PDA

View Full Version : ~Customers rights?~read on...

gun1
01-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Extracted from New Straits Times Malaysia

Spotlight: The ugly side of Malaysian shoppers
21 Jan 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snot smeared on chairs, urine and faeces on the floor and dirty diapers on top of shelves — these are the ‘souvenirs’ left behind by Malaysian shoppers for retail staff to clear up every day. TAN CHOE CHOE, CHAI MEI LING and MALINA JEYA PALAN reveal some shocking Malaysian shopping behaviour.

WORKING in the retail industry in Malaysia takes more than just a pleasant personality and an interest in sales.

You need a strong stomach and loads of patience too.

You need that as some of our shoppers treat retailers’ premises as dumping grounds or toilets, and the retail staff as their personal maids.

Some Malaysians just do not know what proper shopping etiquette is.

Walk into any hypermarket on a weekend and you can see misplaced items on almost every aisle.

These are things that customers want to buy but change their mind about, so they "conveniently" leave them on a nearby shelf.

"Some customers also open pre-packed items to try them out. Sometimes spillage occurs and our staff have to clean up after them," said Yuswanis Yusof, public relations and corporate communications manager of a hypermarket chain.

Yuswanis said her company practised the "customers are always right" policy and staff were trained to quickly replenish any damaged goods and ensure that items put on the wrong shelves were reorganised immediately.

House detectives, she said, were employed to "discreetly" remind customers who "forget" to pay after taking an item.

Even bookstores, the supposed meeting point of educated people, are not spared.

You can find torn books to crumpled origami figurines and carpets stained with urine and faeces. Rodney Toh, MPH Bookstores Sdn Bhd area manager in 1 Utama, has seen them all.

While children are the ones who usually damage the items, the biggest problem is parents who do not care, said Toh.

"I’ve seen a teenage boy cutting out a picture from a book and his parents just looking on without saying anything," he said.

Some parents also have no qualms about joining their children to do certain exercises in a workbook and then leave the store without paying for it.

"There are those who get very defensive when we point out that their children have mistreated our books."

Toh cited one incident where, instead of apologising for her four-year-old daughter who had ripped out the pages of a book, the mother faulted the staff "for not teaching children how to properly handle books".

Besides being a "library" to customers who read its books for free, MPH had also become "a nursery for some parents to dump their kids", said the company’s marketing manager, Renee Koh.

Children as young as four years old have been left behind for hours in MPH’s Kidszone by parents who go off shopping.

"In one of our stores some time back, a small girl cried for her parents for hours until she vomited. When I saw her, she was all alone in a pool of vomit. We had to clean her up and locate her parents — who were shopping without a care in the world," said Toh.

A child also once defecated at the Kidszone and a member of the staff had to clean up the place and replace the carpeting, he added.

Children could be forgiven for lack of supervision but when adults mistreated books, it became unacceptable behaviour, said Koh.

"Malaysians think they can always go to the competitor if we do not give them the service they demand.

"So they think nothing of it when they damage our goods, disregard our warning or exhibit rude behaviour."

He said a customer once tore a discount voucher and threw it at the cashier when he was told that he needed to make a purchase before he could get the discount.

Personal hygiene is a priority in every store but some customers make it very difficult for retailers to maintain that.

A store manager of a well-known clothing retailer in Mid Valley Megamall in Kuala Lumpur said some customers liked to try on the bikini bottoms, despite the "no-trying" policy.

"One even stained it with her vaginal discharge. She rolled up the piece and passed it to our staff before quickly leaving the store," said the store manager who only wanted to be known as Aini.

"The soiled bikini bottom had to be thrown away."

Visibly upset when she related the incident, Aini said some customers "are inconsiderate and lack basic hygiene values".

In another incident, she saw a middle-aged woman pick her nose and smear the snot onto a nearby stool while waiting for her daughter to come out of the changing room.

"It was so disgusting! As soon as she left, my employee and I cleaned the stool."

There were also occasions when customers with feet of different sizes swapped slippers before making their purchase, "leaving us with ill-paired stocks", she said.

Some women shoppers like to try on clothes a few sizes smaller, thus tearing up the clothes.

