PDA

View Full Version : Dreamfall and the Longest Journey adventure series

Mikztsu
01-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Now let's see how few ( if any) replies this topic will get. :) I've learned there are not as many fans of good old point&click adventure games in these forums as there should be. That's why I'm hoping some people would try out newer releases such as this Dreamfall and new Sam & Max games so you'd become more familiar with the genre and how rewarding and fun these games can be.

Anyone here played the marvelous adventure game early 2000 called "The Longest Journey"? It's sequel Dreamfall was published many months ago and I just now got around to play it. I think I've played about 30% of the game and while the story is good as expected, my big gripe is that they've added action stuff there, such as fighting. Gladly these battles in game don't occur often at all, but my opinion has always been that keep adventure in point&click adventure games and if you want to play an action game, buy one. Also this game is way too easy for my standards, and some puzzles so far have been too simple. :(

It's the good story and curiousity whatever happened to April ( main character in The Longest Journey) that still makes this a good game in my eyes.

Dreamfall review @ Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/longestjourney2wt/review.html

It's prequel The Longest Journey: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/longestjourney/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary

Odaisé Gaelach
01-23-2007, 02:44 PM
The Longest Journey is an amazing game, and so is Dreamfall.

Dreamfall is flawed, but when it gets it right, it really gets it right. :D

Levian
01-23-2007, 03:45 PM
I've been looking at this game very much, and it looks interesting. My sister and I are both huge fans of point & click games, but she didn't like this game and told me I shouldn't buy it. So yeah, I took her word for it since we're like game soul mates. Didn't really like the Broken Sword game for PS2 either.

I'll buy it if they lower the price though.

escobert
01-23-2007, 03:48 PM
I've yet to play these but, I'd like to check them out ^_^

Mikztsu
01-23-2007, 03:50 PM
I've been looking at this game very much, and it looks interesting. My sister and I are both huge fans of point & click games, but she didn't like this game and told me I shouldn't buy it. So yeah, I took her word for it since we're like game soul mates. Didn't really like the Broken Sword game for PS2 either.

I'll buy it if they lower the price though.

I'm assuming you're now talking about Broken Sword 3, eventhough BS1 and BS2 were PS2 releases as well ( eventhough they were also released on PC). :)

You should play the regardless if you like the genre. They still have good puzzles and have a lot to offer. If not that, for stories continuation sake at least ( For example as a fan of Broken Swords and Longest Journey I just can't pass their new releases). Broken Sword 3 was bad in some ways, such as those annoying box puzzles but the story and game otherwise was great.

JKTrix
01-23-2007, 04:15 PM
The DS and the Wii are both awesome platforms for these kinds of games.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 just came out today for the DS, and it's supposed to be really good. It's more of a 'Visual Novel' than a traditional point n' click. Phoenix Wright is another good and similarly styled DS game.

Odaisé Gaelach
01-23-2007, 06:29 PM
My sister and I are both huge fans of point & click games, but she didn't like this game and told me I shouldn't buy it.

It's not exactly a point-and-click game. Dreamfall isn't perfect, true enough. However, if you liked the Longest Journey, then you should like Dreamfall.

Mirage
01-23-2007, 06:35 PM
I should play these games just out of patriotism, but I've yet to do so.

Ender
01-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I own Dreamfall, but the 3D was giving me a headache. And every time I try to restart I never get out of the house...I can't bring myself to dress her. :D

As for the Longest Journey, awesome game, very cool story that deserves more exploration in games and literature. It might even be the best point-and-click fantasy-adventure game ever made, but it's not without it's flaws. There's nothing wrong with exploring the history and mythology of Arcadia, but choosing to bog April down in Arcadia for the third quarter of the game to do so, when it should have been building to a climax, is just poor storytelling. The, you-must-(randomly)-travel-here-and-do-this-before-you-move-on thing betrayed a game that had made a lot of progress towards transcending the sequential, talk-fetch-use feel of adventure games up until the point. And the ending was disappointing, pending a playthrough of Dreamfall...okay, cool twist or whatever, I certainly don't need to be The One, but my character was certainly a lot more powerful/capable than any random person would have been, so I need something more than Arcadia is saved and I can go home and tell stories. IOW, knowing the ending, had there not been a sequel, I probably never would have played it again.

Mikztsu
01-24-2007, 09:08 PM
OMFG the ending...

I just finished this game and it left so many questions and so many issues and evil resolved. I went instantly to read, and found out that there will be a 3rd part in The Longest Journey series continuing where Dreamfall left. Game ended where you'd think story is halfway.

And I still hate all those fighting and sneaking sequences in these games, they just don't fit! I want to be relaxed while solving a puzzle, not semi-stressed whether someone will see me now or not. Really, they don't have to add that stuff in adventure games like these - if people want to sneak/action, they can go buy a game of that genre. Glad there wasn't too much of it and it was pretty easy, but still. Took a lot of enjoyment out of my Dreamfall experience.

Great, great story and I can't wait for the third part to end this trilogy.

Rostum
01-25-2007, 04:37 AM
I am very much so into the Myst series (favourites being Riven and Revelations). And I am defenately interested ini obtaining Dreamfall and The Longest Journey -- though at the moment I'm strapped for cash until I start my new job.