PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo has let me down

Roto13
01-23-2007, 02:49 PM
My DS is borked. The top LCD screen is all cracked. About a quarter of the pixels are now dead. Nintendo is supposed to make durable handhelds! It should be able to withstand me trying to force open a frozen door while it's in my pocket. :P I haven't been this overwhelmingly upset since I got frustrated and smashed my original Game Boy against my forehead and broke it when I was six.

Now I just have to decide whether to get it fixed or just buy a new one. I don't want a Lite. :/

Anyway, discuss your broken handhelds or consoles or anything like that.

Markus. D
01-23-2007, 02:52 PM
To bad :(

hmmm. consoles... I broke my SNES T-T powerpack.

Agent Proto
01-23-2007, 02:56 PM
I still have my DS and it's currently being unused.

If you want it, let me know Roto, as I may be able to send it to you. ;D

As for broekn consoles, I had a broken PS2. Intentionally broken because my brother was trying to "modify" it. XD

lufia
01-23-2007, 03:03 PM
haha just send it back and get it repaired(they probaly just send u a brand new 1), tho it cost you if you intentionally banged it up? rage ? :D

Nightmare of darkness
01-23-2007, 03:26 PM
i droped mine 10 time and it did not brake

Necronopticous
01-23-2007, 03:39 PM
The DS Fat design is awful, paired with the fact that you can barely see the displays with the inferior backlighting. Use this as an excuse to get a DS Lite. You'll be happy.

Levian
01-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Ouch, that's gotta hurt. Never broken anything myself, but when I was a kid we used to hide all the SNES games around in the house and people would go looking for them, and I kinda lost Lost Vikings. Ironic, I know. Now they are really lost. I know it's still in the house, though.

JKTrix
01-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Get a Lite, dammit. You'll get used to it, then you'll adore it.

Did the door slam into the DS when it finally opened, or what?

escobert
01-23-2007, 03:43 PM
I only have broken one hand held I believe and that was a original Gameboy screen. I dropped it on cement. I've dropped my DS a few times and it's fine.

Vermachtnis
01-23-2007, 03:50 PM
I've never broken a consol, but I have gone through quite a few PS2 controllers.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Broke my NES power cord and my Genesis power thingy was always messed, not to mention after a while it would not recognize one of my remotes. I have a SNES but not working remotes too. *thinks what else* That is about it.

theundeadhero
01-23-2007, 04:24 PM
If the controller doesn't work take the screws out the back and dust off the contacts.

Roto13
01-23-2007, 04:45 PM
The DS Fat design is awful, paired with the fact that you can barely see the displays with the inferior backlighting. Use this as an excuse to get a DS Lite. You'll be happy.
Yes, yes, yes, I know you all love DS Lites, but I don't. I find the bigger design more comfortable and I have absolutely no problem seeing the screen with the backlight. Nobody complained about the lighting in the original model before the Lite came out.

Did the door slam into the DS when it finally opened, or what?
I was pressing up against the door full force. Goddamn Canadian winters. It's going to cost me $95 plus tax to get it fixed, if I go with that option.

If you want it, let me know Roto, as I may be able to send it to you. ;D
How much? ;P

escobert
01-23-2007, 05:12 PM
I'd just buy a new DS then, I picked mine up for $99 brand new at best buy. And yeah I prefer the regular DS to the lite. I <3 my blue DS

forgotten_fantasy
01-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Don't buy a new one. Though that is exactly what I did when my playstation 2 broke down. DS is not worth it.

escobert
01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
why? it would be $4 more then fixing it.

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-23-2007, 05:59 PM
If the controller doesn't work take the screws out the back and dust off the contacts.

That's how they broke. -__-; I cannot remember the details, but I think I remember something about a screw and it being stripped. I cannot remember now, it has been a few years.

Roto13
01-23-2007, 06:07 PM
I'd just buy a new DS then, I picked mine up for $99 brand new at best buy. And yeah I prefer the regular DS to the lite. I <3 my blue DS
That's $95 Canadian, but yeah. :P If I knew there was a standard DS in the area for sale, I'd definitely buy it for that much. It's just that I live in a crappy little town that doesn't have any actual stuff in it.

Don't buy a new one. Though that is exactly what I did when my playstation 2 broke down. DS is not worth it.
Are you kidding me? DS is awesome.

escobert
01-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Yeah I wondered if it was canadian dollars. so yeah proabably cheaper to just fix it.

Mercen-X
01-23-2007, 06:14 PM
I had a broken PS2.

Mine is simply a bit damaged. It's the hard-drive capable model that I battered angrily when I lost fighting or racing games. Can you guess why I like RPG's sooo much?

My father smashed my original NES in a fit of rage because I hadn't been doing my homework. Actually, it was his machine, it was a piece of crap that hardly ever worked, and I was spending most of my time on the Genesis.

My first PlayStation also rebelled after months of battering and I tried to repair it myself. All I ended up doing was disassembling it and losing all the parts. Some I kept in hopes of building a robot (Artoo-Detoo), which my dad promised we'd build. Blatant lie. Goofy bastard.

My second PlayStation is a little iffy. At least it can still play FF7.
I haven't been this overwhelmingly upset since I got frustrated and smashed my original Game Boy against my forehead and broke it when I was six.

Controllers, my friend. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, and a wireless. I inherited my anger management from my dad.

Roto13
01-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Yeah I wondered if it was canadian dollars. so yeah proabably cheaper to just fix it.

Well even with the money difference, I still thing it'd be worth the extra for a new one since my touch screen was kind of scratched up anyway. Be careful on the spinner parts of Elite Beat Agents. :P

JKTrix
01-23-2007, 08:17 PM
DS is not worth it.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/marioz.jpg
Them's fightin' words.

So if you send it to repair, they'll just fix it and not replace it? Hmm...
If you can afford to get a new DS, I'd suggest getting the new one first if you have any important info for the Nintendo WiFi. You can transfer all of your WiFi settings from one DS to another instead of having to re-enter all the stupid friend codes all over again, but you can only do it when you have both DSes in front of you. Then you can send your broken one to get fixed (meanwhile you'll still have a DS to play :P) and once you get it back you can sell either of the DSes.

Roto13
01-23-2007, 08:45 PM
If I get a new DS, I'm not blowing $95 on getting my old one fixed. :P I'm not going to buy something just to sell it later. I'd still lose money.

Bunny
01-23-2007, 09:00 PM
There is only one thing left for you to do:

Write a letter demanding a replacement, outlining your ideas of ways they can improve on the original Nintendo DS, and then threaten to kidnap their sons, daughters, and sport(s?)cars if your demands are not met by the seventh full moon of the New Year.

I personally haven't broken any video game systems, accessories, or games. However, my older brother once threw a Nintendo controller across the room because he could not beat a high numbered level on Bubble Bobble.

And my older brother and little brother have been waging a war with each other over who actually broke a red Game Boy Color about six years ago. My older brother claims he set it down gently, while my younger brother demands that he slammed it with such force that the screen shattered.

Me? I just sit back and play my blue Game Boy Color. Smirking.

Dreddz
01-23-2007, 10:56 PM
None of my consoles have broken apart from my PS2, which I replaced, then that one broke. After that I said to myself "Fuck Sony" and went into the guts of the PS2 to see if I could fix the problem. That I did, and a year on my PS2 still works fine.

Roto13
01-24-2007, 08:46 PM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/rotothirteen/OldHotness_resize.gif

:P

JKTrix
01-24-2007, 08:57 PM
DS LITE GET!

NorthernChaosGod
01-24-2007, 10:21 PM
I've only had three hardware related gaming failures/mishaps/whatever.

The plastic covering on my original Game Boy came off after I dropped it.

My PS2 is old and :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty, it almost refuses to read discs at all.

My Xbox controller's fans have stopped working, probably from leaving it on lying on a bed or the floor.

Rostum
01-25-2007, 04:54 AM
Reminds me of my friend who won't buy an MP3 player, because if he drops it, it might break. In other words, you should take better care of the new DS Lite you will be getting.

Necronopticous
01-25-2007, 05:20 AM
I have absolutely no problem seeing the screen with the backlight. Nobody complained about the lighting in the original model before the Lite came out.No one complained about the design of cellphones in the '80s, either.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1775000/images/_1778067_fonecash-bbc300.jpg

The only reason to stick with a DS fat at this point is budget or masochism.

Venom65437
01-25-2007, 05:25 AM
I've dropped my fat DS several times and it's just fine. I guess stuff I own is tough! :D

Roto13
01-25-2007, 12:11 PM
I have absolutely no problem seeing the screen with the backlight. Nobody complained about the lighting in the original model before the Lite came out.No one complained about the design of cellphones in the '80s, either.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1775000/images/_1778067_fonecash-bbc300.jpg

The only reason to stick with a DS fat at this point is budget or masochism.

Or personal preference of the feel. If someone else asked me which model they should get, I'd recommend the Lite. I still wish I had a working Phat. I suppose I'll get used to the Lite eventually....

Plus, I'm sentimental. I took the strap off my Phat and put it on my Lite. :P

Rainecloud
01-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Well done. It's a worthy investment.

Slicksword45
01-26-2007, 12:47 AM
The B button on my Phat is breaking :(

I kinda want the light though :)