"Of course, they don’t pay for them," said Aini.

Some retailers have the policy that "goods sold are not returnable", but a lingerie store’s retail manager who wanted to be known as Rachel, said customers still insisted on exchanging the items they had bought.

"We told them that it was against our company’s policy but they still argued with us and asked us to change them."

One of the last things one would expect to find when shopping in a toy store is a soiled diaper wedged between some toy boxes.

Chong, 38, who works for a giant toy store in Bangsar, said she noticed a couple with a baby entering the store and later discovered "a poo-filled diaper" after they had left.

"Some parents also treat our shop as a playground and leave their children here while they shop. When their children play with our toys and spoil them, they just leave without paying," she added.

Some customers litter her shop, leaving behind things like ice-cream cones and water bottles.

"The least they could do is ask us for a rubbish bin," she said.

Koh said customers were generally sincere and well-behaved.

"But there are some bad apples. Because of them, we have incurred losses up to hundreds of thousands of ringgit a year on damaged goods."

Hasbeemasputra Abu Bakar, 32, who worked in a toy store for about two years, said: "For us staff on the ground, such appalling shopping behaviour can really jack up our stress levels."

So what do you think? Pst your comments :D

Christmas
01-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Snot smeared on chairs, urine and faeces on the floor and dirty diapers on top of shelves — these are the ‘souvenirs’ left behind by Malaysian shoppers for retail staff to clear up every day.

NANNY MANUS visited that shop. :(

Roto13
01-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Malaysians suck.

Old Manus
01-22-2007, 04:40 PM
lol Resha

Renmiri
01-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Ewwwww!

Hire zookeepers!

Christmas
01-22-2007, 04:41 PM
lol Resha

:mad2:

Reles
01-22-2007, 05:04 PM
This is disgusting and I didn't know people could be so disrespectful. I wonder if that's how they treat their homes and their belongings, if so, that's quite animalistic. If I were working in any of those stores, I could not tolerate to be a babysitter or a janitor, I can't even tolerate talking to people who don't have any common courtesy whatsoever.

Bunny
01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Hahahahaha

Jowy
01-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah, screw that.

edczxcvbnm
01-22-2007, 05:33 PM
I wonder how many of them visit western countries and are arrested for this sort of behavior?

escobert
01-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Well that sucks, Resh Resh stop crapping on floors and opening food!

Madame Adequate
01-22-2007, 08:58 PM
I wonder how many of them visit western countries and are arrested for this sort of behavior?

I thought the same thing.

Ryth
01-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Why is everyone crapping everywhere?

NorthernChaosGod
01-22-2007, 10:05 PM
I think it's time Malaysia got turned into molten glass.

Tavrobel
01-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Wow, that's hilarious, that and

Why is everyone crapping everywhere?

vorpal blade
01-22-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm staying the hell out of Malaysia then.

"Malaysians think they can always go to the competitor if we do not give them the service they demand.

Let the competitors take them! Then your competitors have to deal with it. And while you won't get as many shoppers, you'll probably save a lot of money by not having your merchandise get destroyed.

Ryth
01-22-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm staying the hell out of Malaysia then.

Let the competitors take them! Then your competitors have to deal with it. And while you won't get as many shoppers, you'll probably save a lot of money by not having your merchandise get destroyed.

And you won't have poop everywhere.

Cruise Control
01-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Can you imagine going to get a box of Cocoa Krispies, and seeing a dude taking a dump in the middle of the aisle?

Anaisa
01-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I can. But I don't want to.

vorpal blade
01-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Stay away from their chocolate pudding. And lemonade. You never know where it came from.

Peegee
01-23-2007, 02:29 PM
'Customer is always right' is not an accurate statement. A more accurate statement is that 'customers know what they want' and if you don't give them it, they buy it elsewhere.

However this is not the case. In this case, you don't want these customers period. Throw them out. Lunacy. If this was done in America I hope to God somebody gets sued (small claims court).

fire_of_avalon
01-23-2007, 04:27 PM

You think this doesn't happen in other places? I worked in a department store for two years, and saw this type of thing all the time. I could tell you stories. Once, a shop lifter got caught by our security people wearing four or five pairs of underwear and two pairs of pants out of the store. When she realized she was caught, she peed on herself so the clothes would have to be disposed of.

