PDA

View Full Version : Family Guy- Just a tad discriminating?

Dagga
01-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Like it says on the title. Eg. back to the future spoof:

doc brown: Quick Marty we have to go to the future. Your daughter is going to marry a black man!
Marty: I'm actually kind of ok with that.
Doc: Oh um...

I can asure you there are plenty more.

Not the exact words but close enough.
What do you think, fling your opinions.

Kirobaito
01-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Family Guy is full of discriminating humor. It's part of the show. Most of the time, though, it parodies modern society and in some way calls out the social ills as illogical.

Araciel
01-22-2007, 08:11 PM
yes the whole point of the jokes is to deface intolerance, not to promote it

ljkkjlcm9
01-22-2007, 08:11 PM
After seeing the South Park episodes that pointed out how absurd Family Guy really is, it lost it's humor. Futurama was a better show. But Family Guy is suppose to make fun of everything.

THE JACKEL

Araciel
01-22-2007, 08:12 PM
and as for south park, it's a platform for the writers to voice their opinions about the world and make jokes...but they admit that

Tavrobel
01-22-2007, 08:14 PM
As said before, the whole point of Family guy is to make fun of things, but other times, they are just random.

MecaKane
01-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah, you know what else was a discriminating show? "All in the Family" :rolleyes2

Madame Adequate
01-22-2007, 08:48 PM
It's rainin' sideways!

Captain Maxx Power
01-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Family Guy is discriminating, but only because the world in large is full of discriminating people in the first place.

Aemilius Blight
01-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Most adult cartoons wouldn't be half as funny as they are if they didn't go out of their way to be racist, sexist and generally politically incorrect.

oddler
01-23-2007, 12:57 AM
Blackuweather meteorologist for the win.

I enjoy Family Guy because of those jokes. Not that I take them seriously, though.

Avarice-ness
01-23-2007, 01:08 AM
If family guy didn't offend atleast one person every episode, then the show would end up vanishing.

I dunno though, I was excited when the show came back but now it seems to just be repeating the same old stuff in newer situations or just make them way too dramatic. Kind of like the fall of the Simpsons.

Vermachtnis
01-23-2007, 01:14 AM
The Olie Blackie Weather report is a little more insulting then the Back to the Future skit. But it's Family Guy and that's what they do.

blim
01-23-2007, 01:21 AM
a pedant writes: Discriminating is the wrong word in this context, possibly discriminatory.

anyway, i've not seen the episode you quoted but from what you say it seems to be (as someone else already said) mocking racism rather than condoning it

Madame Adequate
01-23-2007, 01:46 AM
I don't think you get to be pedantic about the language if you keep missing periods and capital letters.

blim
01-23-2007, 01:50 AM
I don't think you get to be pedantic about the language if you keep missing periods and capital letters.

Well, I don't get pedantic about grammar. And everyone is welcome to ignore me.

Dr Aum
01-23-2007, 02:05 AM
Yeah, you know what else was a discriminating show? "All in the Family" :rolleyes2

This is a wonderful comment. All in the Family was a remarkable show in that it actually made serious commentary on societal ills while also being uproariously funny, much unlike similar shows (LaVerne & Shirley comes to mind). The way in which it goes about this is actually similar to Family Guy, as far as the humor integration, main character types, &c go, except of course that it was live-action and more serious. If you've never watched it, consider this a personal recommendation.

krissy
01-23-2007, 02:08 AM
hey, look, a woman learning!

oddler
01-23-2007, 02:14 AM
Is it really discriminatory if you put down everyone? :p

Araciel
01-23-2007, 04:18 AM
if you tkae turns on them, sure

NorthernChaosGod
01-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Just like South Park, Family Guy takes shots at everyone and everything. You can't really be discriminatory if you make fun of everything.

Also, as already stated, it's defacing intolerance.

Shlup
01-23-2007, 06:08 AM
It's funny.

