PDA

View Full Version : With our powers combined...

Captain Maxx Power
01-19-2007, 06:39 PM
What sort of person are you when it comes to working with others? Do you tend to be the lone wolf doing everything on your own? Or do you seek out help where possible?

I tend to work alone, however I can be cohersed into working with others, provided they're up to my level of practices.

Psychotic
01-19-2007, 07:03 PM
If I'm working in a group, I let all the others take control and make plans and stuff, then when they start drawing up a list of tasks, I immediately volunteer for the fun/easy one.

Little Blue
01-19-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm a bit like you both. I prefer to work on my own, only seeking help if I have no choice, but if I have to work in a group, I typically just let the others take control and follow instructions when given, provided the instructions make sense according to what I'd do if I were in control.

Chemical
01-19-2007, 07:13 PM
I try to find my place in a group as the organizer who just looks to make sure things are done. I schedule the group meetings, right out lists of what needs to be done, keep a time line and contact, document resources and usually compile the bibliography.

I try hard to keep things equal so I don't deligate tasks I let everyone decide what it is they want to do.

Sometimes in groups I'm not the organizer, but instead I'll do all the preliminary research and present my ideas for a hypothesis that is discussed among the group. And in this case I usually also act as final Editor.

Cz
01-19-2007, 07:26 PM
It depends on the task. I'll gladly lead the group if it's something I'm good at, but I'm just as ready to take orders if someone smarter or more able than me is giving them. That said, I often find that I get things done much easier when working alone, so I'd rather work that way if possible.

Bunny
01-19-2007, 07:36 PM
I do my best to avoid group situations. I am a "loner" to the very core and I enjoy doing things on my own. Not for any reason tied to the accomplishment side of getting things done, but moreso with the part that I don't trust other people with my work. If I cannot avoid a group situation, I tend to stand back and let things get deligated by someone else. If that person proves incompetent by my standards (which are extremely high, if not nigh impossible) then I will take control of everything.

Agrias
01-19-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm a bit like you both. I prefer to work on my own, only seeking help if I have no choice, but if I have to work in a group, I typically just let the others take control and follow instructions when given, provided the instructions make sense according to what I'd do if I were in control.

I am the same. Only sometimes, when i'm in a particularly chipper mood, i take control...or when i see that i've been given shy slackers with no imagination....:choc2:

theundeadhero
01-19-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm a loner by nature, but it's my job to be the boss of the group and make sure everything gets done.

Owen Macwere
01-19-2007, 08:18 PM
I prefer to work alone this way no one can just put thier noses in stuff they don't understand. I don't ask for help normally unless I am really stuck or lost. I don't like this habite in me, though.

But If I am working with a group, I'd always like to take control and give views and plans. if no one fallows what I say I'd feel really bad and angry but I wont voice it out load. This is another habite that I like to get ride of.
That's why I step on myself and try to act friendly and cooprating hoping that I'd change. :rolleyes2
I need a hard lesson.

rih29
01-19-2007, 08:21 PM
I prefer to work alone in most things. However if I see that I really need help, I'll gather my closest friends, and then we improvise a plan that puts all of our unique skills to the best work. I hate working with dip:skull::skull::skull::skull:s. I usually just do a majority of the work by myself even if I'm forced to work with other bastards.

Roto13
01-19-2007, 09:36 PM
I don't like working with people. Last semester, whenever I needed a partner, I always teamed up with the exact same guy. Looks like it's going to be the same way this semester.

XxSephirothxX
01-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Typically, I would prefer to work alone unless I had the option to work with a group of friends or people I considered reliable. Generally, when placed in groups in school, I would take charge if nobody else did so immediately, since I didn't trust many people to do a good job with whatever project or lame assignment we were working on.

fire_of_avalon
01-19-2007, 09:56 PM
It really depends on the project and the group, but typically I'd rather work by myself. If I can't, then I either become group leader or second man. Honestly, unless I really dislike someone in the group, I'd rather do a good chunk of the work and let them ride my coattails. As long as I make a good grade, I'm alright with that, because their lazy nature isn't going to change and they'll get tripped up at some point.

vorpal blade
01-19-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't care for groups. Whenever we had to work in pairs, I'd usually work with the same person, just because that person always asked me first, usually to take advantafge of my brains.

