PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever owned a pet?

Kenji Longaway
01-23-2007, 07:12 AM
The last time I checked California law regarding animals sometime in December...humans can no longer be regarded as an animals "Master". Instead they are now there "caretakers", so to speak.
Why should I care, you ask? I was browsing around at the pound. I have given some thought about purchasing a Felis Catus. Or perhaps a Domestic kanine.
But then I remembered my vowing to a past loved one. I vowed to my bunny Evan that I would never own another creature after his passing. It was so hard to accept that he was gone. He died so horribly; from a black widow bite. He suffered a lot for about three months before his body just finally gave up. I wasn't there when he died. In some ways I am glad wasn't, in others I wish I could have comforted him.
He had what is called a myocardio infraction.
I couldn't accept that he was gone. I didn't bury him until the next day. Rigorous mortem and all. I still checked his pulse just to see if he was alive; to no avail.
Maybe I was too attached to him. I was on home shool at the time because my family was moving, and I didn't have any other friends.
Today would have been the anniversary of the first time I named him. I named him Evan because his phenotype originate from Holand. He was Dutch. "Holly Lop". That is what the sign specified him as when I bought him.

I really feel that animals should be free if a person cannot give them the proper attention they need. I could have done a better job of caring for Evan. He needed to be with his own kind. Who am I to take him from his parents, and family? Because that is what I did. I saw his parents in the cage with him before I bought him. They all looked so unhappy, I wish I hadn't broke up their family.

Should people be allowed to be the "Masters" of animals?

Should we be allowed to have pets? Or are we doing more harm than good?

Leeza
01-23-2007, 07:24 AM
<i>Should people be allowed to be the "Masters" of animals?</i>
No, but Caretaker sounds about right though.

<i>Should we be allowed to have pets?</i>
Yes, but I think that there should probably be some sort of questionaire on how to properly care for the type of animal you wish to have before you are allowed to have one.

<i>Or are we doing more harm than good?</i>
This totally depends on the <i>care</i> of the Caretaker.

theundeadhero
01-23-2007, 11:01 AM
I wish I promised myself not to cry today :cry:

Jojee
01-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Black widow bite D:? 3 months!? D:

I'm scared u_u Those spiders were all around my house where I used to live, I used to see them all the time.

But honestly I'm sure that many pets have a lot better life than they would out in the wild. x3

Jowy
01-23-2007, 03:34 PM
I have a betta fish named Lenneth. She's been around for almost a year. She's not going to do anything outside of that bowl, so I figure keeping her water clean, feeding her, and keeping her safe is mutually appreciated. I consider myself to be her caretaker and not a type of master. As long as you're capable of common sense, I see no problem with anyone owning a pet.

Bunny
01-23-2007, 03:54 PM
When I was younger I owned three cats; a mother, a father, and their child. My babysitter and his friend's put them in a bag and drowned them in a nearby river. I then got a dog, Rosie, who proceded to sleep with every other dog in my town and then one day got hit by a car outside of my house. She was dragged a few miles. The next day she came walking up to my house without a visible wound. She ran away.

Then I got another cat, Kirby, who I suspect was given away before we moved to another state, but the story is that he ran away. During Kirby I had two mice from a friend of mine. He knocked their cages over and gave one a heart attack by chasing it around in a circle. The other one was chewed up by my older brother's cat.

Since Kirby, I haven't had a pet. I don't have good luck with them, as you can see.

Reles
01-23-2007, 04:07 PM
My current cat Meo used to be a stray and I doubt his life would be as luxurous if we hadn't taken him in as a kitten. He loves his home, he loves lounging on my bed, eating cat food, and being let out for half the day to chase birds and squirrels. I don't think we took too much from him.

Old Manus
01-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Not even Doom music could make my cat any cooler.

EDIT: I actually don't have a cat, I just wanted to make that joke.

Christmas
01-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Instead they are now there "caretakers", so to speak.

NOT UNDERTAKER?

Breine
01-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Anyone who is responsible enough should be allowed to have a pet if they want to.

I have had 3 rabbits, several goldfish, some turtles and most recently my beloved dog, who passed away 1.5 years ago. I really miss him - he was such a good dog.
My little sister has two guinea pigs as of now as well.

I've decided that I want to have a dog again later on in my life. Probably a Husky or a Welsh Corgi.

Yamaneko
01-23-2007, 05:19 PM
But the question is, are you still master of your domain?

Quindiana Jones
01-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Yeah I have owned a pet. My old cat. I kicked it right in the face.

DarkLadyNyara
01-24-2007, 02:40 AM
Meh, I have no issue with pets, so long as you take good care of them. What I absolutly cannot stand is people who get an animal on a whim, decide they don't want it anymore, and simply release it. :mad: Make sure you know what you are getting into beforehand.