Mirage
01-23-2007, 06:16 AM
Is it really discriminatory if you put down everyone? :p
Nop, you treat everyone equally bad :p

Laddy
01-23-2007, 12:59 PM
It mocks the discriminating, more likely, IMO. However, a REALLY discriminating show is....

THE DISCRIMINATION SHOW!

escobert
01-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Most adult cartoons wouldn't be half as funny as they are if they didn't go out of their way to be racist, sexist and generally politically incorrect.

QFT

Momiji
01-24-2007, 04:17 AM
Greased-up deaf guy, Asian reporter Trisha Takanawa, Cleveland... yeah, it's mean, but funny. Besides, it's racist against everyone. If you hadn't noticed, white guy Peter Griffin is a fat dumbass. It picks on everything.

jrgen
01-24-2007, 10:05 AM
If you hadn't noticed, white guy Peter Griffin is a fat dumbass.
He's actually black.

Fonzie
01-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Olli Willams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIhHM4_5Bgg) I like the show, even though Futurama is much better.

Strider
01-24-2007, 06:11 PM
It's nowhere near as bad as American Dad.

Bunny
01-24-2007, 06:15 PM
I like when people get offended by jokes. It is hilarious.

Lynx
01-24-2007, 06:18 PM
i actually found that back to the future spoof funny my friend who is black even found it funny. the show is discriminating againt everyone and thats one of the things that makes the show good because your laughing and not being raceist because you laugh at yourself too.

Kenji Longaway
01-24-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm partially black and I thought that skit was hilarious.
And South Park is my favorite show. Even though I am Jewish. Thats why I have a big nose.

Momiji
01-25-2007, 01:34 AM
If you hadn't noticed, white guy Peter Griffin is a fat dumbass.
He's actually black.

Okay, okay...well... Quagmire is a sex-obsessed pervert. Does that count then?

Ashley Schovitz
01-25-2007, 02:19 AM
Yeah it is and it's Stewie and Brian who are. Stewie says when he's about to go unconscious "Not to take him to a black doctor" and also there were many times when he tried to secretly do black jokes behind a black guy's back. With Brian when he tries to convince someone that he's not racist and asks for the family's support they reply "huh huh, oy yeah" all unenthusiastically. So yeah It is.

Momiji
01-25-2007, 02:23 AM
Yeah it is and it's Stewie and Brian who are. Stewie says when he's about to go unconscious "Not to take him to a black doctor" and also there were many times when he tried to secretly do black jokes behind a black guy's back. With Brian when he tries to convince someone that he's not racist and asks for the family's support they reply "huh huh, oy yeah" all unenthusiastically. So yeah It is.

Yeah, we realize it is racist, but it doesn't just pick on one. It makes fun of everybody. (Yes, they even made fun of emo kids in a couple episodes, so shut up.)

Hambone
01-27-2007, 04:41 AM
Family Guy is my favorite show, Stewie being my favorite character. I don't mind discrimitive and racist things on the show, as I am from the south. They make fun of people that live below Virginia and I am perfectly fine with that. It's too funny to get mad at the suff on there.

Tom Tucker: Is there anything we can get you, Ollie?

Ollie Williams: Bring me some soup!

Tom Tucker: What kind?

Ollie Williams: Chocolate!

I Took the Red Pill
01-27-2007, 05:02 AM
Family Guy is my favorite show, Stewie being my favorite character. I don't mind discrimitive and racist things on the show, as I am from the south. They make fun of people that live below Virginia and I am perfectly fine with that. It's too funny to get mad at the suff on there.

Tom Tucker: Is there anything we can get you, Ollie?

Ollie Williams: Bring me some soup!

Tom Tucker: What kind?

Ollie Williams: Chocolate!He says Chunky, not chocolate.

Wtfmate
01-27-2007, 06:20 AM
If you take Family Guy seriously, then I don't know what to say. Don't watch it?

Momiji
01-28-2007, 04:40 AM
If you take Family Guy seriously, then I don't know what to say. Don't watch it?

That's the way I think of it.

Kenji Longaway
01-28-2007, 05:35 AM

That's the way I think of it.

Win.