PDA

View Full Version : To skip or not to skip (cutscenes)

Erdrick Holmes
01-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Do you rewatch long cutscenes in a game dispite the fact you know exaclty what happens in them?

Sometimes I usually play the game once, watch all the cutscenes the game has all the way, then when I replay it I skip them and go straight to the gameplay since I know everything that happens beforehand.

I've actually compaired skipping cutscenes to jars of cookies. Here's how:

In my insomniac state I just thought of something. You know how some video games have long cutscenes and :skull::skull::skull::skull: to explain the game's epic storyline? Notice how in some of these games you can skip cutscenes and go straight to the next part of the game? Some people think I'm insane when I tell them that when I play Metal Gear I occasionally skip the cutscnes because I've seen them before and I know what happens and I wanna just continue the actual gameplay. Well lets compair this to jars of cookies, shall we?

Games: Lets play a game for the first time, we watch the cutscenes so we know what happens in the story, like why the good guy is fighting the badguy, what the badguy is actually DOING to rule the world, why the good guy is the only one that can defeat the bad guy. Play through the game and watched every cutscene from begining to end. I get it now! Time for a replay. Meh, seen this cutscene, I know exactly what happens. I'm gonna skip every cutscene, I know exactly what happens. Bada bing bada boom

Cookies: Gee I'm hungry, lets go scan the kitchen for some food. There's five jars on the counter, the middle one has a sticker with the word 'cookies' written on it. Maybe it contains cookies. Lets open to see, yup there's cookies in here, I'll eat a few. Munch munch. Those were good cookies, I might come back when I feel hungry again. Next day arrives, I'm hungry again, lets see if there's any food here, oh wait, no need to look, I remember where the cookies are. Hmm, all the jars have been trned around and I can't see the lables, good thing I remembered that the middle jar contains cookies, so I'll go straight to the middle jar and grab me some of those delicious cookies and save me the hassle of looking for some food all over again. Man, those are some good assed cookies. Good thing I remembered which jar has them in case I get hungry again.

See, this is the crap I think of when I'm hungry, can't fall asleep, and all I can think about is "I'm gonna eat some cookies while I play Dragon Quest VII".

Frozen Phantom
01-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Depends on the game, the length of cutscene, and all that :skull::skull::skull::skull:.

For example: In KH2, When I first see a cutscene, like a preboss one, I fully watch it. If I lose a boss fight, I don't waste my F@#$ing time watching it all over again. So I skip it

Another example, again in kh2: After beating the game, I replayed cause I was bored and I still watched all the cutscenes. But, when I started a third game for my no ability challenge, I gave up on the cutscenes cause I was F@#King sick and tired of watching them!!!

Then again, the quality of the cutscene also means something, QUESS WHAT? ANOTHER EXAMPLE!!!: In FF12 I will watch the CG cutscenes even if I've beaten them due to their sheer kick-ass-ery!

Well...excuse my lack of a point...its like 12:30 A.M. and I need some sleep for the night.

Meat Puppet
01-18-2007, 06:52 AM
It really depends on the cut scene. If I enjoyed it the first time I watched it, then I’ll most likely watch it again; if I didn’t find it too good, then I’ll skip it.
That being said, if it has been a long enough time since I last saw the cut scene, I probably won’t even consider skipping it.

Behold the Void
01-18-2007, 07:14 AM
I never skip a cutscene I've never seen. I like to get all of the game's storyline, so doing that would be really counter-productive.

If I've seen it though, I may skip it if I don't feel like watching it again.

vorpal blade
01-18-2007, 08:57 AM
If I haven't seen it, i don't skip it. I usually don't skip it anyway unless I just saw it (but have to go through it again 'cause I died or something). However, if I'm replaying the game I usually don't skip so as to not disrupt the flow (like pausing in a fierce battle does).

Markus. D
01-18-2007, 09:17 AM
I skip a scene if I get a say... lose to a boss.

but other than that.

Never.

it's apart of the story.

Yuffie514
01-18-2007, 09:26 AM
yes, i do, like for Final Fantasy VIII. but sometimes i become annoyed because of the elapsed time.

