PDA

View Full Version : *Sigh* VIII or IX?

tidus_rox
01-20-2007, 05:49 AM
This question has been in my head since I have played them. Around this forum is see continual fights about "IX is better" or "VIII owns IX" etc etc. So people. If everyone votes here, there will be a final answer.

WHICH ONE IS BETTER VIII OR IX!?!?!?

aquatius
01-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Obviously IX. VIII is okay, but IX just rox my sox.

Aemilius Blight
01-20-2007, 07:38 AM
FFIX is only really flawed in regard to its battle system and lack of originality (the latter of which is only really an issue if you've played the classic FF games). FFVIII is flawed in pretty much every way except graphics.

So yeah, FFIX.

vorpal blade
01-20-2007, 07:46 AM
If everyone votes here, there will be a final answer.

You really think so? So naiive...

IX is better. I like VIII, but IX is just better in music, characters, story and geography.

Elpizo
01-20-2007, 09:16 AM
IX, but I enjoyed playing VIII too.

sirlaguna
01-20-2007, 11:16 AM
I like them both though my fav is FF IX

Slothy
01-20-2007, 01:40 PM
FFIX. I thought it had better gameplay, characters, story, villians, graphics, music. The whole shebang.

Laddy
01-20-2007, 02:03 PM
FFIX, VIII was good, but IX has a decent message for everyone, and I think those who haven't played it should go out and buy the game.

Vivisteiner
01-20-2007, 02:15 PM
VIII is amazing.

But IX is better. :)

In fact, IX is the best.

Dagga
01-20-2007, 03:14 PM
VIII is very good, love most of the characters barr Rinoa

IX was the first FF I bought. And it rocks. No question!

NeoCracker
01-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Just look at my Sig. IF you can't figure out from that you not only fail at the internet and life, but at existance itself.

Orophin
01-20-2007, 05:52 PM
FFIX hands down, it was a torture for me to finish FFVIII but I had to because I wanted to finish all the FF. :p II and X-2 were worse though...

Darth Anarcus
01-20-2007, 06:16 PM
What the hell? FF9 is winning? You people suck!

DarkLadyNyara
01-20-2007, 07:03 PM
FFIX. I thought it had better gameplay, characters, story, villians, graphics, music. The whole shebang.

NeoCracker
01-20-2007, 07:07 PM

Or perhaps my friend, we rock.

arcanedude34
01-20-2007, 07:25 PM
IX, w/o a doubt. Im just surprised that two people actually voted for eight and two people didnt know.

XxSephirothxX
01-20-2007, 08:03 PM
I really don't understand how people can not think this. VIII is just so horrible. :p

Bart's Friend Milhouse
01-20-2007, 08:54 PM
VIII >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.........................>>>>>>>>>> (EDIT:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>) IX

Darth Anarcus
01-20-2007, 08:58 PM
I really don't understand how people can not think this. VIII is just so horrible. :p
...You people do indeed suck. 8's so much better.:tongue:

BustaMo
01-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Final Fantasy IX for me. The intro to FFIX was my intro to the FF series, and of course it was a game I couldn't put down once I started playing. Loved every signle moment of the game.

FFVIII was close to my least favorite FF game, but still it wasn't a bad game overall. i'd rather play FFVIII than most other games, but as compared to other FF's, it just didn't live up to the competition.

FFIX FTW.

vorpal blade
01-20-2007, 10:28 PM
VIII's story was alright, but not that special. The characters were alright ('specially Zell) but again, nothing that makes me really like them. The draw system annoyed me, as did the fact that I can't even use items without a GF. The music was pretty good sometimes, but not as good as IX's. IX had more better music, interesting characters, humor, moogles, and a somewhat interesting story.

I said it before, and I won't retract my statement unless paid to. IX!

Darth Anarcus
01-21-2007, 02:06 AM
Especially Zell? That's funny because I personally had always viewed him as the biggest waste of character space, not changing at all (as most of them don't) and contributing absolutely nothing to the story, whereas most of the others contributed at least a little bit. Were it up to me, I'd have killed him off.

