PDA

View Full Version : Graphics or Gameplay?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-20-2007, 05:02 AM
When it comes to video games which is more important to you high definition graphics or amazing gameplay? I'll take gameplay over graphics any day because it doesn't matter how impressive the visuals are if the game doesn't play well.

black orb
01-20-2007, 05:04 AM
>>> Gameplay..

Erdrick Holmes
01-20-2007, 05:31 AM
I like gameplay more. I mean, this is why I like 2D fighting games more than most 3D ones, because they're more fun to play.

tidus_rox
01-20-2007, 05:43 AM
Graphics. Therefore PS3 pwns all

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-20-2007, 06:02 AM

I guess but the PS3's exterior is ugly in comparison to the Wii's exterior in my opinion. To quote Kevin Pereria "The PS3 is like a moped it's fun until your friends catch you riding it!" LOL!:D

Zeromus_X
01-20-2007, 06:07 AM
...Gameplay? Who wouldn't vote for that?

Rostum
01-20-2007, 06:51 AM
I like both, but gameplay defenately gets in first.

vorpal blade
01-20-2007, 07:49 AM
gameplay. I need to be able to recognisze various things (characters, walls, items, etc) but if it's not fun I won't play it.

starseeker
01-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Gameplay. FFX-2 had lovely graphics but the gameplay and plot left a lot to be desired.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Gameplay. If the game plays like a blind, drunken monkey it's not worth playing.

Markus. D
01-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Gameplay~

As long as the Graphics looks plausible.

Jack
01-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Gameplay.

Although, at the moment it's all about how fun it is for me and my flatmates when we've had a few.

Slothy
01-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Gameplay obviously.

I guess but the PS3's exterior is ugly in comparison to the Wii's exterior in my opinion. To quote Kevin Pereria "The PS3 is like a moped it's fun until your friends catch you riding it!" LOL!:D

That may be how you feel, but having seen all three next-gen consoles up close and personal, I've got to say I think the PS3 looks the best of them all by a very wide margin.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-20-2007, 01:56 PM
gameplay dur

Raebus
01-20-2007, 02:27 PM

Seconded.

Also, gameplay.

Roto13
01-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Gameplay. As long as a game isn't hideously ugly, good gameplay is all it really needs.

KentaRawr!
01-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Gameplay, obviously.

Erdrick Holmes
01-20-2007, 02:53 PM
To the people who put graphics first: Go download nethack. Nethack= a game made with nothing but text symbols as graphics. Best way to kill a few hours real fast.

Laddy
01-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Gameplay, so many people judge games and systems by graphics, and they get some really horrible game, so if it looks god, good. If it plays good, better. Remember: Graphics don't make a game.

Slothy
01-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Gameplay, so many people judge games and systems by graphics, and they get some really horrible game, so if it looks god, good. If it plays good, better. Remember: Graphics don't make a game.

No, but until you play the games yourself, you don't have much else to go on, which is part of the reason why screenshots and videos can't be easily judged on much else.

Tavrobel
01-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Gameplay. Graphics mean nothing, because if you're going to sell crap wrapped in a tinfoil, it's still crap.

Mo-Nercy
01-20-2007, 03:43 PM
The short answer would be gameplay of course... but...

Remember: Graphics don't make a game.
Contrary to what everyone might say about gameplay > graphics. Graphics have made a game plenty of times. Think of the first ever 3D fighter (was it Toshinden?). To all the hardened 2D fighter fans, it would've seemed like a gimmick but it paid off. 3D fighters have continued to evolve, buffed by continued effort to make the fighting seem more realistic. Hence, sidesteps, horizontal/vertical attacks etc.

This can also be said of the racing genre. Although Gran Turismo is renowned for its gameplay, the 'ultimate driving simulator' wouldn't be so if it weren't for graphics. How could the PlayStation possibly simulate the feeling of driving a Lancer Evo III if the car didn't look almost exactly perfect? Realistic handling or not, Gran Turismo would not be where it is today if it weren't for graphics.

Ryth
01-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Gameplay is a the obvious choice. Graphics are nice, and they help the game, but they are not the most important element of a game.

Laddy
01-20-2007, 04:01 PM
The short answer would be gameplay of course... but...

Remember: Graphics don't make a game.
Contrary to what everyone might say about gameplay > graphics. Graphics have made a game plenty of times. Think of the first ever 3D fighter (was it Toshinden?). To all the hardened 2D fighter fans, it would've seemed like a gimmick but it paid off. 3D fighters have continued to evolve, buffed by continued effort to make the fighting seem more realistic. Hence, sidesteps, horizontal/vertical attacks etc.

This can also be said of the racing genre. Although Gran Turismo is renowned for its gameplay, the 'ultimate driving simulator' wouldn't be so if it weren't for graphics. How could the PlayStation possibly simulate the feeling of driving a Lancer Evo III if the car didn't look almost exactly perfect? Realistic handling or not, Gran Turismo would not be where it is today if it weren't for graphics.

What I was implying was this: Don't judge a game just by it's graphics, then you're not playing games, you're absorbing visual images.

Erdrick Holmes
01-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Take for example, games made by Gust and Nippon Ichi (Disgaia, Atelier Iris, Phantom Brave, etc.) they look like high res Super Nintendo games with voice acting, yet they're well worth the effort into actually playing because they're fun. (not to mention funny as hell)

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-22-2007, 04:58 AM
I guess graphics can be breathtaking, sometimes but it isn't enough to sell a game take Jade Empire for example the graphics in that game were beautiful but Bioware's Asian-themed RPG was over looked.

Yamaneko
01-22-2007, 05:14 AM
Depends on the genre. I stopped playing Day of Defeat and Counter Strike on the old Gold Source engine because I couldn't take the graphics. Fortunately their predecessors retain the same core gameplay mechanics and also look about twenty times better. For other types of games like platformers, gameplay trumps graphics, however, it's still nice to see high res 2D textures as well.

fantasyjunkie
01-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Gameplay FTW. There are still old DOS games and old windows games that are on the hard drive of my brand new comp that I still play after all these years.

KentaRawr!
01-22-2007, 10:39 AM
What I was implying was this: Don't judge a game just by it's graphics, then you're not playing games, you're absorbing visual images.

Just as long as you're enjoying yourself, it doesn't matter which part of a game you respect most. After all, games are about having fun. :p

Bart's Friend Milhouse
01-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Gameplay. As long as the graphics are good enough not to make me dizzy

Markus. D
01-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Take for example, games made by Gust and Nippon Ichi (Disgaia, Atelier Iris, Phantom Brave, etc.) they look like high res Super Nintendo games with voice acting, yet they're well worth the effort into actually playing because they're fun. (not to mention funny as hell)

actually all of them are really low res games.

pixels EVERYWHERE.

but. they are cute graphics n_n so. they are awesome~

and funny~

and fun~

and it promotes Ub3rism :D