PDA

View Full Version : What I don't like about the FFXII Soundtrack

Renmiri
01-18-2007, 07:23 PM
I admit it: it is good. But I hated it after the second day and just HAD TO turn the volume down.

I finally realized what makes Nobuo Uematsu so much better than Sakimoto: Variety.

For instance: I love the Hymn of the Fayth on FFX. But if the entire FFX soundtrack was composed of hymns like it I would hate it. I love the heavy metalish "Overworld" also from X. But an entire game just with heavy metal would be annoying. I love the romantic ballads on X, but not enough to hear 100 hours of it non stop.

I love Nobuo's soundtracks for VII, VIII, IX and X because they have variety. They have good songs in all styles. They don't repeat a theme ad nauseum. Styles, instruments and arrangements CHANGE. Sure, some of the themes aren't as good as others but the balance is always good.

FFXII is good but bland. And 100 hours of "bland and repetitive" drove me bonkers.

Comments ?

Bahamut2000X
01-18-2007, 07:34 PM
If I recall right, Overworld was one of the songs Nobuo didn't make for FFX. Which would make sense as the man isn't a very heavy metal type of composer.

Though your lack of FF I-IV on that list both saddens and angers me as I believe some of the better songs of the FF era to be from there instead of the newer ones.

As for FFXII I liked the music for it, and it didn't bore me. It had a good amount of variety I thought. You had a more deserty theme for Rabanastre, a more mighty industrilized theme for the Empire, and more ancient sounding music for the old ruins you explore.

Over all I thought the variety was pretty good, as was the quality of the songs and how they fit the mood and settings. Though I will agree it didn't have a more traditional video game feel as many of Nobuo's songs did for previous games (namely the first couple of FF's before they had entire orchestras for songs.) But over all I liked it and it didn't disappoint me.

BustaMo
01-18-2007, 09:01 PM
For me it's just not as memorable of songs and not as emotional as the soundtracks I love such as FFVI's, FFVII's, FFIX's, and FFX's. There were just so many songs in each of the 4 aforementioned games that 12's ST just didn't surpass those. That's why it gets a low grade from me. It's going to take a lot to pass my affinity for especially 7 and 10's musical selections.

Roto13
01-18-2007, 09:38 PM
XII's music was easy to listen to. I never felt the least bit inclined to turn it off.

Wolf Kanno
01-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Though I'm inclined to agree that FFXII's soundtrack is one of it's weaker points, I don't believe it's terrible or unispiring. I agree that the music of each area flows into each other really well and gives off the impression of "lack of variety" but there are some outstanding tracks. I feel it's like FFVIII and FFX's soundtrack for me. Overall, all three soundtracks are good but with the exception of a few outstanding tracks, it's mostly forgettable. It's like listening to John Williams.

As for Uematsu not being a metal composer... It's actually one of his favorite genres. It's why he made the Black Mages.

I prefer variety in my music but I don't feel Uematsu has had much real variety since FFVI. After that, most of the soundtracks have tried to fit the world more than the situation or characters. FFVII has a techno pop feel, FFVIII has modern contemporary, FFIX had a medeival feel, and FFX had a easy listening oriental feel. Sure there are exception in each game but overall, that's how each feels.

I'm just happy FFXII's soundtrack is appropiate and not generic japanese pop, like 98% of the RPGs out there...

LifeAsABullet
01-19-2007, 03:40 AM
I have my moments with this game when I just mute it and play but I feel that overall the soundtrack isn't so bad. I don't know, somehow I thought when I reached Mt. Bur-Omisace that it would bring in that Mt. Gagazet feel with the music but I was in a way disappointed. Hey, it's not the same game but I really did dig that music, it was perfect for climbing a mountain! But what is on for FFXII, I feel that it's too shady but whatever works I guess.

chrisguapo69
01-19-2007, 03:55 AM
I admit it: it is good. But I hated it after the second day and just HAD TO turn the volume down.

I finally realized what makes Nobuo Uematsu so much better than Sakimoto: Variety.

For instance: I love the Hymn of the Fayth on FFX. But if the entire FFX soundtrack was composed of hymns like it I would hate it. I love the heavy metalish "Overworld" also from X. But an entire game just with heavy metal would be annoying. I love the romantic ballads on X, but not enough to hear 100 hours of it non stop.

I love Nobuo's soundtracks for VII, VIII, IX and X because they have variety. They have good songs in all styles. They don't repeat a theme ad nauseum. Styles, instruments and arrangements CHANGE. Sure, some of the themes aren't as good as others but the balance is always good.

FFXII is good but bland. And 100 hours of "bland and repetitive" drove me bonkers.

Comments ?

My thoughts exactly. Although I never played any other FF game except FFXII and I am currently finishing FFX. I love the shifting extremes in song selection in FFX. Ranging from soft ballads to heavy metal. What blows me away is the cut scenes as well. The only song I probably don't like is the battle song. It makes me feel like i'm playing on a nintendo family computer.

I never took into account the soundtrack of FFXII, but now after playing almost 3/4's of FFX, I realize how bland the music was in FFXII. The music for me is just OK in FFXII.

Also what I noticed in FFX, the game gets me more emotionally involved with the characters. There are times when I kinda feel a lump in my throat and I'm just 1 knock away from getting teary eyed.

Gabranth
01-19-2007, 05:03 AM
i'm gonna have to agree with renmiri...there just wasn't very much variety, and only a few of the songs were good in my opinion. when i get tired of the song i kinda just mentally block it out.

Zeromus_X
01-19-2007, 05:07 AM
I liked the music. I think it did have variety, as well as outstanding sound quality. My only complaint would be that they re-used location themes for way too many cutscenes...but, the music itself is just fine with me.

Esper Battle= <3<3<3

LifeAsABullet
01-19-2007, 06:14 AM
I liked the music. I think it did have variety, as well as outstanding sound quality. My only complaint would be that they re-used location themes for way too many cutscenes...but, the music itself is just fine with me.

Esper Battle= <3<3<3

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: They DO have a point with the Esper Battle music.

Awesome.

Del Murder
01-19-2007, 09:06 PM
The boss battle musics are good but overall I found it very unimpressive.

The problem with the soundtrack is the none of the songs are very memorable. I can't even hum 2 songs. They blended in too much.

Dark Messenger
01-19-2007, 10:15 PM
I really like the "Congratulations!" music. The new version of 'Victory Fanfare'! And the music that plays when you go to 'Load Game'... that music's in many FF's! Such as 1, 4, 5, 8...

Del Murder
01-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the opening theme. Both those are great for nostalgic purposes. Possibly the best renditions of those themes ever.

Dreddz
01-19-2007, 11:55 PM
The music for FFXII is great, but comparing it to Nobuos work, it isnt half as great. There is some music I do really dislike from the soundtrack though. The music to Mosphoran Highwaste was awful, why did they let that one into the game.

rubah
01-22-2007, 01:46 AM
the main problem is that there aren't any clear cut melodies, which we've gotten used to with nobuo's songs.

Cruise Control
01-22-2007, 02:11 AM
I like how you failed to notice that in 8 - 10-2, 75% of the OST was based off arrangements of 3 melodies. Most noticeably in 10 (To Zanarkand, Hymn of the Fayth, Suteki Da Ne). FF12, lacks melodies, and generally tends to be more atmospheric.

edczxcvbnm
01-22-2007, 03:41 AM
This soundtrack rocks. I like the lack of variety. It makes listening to the soundtrack as background music so much easier. To me most of the stuff whats his face did was based around the story scenes in the later game...which this game greatly lacked. That kind of thing wouldn't work for this game. I am more than pleased.

Del Murder
01-22-2007, 05:46 AM
75% is a bit of a stretch. Anyway, I liked the variations on a central theme.

Miriel
01-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I agree with Del Murder.

There are maybe 2 or 3 songs that I actually like so far in the game. But even the ones I like, I can't hum for you. It just doesn't stick with me. The music is pleasant, but nothing special or memorable.