Martyr
01-21-2007, 02:34 AM
Boy who is not able satisfactorily to explain what a Hrung is, nor why it should choose to collapse on Betelgeuse Seven

Ashley Schovitz
01-21-2007, 02:42 AM
IX, but I enjoyed playing VIII too.

Psychotic
01-21-2007, 02:42 AM
FFIX. I thought it had better gameplay, characters, story, villians, graphics, music. The whole shebang.I'm gonna be someone else quoting this post. It sums it up perfectly.

NeoCracker
01-21-2007, 02:49 AM
...You people do indeed suck. 8's so much better.:tongue:

But According to the Book of Cz, you won't be returning to Cz but the Anti -Cz, AKA Jack Thompson. Can't argue with teh Book of Cz man, its true. Every last word of it. And you can't deny the truth my friend.

farplaner
01-21-2007, 09:55 AM
This question has been in my head since I have played them. Around this forum is see continual fights about "IX is better" or "VIII owns IX" etc etc. So people. If everyone votes here, there will be a final answer.

WHICH ONE IS BETTER VIII OR IX!?!?!?

You really think a poll is going to give this discussion any finality??

I chose not to answer the poll, because I like both of them equally for very different reasons. I mean, that's the reason (for me) to keep going back to them...they're none the same game.

vorpal blade
01-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Especially Zell? That's funny because I personally had always viewed him as the biggest waste of character space, not changing at all (as most of them don't) and contributing absolutely nothing to the story, whereas most of the others contributed at least a little bit. Were it up to me, I'd have killed him off.

It's been a while since I played the game, but I do remember Zell and Seifer bickering (that's the main reason I like him). Plus, he likes hot dogs and so do I.

lufia
01-22-2007, 03:10 AM
ix is the masterpiece of all final fantasies

Goldenboko
01-22-2007, 03:57 AM
FFIX of course. FFVIII was dry and dull by the time you got to the end because you could pwn anything that got in your way. It's story didn't help, it had depthless characters which fanboys and girls tried to overcomplicate (*cough*R=U *cough*). FFVIII had a pretty boy main character who they knew would win fans without any depth, FFIX had a funny likable character with a large amount of character depth and development.

All in all, IX>VIII, from personal expirence, all who deny this usually only liked FFVIII out of all FFs (not including VII they still usually like that).

ReloadPsi
01-22-2007, 07:31 AM
Well, this poll seems to be nominating FF8 as the black sheep of the series. TA didn't even get a look in. Man I hated that game.

arcanedude34
01-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, this poll seems to be nominating FF8 as the black sheep of the series. TA didn't even get a look in. Man I hated that game.

TA has better gameplay than eight. By the time you figure out the junction and GP systems, you've already died on the same boss so many times that you never want to see Squall's wanna-be emo face again.

Boring cast (only FF since II to feature all human-cast [technically Cecil was Lunarian and III doesn't really count]), unimaginative story, and frankly the worst grphics in any Final Fantasy to date (save X maybe)

Let me ask this- is there anyone in here who likes VIII more who's first FF wasn't VIII? The only way I can see ANYone liking VIII more is if they based their opinions for the rest of the Final Fantasy games on it. The other games are so different *coughbettercough* that VIII may have changed some people's views on the series.

Thats just my theory.

Rocket Edge
01-23-2007, 07:47 PM

Or perhaps my friend, we rock.
:smash:

VIII is by out and far the best FF.

IX, IV, V & X closely follow.

Darth Anarcus
01-24-2007, 04:58 AM
Let me ask this- is there anyone in here who likes VIII more who's first FF wasn't VIII? The only way I can see ANYone liking VIII more is if they based their opinions for the rest of the Final Fantasy games on it. The other games are so different *coughbettercough* that VIII may have changed some people's views on the series.
Yes, right here. FF7 was my first. I've completed FF1, FF7, FF8, FF9, FFX, FFX-2 and FF12, and so far FF8 still remains my favorite.

Ryth
01-27-2007, 04:29 PM
FFIX completely destroys VIII.

Ramza Beoulve
01-28-2007, 05:16 AM
I played FFVI and FFT before VIII, but I like more VIII than all others, except for FFT, that is my favorite Final Fantasy

.:kerrod:.
01-28-2007, 11:15 AM
in reply to a lot of people's remarks: FFTA was good, its a refreshing change to the normal FF (excluding FFT :p) and was worth playing, i must admit,however, that it got a little boring in the middle. FF8 was my first, but FFVII remains my favourite (i have only just started playing 9, so i cant make a fair choice) however, i mistook VIII for VII, so i accidently voted for it :riiight: X closely followed VII, and i maybe enjoyed it a LITTLE more because of the level up system and the graphics, etc.

EDIT: i own and have played VIII, just to let you know :)

Bolivar
01-28-2007, 11:33 PM
It's funny I used to prefer IX much more than VIII, and thought it was maybe the best until a recent playthrough when i realized it's more of a tribute to a series than it is actually one of the titles in it. It doesn't stand alone nearly enough as VIII does, which is really distinct from the others. Obviously the Draw system didn't play out as well as the creators thought, but someone with moderate knowledge of it can find the game fun.

I remember when it came out they billed it as The King of RPG's, and i thought that was blasphemy then but now I'm starting to understand it.

Frostwake
02-03-2007, 01:56 AM
It's funny I used to prefer IX much more than VIII, and thought it was maybe the best until a recent playthrough when i realized it's more of a tribute to a series than it is actually one of the titles in it. It doesn't stand alone nearly enough as VIII does, which is really distinct from the others. Obviously the Draw system didn't play out as well as the creators thought, but someone with moderate knowledge of it can find the game fun.

I remember when it came out they billed it as The King of RPG's, and i thought that was blasphemy then but now I'm starting to understand it.

*LONG POST AHEAD*

Bingo! FF IX is pretty good if you played the previous FFs and know about all the references, but on its own its pretty mediocre... Not to mention the superbosses are the worse ever except for Tantarian which in my opinion is the best FF boss ever, if fought on disk 2...

Since to me one of the biggest components of FF is challenge/fighting fun... I was horribly disappointed to know there isnt a single boss in FF IX that goes over 65 K hp.. its just lame.. yeah theres no 9999 hp breaker in this game, but all you need is 2 rounds to beat any boss assuming they dont kill anyone.. I always loved Emerald/Ruby/Omega fights because of the huge amount of hp that made them epic, unless you used cheap tricks like lucky seven or mimed omnislash/angermax, the fight was sure to last a few minutes...I hear many people saying Ozma is one of the hardest bosses in the series... Most luck based and pointless? Yes! Hardest? NO!

And Square was well aware of this since they pumped FF X bosses hp to the sky.. And having said this, the custom limit breaks of FF VIII also kicked major ass, specially Squall's and Irvine's.. you can argue that the limit system was borked because you could do it every round, but when the average lvl 100 monster had 60 K hp (malboros actually have 140 K), it was still fun as hell...

Also I never got why people say the junction system is so hard? ITs SO EASY to understand... it isnt any more complicated than FF V job system or whatever

Yet another point would be the card game... FF VIII card game owns, FF IX is pointless and stupid, AND based on how lucky you are to get decent arrows in the cards

Next, summons in FF IX are totally worthless, specially considering they are a major part of the plot.. When I first saw Ark I thought "damn this looks cool, I hope it is another 9999 breaker like Eden" ha! how wrong I was... I couldnt believe the 7500 damage after that huge animation

Last but not least, you get the best items way too late in the game in FF IX, late to the point that they are useless, including Hades synth shop.. Unless you go through memoria to get them and go back to the world map which is stupid, because if Im gonna go to the last dungeon it means I want to finish the game, not collect some item, which btw, with a 9999 cap and 50 k average boss hp, is pointless anyway... FF IX is a pretty good game for lvl 1 challenge though

So, story wise FF IX might be better, but gameplay wise FF VIII kicks it any time any day

For the record my favourite ff list is something like

FF VII/FF VIII -> FF V - > FFI/II -> FF IV and never played III

(why didnt I include VI in the list? I hate all the characters except for Terra, Celes and Edgar, plus it has a stupid "IM GONNA KILL ALL MUAHAHAHA" villain, one of the things I usually love about FF villains is that they have a point, instead of just being evil for being evil (and for the FF VII haters thats why sephiroth gets so much love, for being a villain that actually makes you go "he isnt all that bad, I wish we didnt have to kill him")

Ashley Schovitz
02-03-2007, 02:17 AM
IX is better, but I like them both. To the above VIII and IX's card game's were almost the same you just didn't understand what the symbols mean the only difference between the two is that the ruleswere changed in different regions in VIII and you could plcae your card anywhere.I agree that ozmna was only hard for my firts three tries, but my fourth when I figured out how to make the thing kill itself, it became almost as easy as Yu Yevon. IX was my first by the way.

