PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating Experiences with Technology

Jessweeee♪
01-20-2007, 08:54 PM
What's your worst?

I'm trying to write a fanfiction right now, and am coming across the following problems:

1. Parents don't let me use our main computer during the week (so I type the story up on my laptop and try to transfer it to here)
2. If they did allow me, I still couldn't due to the lack of privacy.

Laptop Issues~
3. My laptop resets a lot, the frequency of it depending on my power source. If I use my battery, it never does, but the battery is old and lasts ten minutes before I plug in the A/C adaptor, resetting the computer.
4. The disc drive is screwy, so I can only use floppies or memory sticks.
5. I don't own any memory sticks (I can't even be sure they will work).
6. I don't have the money to BUY a memory stick.
7. The main computer doesn't take floppies.

I should mention the laptop has a grand total of 5GB, free and used combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~

My mp3 player acts funny too.

So....I'm saving up for the memory stick (probably just to find that it won't work on my craptastic laptop).

Renmiri
01-20-2007, 10:34 PM
My laptop resets a lot too :(

Madonna
01-20-2007, 11:21 PM
I have issues with programs or scripts that try to be intuitive and help out with coding. No, that is not what I meant, you stupid program.

I interface with most technology with ease. However, I learned today that I do not fare well with decorating bags; my attempt to pipe the filling for stuffed potatoes back into the skins did not go well by any measure. I probably could have mashed the broccoli better and it would have been fine.

Shoeberto
01-20-2007, 11:52 PM
In Order:
1) Left the cooling unit off of a CPU. Blew it up.
2) Unwittingly blew up the replacement CPU. I don't even know how.
3) Shorted out my motherboard when moving it to a new case by not putting in risers.
4) Used the PSU that came with said case that had a bad fan that rattled; usually stopped rattling after being smacked a lot. Long story short, the fan had a short life. As my friend so eloquently put it, "Your PSU erupted in a burst of light, sound and liquid hot magma." (it happened at a LAN party to much entertainment)
5) Installing Ubuntu 6.06, I tried to partition my drives using the installer's tool. I wasn't aware of the difficulties it had resizing NTFS partitions. All of my data (I would say three or four years worth at least) was lost.

The first three were admittedly because I was a nub. Number four was just poor hardware manufacturing and five was the fault of buggy software getting included in a final release.

At least I learn something with every mistake like those.

Renmiri
01-21-2007, 02:57 AM
losing 4 years worth of data - check
short circuiting a mother board - check
blowing up a CPU w/o having a clue how - check

S*** Happens

Dr Unne
01-21-2007, 03:42 AM
Computers are frustrating even if you know what you're doing. There's no getting around it.

I have to use Windows at work. That's a daily lesson in pain-tolerance itself. MS SQL Server was designed by deranged sadistic drugged-up gorillas.

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-21-2007, 03:46 AM
Get a job, save up your dough and get a $1000 + laptop.

Ki Ki
01-21-2007, 04:43 AM
My laptop talks to me. Sometimes it's like I want to strangle it AAARG.
But it just won't shutup ... :aimsad:

Laddy
01-21-2007, 04:59 AM
My laptop hates me.

rubah
01-21-2007, 05:12 AM
I'm terrible with cell phones. I couldn't remember the little number to access my voice mail until this morning when I woke up and had an idea for what it might be. I also cannot push the buttons for the life of me.

oh, semirelated fun fact; despite spending about 1/4 of my time on them, I am not particularly known at school for being a computer geek outside my circle of friends, probably because the last computer class I took was in eighth grade. I just don't need them.

k so back to technology I have failed with. Trying to use command line programs usually gets me in tears or tears, depending if my eyes or my hair is the subject. Trying to learn stuff such as PHP is nearly impossible for me, because all the little snippets and tutorials are written with the "oh let's open the chest with the key inside!" mentality, which gets very frustrating.

I pretty much fail at social networking also, but I can't really blame that on technology.

tech stuff usually treats me pretty well though. I think the golden rule usually applies with computers. They respond best to youthful enthusiasm and TLC. Fear or disdain makes them stubborn and stoic.

Christmas
01-21-2007, 05:24 AM
The Doraemon I brought doesn't have 1337 itemz in his pocket. :(

Quindiana Jones
01-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Penile electricution.

Ben
01-21-2007, 01:34 PM
I was mad at my gameboy advanced...so I bashed my head into it...and the screen broke. So my parents bought me a brand new....SP!
(they were new at the time)

karas
01-21-2007, 07:28 PM
my bro got mad with my old computer and started jumping on it...it was so funny, i get mad with my computer cos its so slow

Jebus
01-21-2007, 07:33 PM
My case fan rattles sometimes. And when I ordered my large storage drive, I forgot to buy the cables for it.

