PDA

View Full Version : Predeterrmined jobs or custamizable jobs?

Zora
01-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Okay, in a few FF games (FFIII, V, and X-2 come to mind) you can choose what jobs you want. However in most games the jobs are prededetermined (even if an anynomous job, such as Josef in FFII was essentially a monk though his job was really anynomous), as in you don't choose if someone is a Sage, Warrior, or whatnot, the game has chosen for you (FF IV is a good example of this).

So anyways, which do you like more? Creating your team by custamizing your jobs or having the jobs predetermined?

For me, I like custamizing more, since I find creating your own party fun...

LunarWeaver
01-20-2007, 01:58 AM
I'd like to say customizable because then you can simply choose to go either way, but I never do when it's like that. I'm going to say specific jobs. Plus, then I get a definite sexy white mage cloak. That outfit is from a divine dimension I tell you.

Laddy
01-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Pretermined, it gives you a better sense of strategy, in my humble and very biased opinion.

robfinalfantasy
01-20-2007, 02:48 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=36613
Stealing my idea huh?

I have no preference. I enjoy both.

Aemilius Blight
01-20-2007, 03:06 AM
Customizable is better in theory, but it is hardly ever done properly.

Meat Puppet
01-20-2007, 03:35 AM
Predetermined. I’m lazy.

Martyr
01-20-2007, 04:18 AM
Morpheus: I see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, that's not far from the truth.
Do you believe in fate, Neo?
Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why not?
Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

NINJA_Ryu
01-20-2007, 04:33 AM
I like custom, since the battle requires more thought ^^

aquatius
01-20-2007, 07:20 AM
I like a sort of mix. Different characters learn different abilities and level uniquely, but they are still quite customizable.

farplaner
01-20-2007, 07:21 AM
I liked the freedom of the last couple of games, but I'd like to get back to predetermined jobs (I'm hoping that's the idea with XIII).

I'm playing IX right now, and I think the defined roles helps the individuality of the characters in general.

...so basically, I like either/or....for a while.

blackmage_nuke
01-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Predetermined, abit like VI, it adds more to the character's personalities

-

vorpal blade
01-20-2007, 07:44 AM
I like customixable jobs. That way you can strategize better. Plus, I like being able to change the characters' appearances.

Captain Maxx Power
01-20-2007, 11:27 AM
I generally prefer customising, if only because it allows for some funky combinations to kill monsters besides doing large amounts of damage.

Crossblades
01-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Though I have no problem customizing characters, I want to see more FFs with predetermined jobs

feioncastor
01-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Predetermined jobs makes more sense, but the option of changing jobs makes sense in some contexts. When you think about Cecil from FF4, he's a swordsman. That's what he has been trained to do. He doesn't know much about magic or barehanded combat. To make him able to effectively fight with his fists wouldn't make sense since he wasn't trained to do that.

In games with a job system, they usually explain it by means of crystals or something else that imparts the knowledge and undestanding of the jobs to the character. Typically the character lacks proficiency in a new job until they've done it for a while. In a game like FFT, it's not a matter of a character switching between swords and magic, it's more like the gamer decides to hire a different type of soldier to better accomodate what they're doing, and even in that case, the soldier still has to gain proficiency in the job before being great at it.

So I guess I'm saying that it would be lame if FF4 had changeable job classes because it wouldn't work with the story in the game.