PDA

View Full Version : Why is sex virtually taboo in some countries?

Peter_20
01-21-2007, 04:08 PM
I've always wondered why some cultures seem extremely shy to the whole subject sex.
I mean, personally I think sex is one of the most natural activities in existence; besides, it's the most adorable form of love you can think of, and it's a lot about team-work and mutual feelings and everything.
To put it short, sex is totally wonderful in all aspects.
Still, some cultures seem afraid to talk about it, as if it were something "bad".
Some people even deny that they masturbate.
We are all perverts to some degree (possibly with the exception of the asexual individuals), and we all have naughty fantasies and sexual fantasies about other people.
So, why is it that sex is so taboo in some countries?

Martyr
01-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Because sex is very personal, and, like anything else that involves personal things, sex is also a very quiet and tabbo kind of... thing.

Of course it's wonderfula dn all that stuff, but it just isn't anything to talk too much about all the time, because sexual fantasies/activities between two people are private things. At least, in my life they are.

Also though, sex is very delicate work, because it affects all emotions, and can hurt people if it is used incorrectly. Masturbation, adultery, and generally sleeping around can cause peoblems for a person. So, since we know what is safe and right, there isn't much to talk about there. When we do things that are a little shady, sexually, then the privateness of it is also more of a secret that requires being kept from much talk. Certainly nobody wants to hear about somebody masturbating all the time, that's not cool, or sleeping around, because STDs aren't cool, or cheating, because striking your wonderful lovers to the heart with your cruel betrayal is also uncool, respectively.

And so it isn't really a decent topic of discussion. I also find it a rather boring topic of discussion, UNLESS we're talking about all the bad things which, of course, nobody wants to talk about because it's bad.

Which is why I get my non-taboo other-people's-sex entertainment from movies, usually comedy. (Romance novels don't do anything for me. I think they're written like crap)

Renmiri
01-21-2007, 04:24 PM
When you undress for sex you do it body and soul. You let your partner see your imperfections, inhibitions, your human frailty. You make yourself vulnerable to hurt and to disease. You may be doing something that will have consequences throughout the rest of your life (pregnancy).

Sex is natural but it is also a very significant act on your life. Some taboo encourages people to wait till they are ready. Too much taboo makes a lot of people nutty and spoils sex for many.

Ki Ki
01-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I know that for my culture it's more like a classiness thing.
Like girls that sleep around are considered a lower class sort of thing and no will want to marry you. :3

I wouldn't say it's taboo in my country but it's definitely something that isn't taken very open minded like it is over here.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-21-2007, 05:58 PM
What countries are you referring to?

Also, I think I will go with Foucault in this one and say that sex was not suppressed or became taboo, it is just it started to permeate differently within Western culture. There is a myth of sex being completely tabooed and not talked of coming of the Victorian age, rather Foucault argues that it is just how it is talked about is different. Rather than that, there was an explosion, though in how it was talked about as less obvious at times. *is basing this off of memory from last year*

Miriel
01-21-2007, 06:09 PM
I would never use the word "adorable" to describe sex. And I'd say that it's a big mistake to say that "sex is totally wonderful in every aspect". That's not true at all. I'm pretty sure that sex slaves at the very least would disagree with that point.

I'm not really sure which cultures you're referring to, but in America at least, sex itself is not taboo, talking about it openly kinda is though. Lots of people, everywhere are having sex. It's just when it shows up in popular culture that people start getting uppity about it. But even in America, sex and sexuality is pretty prevalent in mainstream media.

Yuna_wannabe
01-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Baha i have no clue all i know is here in Newfoundland it seems like thats all my group talks about.

Also i think here at least if you have had sex, you dont talk abot it because your looked at differently. Like Ki ki said it shows classiness.

I guess its "taboo" when it comes to talking about it because its something thats happens behind closed doors thats part of your personal life. People find it uncomfortable to talk about. Sex to be honest is something i guess that can be considered sacred and should only be shared with someone you love.

its honestly a good qestion...your gonna have me thinking bout that all day..