Other than that, I have no trouble with technology. Machines love me.

Roto13
01-21-2007, 07:38 PM
My router/modem is a piece of :skull::skull::skull::skull:.

Odaisé Gaelach
01-21-2007, 11:27 PM
I have a friend who has a laptop that overheats on him often. He asked me about it, and I installed Speedfan on it. It reported that Temp1 was at 71° C. So I don't trust Speedfan very much.

I can't install Linux on my computer, because of my nVidia RAID. Windows doesn't make me jump through hoops to get it installed, why should Linux?

Mirage
01-21-2007, 11:36 PM
SMB network shares in linux :( I never claimed to be all that good at linux, but I sort of assumed that an operating system that filled up an entire DVD would include proper tools to configure Samba without having to resort to editing .conf files, guess I was wrong.

Other than that, zomg none :p.

My case fan rattles sometimes. And when I ordered my large storage drive, I forgot to buy the cables for it.

Other than that, I have no trouble with technology. Machines love me.
That's because you are a machine.

Martyr
01-22-2007, 12:21 AM
Yo, Sock! Use a friggin pencil!
------------------

Anyhow, I do very poorly with trannys. I cut my hand open working on one a few months ago, and, frankly, they all just suck and blow up and crap, and EVERYBODY else is also bad with them, so it isn't like I can get anybody else to fix the crap better than me.

Jojee
01-22-2007, 12:31 AM
My laptop overheats and then turns off randomly all the time :(

Next year I'll get a new computer... Dx

Bart's Friend Milhouse
01-22-2007, 12:33 AM

If my sister were a member she'd quote this

Mirage
01-22-2007, 12:37 AM
You could also give it to some tech geekie and ask him to fix it for you. I'm sure any nerdy boy would love to help you~

Reles
01-22-2007, 03:16 AM
I've been having problems with my Internet lately. Our port keeps being disabled at random times, so we have to call the fixer guys to get it working. It was down yesterday, but magically started working later on. It's weird.

Odaisé Gaelach
01-22-2007, 04:58 AM

One can of compressed air and a pack of cotton buds... perhaps you could clear out some of the dust that's accumilated around the vents?

Araciel
01-22-2007, 05:48 AM
i was churning butter once and i broke the handle

Xaven
01-22-2007, 06:02 AM
Apparantly, I am a machine as well. :o Machines fix themselves as I walk into the room.

Bunny
01-22-2007, 06:11 AM
My motherboard fried itself and my computer would shut off at random intervals and then start beeping very loudly and in an annoying rhythm. I called the company and they sent me a box to send back to them with my computer in it. I did this within a day because I need my computer in order to do certain important things.

A week later I recieved a message on my cell phone at work that said they had recieved my computer and were working on it as they spoke. Getting to the bottom of the problem, if you will.

A week later I called them to check the status of my computer because I had no word of what was going on. The answer I recieved was as follows, "We have recieved your computer but the part needed for repair is not in stock. We have ordered a shipment of the part and they should arrive in two or three business days. Your computer will be sent back to you within a day or two of the shipment arrival."

I said "Okay, thanks." And decided everything was good, I hadn't a need to worry.

A week later I called back and asked where my computer was. They still hadn't gotten around to working on it, and they hadn't even ordered the shipment. The answer I got was that "They needed to order parts in the thousands, so they couldn't just order it right away." I told them what I had been told a week earlier and then demanded to speak with a manager. I got the information and called him.

We had a verbal argument about the entire ordeal which ended up with me being promised my computer would be back within a week. If not, I was instructed to give the manager a call directly.

A month later I recieved my computer. For my troubles, I got a free stick of ram and promises that it wouldn't happen again.

Before starting up my computer, I noticed two very long, and new, scratches on the case of my laptop. Ignoring these, I booted up my computer and noticed two problems immediately:

1. My sound no longer worked.
2. My hard drive had been completely wiped, nobody had told me this would happen even though I suspected it would.

So I called the manager up again, told him these things, and a few days later I had my computer back in the shop.

This is a condensed version of this story, as the entire thing takes place over a four month time frame.

Lesson Learned: Do not shop with Hewlett-Packard. They do not have good customer service.

This isn't a technology problem, I suppose. More of a Customer Service nightmare. But hey, it is about a computer.

Rosenti
01-22-2007, 10:50 AM
My pc is so damn bad, not its hardware. It wont ever install some of my newest games, and it resets often on its own! AAaaaAH!