Skyblade
02-03-2007, 02:47 AM
IX is better, but I like them both. To the above VIII and IX's card game's were almost the same you just didn't understand what the symbols mean the only difference between the two is that the ruleswere changed in different regions in VIII and you could plcae your card anywhere.I agree that ozmna was only hard for my firts three tries, but my fourth when I figured out how to make the thing kill itself, it became almost as easy as Yu Yevon. IX was my first by the way.

Wrong. FFVIII's card game was purely mathematical. FFIX's card game was based nearly entirely on your luck to determine the actual value of your cards.

silentenigma
02-03-2007, 04:54 AM
(why didnt I include VI in the list? I hate all the characters except for Terra, Celes and Edgar, plus it has a stupid "IM GONNA KILL ALL MUAHAHAHA" villain, one of the things I usually love about FF villains is that they have a point, instead of just being evil for being evil (and for the FF VII haters thats why sephiroth gets so much love, for being a villain that actually makes you go "he isnt all that bad, I wish we didnt have to kill him")

Kefka was not evil for no reason. He was the guinnea pig for a scientific experiment to alter humans. The process was not perfected at the time, and it caused his mental health to deteriorate. Kinda reminds me of Sephiroth....

And FFIX is best. EDIT: of the two.

Wolf Kanno
02-03-2007, 08:38 AM
FFVIII being more challenging than IX? The Junction system is broken, that's why the monsters had to have 65 k hp. There was no other way to get them to last past a single round. I never found the Junction system to be difficult to understand rather I found the system allowed me to build demi-gods from disc one onward. I never died in that game until I met Omega and he died after my second attempt. Not much of a challenge to me. IX was balanced not easy.

Hp isn't everything in a game. I'll agree that Ozmna was more luck than anything but it's not like previous uber bosses couldn't be taken down easily. (Ruby can be taken down in one round with the proper party and materia) Look at Pyrlaster in FFXII, HP wise, he's nothing to really worry about compared to Yiazmet or Omega Mark XIII but the fact he start one hit K.O.ing your characters halfway through the fight makes him one of the nastiest challenges in the game.

As for the debate itself. While I'm one to agree that IX gets alot of it's charm for being a homage I do feel it stands on it's own. I like VIII but I like IX better.

NeoCracker
02-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Actually, pretty much every FF Is easy. Except FF IV hard, FF V(Assuming you dont' do the cheap Mime trick or Coin Toss), and Tactics. While FF IX is also quite an easy Game, It was just fun to play. FF VIII was not. I don't really Base games on Difficulty so much as fun factor and Story. Though Hard Games do get bonus points.

Wolf Kanno
02-03-2007, 09:57 AM
That's true, ever since I got introduced to the MegaTen series, most RPG's are just ridiculously easy. But FFVIII makes it almost impossible not to be a demi-god. You're either so weak you can't win or you're a god. The real challenge with the Junction system is to try to be balanced.:rolleyes2

I like VIII for it's characters, especially Squall and Laguna. But overall I love FFIX cause they did everything almost right.

Kita
02-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I like them both, but FFVIII would be my favourite outta the two.

Vivisteiner
02-03-2007, 05:31 PM
*LONG POST AHEAD*

Bingo! FF IX is pretty good if you played the previous FFs and know about all the references, but on its own its pretty mediocre...

I disagree. FFIX was my first Final Fantasy, and I didnt know any of the references, but it is still my favourite.

FFIX - 99
FFX - 97
FFVIII - 94
FFVII - 94

Out of all the FFs Ive played, FFVIII is easiest. Especially on 2nd playthrough - If you bother to stock magics for about an hour, you'll be set for all the battles in the next 20 hours of the game.