Dr Unne
01-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Still, some cultures seem afraid to talk about it, as if it were something "bad".

There's a difference between bad and private.

Dreddz
01-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Your mind is several decades in the past, nowadays sex isnt taboo in any countries.

Yuna_wannabe
01-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Um i think it still is in some...but not taboo in most

Disco Potato
01-21-2007, 07:59 PM
So, why is it that sex is so taboo in some countries?

I think the prevailing religious beliefs of people in a country (and the degree to which people adhere to the beliefs) affect taboos in some ways.

Madame Adequate
01-21-2007, 08:11 PM

There's a difference between bad and private.

Private is when you don't talk about it to people you don't know well. That is very far from the opinions of a lot of people, who treat mere reference to sex as on par with course swearing, and consider depictions of sex more significant than depictions of severe violence.

Hambone
01-21-2007, 08:24 PM
In the case of the United States; Victorian Era.

^^^

My brother said to put that...

DarkLadyNyara
01-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Often, taboos are due to religion. This is especially notable among, say, America's religious right (opposes a vaccine for cervical cancer on the grounds on immorality), or in many Muslim countries.

Your mind is several decades in the past, nowadays sex isnt taboo in any countries.
You...you're kidding, right? Please tell me you are kidding.

Rocket Edge
01-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Often, taboos are due to religion.
Yep. Here it's kinda like, nobody really talks about it much at all because it's considered a private thing for that person. A more than likely good thing.

Dreddz
01-21-2007, 10:14 PM
You...you're kidding, right? Please tell me you are kidding.

Nope. Everyone seems to be mixing up actual countries with religions, cults etc. Even the middle eastern countries arent up in arms over it.

Mirage
01-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Your source on that? :p

Ashley Schovitz
01-21-2007, 11:41 PM
When is sex taboo if it was then whatever countires you are talking about would've have extinct. They might not just allow sex before marriage, but to completely taboo it, nonsense!

Mirage
01-21-2007, 11:43 PM
I suppose he means the taboo is on talking about it. It definitely isn't in my circles though, but I hardly communicate with most parts of the world.

Mikztsu
01-22-2007, 12:33 AM
I was writing a long post, but I decided to scratch it all and ask before writing anything: are we talking about premartial sex here or sex in general?

Because sure I can see if in some cultures premarital sex in considered as bad and shameful, but that's just about it.

Bad attitude towards sex in general anywhere ( even muslim countries which were mentioned)... I haven't noticed anything.

Like girls that sleep around are considered a lower class sort of thing and no will want to marry you. :3

I might not be from your culture, but I also would've never wanted a girlfriend who is...uhh, very experienced in bed ( edit: by this I mean LOTS of partners). Nothing against someone as persons if they choose to have one-nighters and enjoy them - it's just something I personally find opposite to attractive.

Was what I just said considered as bad and tabooish towards sex? :> ...j/k (ish). :)

Renmiri
01-22-2007, 01:05 AM
Not taboo, nowadays it is even wise with all the STDs and AIDS. The less partners the better.

Though I'd recommend against waiting for a virgin to "start". They are a rarity nowadays so you may look for a looong time ;) And when you find her / him you will have to marry the virgin. Don't even think of getting "it" then breaking up later. It is the cruelest thing ever to do to someone who reserved their first time for YOU. Only jerks do it.

Ki Ki
01-22-2007, 01:36 AM

I might not be from your culture, but I also would've never wanted a girlfriend who is...uhh, very experienced in bed. Nothing against someone as persons if they choose to have one-nighters and enjoy them - it's just something I personally find opposite to attractive.

