PDA

View Full Version : Xenogears

Wolf Kanno
01-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Thoughts? Opinions? Blasphemous lies?

Did you love it? Feel it was overhyped? Follow the "Saga" series blindly in hopes of hearing the full story? Favorite character? basically discuss whatever comes to mind...

Brandon Stroud
01-19-2007, 05:15 AM
I dug Xenogears and tried following Xenosaga. Unfortunately, it was only X3 that came close to the same feel that Xenogears had.

Personally, being a fighting gamer as well as a fan of RPG's, I consider the "Deathblow/Tactical Arts" combat setup among my favorites.

Jowy
01-19-2007, 05:40 AM
Xenogears rocks my face off.

Aemilius Blight
01-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Xenogears would have been the best jRPG ever had Square not given up on it half way through in order to support its signature franchise (yet another reason to feel resentment towards FFVIII). Right now it's still an above average jRPG, and my second favorite for the PSX, but its derivative dungeon designs and that awfully constructed second disk prevent it from matching the quality of other top-of-the-line jRPGs.

As for your other questions:

I feel it's overhyped in that game reviews will often give it a 9+/10, which there is no way it deserves, but certainly not in the same way as most Final Fantasy games are overhyped.

Xenosaga is fantastic but it's not really worth while comparing it to Xenogears. They are ridiculously different games in pretty much every way and I can't really say I prefer one to the other.

My favorite characters from the game are pretty much all the main villains. Id, Krelian/Karellen, Grahf, Miang and Ramsus all compliment each other extremely well as antagonists for the main party and are all up there on my list of favorite video game villains. None of the protagonists characters besides Citan and Fei really did anything for me.

Jowy
01-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Billy will do stuff to you for 3000G a night.

black orb
01-19-2007, 05:56 PM
>>> I really liked xenogears but I got bored in the second disc and I stopped playing it..

Prancing Mad
01-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Loved it mostly because of storyline only. System was okay, but needed a little more options as far as tweaking your characters. Kinda like XS1 did with the tech points to use on buffing skills or stats. What really made me laugh was how you could tell they had a lot more they wanted to do with the game but couldn't for some reason. Like around disk 2 when they start monologuing and saying "then we went through there and did that and that and that" You just know they originally had dungeons planned. Yeah dungeon design was really weak. Music very good at parts. Great characters in fei citan elly and anyone else who was not in the party

NeoCracker
01-20-2007, 04:32 PM
I get teh feeling I shouldn't listen to the Hype of XenoGears or I'll be greatly dissapointed. Especially hearing constanlty its far superior to Xenosaga, which is currently my favorite set of Games.

LunarWeaver
01-20-2007, 05:09 PM
I liked Gears, though I like Saga better. Gears is one of those games that has some fairly glaring flaws, which have been mentioned, but also one of those games that makes you forget them and keep playing.

I expected disc 2 to be like it was because I was told about it many times before I got there,and for that reason I didn't really mind it. I guess since I wasn't blind-sided it didn't bother me as much. Plus, if disc 2 was fully fleshed out the game would have gone on forever. I have a friend who once said Takahashi could be given unlimited funds and time and still manage to run out of both, and that's probably true. Ah well, it is what it is now.

Wolf Kanno
01-20-2007, 10:14 PM
I really love this game overall. I love it more than most of FF games. It's battle system gets repetitive and boring towards the end after you unlock all of the Deathblows but that's like 60 hours into the game. I don't think many battle systems can keep their appeal for that long. The Gear combat was amazing and it's cast and story are incredibly well written. Fei still has one of the greatest plot twists for a character in any RPG. I still feel the game had a well written love story, it was far more realistic and didn't have that "Since we've been together through all this, I decided that these feelings that psychologically speaking is just a crush is actually true love! Let's make babies!" You really watched Fei and Elly try to work out their personal issues and traumas before they ever really talked about "true love".

I don't mind the second disc too much and I felt under the circumstances of money and time constraints it was creatively done. It might be the fact I had just finished watching Evangelion (so I was prepared for anything) when I started the second disc but I found it enjoyable. I played the game more for it's plot than anything so not having to trek through another dungeon was rather refreshing. It's music was gorgeous and still remains my favorite of Mitsuda's work.

And yes... Billy love you long time...

Besides, how can you not love a game that has the infamous "Bart Missile"?

edczxcvbnm
01-20-2007, 11:02 PM
I loved what they did with the second disc. The game is already the longest game I have ever played and by the time disc 2 rolls around I just want the game to end and they gave me my easy out with non-stop dialog/story. I could not have been happier.

To me Xenogears represents one or square's better efforts at a game. Unique battle system and massive story. The world they created with the rich history was just awesome.

One of my favorite games of all time but a bit too long for its own good.

Captain Maxx Power
01-21-2007, 01:26 AM
Overly drawn-out First Disc, amazingly truncated Second Disc, half-arsed attempts at plumbing the depths of human exsistance and consciousness, drawn out cut scenes and a flawed battle system.

Basically, it's OK.

Auragaea
01-21-2007, 10:30 PM
I didn't really like Xenogears a lot. It wasn't like I imagined, and I hated how characters were shafted at the ending in the game for the gears. The first disc was boring until it got to Shevat, and I liked the storytelling in Disc 2 contrary to what the majority of people say. Overall, I'd actually give this game a 6/10, but that's my personal opinion.

I liked the saga series the best, esp. Ep. II.

Havoc
01-22-2007, 07:01 PM
To sum up Xenogears simply: Best. RPG. Ever.

Markus. D
01-28-2007, 07:37 PM
*waits for Holmes*

its a neat game in terms of storyline.

Angel Valentine
02-07-2007, 04:16 AM
I really like Xenogears, it puts Xenosaga to shame IMO, but I'm not a fan of Xenosaga at all.

I don't think it deserves all the hype. It was a good game, with an interesting storyline, and somewhat interesting characters. Bart? xD But I don't find it to be fantastic or revolutionary.