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter too much which one you buy (you should buy both), but I would advise FFIX.

Odaisé Gaelach
02-03-2007, 05:45 PM
I hate them both, go die emo kid!!!

Angel Valentine
02-07-2007, 03:15 AM
I can't stand FFVIII. FFVII is my favorite, but FFIX comes in at an incredibly close 2nd.

Yes, it was very nostalgic, but even without the nostalgia, it was a great game <3

Setzer Gabianni
02-08-2007, 09:16 AM
FFIX of course. At least the characters had more going for them rather then that sad excuse for a main cast in FFVIII.

BarelySeeAtAll
02-08-2007, 06:35 PM
im not going tovote, but i will say (dont think any the less of me, 1) i only like one person, duh, and 2) its not my reason) there are better looking people on 8, but after watchin my cuz on both, i think 9 is more exciting and funny (she made it funny)

chrisfffan
02-08-2007, 06:51 PM
i liked FFIX it was fun but it still think of it as kiddies game the characters the story you knew actually what was going to happen.

jammi567
02-08-2007, 06:56 PM
VIII for sure! the characters realistic, the plot intricate (one you get your head around time travel), and the junction systen brilliant!

McLovin'
02-08-2007, 09:56 PM
8 for the win.

Setzer Gabianni
02-09-2007, 08:57 AM
i liked FFIX it was fun but it still think of it as kiddies game the characters the story you knew actually what was going to happen.

Isn't that like the same with every other Final Fantasy title?

crazybayman
02-09-2007, 04:43 PM
VIII.

Yeah, IX is a great game, and an awesome throwback to the classic FFs. And this is coming from somewhat of an "oldbie", who was addicted to FF1 back in the early days of the NES.

However, I loved the more "serious" feel to VIII, as it had a military theme, a great battle system, and my favorite music in the series.

Heero Yuy NWZC
02-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Both games have very good attributes to them that would make people lean more toward one then the other. FFVIII was very realistic in its use of government, characters, and so forth, making the world very close to our own but in a more futuristic sense. FFIX takes a more fictional spin with its many races and history. I liked the gameplay in both as well as the storylines, so I don't see one to be better than the other.

chrisfffan
02-09-2007, 08:10 PM

no, 7 and 8 weren’t like that some things you knew were going to happen but not everything and their was no stage in the game were i was shocked or moved by anything in FFIX.

Vivisteiner
02-10-2007, 02:05 PM
I actually think FFIX is far more realistic than FFVIII.

FFVIII has the worst love story ever. That was the worst thing about it for me. FFIX has no bad part. and even has some interesting insights into life as well as being very emotional. For me, more so that FFVIII or FFVII. ALthough FFX has plenty of emotion too.

Goldenboko
02-10-2007, 04:09 PM

no, 7 and 8 weren’t like that some things you knew were going to happen but not everything and their was no stage in the game were i was shocked or moved by anything in FFIX.

I don't know I was pretty surprised when....
A. We found lots of people that looked like Zidane on Terra
B. Kuja blew up Terra
C. Kuja came back to destroy Alexandria
D. Alexander, he was surprising on his own

VIII on the other hand, I had no idea what was going to happen because the storyline was odd, and seemed to be slapped together at the last moment.
VII- Meh, not many surprises, perhaps the death of Aeris would've surprised me if it hadn't been spoiled 9 billion times.

chrisfffan
02-11-2007, 11:27 PM

B. Kuja blew up Terra

VIII on the other hand, I had no idea what was going to happen because the storyline was odd, and seemed to be slapped together at the last moment.
VII- Meh, not many surprises, perhaps the death of Aeris would've surprised me if it hadn't been spoiled 9 billion times.

yea 8 was mad! that’s why i liked it the surprise in 7 was the flower girls death i really didn’t think they would kill off a main character.

Goldenboko
02-12-2007, 08:05 PM

B. Kuja blew up Terra

yea 8 was mad! that’s why i liked it the surprise in 7 was the flower girls death i really didn’t think they would kill off a main character.

Why not? They did it all the time before that. Oh, yeah, thats right.