Cz
01-18-2007, 10:25 AM
I like to watch cut-scenes, even when I've seen them before. The only exceptions are tutorial screens, which I'll happily skip, and scenes that I saw a few minutes ago (when I've reached a Game Over and had to start again).

blackmage_nuke
01-18-2007, 10:32 AM
The purpose of a cutscene is to inform and entertain (well entertaining is the purpose of the entire game) cookie searching is only there to inform. Unless you get a kick out of it, in which case you would hide cookies and look for them or something.

Anyway I like watching cutscenes unless as said i just saw them. I sometimes skip the long ones if Ive seen them multiple times.

Kanshisha
01-18-2007, 10:37 AM
I skip it when i dislike the cutscene...when i enjoyed it the first time i watch it...

NeoCracker
01-18-2007, 10:59 AM
I amost always watch them if they are good. Even if I know what the story is, if its good there is nothing wrong with enjoying it again along with the gameplay.

Roto13
01-18-2007, 12:12 PM
It really depends on the cut scene. If I enjoyed it the first time I watched it, then I’ll most likely watch it again; if I didn’t find it too good, then I’ll skip it.
That being said, if it has been a long enough time since I last saw the cut scene, I probably won’t even consider skipping it.

Yup.

Laddy
01-18-2007, 12:51 PM
I watch every cutscene, even Xenosaga's (Oh.....my...God!)

Vermachtnis
01-18-2007, 01:48 PM
I usually try not to skip cutscenes even in games I've already beaten, unless I'm strapped for time or the cutscene was really, really long and I died in a boss fight. IE in Star Ocean 3 after getting off the one planet and crashing on the next and getting Nel and then losing that next boss fight. Yea I skipped that series of like three cutscenes.

ljkkjlcm9
01-18-2007, 01:53 PM
just like everyone else, I watch it the first time, it would be kinda stupid if you didn't. Then if I just recently saw it, I get annoyed and skip it, which sucks for games you can't skip all the dialogue... ugh. Then when I replay it depends on my mood really, and the quality of the scene.

THE JACKEL

The black mage
01-18-2007, 02:21 PM
i'm like all of you, i watch it first run through, and second run through (got to be funny or good thought). Howerver if (for example MGS3) it has a thing to review any cut secnes i may skip it if i need the loo or something

Roto13
01-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Howerver if (for example MGS3) it has a thing to review any cut secnes i may skip it if i need the loo or something

Speaking of which, there need to be more games with cutscenes you can pause in the middle of. I burned a pizza watching an hour of dialogue in Metal Gear Solid 2 because I didn't want to miss anything. :(

Rainecloud
01-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Depends on the game, I suppose.

However, I normally don't skip any cutscenes.

Mirage
01-18-2007, 03:36 PM
I never skip cutscenes the first time I play a game. After that, I usually skip those that aren't totally awesome.

Kossage
01-18-2007, 05:02 PM
I never skip cutscenes when I'm playing a game for the first time, because I don't want to miss out on any story bits, awesome action scenes or any other stuff that those cutscenes reveal. If I play the game again, then I either skip or don't skip cutscenes: it depends on whether the cutscenes were interesting or not. :)

Zeromus_X
01-18-2007, 11:22 PM
I never skip cutscenes the first time I play a game. After that, I usually skip those that aren't totally awesome.

KentaRawr!
01-19-2007, 01:08 AM
It depends entirely on the situation.

If it's my first time playing, then I always watch them.

If I lost and now have to do some sort of boss fight again, I skip.

If I'm doing a re-run, then I watch them again.

I like to savor my cookies. :)

Snowangle
01-19-2007, 02:31 AM
If I haven't seen it before then I'll watch it.
Depends on the game if I'll skip it or not (Xenosage for example too many scenes so I would skip them)
and if I loss to a boss I would skip the scenes.
But thats just me though so who cairs.

The black mage
02-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Howerver if (for example MGS3) it has a thing to review any cut secnes i may skip it if i need the loo or something

Speaking of which, there need to be more games with cutscenes you can pause in the middle of. I burned a pizza watching an hour of dialogue in Metal Gear Solid 2 because I didn't want to miss anything. :(

True, maybe it'll be in MSG4 or other nex-gen games, but cant you do it in ffx and ffx-2