PDA

View Full Version : DS RPGs

KoShiatar
01-21-2007, 11:52 AM
I am the proud owner of a shiny-shiny brand new jet-black Nintendo DS Lite, which, to my boyfriend's desperation, I acquired with Yoshi's Island DS (he tested it and can't bear to see it anymore. He offered to show me all the secret levels, though.)
I want to play RPG's and graphic adventures on it, but I can't think of any specifically DS-oriented now, except for Children of Mana and FF III (I know that there must be plenty, so shame on me.) Any news or suggestions?
Suggestions for Game Boy Advance games will also obviously be accepted. And if you think that a game is a must-have even if it is not an RPG (like Another Code or the like) please signal it to me. Thank you!

(Oh, if there already was a similar thread, please forgive me. I could not find it. :( )

Aemilius Blight
01-21-2007, 12:00 PM
DS has a great range of RPGs....coming soon. Really, the only decent RPG out for it at the moment that has unanimously good reviews is Final Fantasy III.

If you want a decent game with a few minor RPG elements though, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow is beyond excellent.

aquatius
01-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Gba:
Golden Sun & Golden Sun: The lost Age. Get them. Now.

Endless
01-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Magical Starsign, Mario & Luigi Partners in Time on DS, Sword of Mana on GBA, FFIV & FFV A on GBA

ama124
01-21-2007, 04:17 PM
The only DS rpg i know of that is good from what i've heard is FFIII. My friend has it and she likes it alot. I have yet to recieve my ds (its out of stock everywhere near me since dec.)

But for GBA rpg's i would def. recomend both Golden Sun & Golden Sun: the lost age. They are both very good games

Vermachtnis
01-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Contact
Digimon World DS
Final Fantasy III
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

NeoCracker
01-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Though I'm probably going to be the only one who suggests this, Lunar: Dragon Song.

vorpal blade
01-22-2007, 03:45 AM
GBA: Golden Sun 1&2. FFV. FFVI comes out in the States soon.

escobert
01-22-2007, 03:52 AM
FFIII, Children of Mana, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for GBA.

JKTrix
01-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Lunar pissed me off. Lose HP for running? Gah. I like Lost Magic, though. I started playing it again a couple of weeks ago, I think I'm almost finished. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl is coming out in April in the US.

For Non RPG variants:
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For all.
Hotel Dusk Room 215--comes out today in the US, looks good. Made by the same folks who did Another Code/Trace memory. Adventure game

Upcoming RPGs (US release unknown)
Luminous Arc (http://www.gamebrink.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12645)
Heroes of Mana (http://www.gamebrink.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12908) (with WiFi! Children of Mana would've been much more enjoyable for me with WiFi)
Tales of the Tempest
FF12 Revenant Wings (http://www.gamebrink.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13056) (trailer) (http://www.gamebrink.com/nintendo-ds/news/766-Final_Fantasy_XII_Revenant_Wings_Trailer.html)
FF Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (http://www.gamebrink.com/nintendo-ds/news/771-Final_Fantasy_Crystal_Chronicles_Ring_of_Fates_Jump_Festa_Trailer.html)

And Dragon Quest IX, naturally.

There are more, but these are the more high profile ones/the ones I'm looking forward to more. Luminous Arc looks freakin' sexy. NIS on my DS? Yes plz (not sure if it's made by NIS though it looks a little like their style)

Laddy
01-22-2007, 12:50 PM
One Word: Contact.

I haven't played it yet, but I hear it's great. Also, FFIII also knocks off just about every DS RPG out there.

JKTrix
01-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Holy crap, I forgot Lunar Knights. I'm reeeeaally looking forward to that one.

Contact isnt' that great, and neither is FF3. FF3 is probably the best *looking* RPG, but that doesn't change the fact that it is otherwise a 17 year old game. Contact's thing is its quirkyness and fairly unique gamestyle. It's not bad at all, and it's worth getting. Final Fantasy 3's big thing is that it never came out in the US. Hmm, I wonder why that is.... oh yeah, it wasn't that good. I got it mostly for collector's sake, but I probably won't play it again. Both are worth getting for other reasons.

Just didn't want to get your hopes up for those games, go in without expectations and you'll be fine.

Aemilius Blight
01-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Final Fantasy 3's big thing is that it never came out in the US. Hmm, I wonder why that is.... oh yeah, it wasn't that good.
It was heads and tails above FFI (and most other NES RPGs), at the very least.

The quality of the game was not the reason it was never released in the US so much as it was due to the NES being a dieing system.

JKTrix
01-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I know it was a little too late for the NES. Just that in retrospect, later games are (understandably) better. Just like your FF3>FF1 example. If gameplay enhancements were made to FF3, it would stand up better--but then again it wouldn't be FF3. Like I mentioned, it's a great collection piece and DS graphics showcase, but it's not something I enjoy playing.

To add more to the topic: Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. Perhaps Portrait of Ruin as well.

lufia
01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
yeah ff3 tho a good game is showing its age. don't expect too much of it and you be fine, however if your a super old school u enjoy it heaps.

advance wars ds is the best game for ds atm!