PDA

View Full Version : Back in the day

smilejb
01-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Just wondering, back in the day when FFVII was new, did anyone besides me just give up on learning about materia and got pretty far?

Because I remember my first time playing through, I knew crap for materia. Let me put it this way, I never put any materia on anyone until some time after I left mdgar >_>. So I'm wondering, am I the only stupid person to do that? >_> (I mean literally, cloud had only his 2 magics, aeris had her restore. I was wondering why those 2 are the only ones that could do magic).

Though, those were the only times that I actually used the grenade item.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
01-20-2007, 08:17 PM
DON'T DIS THE GRENADES!!!

on my first playthru i did use materia from the start, but not the any advanced level. and i missed a vast majority of the best ones (contain, w-item, mime, quadra magic, KotR, the vast majority of the contents of north cave). in fact the only support materia i used was all :D

thegirth
01-20-2007, 09:00 PM
i didnt really either, EX. i often had "all" equiped by itself on a single slot, so your not the only stupid one here if i may say

Levian
01-20-2007, 09:38 PM
You're not the only one. :D Reading English was hard enough in itself back then. I started using it in the shinra headquarters since I kept dying there, but it took a while for me to use it very well. I didn't use the blue ones for a while after that, though. :p

ReloadPsi
01-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Man, the first time I ever had Barret cast Ice was immensely novel.

vorpal blade
01-20-2007, 10:20 PM
I don't think I had a problem with it. Sure I got better as time went on and started simple, but I alway understood it.

cloud21zidane16
01-20-2007, 10:33 PM
i found an old memroy card the other day and it had some really really old ff files on them , i loaded the ff7 ones and WOW:mog: were they terrible, low levels, materia equipped all wrong like an all on its own
shocking really:eek:

thegirth
01-21-2007, 12:57 AM
ahh the good old daiyes

Psychotic
01-21-2007, 01:09 AM
I barely used materia the first time I played it. When Aeris automatically joins your party before Temple of the Ancients, I didn't even think to give her any before going in, and I ended up getting absolutely raped by Demon's Gate, no matter what I did. Had to restart.

thegirth
01-21-2007, 10:21 AM
yeah, i hate it when :skull::skull::skull::skull: like that happens, in FF8 i trapped my self on lunatic pandora tottaly low leveled

ReloadPsi
01-21-2007, 05:45 PM
yeah, i hate it when :skull::skull::skull::skull: like that happens, in FF8 i trapped my self on lunatic pandora tottaly low leveled
Rendering Adel completely impossible to defeat. Damn, that was one tough boss!

Timster
01-21-2007, 06:48 PM
You know, my materia skills my first time through were...pretty much non-existent, but I actually survived, probably because I put as many materia I could on each character having no idea what it meant besides the fact that it did something good.

THE JUNCTION SYSTEM ON THE OTHER HAND! now thats something I didn't even use! My first playthrough, I missed Quezacotl and Shiva, didn't know you could draw GF's so I missed Siren, and I basically had no idea what the system was for. I thought the game was comepletely ridiculous, then I got good...:p

thegirth
01-21-2007, 06:53 PM
yeah, set me back 3 or 4 discs (i forgot when you fought adel)

smilejb
01-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Nice, lol. I remember sitting there wondering "what does all do?"
"I don't know, put it by itself so that it doesn't mess any of the other materia up"
"meh, sure why not."

It may be stupid, but even though it wasn't on anything, we still got an all mastered the first time through :-D. Which was great for selling, and then buying hp plus, lol

thegirth
01-21-2007, 07:45 PM
from what i hear all of us had all on its own, i kept messin with it, eventually i got it on cure in like late disc 2 i was like "hey come check this out, there is a red arrow next to regen, and i can use it on everybody"

Timster
01-21-2007, 07:56 PM
I remember thinking that "All", meant that it raised all your stats. Since it said that blue materia had to be paired to work, I did just that, I paired 2 All materias.

ReloadPsi
01-21-2007, 09:12 PM
And then that reminds me: I once paired two Enemy Skill materia in the hopes they'd absorb each other's spells. No such luck.

smilejb
01-22-2007, 03:28 AM
I thought regen was evil because it turned you red >_>. The weapon that came after midgar, I cast regen on that huge thing.

vorpal blade
01-22-2007, 03:41 AM
from what i hear all of us had all on its own, i kept messin with it, eventually i got it on cure in like late disc 2 i was like "hey come check this out, there is a red arrow next to regen, and i can use it on everybody"

I remember thinking that "All", meant that it raised all your stats. Since it said that blue materia had to be paired to work, I did just that, I paired 2 All materias.

At least it wasn't alone!

ReloadPsi
01-22-2007, 03:43 AM
I thought regen was evil because it turned you red >_>. The weapon that came after midgar, I cast regen on that huge thing.
Bloody hell! How long did it take you to beat it?!

smilejb
01-22-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm not really sure, lol. Maybe when I play the game again, I'll make all the boss monsters harder once I get regen. See how much longer it takes to beat them all. :-D.

What I do know is, I actually did beat it when it had regen on, lol. The first time I tried, I didn't cast it. Then thought, what the heck, maybe regen is like berserk or something.

Roger Belmont
01-22-2007, 10:04 PM
I always equip bart with my fire materia I bought from grandpa at midgard. Even to this day on my file from 97 he still has that maranta equiped. although before I was a great experienced at it, i didnt know about the matara. :cool::cool::cool:

smilejb
01-22-2007, 10:10 PM
I remember buying the materia, but just leaving it in my inventory because I had no idea how to use it.

Cledarius
01-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Me too, buying materia and leave it right there.

I also remember that demon-gate-pain-in-the-ass-boss. Didn't see that Bahamut materia (which is very useful in that fight) and tried to fight the gate just with normal attacks. I lost every time. I thought demon gate was some ultimate boss and didn't fight it and trained till my chars were lv. 65. Took me countless days to do so. Then i beated the gate and wondered why the bosses after that were so weak.

SetoChaos
01-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Made sense to me, I worked it out, took a bit. But I did do it first game file and still in Midgar before Shinra Building.

Yuffie514
01-29-2007, 06:00 AM
i do not remember, but learning how to acquire new magic, etc, was never hard to begin with...