjlcm9
01-18-2007, 06:33 AM
You mean, owns a PSP and somehow missed the last 4 releases of these games, 3 of which look almost identical if those screenshots are anything to go off.

Well, a lot of people with PSP don't have a DS/GBA, therefore, they get it portable now. I mean, I had the NES version of FFI, and no other, and got DoS just to have one portable.

THE JACKEL

lufia
01-18-2007, 07:01 AM
no one buy this, total bull crap. this is the psp ffs...what a joke

Aemilius Blight
01-18-2007, 07:02 AM
My point is that Square is releasing a PSP version of the game that, from this brief promotional material, seems practically identically to its previous incarnations. If I was a PSP owner, I would be pretty pissed about this release since:

1. The DS just got a full 3D remake of FFIII and has no less than three other original FF titles coming soon and

2. The PSP now has the capability to emulate PSX games. Paying the cost to download Origins would cost significantly less than that of a 'new' game (especially since FFI and II are being released seperately).

3. I can emulate it anyway by using the new homebrew PSX emulator (which, jftr, is about the greatest PSP news ever) and not have to pay a cent.

This is course is based on what little we know about this game so far. If it turns out Square has actually put a decent amount of effort into this version that can make up for not doing anything graphically despite the PSP being able to render graphics that almost rival the PS2, then I'll gladly retract any and all negative statements I've made thus far.

And no, a 1000000 floor optional dungeon is not what I have in mind.

lufia
01-18-2007, 07:08 AM
we've seen the screenshots from the op. its just another very old port. ultimate, cheap lazy captilizing from square-enix.

Laddy
01-18-2007, 12:55 PM
I'd play it has three things:

-New bosses, clases, and actual gender chose.
-Better graphics.
-Better dialogue, improved to an epic scale.

Flying Mullet
01-18-2007, 01:00 PM
I could justify the PSOne release because a lot of people hadn't played FFII before, and it was overhauled with new graphics, music and such.

I could justify the GBA release because now the game was portable. It also had the new dungeons, but that wasn't as important to me.

That being said, I can't justify this new release to myself as it doesn't add anything that wasn't already there.

The black mage
01-18-2007, 01:30 PM
There are only 2 ways i would buy/ play these versions is if:
1There was a hard mode i.e. Eniamys had more HP and things cost more.
2 updated grafics and when you completed the game got the orriginal unlocked.

Squre-enix should take time on this and bring these to us in a new way insted of a DOS port/uptate
P.S i can get GBA/SNES/NES emulaters for the psp anyway so they should take there time :fencing: :shoot:

tidus_rox
01-20-2007, 05:56 AM
In the situation that I am in... this is the best news I have heard all hour!!!

Elpizo
01-21-2007, 09:34 AM
http://gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=7418

Nice graphics.
I was too hasty in my judgement... They do improve these games a bit.
But still... Well, some of the replies there are true. Square should listen to the fans a bit instead of milking FF I and II again and again. How many people asked for a CT or FF VI (in 3D) release? Many. I haven't heard many people say they wanted a FF I and II PSP release.

Well, it's still good news for people without GBA/DS/Playstation/NES but with PSP that weren't able to play these games up until now...

Zeromus_X
01-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Oh man, those screenshots do look tasty.

Man, all SE wanted to do was celebrate the series' twentieth anniversary, and people are still complaining. xD

vampirepiggyhunter7
01-21-2007, 09:56 AM
An idea-
The PSP probably could fit it, but,
make the 8-bit versions unlockable?

Necronopticous
01-21-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm officially excited.

Elpizo
01-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Now that I look at the screens, some of the graphcis remind me a bit of RPGMaker XP, heh, probably me. Still nice graphics though.

I'm wondering about the music. Do you guys think they'll put the Origins' music in these two or new remixes? Origins' music rocked, IMHO.

If I'll get a PSP for FFT, maybe I should pick one of these up... Hmm, we'll see, we'll see... It's just so irritating that it wasn't too long ago since DoS appeared. Square-Enix should have started way sooner with the Advance ports, I think people wouldn't make such a drama of these ports then like some are doing now.

I would die if they announce FF III, IV, V and VI for PSP as well. That would be overkill. Especially if they'll make the graphics tastier like in these games. XD What would be the point of the Advance games then?

EDIT: The official site of these two games seems to have been opened.
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff20th/

No.78
01-21-2007, 11:33 AM
What?! I havent finished the GBA version yet... But um yeah, I'm totally getting this.

Captain Maxx Power
01-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Fickle, fickle, fickle. You hear the game is coming to a new platform and complain your asses off. Then you see that they've added a new set of character animations and backdrops and all of a sudden you're rabidly foaming at the mouth. Honestly.

Also this:

Along with completely redone graphics, each game will feature additions that were included in other prior Final Fantasy I and II remakes on the Game Boy Advance, Playstation, and Wonderswan.

Basically means that FF1 will be the super-easy noobfest that was the GBA version.

Aemilius Blight
01-21-2007, 12:32 PM
some of the graphcis remind me a bit of RPGMaker XP, heh, probably me
No, there is definitely an RMXP feel to it, probably due to the transparent text windows.

