PDA

View Full Version : <Gah!>Gah!</Gah!>

CimminyCricket
01-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Ok, so earlier I asked for help on html, and got it.
Now I'm asking if there's anything I need to work on with the site I've built as practice. I've been trying alot of differenty Javascripts and regular html.

here's the <a href="http://www.geocities.com/cimanim/index.html">link</a>

also, I dunno if this is allowed, if its not...Sorry! :c|

o_O
01-19-2007, 10:59 PM
I would recommend learning how to create layouts using tables.

It will enable you to create a site that is clearly divided into navigable sections. Take the EoFF front page, for example. Tables are used to create the menu on the left, and separate it from the content section in the middle.

Also, you'll want to learn CSS, since it's the way of the future, and stuff and a whole lot more powerful than HTML on its own.

CimminyCricket
01-20-2007, 04:28 AM
I've heard of CSS but from what I scimmed through, I didn't understand half of the tutorials given.

rubah
01-20-2007, 01:29 PM
this is pretty dated, but it'll teach you the basics of how it works. If you get the basics, then you can start browsing the CSS specs at w3.org and learn how to do it properly. http://webmonkey.com/authoring/stylesheets/tutorials/tutorial1.html It's just important to *do* the tutorials, so you understand why things work like they do. That's when you might go back to the tutorials that are Greek to you right now, and you might find you can decipher them much more easily. Sometimes people who work in webdesign or programming forget just how much people new to a language don't know.

Now, your site: we always love to use the gimicky things, but the internet doesn't run on them :] which is the main flaw with the sites I linked you xD However, you're starting out, so you have full excuse to use as many of them as you can. Just keep in mind that a bunch of them, especially little javascript snippets, are really obnoxious and liable to keep people from coming back to your site. What will keep them back is having some sort of content, so decide what kind of site you want, and then build your site to display it.

CimminyCricket
01-23-2007, 06:52 PM
heh, I tried using css, and it smurfed things up really bad. lmto
Anything less complicated? I'd like to not have to redo all sorts of color codes for scripts and stuff.

rubah
01-24-2007, 09:44 PM
CSS is not only the past and the future, it is also the present, so you'll need to get a hang of it sometime here shortly.

o_O
01-24-2007, 11:39 PM
I found the best way to learn CSS was to look at the source of nice looking pages to find out exactly what can be used where, since CSS is a large language and tutorials can only give you the basics.

Not to mention that a surprising amount of material is <i>not</i> covered in tutorials. And as rubah said, CSS is the future, so you'll need to get the hang of it if you want to learn web design. :p

CimminyCricket
01-25-2007, 01:22 AM
I've got two web designs classes coming up, hopefully they're update enough to feature CSS tutorials. If not, damn.

Rostum
01-25-2007, 04:30 AM
I know it's not to do with coding, but another really good thing (which is what I'm more knowledgable about when it comes to webstites), is to learn things like dimensions, image formats (compressions), web colours. And just all the graphical things as such, as well as using tables.

Oh, and then there's CSS. :p

CimminyCricket
01-26-2007, 03:15 AM
OMG It just deleted itself, all the work I had put into it and its gone. >< what could have happened?

o_O
01-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Geocities limits the bandwith to something like 1Mb an hour, so are you sure that hasn't happened?

Failing that, do you have some kind of backup on your computer?

Moon Rabbits
01-26-2007, 10:48 PM
BACKUPS.

Also, CSS isn't all that hard once you get into it. I actually found it easier to learn than HTML, maybe because I already knew HTML or something...either way, it's a good thing to know, since it's pretty powerful 'n' all.

PHP on the other hand, I find that a little difficult.

CimminyCricket
01-31-2007, 04:05 PM
No, there was no backup, I went over the hourly limit for updating (I'm guessing) but, bleh. I started over, the new link is up there at the first post, I used less Java-script snippets, except for the menu, and a few other things, EXCEPT on a page with a liable warning issued. Unless you want to play with that I reccomend you stay out of that page :c)

Also, two of the links don't work because I haven't finished coding those pages, those are the "chat" and "forum" pages, mostly cause I haven't decided which of those to kieep.

drgnfireinferno
01-31-2007, 10:18 PM
along the lines with the tables you may want to look into frames. frames are a more advanced version of tables. however instead of having to copy the code onto every page, like you do with tables, a frame opens up another html file inside it's table. With frames you can have parts of your site change and load without reloading other parts.

rubah
01-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Do not use frames except out of necessity. There is no need for them.

Browsers are capable of caching parts of webpages, so your layout graphics won't need to be reloaded, unless you've been sitting there a long time. And also they're lame as freaking 2001.

crono_logical
01-31-2007, 11:48 PM
Ga ga ga ga ga ga Gaogaigar :D

Do not use frames except out of necessity. There is no need for them.

Browsers are capable of caching parts of webpages, so your layout graphics won't need to be reloaded, unless you've been sitting there a long time. And also they're lame as freaking 2001.I've decided iframes are brillant things though if used right - you can load content into invisible ones then use it to manipulate the visible stuff, or have the new page call some function in the parent to make it do stuff - I think this is how AJAX might work in some places, like the fancy stuff on these forums. At work, we got a giant wall plasma screen 2 weeks ago to show the status of various network/service components in realtime, so I wrote a few pages using javascript and iframes to load different pages dynamically whilst keeping others in the background without reloads, and change between them without horrible reload screens appearing :p Stripped down example with non-work pages here (http://cronological.no-ip.com/testing/) - looks nice in Firefox, didn't care about IE when making it :D

rubah
02-01-2007, 02:29 AM
:monster2:

My comment was mostly directed to people such as dollers who like to make iframes their layout, so they can just put a little 400x400 box in the center of a page. There's no need! your example is just hypnotizing

crono_logical
02-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Nah, a tiny box in the centre is bad use of space as far as I can see :p

CimminyCricket
02-01-2007, 04:08 PM
omg...ok, so it worked yesterday? Cause I went to edit it again today, and now its gone...geocities sucks, I hate it. someone find me a new web provider! ><

rubah
02-01-2007, 05:33 PM
I can host you.

CimminyCricket
02-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Seriously? How and when? and then the other three or four W's.