PDA

View Full Version : MIDI help

nik0tine
01-19-2007, 04:03 AM
I recently aquired Garritan Personal Orchestra (http://www.garritan.com/GPO.html) and I am trying to make it compatable with Finale. (http://www.codamusic.com/) I, however, have absolutely no idea what I am doing. Does anyone have any experience with situations similar to this?

I'm using Finale 2006. I also have Kompakt which came with GPO. From what I've read, I have to somehow link my kompakt player to finale. That's about all the information I can provide at this point since I'm so confused.

Samuraid
01-20-2007, 03:25 AM
Hmm...unfortunately, I have not used Finale in ages. Does it support VST plugins? If so, that might be the thing to try as most Giga-esque software synth libraries are compatible with VST.

If not, can you run GPO as a standalone app that listens to a MIDI port?

nik0tine
01-20-2007, 06:14 AM
Hmm...unfortunately, I have not used Finale in ages. Does it support VST plugins? If so, that might be the thing to try as most Giga-esque software synth libraries are compatible with VST.It does support VST plugins but I have no idea how to utilize that feature.

In Finale, under the midi dropdown list there is an option that says "Native Instruments VST Setup..." I click on that and it brings up a box with a pulldown list labeled VST instrument. To the left it says "Finale Channel" and then a bunch of numbers (1-16, 17-32, etc.). To the right of each pull down list is an "Edit" button which is completely greyed out. When I click on one of the pull down lists there is nothing to select.

There is a button that I can check called "Play Finale through native instruments VST" and when I do that I can't hear any playback in finale because none of the instruments are set up.

Edit: I copied and pasted a file called "PersonalOrchestraVST.dll" into my FinaleCST folder and I was able to select garritan personal orchestra from the pulldown list. However, I still can't hear any playback.

Also, I have received an error that reads "Missing requested plugin: Garrtian Ambiencefor reverb"

If not, can you run GPO as a standalone app that listens to a MIDI port?I'm not sure what this means, exactly. Forgive me. :p

Rostum
01-21-2007, 06:01 AM
Hey nik,

I managed to get Eastwest's RA VST to work with Finale. I did the same thing you did with GPO where it enables Finale to play back through native instruments. Then I went to Native Instruments Setup, and in one of the drop down lists I selected the RA vst.dll and it came up with the same error, but it still works anyways.

Edit: I can't seem to mix down to audio, it just reverts back to the softsynth. So I'm going to try and find the 2007 version which has a kontakt player built in.