In my Japanese class one year we paired off to do an exercise on looking up Kanji in the dictionary. I knew what I was doing so I looked up most of the stuff while she wrote it down and drew on the paper to make it look like the ad we were translating. Including the naked baby, to which I made the joke that she draws naked kids when she's bored.

In groups of more than 2, I usually just follow whatever orders are given to me. I don't lead.

Leen-Leen
01-19-2007, 11:00 PM
It depends on what you need to do, and who I'm stuck with. If the people I'm working with aren't really "friends" with me, then I'd rather work alone because I just work better that way. Usually I'm stuck with doing all the work. But obviously, if I talk to whoever i"m stuck with every so often, sure, i'll work with them. That's fun. xD

Dynast-Kid
01-19-2007, 11:04 PM
It depends on what you need to do, and who I'm stuck with. If the people I'm working with aren't really "friends" with me, then I'd rather work alone because I just work better that way. Usually I'm stuck with doing all the work. But obviously, if I talk to whoever i"m stuck with every so often, sure, i'll work with them. That's fun. xD

Exactly.

I usually end up doing most of the work if all the people in my group are part of the same social circle; they'll be off socializing while I quietly do all the work and earn them a good grade. But if i'm with any of my friends, i'll usually talk to them while working, and we'll usually share the load.

Old Manus
01-19-2007, 11:15 PM
lol, the internet is full of loners.

I'm a groupie kind of guy

Vivisteiner
01-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Im crap at working in groups. Not because I have arguments with people, but because I tend to have a different working style from most people.

With some few select people though, I can work well with, but mostly, Im solitary.

Bunny
01-19-2007, 11:36 PM

Do you do everything in groups? This is a very important question.

kikimm
01-19-2007, 11:38 PM
I do my best to avoid group situations. I am a "loner" to the very core and I enjoy doing things on my own. Not for any reason tied to the accomplishment side of getting things done, but moreso with the part that I don't trust other people with my work. If I cannot avoid a group situation, I tend to stand back and let things get deligated by someone else. If that person proves incompetent by my standards (which are extremely high, if not nigh impossible) then I will take control of everything.

Yeah, this is me. Except the part about the taking over. I don't do that all the time.

I absolutely hate group projects. I don't feel like I benefit from at all. I also don't voice my opinion, ever, cause I'm usually not comfortable witht he people I work with. I especially hate collaborating on writing stuff. That's the worst. Ugh. I had to do that earlier this week. So I just took all the research stuff home and did it myself. I don't think anyone was too upset on me doing everything ;D

Old Manus
01-19-2007, 11:39 PM

Do you do everything in groups? This is a very important question.Everything.

NINJA_Ryu
01-19-2007, 11:43 PM
"Let our powers combine! Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Heart! By your powers combined, I am Captain Planet! GO PLANET! "

YES!!!

o..topic, gotcha.

I try to be as inclusive as possible, while steering the group in a positive direction. Sometimes i can get a bit bossy, but thats not always my intent :(

oddler
01-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Read theundeadhero's post and you will have the distinct privilege of looking inside my brain. I'm not going to tell you out in the open because that's too easy. :p

41-Inches-Wide
01-20-2007, 02:40 AM
My course taught me how to work in groups. Yes, I do work well by myself but I feel like I can work faster when I'm in a group, not only do I love division of labor but also there's a nagging feeling like I should work hard so as not to let the whole group go down.

Dr Unne
01-20-2007, 02:49 AM
In school I hated working in groups. At work it is actually true that two people are often more productive than one. I try to get other people to work on tasks with me as much as possible nowadays. Other perspectives are immensely valuable. And it's less work for me.

Anaisa
01-20-2007, 03:22 AM
I don't like working with other people unless it's something I don't want to do, so I can get them to do all the work.