Was what I just said considered as bad and tabooish towards sex? :> ...j/k (ish). :)

Ah you have a point.
But some guys find that veri hawt. >_<

As in girls have to be pure, quiet, good at cooking, cleaning. Like in the old days!
It's also more a religious thing. Like the third precept. :)

Dr Aum
01-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Even deeper than puritanism and other paradigms that have historically shunned public sexuality, I'd wager that there are two forces at work:
1) Sexuality is an intensely personal experience, one that makes an individual feel self-satisfied, and therefore its restriction and demonization benefit leaders who desire more devotion and less independence from their followers. Cf. 1984 by Orwell.
2) Sexuality can produce extremely volatile emotions, and so the stoic philosophy that has extended from sections of ancient Greece to modern authoritarian regimes and even large controlling groups in current non-authoritarian societies (e.g. religions) represses sexuality in order to promote the [silly] idea of happiness through emotional stability.

Oh, and by the way, Foucault is the man.

Madame Adequate
01-22-2007, 02:28 AM
Even deeper than puritanism and other paradigms that have historically shunned public sexuality, I'd wager that there are two forces at work:
1) Sexuality is an intensely personal experience, one that makes an individual feel self-satisfied, and therefore its restriction and demonization benefit leaders who desire more devotion and less independence from their followers. Cf. 1984 by Orwell.
2) Sexuality can produce extremely volatile emotions, and so the stoic philosophy that has extended from sections of ancient Greece to modern authoritarian regimes and even large controlling groups in current non-authoritarian societies (e.g. religions) represses sexuality in order to promote the [silly] idea of happiness through emotional stability.

Oh, and by the way, Foucault is the man.

This is absolutely the best post on EoFF at this time. I support 100%.

Not taboo, nowadays it is even wise with all the STDs and AIDS. The less partners the better.

Though I'd recommend against waiting for a virgin to "start". They are a rarity nowadays so you may look for a looong time ;) And when you find her / him you will have to marry the virgin. Don't even think of getting "it" then breaking up later. It is the cruelest thing ever to do to someone who reserved their first time for YOU. Only jerks do it.

Whilst I kind of agree with the second point, I disagree with the first one. Sex as a taboo doesn't stop sex, it merely stops discussion of sex, and it's pretty well-evidenced that people who grow up in societies which can have open discussion about it are broadly speaking sexually healthier than those who don't.

escobert
01-22-2007, 02:30 AM
I have no idea since I haven't had sex there! Only the USA for me! :p

Renmiri
01-22-2007, 06:37 AM
Foucault is the man.

This is absolutely the best post on EoFF at this time. I support 100%.
I liked it too. I should read Focault :D

Not taboo....

Whilst I kind of agree with the second point, I disagree with the first one. Sex as a taboo doesn't stop sex, it merely stops discussion of sex, and it's pretty well-evidenced that people who grow up in societies which can have open discussion about it are broadly speaking sexually healthier than those who don't.
Sexually healthier in terms of enjoying it more and having less psychosis ?

I agree with you but you know what the taboo makers say ? The "depraved West" has more STDs, teen pregnancy, divorce and abortions because of the West's liberal ways. To them healthy sex = long successful marriages. (And mightily bored hubbies and wives ;) )

Christmas
01-22-2007, 10:45 AM
YOU GET HANG AND YOUR BODY RIP APART IF YOU HAVE SEX IN THE LAND OF HATRED. :(

Renmiri
01-22-2007, 04:25 PM
YOU GET HANG AND YOUR BODY RIP APART IF YOU HAVE SEX IN THE LAND OF HATRED. :(

I thought that was done DURING sex there! :p

Madame Adequate
01-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Sexually healthier in terms of enjoying it more and having less psychosis ?

I agree with you but you know what the taboo makers say ? The "depraved West" has more STDs, teen pregnancy, divorce and abortions because of the West's liberal ways. To them healthy sex = long successful marriages. (And mightily bored hubbies and wives ;) )

Partly enjoying it more and being mentally healthier about it, but partly lower rates of STDs, teen pregnancy, and so forth as well. Open European countries have lesser problems in such areas than the US does, for example. And within the US, the bible belt has higher incidents of those things than the liberal coasts do.