I've found used tampons in the floor of the business wear shopping area, not in the fitting rooms. In the fitting rooms I've found puddles of urine, poop, dirty diapers, spit, snot and all manner of gross things better left inside the body.

And then you have the bitches who wear heavy make up and try on clothes. Orangey brown stains on everything, and we have to either mark them as losses or mark them down for other customers.

So yeah, it's not just a Malaysian thing. This :skull::skull::skull::skull: happens everywhere. Grrrr, now I'm mad.

EDIT: OH! And even better than all of this are the teenagers who try to have sex in the fitting rooms. Sometimes, they succeed.

Retail sucks. All of you people should be ashamed of yourselves!

Peegee
01-23-2007, 05:37 PM
I really mean that if caught you can do something about it. I can't be held at fault for making generalisations when you can't be omniscient :p

But seriously, I am mad too >:(

edczxcvbnm
01-23-2007, 07:07 PM

You think this doesn't happen in other places? I worked in a department store for two years, and saw this type of thing all the time. I could tell you stories. Once, a shop lifter got caught by our security people wearing four or five pairs of underwear and two pairs of pants out of the store. When she realized she was caught, she peed on herself so the clothes would have to be disposed of.

I've found used tampons in the floor of the business wear shopping area, not in the fitting rooms. In the fitting rooms I've found puddles of urine, poop, dirty diapers, spit, snot and all manner of gross things better left inside the body.

And then you have the bitches who wear heavy make up and try on clothes. Orangey brown stains on everything, and we have to either mark them as losses or mark them down for other customers.

So yeah, it's not just a Malaysian thing. This :skull::skull::skull::skull: happens everywhere. Grrrr, now I'm mad.

EDIT: OH! And even better than all of this are the teenagers who try to have sex in the fitting rooms. Sometimes, they succeed.

All of this is where being a guy rocks. I wear size 32x32 and I wear XXL shirts...or medium if they are dress shirts. The XXL is a preference thing. As a result of knowing this...I don't ever need to try anything on. The last thing I tried on was a Cardigan and that was because it is more of a coat type thing for the office. Needed to make sure it would feel right and be thick enough over another shirt. I didn't need the dressing room for that.

I also don't shop for clothing very often either...ya know...being a guy. I just had my deca-annual shopping thing. I don't need to buy clothes for another 10 years :D

All of that stuff must go right over my head because I don't shop like that all that often.

NorthernChaosGod
01-23-2007, 08:13 PM

It's not hard to pull off, I've done it several times.

Bunny
01-23-2007, 08:25 PM

That would just be too weird. I'm such a firm believer that there are cameras behind those god forsaken mirrors that I will actually get into a corner to change my clothes while inside a changing room. Seriously, I am too paranoid for that crap.

And yeah, I'm aware that it probably isn't true. But on a scale of one to ten, my paranoia is about 125.

Vikeve
01-23-2007, 08:40 PM
This thread is horribly disgusting but.... I can't.... stop laughing.:D

Oh, God this is horrible I may never go shopping again.:( I'll just wear a box or a couple of stcicks and leaves from now on.

Momiji
01-24-2007, 12:28 AM
That is so disgusting. Fortunately, most of that stuff I see in the men's bathrooms at department stores...not in the shopping area. I can't tolerate public bathrooms though, especially at school. That's just another thing I hate about other guys. I've seen everything from umm...waste products smeared on walls, on the toilet paper roll, on the floor, on the toilet itself to semen in the same areas. It's disgusting. There's writing on the walls as well (though I'm guilty of that. XD). I'm always half tempted to use the girls' room in hopes of something a little more hygenic. But there are cameras in almost every hallway at school, so I can't get away with it. Most times I just wait until I get home. ^^

But anyway, this is sickening.

DarkLadyNyara
01-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Disgusting. Unfortunatly, I'm not suprised. I am incapable of being shocked at the lack of class or dignity of some people. I say we sic animal control on them. (kidding-sort of)

The thing that really gets me is the leaving the kids behind for hours. If that happened at a store I worked at, I would call CPS. Child abandonment and all. :mad: