PDA

View Full Version : Animeness

Freya
01-20-2007, 04:05 AM
So, I use to appreciate my knowledge of animes. I use to one of those people that had watched animes BEFORE they got big and people actually discovered them before the fanboys and girls came along.
SOOOOO Help me out here. I need back in my groove of anime knowledge. What are some great up and coming animes that you, the people of eoff, know about? Not the same things everyone knows of. I don't feel special then. Stuff that not many people know of yet and are really good and worth watching.

Aemilius Blight
01-20-2007, 04:22 AM
I will not aid someone in their endeavor to become as pretentious about anime as possible. There are enough people who rattle on endlessly on anime forums about how they liked Evangelion etc before it was popular, as if there was a time where it wasn't.

God I hate anime forums.

Tasura
01-20-2007, 04:25 AM
More then likely, if not many people know about it, it's either just starting and not that looked forward too, or its not subbed.

Freya
01-20-2007, 04:31 AM
I will not aid someone in their endeavor to become as pretentious about anime as possible. There are enough people who rattle on endlessly on anime forums about how they liked Evangelion etc before it was popular, as if there was a time where it wasn't.

God I hate anime forums.

Oie i wasn't trying to be a jerk, i was just asking what are some new things :p I just don't want to hear about things i already know about is all i'm saying.

Aemilius Blight
01-20-2007, 04:37 AM
ohright

Well the new Hellsing OVA is supposed to be pretty good. Not exactly unheard of, but I am not 'up' with current anime releases enough to list anything non-mainstream. Maybe Dokuro-chan or something.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-20-2007, 04:54 AM
Kyou Kara Maou!

It is good. Balance of comedy and drama. Though there are shonen-ai elements in it, it is not a shonen-ai. Also there are plenty of pretty boys.

*points to sig* That is Yuuri, the main character.

Tasura
01-20-2007, 05:25 AM
ohright

Well the new Hellsing OVA is supposed to be pretty good. Not exactly unheard of, but I am not 'up' with current anime releases enough to list anything non-mainstream. Maybe Dokuro-chan or something.

Yea, the Hellsing Ultimate OVA sint new at all, it's been out for almost a year and a half now, well 2 eps at least.

black orb
01-20-2007, 05:25 AM
>>> First rule, popular manga= popular anime, if you want to know about the next popular anime you should get into manga first..
If a popular videogame turn into anime there is a chance that the anime become popular too..
Sometimes OVAs turn to be popular too, but I think those are rare cases since most of the original video anime out there are just crap..

starseeker
01-20-2007, 09:39 AM
I'd suggest Death Note or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. They're both still on subs but Haruhi has become kinda big.

Tasura
01-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Death Note is kinda big too.

Freya
01-20-2007, 08:16 PM
yeah i've heard of Death Note, haven't got into it yet though.

StarlightAngel
01-20-2007, 08:29 PM
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya = Win.

I also rather like Air Gear, which is my current signature/avatar theme.

Vermachtnis
01-20-2007, 08:44 PM
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is great.

ShunNakamura
01-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Utawarerumon is a good anime that has been licensed. I beleive the first volume has been released by ADV. I will have to save up so I can pick up the series(yeah, I already have the sub downloaded, but it is that good).

Tasura
01-21-2007, 11:31 PM
D.Gray-Man.

JKTrix
01-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Death Note and Suzumiya are both licensed now. They are awesome though. If anything is to be the 'next big thing', it's one of them--though it's probably a bit of stretch. They don't have the mass appeal of DBZ or Naruto. The Fansub Fanboys (self included) are the ones who will really propel Suzumiya.

I wouldn't classify D.Gray-Man as something 'Big and Unknown', though I guess it is unknown right now. If you're gonna suggest DGM might as well check out Busou Renkin. Both are fairly easy to get into.

I suggest looking into the following unlicensed still-on-fansub anime:
Ouran High School Host Club. Unfortunately this will eternally be called 'the show with the other Haruhi', since this came out the same time as Suzumiya. I enjoyed this show immensely, at times just as much as Suzumiya. It's actually made for girls, but anyone can enjoy it. It's a shame this isn't licensed yet! It was one of 2006's best shows.
Code Geass: Mechs, action, cool music. Good looking show, designs by CLAMP (Cardcaptors, X, Tsubasa Chronicle)
Nodame Cantabile: Manga based, touching story about 2 people and music
Manabi Straight: Just started, ultra cute.
Pumpkin Scissors: has been going on for a while, and it's pretty interesting so far.

For stuff you can get on DVD:
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. It is awesome. Get it now.
RahXephon. Might start out seeming like an 'Eva Clone', though the comparisons are purely cosmetic. Ultimately surpasses Eva in most areas.
Eureka 7: Not yet finished on DVD, but I watched all 50 episodes through on Fansub in 2005-2006. It is great.
Twelve Kingdoms: Best Fantasy Anime I have ever seen. Utawarerumono does not even compare (a DogGirl is fine too), even the brilliance of Scrapped Princess does not quite match up.

There's lots out there. Check www.fansub.tv to get unlicensed, direct-download stuff. Animesuki is still around as well, but they're torrent-only. If you can spare the time/harddrive space, just try one episode of anything that looks remotely interesting. You might stumble upon something awesome (as was the case with RahXephon and Suzumiya for me).

Bart's Friend Milhouse
01-22-2007, 06:31 PM
High school girls FTW