Honestly, while these graphics are significant improvement on the DoS version, they're nothing special. They are pretty much on the same level as many 2D cRPGs from the PSX era. Doesn't look like the enemy sprites have been animated either, which is a pretty annoying (although not really unexpected, since no other 2D FF game ever bothered with that besides FFTA). It's also probably worth noting that the FMV image isn't anything new; it's the opening from Origins.

Honestly, the updated graphics is the bare minimum of what I would expect from a remake. SquareEnix is going to have to do better than that to prove that this re-release is worth anyone's time and money.

EDIT: Also, have I pointed out how BS it is that FFI and II are being released separately? There is no way in hell that either of those games could possible fill more than half a UMD by itself, unless they plan on packing both games full of FMVs. And let's face it, there will be an opening/ending cutscene max.

Elpizo
01-21-2007, 12:53 PM
some of the graphcis remind me a bit of RPGMaker XP, heh, probably me
No, there is definitely an RMXP feel to it, probably due to the transparent text windows.

Honestly, while these graphics are significant improvement on the DoS version, they're nothing special. They are pretty much on the same level as many 2D cRPGs from the PSX era. Doesn't look like the enemy sprites have been animated either, which is a pretty annoying (although not really unexpected, since no other 2D FF game ever bothered with that besides FFTA). It's also probably worth noting that the FMV image isn't anything new; it's the opening from Origins.

Honestly, the updated graphics is the bare minimum of what I would expect from a remake. SquareEnix is going to have to do better than that to prove that this re-release is worth anyone's time and money.
I think so, too. While I admit that the games look nice and I would play them if I got the chance, I wouldn't buy a PSP for it. There's no new stuff in these two at all.

But then again, what new things could have been added? More bonus dungeons? Some more on Soul of Rebirth? I think Square Enix is just running out of ideas for new stuff in these two games. It's logical for these games to be on the 20th anniversary, true. But a more special treatment would have been nice, also true. Who knows? Maybe for the 30th/40th anniversary of FF?

No, so far I think FFT is the only FF-reason a fan might consider buying a PSP for (and I do consider this). And maybe Crisis Core for the peopel who like the look of it. Ones who have a PSP already might pick these games up quicker.

Oh, Maxx Power, the idea that I'm foaming at the mouth is not really nice. I complained that Square Enix (judging from the first unclear scans, thinking it were just DoS graphics again) was just porting them again by mixing all FF I and II versions into one and re-releasing it with little to no effort put in it at all. That's why I said I was a bit to hasty in my judgement, they do renew these games a bit. But I'm far from head over heels for them. *Pats DoS cartridge* It's just nice that they are getting a facelift. And if I do buy a PSP for FFT, then yeah, maybe one of them to see if they really are better than DoS, but that's it. They are no must buys at all for me, and I don't go from "Ugh, not again" to "OMG New graphics these are so frigging awesomey I must have them yay yay yay! These are so cool!!!" I also didn't complain about the rerelease of these two, just about the lack of effort put in them (judging from those first 2 unclear scans, now with these clearer shots, I was proven wrong, that's all.) I dunno about other Complainers who suddenly go foaming at the mouth, but if you stick around a bit, maybe they'll tell you why they 'suddenly' 'change' opinion.

Captain Maxx Power
01-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Internet typeface sucks for irony.

Necronopticous
01-21-2007, 07:31 PM
I really hope the load times do not kill the small appeal that these remakes have going for them.

KoShiatar
01-21-2007, 09:08 PM
The graphics are eye candy, but they're milking it way too much. I'm not gonna buy a PSP just for those, especially with my brand new DS in hand which has a so much more exciting library so far. The only thing that really gets me excited is the new Amano art.

DarkLadyNyara
01-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Ooh... I'm getting them. :D I'm gonna start whoring for my next birthday. ;)

No.78
01-22-2007, 11:37 AM
The graphics are eye candy, but they're milking it way too much. I'm not gonna buy a PSP just for those, especially with my brand new DS in hand which has a so much more exciting library so far. The only thing that really gets me excited is the new Amano art.

{Where?} {Can I have it?}

KasaiDraco
01-28-2007, 03:37 AM
Well, a lot of people with PSP don't have a DS/GBA, therefore, they get it portable now. I mean, I had the NES version of FFI, and no other, and got DoS just to have one portable.

I don't have a GBA, but I do have a GBA emulator and I played those games by downloading them.

The black mage
02-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Squre-enix should take time on this and bring these to us in a new way insted of a DOS port/uptate
After seeing the new grafics i'll eat my words the're tasty but still not enougth to make me want to buy them, But if i see them cheep i'll think about it. w'll have to keep an eye on this
Ps; is it just me or if Firon whearing a cape now

Crossblades
02-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Squre-enix should take time on this and bring these to us in a new way insted of a DOS port/uptateQUOTE]
After seeing the new grafics i'll eat my words the're tasty but still not enougth to make me want to buy them, But if i see them cheep i'll think about it. w'll have to keep an eye on this
Ps; is it just me or if Firon whearing a cape now

The FF II sprites now look like the Amano artwork