PDA

View Full Version : Pan's Labyrinth

Germ Hamee
01-20-2007, 08:10 AM
I just got back from seeing Pan's Labyrinth, and it's one of the best fantasy films I've ever seen. It's a fairy tale crafted specifically for adults; presenting everything magical and imaginative one may miss from the Disney movie's of their childhood... but combined with the realistic brutality such idealistic fairy tale adaptions lacked.

If you haven't heard of it, check out the trailer on the website:
http://www.panslabyrinth.com/

Has anyone else seen it, or planning on it? What did you think?

XxSephirothxX
01-20-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm going to see it tomorrow night, or perhaps Sunday. I'm definitely looking forward to it; I've heard nothing but good reviews, and it looks absolutely fantastic. I was pretty thrilled to find out today it was coming out here in Athens. I thought it was going to be a very limited release and had resigned myself to seeing it on DVD.

Shoeberto
01-20-2007, 11:49 PM
I'd really like to see this. It looks like a good time.

Rye
01-20-2007, 11:53 PM
It looks great, I would love to see it.

GooeyToast
01-20-2007, 11:58 PM
I'll be seeing this tomorrow. Seems as if all of the most visionary directors have been coming from Mexico lately (del Toro, Cuarón, Iñárritu)

StarlightAngel
01-21-2007, 01:10 AM
...It's rated R? o_O

Looks interesting, but I'm wondering about the rating...

EDIT: Wiki'd it. I can see reasons why it might be R o.o

GooeyToast
01-21-2007, 01:11 AM
It's adult fantasy.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Wow...*checks to see if it is playing in Montreal*

EDIT: Might go to see it tonight, since I have nothing else to do.

It is only rated PG-13 here.

Roogle
01-21-2007, 01:29 AM
I'm not a big fan of the movie theater.

Necronopticous
01-21-2007, 01:30 AM
I saw it around the time when it first had its limited release.

I loved it. Guillermo del Toro needs to stick to dark adult fairy tales.

I love Ophelia.

Germ Hamee
01-21-2007, 01:44 AM

Really? o.O Wow. There were a lot of scenes in that movie were almost too much for me to handle. What exactly do they rate R there?

01-21-2007, 01:47 AM

Really? o.O Wow. There were a lot of scenes in that movie were almost too much for me to handle. What exactly do they rate R there?

I have no idea...

Also, I would like to thank you, since now I have something to do tonight. *goes off downtown*

Ashley Schovitz
01-21-2007, 02:04 AM
I didn't even know it's in theaters. It's not playing anywhere where I live.

krissy
02-04-2007, 02:29 AM
it was very good

Renmiri
02-04-2007, 02:56 AM
Sounds worth paying a babysitter for it :D

kikimm
02-04-2007, 07:41 AM
I went and saw it last night. It was a lot different than I thought it'd be, but I still liked it. The only thing I didn't enjoy was that I was sometimes afraid to keep my eyes open. It seems I can't handle much violence these days.

I loved the scene where Ofelia first used the chalk, though. That was so...I don't know. xD But it was awesome. GOT THE BLOOD PUMPING. Also, Mercedes was uber. Uber.

Roto13
02-04-2007, 07:31 PM
My friend saw it twice. He said the first time he felt like he was going to get sick at the violent parts. The second time he just focused on people's reactions to the violent parts. :P

black orb
02-05-2007, 10:08 PM
>>> oh, its out already..
anyways del Toro is my fav director so I know I will like this movie..

Araciel
02-06-2007, 12:19 AM
movies attain R ratings here for more sexual content than violence.

i was utterly annoyed with the praise this movie got after having seen it.

great effects, good story, good characters...i really can't explain why i just didn't like it as much as everyone else

Rostum
02-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Is it in Spanish with English subtitles? A weird question, I know. I really want to see this but I don't think it's coming out in Australia?

Germ Hamee
02-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah, it's Spanish with English subtitles. I have no idea if it's coming out in Australia or not... I looked around, but really don't know how to find such a thing out. Who knows, it might be playing in art houses right now?

Tasura
02-07-2007, 06:13 AM
I saw it last night, I really liked it, the whole baby eater and bottle face thing was awesome.

Mirage
02-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Saw it with my girlfriend today. It was rather different than what I had expected, but I think it was good.

I'm interested in how you guys interpreted the ending.

02-10-2007, 12:06 AM
I think it can be taken two ways. Either that it all really happened but adults cannot see it because they are too cynical or lost their innocence or what have you. Or it was simply a fantasy and over-active imagination of a girl who is trying to escape the harshness of her reality.

Araciel
02-10-2007, 12:11 AM
I think it can be taken two ways. Either that it all really happened but adults cannot see it because they are too cynical or lost their innocence or what have you. Or it was simply a fantasy and over-active imagination of a girl who is trying to escape the harshness of her reality.

agreed, as to me it's the entire point of the movie

Mirage
02-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Yes ofcourse, but what I meant was which one of those you believe in :p.

The mandragora thing was what made me lean towards the first of those two, because it was detectable by the others. The way she could use that door-making chalk to get into a room which was normally unavailable to her also seems to favour the first interpretation.

Rengori
02-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Same here. I just didn't know how to put it into words.

Germ Hamee
02-10-2007, 03:23 AM
Hmm... : I really don't know which way to go with this. It would be a little more "logical" to assume that everything was real, and the adults were simply blind to it. I doubt this theory only because of how the scene with the Captain and the mandragora were set up. Yeah, we saw the Captain holding and burning the mandragora... in a scene that was basically shot from Ofelia's point of view (I think). How do we know it wasn't a dead cat or something?

I need to see it again to pay closer attention to some of the details. I don't remember if any of the adults actually mentioned her mother getting better when Ofelia wasn't around. That will be the key for me. Until then, I'm going to assume it's an incredibly dark tale about a delusional child.

Mirage
02-10-2007, 11:45 AM
The doctor said he couldn't understand why, but her fever had gone down. This was almost instantly after Ophelia had placed the mandragora under her bed.

Shine On...
02-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Great movie, an awesome tale.

Bahamut, King of Dragons
02-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I am inclined to agree that it really did happen, all of it, even the ending, purely on the grounds that this movie is a fantasy. I, like many others, heard many good things about this movie. I liked it, but I felt a little like my expectations were not met. I suppose that's often the case when we place high expectations on things like this.

Tasura
02-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Well, at the end when the Captain was chasing here, the wall opened up for her to run through, yet the captain just saw the wall, that is what makes me think that half of the fantasy happened.