PDA

View Full Version : Safe Wii yet?

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-20-2007, 01:57 PM
so is it safe to buy a wii yet? i heard there isnt any bugs found on it yet, and i want to get a good version so it wont mess up in 2-5 years

is it safe for me to buy a wii yet?

Roto13
01-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah, the only problem with the Wii launch is that the wrist strap was kinda flimsy, so stupid people would whip their controllers at their TVs. Even that's been fixed in the new shipments, and you can get free replacement straps from Nintendo.

KentaRawr!
01-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Indeed, it is perfectly safe to get one at this time in that regard.

Dreddz
01-20-2007, 04:05 PM
For everything to be perfectly safe you would have to wait for a year or two, problems in consoles can turn up years after you buy them. Of course your not up to waiting a year, so at the moment, the Wii seems fine. I personally think the strap is fine.

MecaKane
01-20-2007, 04:37 PM
so is it safe to buy a wii yet? i heard there isnt any bugs found on it yet, and i want to get a good version so it wont mess up in 2-5 years

is it safe for me to buy a wii yet?

No, you're going to have to wait 2-5 years to see if there are any mass reports of Wiis breaking. No one here can tell the future, sorry.

Captain Maxx Power
01-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Maxx Power predicts: Despite initial manufacturing problems, Wii's will generally be very durable. However they will quickly become outclassed in terms of hardware. Popularity will ride primarily off "gimmick" games until two years into the console's lifetime, at which time development will begin focus on games that rely less and less on the Wii-mote's movement sensors.

Approximate lifetime of console : 5 to 7 years.

Erdrick Holmes
01-20-2007, 05:00 PM
The Wii is kinda safe to buy now. Just make sure you play Wii Sports with dry hands and HOLD ONTO THE DAMNED WIIMOTE.

Shoeberto
01-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Nintendo is generally good about making sure their consoles don't crap out on you. I'd say it's safe to get one (if you can find one, of course).

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-20-2007, 11:20 PM
I bought a Nintendo Wii three weeks ago and I haven't had any problems with it.

Shlup
01-21-2007, 01:28 AM
Since when has there ever had to be any caution when buying Nintendo products?

ljkkjlcm9
01-21-2007, 02:03 AM
yeah it's safe to buy, I just have to find one. Being in a college town, it's always sold out.

THE JACKEL

ReloadPsi
01-21-2007, 05:19 AM
Never, but you can always count on having to buy about three addons when a new game comes out.

rih29
01-21-2007, 06:21 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2006/12/14/nwii14b.jpg
All because of the Wii. No, it is never safe to get a Wii. You're going to hurt yourself no matter what. Even if you're wearing the wrist strap, you're going to get hurt or break something.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
01-21-2007, 06:49 AM
All because of the Wii. No, it is never safe to get a Wii. You're going to hurt yourself no matter what. Even if you're wearing the wrist strap, you're going to get hurt or break something.

I don't think that's true because I bought a Wii and I've been playing it for a few weeks now. I've been following the safety instructions and I haven't hurt myself while playing it.

I think the only reason why people have hurt themselves is because they're either not wearing the wrist strap or they're throwing their arms around like four year olds. The Wiimote responds to subtle motion you don't need to fling your arms about like a crazy person.

Shlup
01-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Never, but you can always count on having to buy about three addons when a new game comes out.
I only bought two add ons for my Cube: the GBA cable for Four Swords and FFCC, and the ethernet hookup for eight player Double Dash. And both were reasonably priced, and I thought well worth it.

So blarg to you.

Also, I don't know anyone who's hurt themselves playing Wii yet. Then again, I tend to avoid surrounding myself with morons.

Ouch!
01-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Of course the Wii isn't safe! Didn't year hear about that woman who drank two gallons of water and refused to pee and thus drowned herself trying to win a Wii for her three kids from a radio station. Those kids now have no mother!

In all seriousness, the Wii is fine. Just don't be a retard and you won't end up like all the other idiots who pop up online with broken television screens.

Rainecloud
01-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Yes, I can't imagine how people have managed to destroy their televisions.

It's perfectly safe to buy a Wii. So what are you waiting for?!

Mirage
01-21-2007, 10:48 PM
It was never unsafe for anyone, except people with neural disorders.

JKTrix
01-22-2007, 12:33 PM
There was an issue early on where the Wii crashed when you did the first online update. I was afraid to update mine when I got it, but mine is fine. Nintendo has been replacing the bricked Wiis though (as they should). The problem seems to have disappeared now.

Drift
01-22-2007, 04:13 PM

when they decide to release a better slimmer slightly upgraded version of it. :p
gamboy > gamboy pocket/colour, GBA > GBA SP, DS > DS Lite

Roto13
01-22-2007, 04:29 PM

when they decide to release a better slimmer slightly upgraded version of it. :p
gamboy > gamboy pocket/colour, GBA > GBA SP, DS > DS Lite

True. :P They don't generally do that for consoles, though. Any redesigned consoles they've released have just been prettier looking with no real new features. In a few years they might release a Wii that fits on the head of a pin, but you can be pretty confident that that's all it'll do differently.

NeoCracker
01-22-2007, 06:02 PM

I don't think that's true because I bought a Wii and I've been playing it for a few weeks now. I've been following the safety instructions and I haven't hurt myself while playing it.

I think the only reason why people have hurt themselves is because they're either not wearing the wrist strap or they're throwing their arms around like four year olds. The Wiimote responds to subtle motion you don't need to fling your arms about like a crazy person.

About that, the guy you quoted was being Sarcastic.

I hope.

Roto13
01-22-2007, 06:17 PM
"That guy" was Genji. :P He's always sarcastic.

Odaisé Gaelach
01-22-2007, 07:31 PM
I haven't heard of any problems with the Wii yet.

Mind you, I had a Game Boy Advance and it kept scratching my CDs, so caution could be advised...

Zeldy
01-22-2007, 07:37 PM
I have dropped the wiimote a few times during Wii sports, but I AM clumsy and I don't wear the wrists strap (IT TICKLES :( ) Personally, I laughed when I heard about the people who's Wiimotes ended up stuck in their TVs xD

escobert
01-22-2007, 08:01 PM
I haven't heard of any problems with the Wii yet.

Mind you, I had a Game Boy Advance and it kept scratching my CDs, so caution could be advised...

Your GBA scratched your CDs? wtf?:confused:

ljkkjlcm9
01-22-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm getting fed up, I call the stores in the area daily, and they say they don't know when the next shipment is coming, then somedays I call twice and they say, "Sorry we just sold out." WTF!!!

THE JACKEL

Madame Adequate
01-22-2007, 08:46 PM

Since Humans developed critical discernment?

NorthernChaosGod
01-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Nintendo has a much better reputation with sending out quality products at launch than the other companies.

Shlup
01-23-2007, 06:10 AM

Since Humans developed critical discernment?

I hate you.

fantasyjunkie
01-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Nintendo has a much better reputation with sending out quality products at launch than the other companies.

OMG this is so true.