Christmas
01-20-2007, 03:30 AM
I MISREAD THIS THREAD AS "WITH OUR BODIES COMBINED...."CCCCCHHHUUUU~~~~~ :bigsmile:

Odaisé Gaelach
01-20-2007, 03:34 AM
I usually work pretty well on my own. Sometimes I work better with other people. Ultimately it depends on what I'm supposed to be doing.

EDIT: And I'm just going to shout out CAPTAIN PLANET right now for no reason other than the title reminds me of the cartoon...

Bunny
01-20-2007, 03:41 AM

Do you do everything in groups? This is a very important question.Everything.

Hello Manus would you like to be my friend?

~*~Celes~*~
01-20-2007, 03:41 AM
I'm a loner by nature, but it's my job to be the boss of the group and make sure everything gets done.

Also for me, I always end up doing all the work because no one else in my group knows what's going on, but I always seem to know, according to them :eep: so they're like "you want to do this?" and I'm always okay with that because for some reason, I feel as if it won't be done right if I don't do it...mainly because the kids in my grade don't know how to use their brains. I know it sounds a bit conceited maybe, but seriously, they sit there and don't even attempt anything..they just say "whatever, if I fail, I fail, I'm not going to put any effort into it." And personally, in moments like those when the entire group's grade is the same for every individual, I'd rather get a decent grade than a horrible one.

Madonna
01-20-2007, 04:52 AM
I am not a social person, but I know that getting several people to work on a project usually can get it done faster and possibly more complete; a one-person perspective has a problem of forgetting a few things and other people can help to prevent such slip-ups.

I hate being the leader in a group because I hate directing and giving orders, yet I often take the role because there is a lack of people with leadership skills. I prefer taking lesser positions whenever possible.

starseeker
01-20-2007, 09:32 AM
I prefer to work on my own but if I have to work in a group, I usually end up either bossing everyone else around, or doing almost all the work so we can actually finish it.

Quindiana Jones
01-20-2007, 12:19 PM
I hate working with people who aren't as good as I am. :bigsmile:

Jojee
01-20-2007, 12:25 PM
I AM... CAPTAIN PLANET!

Um, I like working alone better x3 But working in groups is fun too. When I'm doing group stuff I like to take charge... unless someone else is better than me at taking charge, then they can go ahead ^_^ But usually I end up being the leader type person >.>;

Evastio
01-20-2007, 05:22 PM
I always do my hardest when working even to the point where it's a bit unhealthy for me. I usually don't care about how much work other people I'm working with are doing.

Madame Adequate
01-21-2007, 08:07 PM
I detest working with others. The failure of some people to even attend meetings is enough to set me off on a long-term grudge. I much prefer working on my own, that way I succeed or fail based on my own merits and weaknesses.

DarkLadyNyara
01-21-2007, 10:09 PM
I hate working with others unless it's someone that I really connect with. And those are few and far between.

Hambone
01-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Whenever I'm given a project, I always choose to work alone. I like going with my ideas on things and not other people's. Even when I work with a partner, I always work with this one dude who is kinda sorta my friend. I am a loner. Especially since my 13th birthday.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
01-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Depends on the group. If I know they're not going to listen to my suggestions anyway then I won't bother saying anything and just string along. If I can sense when people aren't going to take me seriously I just won't bother putting too much effort in

Mikztsu
01-22-2007, 01:01 AM
I've always worked better in groups. I was educated to work good in groups. That's something you pretty much need to be able to do in today's work-life, because in many fields there's emphatize on group work today. Of course this requires to have good group members. When you and your group complete each other (idea-wise etc), result is always better for everyone.

Of course if you have morons and idiots in your group, the outcome could turn out to be opposite and then you're better working alone.

escobert
01-22-2007, 02:15 AM
It depends on how the other person is, If they take charge I let them, if they won't then I will.

Pike
01-22-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm so bad with working with other people... I always feel like either I'm going to let the other people down, or they're going to let me down. Plus, it's so hard to find times to meet with the other people in your group, etc. Just let me do the danged project by myself. XD