PDA

View Full Version : A Cure for Ills

Chemical
01-21-2007, 01:38 PM
After waking up from the worst four hours of sleep I've ever had I find myself doubled over cuddled in a blanket coughing and sipping a ginger lemon tea.

After cursing the Gods and screaming out WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? I stopped to consider what home remedies there might be to a sore throat and cough.

My conclusion has been lots of tea, oranges, vix vapour rub, riccola echinecha cough drops and an old family traditional meal called "sicky eggs."

What kind of home remedies/traditions do you have when you're ill.
(Any reccomendations for a sore throat?)

Rye
01-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Just cough drops and gargling with salt water, really. I'm actually extremely surprised I haven't gotten strep throat ONCE this year so far. I' usually get it two or three times + bronchitis and maybe pnuemonia in the winter. *knock on wood*

Feel better! :]

Old Manus
01-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Medieval cures are the 'in' thing nowadays, I hear.

Christmas
01-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Making NANNY MANUS cry seems to be the cure for all my illness. :bigsmile:

Renmiri
01-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Mom's chicken soup :)

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-21-2007, 05:54 PM
I read once for upper respiratory problems to make tea from thyme, though I never tried it. Most of the time, I just wait it out, not taking anything but trying to eat.

Citizen Bleys
01-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Medieval cures are the 'in' thing nowadays, I hear.

Get out the leeches!

Jowy
01-21-2007, 07:39 PM
With a sore throat, I'll drink a lot of honey-lemon tea. And my grandmother always used to make me eat a small amount of Vicks VapoRub too. Hey, it worked.

Quindiana Jones
01-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Sore throat:
Boil water.
Put salt in cup.
Let water cool enough so that it doesn't burn your mouth. Add to cup and dissolve salt in. Very lots salt, very little water.
Gargle for 30 seconds until cup is empty. Don't swallow.

Strider
01-21-2007, 07:51 PM
If you're feelin' like you're gonna be sick, Sprite/7-Up/Sierra Mist works wonders in quelling that.

Gabranth
01-21-2007, 08:00 PM
if you feel like you're starting to get a sore throat, drink some lemon juice. you'll feel it burning away the grossness in your throat. it's always worked for me.

and if you're really desperate, drink vinegar. i've never done it.

Psychotic
01-21-2007, 08:33 PM
I've always favoured ritual suicide. All your aches and pains will disappear instantly, guaranteed! Admittedly it does have a side-effect, namely being dead, but hey, nobody lives forever.

theundeadhero
01-21-2007, 08:54 PM
When taken with kool-aid, Psychotic's method can be very pleasant.

Faris
01-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Kool-aid makes everything better!

I just take the proper medication, if there is some or lay in bed until I'm cured.

Yamaneko
01-21-2007, 09:40 PM
I usually stick with the tea-soup-rest trio for the common cold/flu.

fire_of_avalon
01-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Warm olive oil is good to pour in your ear for ear aches, apparently. If you don't have olive oil, you can use urine! That's what my aunt tried to get me to do once.

Jess
01-21-2007, 10:35 PM
I always drink lots of cold water, energy drinks and eat cream of chicken soup!

and sleep lots. :jess:

Miriel
01-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Vicks VapoRub is MAGIC. That stuff saves me every time I get sick. Plus, Halls Honey Lemon cough drops are wonderful. Without them I would probably die from coughing and hacking so much. And lots and lots of honey tea is good.

Rinion
01-22-2007, 08:58 AM
A shot of quicksilver will do the trick. If you don't live in Mississippi, then 200 proof Vodka is the next best thing. :)

Deborah
01-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Hmmm I got my tonsils removed last winter...ahh no more sore throats for me! But I agree tea and honey is awesome and also sleep is always a welcomed solution to any problem!

yumi
01-22-2007, 11:40 AM
As follows:

1 Lemsip (the drink form not the tablets)
A bit of honey
Loads of whiskey or brandy, depending on your preference

Mix together in a mug and enjoy. Been having this remedy since I was a kid and it works wonders, especially if your having trouble sleeping when your ill.

:kaoyatta:

Quindiana Jones
01-22-2007, 09:04 PM
I usually stick with the tea-soup-rest trio for the common cold/flu.

Men don't get common flu. We always get the possibly fatal Man Flu, that's like having period pains on your sinuses. Duh.

Madame Adequate
01-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Milk & honey.

Edit: for trouble sleeping, as yumi says, a bit of tipple can do wonders.

Wolf Kanno
01-22-2007, 10:32 PM
A special home remedy;) It's a liquid diet, you drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated and your body strong, hot green tea to kill all the bacteria and two shots of whiskey in the morning and two more before you go to bed, in order to burn away everything else. Guaranteed to cure you of any cold...

sephirothishere
01-24-2007, 09:02 PM
DAMMIT CHEMICAL!!!!I TOLD YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD DO!!!?!??! >:O
so anyways....uh...ya..vodka kills germs.....
uh....also...hot water. ..honey....lemon or orange juice....and some whiskey..but the last part is optional.....its nice and tasty either way :D....so....do that....and drinkin soft drinks is always good when you are ill....or soem good ole homeopathy...NEVER EVER TAKE ANTIBIOTICS!!!DOCTORS ARE BAAAADDDDD!!!!!!?!?!?

Moon Rabbits
01-24-2007, 09:34 PM
I use Vicks Vaporub and sleep all day. Nicitran or whatever works wonders. I chew garlic periodically if I have a cold or congestion, and if your nose is plugged hardxcore, boil some water and but teatree oil in it, then put a towel your head and inhail the steam.

Don't put your face too close to the water though :bigsmile:

Mitch
01-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Sometime's a good ol' bake up can do the trick!

Sometimes it just makes it worse, though.

No.78
01-24-2007, 09:56 PM
PURE MANLINESS AND TOLERANCE

Or some tranquilizers.